Started With a Hello

Started With a Hello, Ended With a Goodbye

Thumbing through your shirts hanging in your closet, you stood in front of your rack of clothes just in a ped pair of jeans and a bra of your liking. Folding your arms over your exposed stomach, you tapped your lip while you wondered on what you should wear. Pushing some shirts aside to see others, you glanced down at the style of jeans you were wearing before pulling a comfortable yet nice looking t shirt from your hanger. Pulling it over your head, you slipped your arms through the appropriate holes in the shirt as you zipped up your jeans and turned around seeing the reflection of yourself in the full length mirror on the back of your closet door.

Lifting your hair out from under your shirt, you ran your fingers through your hair while your feet carried you to your bathroom. Working on your hair, you kept it down yet making it look nice and presentable for who you were meeting that day.
Once you were finished, your eyes scaled your body, making sure that everything was exactly how you wanted it to be. 

Exiting the bathroom, you wondered around your one bedroom apartment, cleaning and tiding things up so that when your guest came over it was nice and welcoming to him.

Picking up strewn clothes around the room, you loaded your washer with a load of laundry, heading back out to the living room, you a random playlist and folded blankets, stacking them in the linen closet in the hallway.

The first song that played instantly brought back memories, your heart began to pick up pace as you placed a blanket in the closet before lifting your phone from your back pocket. Opening your phone, you checked the messages just to see that he hadn’t backed out of coming to see you. The lyrics of the song took you back to the first memories that you had with the name at the top of the conversation.

The two of you met on a dating site, while you were looking for your current place almost a year prior, not meaning for anything to happen outside of talking. Messages were sent endlessly from one to another, even when you traveled back to where you were moving from. Packing and traveling took a toll on your chatting, yet the two of you always sent a little message to one another once a week or so.

Once you were moved into your new apartment, you started your first year of college, the two of you continued to talk. Asking about each others day and having fun just talking about random subjects and getting one another to laugh through your texts.

Months passed as the two of you grew from strangers to friends to best friends. Messaging each other constantly, a smile never left your face when you talked to him. Feeling butterflies in your stomach as you saw his message light up your phone and the cute little compliments he would randomly send just to brighten your day. A few more weeks passed as the two of you would stay up on Friday nights, messaging each other until one of you fell asleep.

Waking up to a Good Morning, Beautiful text, you would keep a smile on your face for the rest of the day, not being able to contain how happy he made you.

You could even remember when you tried out for a school team that you had been dreaming of playing for and getting turned down. He was there, you two talked all night as you told him the news, crying as you texted him, he told you that he wished that he could hold you and added a few compliments piratically through the conversation so that he could dry your tears even through the distance barrier. 

To this day, you can still clearly remember the day when he asked you out on your first date. You were working on some homework on your dining room table, your phone next to your computer as you texted him between math homework problems.

You: Did you do anything exciting today?
Him: No, it’s just a basic day
You: Maybe you could shake it up a bit
Him: How so?
You: Well you could go for a drive to somewhere different or do an activity or something in your spare time, something like that?
Him: You mean like… go on a date?
You: You don’t have to. You could go bowling with some friends or just go for a drive by yourself or go see a movie or something. It doesn’t have to be a date if you don’t want it to be
Him: You wouldn’t be asking me out now, would you? :)
You: I don’t know how to ask someone out, besides I would rather let the guy have the honors :)

Those agonizing few minutes as you waited for his reply couldn’t have been so nerve wracking for you. Unsure of how he would take it or how he would reply. Just then your phone lit up and you were speechless towards his message.

Him: Would you like to go bowling tomorrow night?
You: I would love to!!!