이.별 (The Star/Farewell) (1/3)

이.별 (The Star/Farewell)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When you hear the word doctor, surgeon, therapist, most people think of someone who helps others to regain their health. Only a few think that doctors themselves sometimes get to be a patient. Because they are doctors, who look after themselves so they don't get sick. They can also deal with their own problems and do not need help from others. But that's obviously not true.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For Jinyoung the day began normally. In his one room apartment, which is only furnished sparsely, because most of his stuff was still tucked into his old room in his parents house. On the sides next to his bed were his medical textbooks all pilled up. The ones on the top were clearly the newest ones and were about childhood diseases, he had successfully completed the fist assistant physician years and had now chosen the department pediatrics. He had always liked children, but to be honest children often ignored him or simply stated him as "stupid" or “weird”. Why he didn't know himself. But that was also one reason why he liked children, they talked openly about their thoughts and feelings. They talked openly about the things and persons they liked or disliked, not like adults who mostly hid their feelings.

It was only 5.00 in the morning as his alarm clock tore him away from sleep. The bed sheets were nicely wrapped around him like every morning and you could almost hear them whispering: "Just stay where you are for a little longer."
Although the heat was tempting, he had to get up and get ready for his day at the hospital. It was his 4th week since he started to work in the pediatrics and was showered almost daily with new information's. He had thought that now that he had chosen his department he wouldn't have to study as much anymore but it seemed that there was so much more that he needed to know than he first thought.
So many things and facts that he still had to know about the children bodies yet. So many new information's that almost every evening his head would be throbbing. When he talked with his parents over the phone and the question arose what he was doing, his answer was now for many years the same. Studying. And it probably won't change that fast.

His mother had visited his apartment a few weeks ago and found out with horror that his pile of medical books had doubled since he had started working at the hospital. Luckily she could not see into his laptop and see all the documents that he still had from the seminars or the documentation of certain methods of investigation, surgical procedures or other therapies. It really was almost as if medicine took over his entire life which was indeed the case. That was and is the problem if someone wanted to be a doctor, firstly it takes such a long time till they really get the right doctor title and the studying almost never ends. He only knew two people who didn't study as much as the rest during his first years as a assistant physician. On one hand it was Dr. Im Jaebum which many (even older doctors) were somewhat scared of and then there also was his boyfriend Dr. Choi Youngjae. Which compared to Dr. Im was much more open and also in a way cute. This somewhat weird but still cute couple somehow mastered the everyday life in the hospital together and after now almost 3 years they were still together. Many in his year had wondered how the two of them were able to maintain their relationship but that was definitely a different story.

His morning routine was usually to first torment himself out of bed and then to take a quick shower to wake up. There is nothing better than a cold shower in the morning, well there is but he always tells himself 'an adult has to do what an adult has to do'. But on the other side there is really nothing better to boosts your circulation than that. Not even coffee has the same effect to him but he still will get an Americano later when he will be on his way to the hospital. The shower helped his body to start moving, while the Americano activated his brain cells. He had once overslept, therefore he didn't had time to get coffee on his way what had the result that over the whole day he had like a blockade in his brain. It wasn't only medical stuff that he got wrong or simply mixed up, after his shift ended and he was in the locker room, his friends had asked if he wanted to go for a drink with them but he had understood something else and just disappeared out of the room without a word. What confused everyone in the room.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just like that he stood now in line at the coffee shop and waited for the barista to speed up a bit. The man must also have the same problems as any other person at 5.30 in the morning.
As Jinyoung took the final step to the cashier he already took a cup and scribbled his name on it.
"The usual Dr. Park? An Americano for take away?" He asked as he finished writing the name of the young doctor. Jinyoung just nodded. Yes, after more than four years every employee at the coffee shop knew him and what he had as his usual. Everyone who worked there had also seen him at least once in the hospital. Because somehow all of them had managed to at least get something burned whether it was just a finger or the whole hand. The varied greatly. But all of them came to the hospital to get it checked and get the right medicines.

Now his cup moved to the second man who worked this early in the morning and he started to prepare the Americano. Jinyoung had already discovered the giant smiley which was under his name. The barista had told him once that: "Regulars or soon to be regulars got always either a smiley or a sun next to their names because that shows that we recognize them." But frankly if his mug had one or not, did not really bother him at all.

"Dr. Park!" spoke the other barista loudly, holding out his freshly brewed cup of Americano. From the small opening of the cup he saw the steam rising out and the smell of coffee soon found it's way to his nose. What could be better than the smell of freshly brewed coffee?

Just as he turned around towards the exit, he knocked into another costumer who had his face hidden behind a newspaper. Because of that it was no wonder they had knocked into each other.
"I'm so sorry!" Both said in unison.
"It was my fault. I know I shouldn't read the news paper when I go somewhere. This is simply not a good combination." Said the man in front of the young doctor but his eyes never went up to his face, as he tried to put the paper away. Jinyoung looked at the other man in shock. The words stuck in Jinyoung's throat. Did he really see right or were his eyes tricking him?
"Dr. Tuan?" He finally brought out, his voice cracking slightly.
The called man rose his gaze up to Jinyoung face. His eyes mirrored the same shock. The other had just like Jinyoung not thought that they would meet at that place and not at that time. In Jinyoung's head their last encounter played again. Embarrassment and anger rose in him. Without another word, he walked to the door and opened it. Icy cold morning air whip at him. Just right to dampen his anger.

Jinyoung knew Dr. Tuan from his first year as assistant physician, he had been one of the training doctors, the youngest in the group. Dr. Tuan had just finished his studies himself and as a job had become vacant in the emergency room department, the chief physician had additionally recruited him in as an instructor. After two years in which Dr. Tuan Jinyoungs had accompanied and trained him, he suddenly had left the hospital. No one of the assistant doctors had ever gotten to know why their instructor had gone or where he went. He had simply vanished

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter