Carnation

Minky Drabbles

 

"Light red carnations symbolize fascination and divine love"

 

The 14-hour flight from Seoul to New York proved to be a very exhausting one and the fact that I only managed to get a short shut-eye before taking a cab to the museum only added to the stress. 'This museum you're visiting is famous for it houses some of the award-winning artists' works.

Now I want you to make some sort of book report during your three days of stay there,okay? This could also help you get your inspiration,kid. I noticed your works are getting more sloppy these days.' Mr. Jung's words kept repeating in my head all throughout my ride and I couldn't agree more seeing as how I find it difficult to finish my latest piece. Fortunately,I took English classes which became quite handy in conversing with the locals. I thanked the driver after paying,a tight-lipped smile is painted across my face and made my way up the flight of stairs.

Rows of stone pillars lined the museum's entrance,floors polished into perfection to reflect the image of the ones walking on it and walls carved with designs so intricate it's almost as if the gods have done the work themselves . I have always been a huge lover of art and the smell that the building gave off brought comfort to me. Sighing at the memory of my boss' orders,I took my pen from my coat's pocket and opened my small notebook while I roam my gaze around,stopping at one painting or sculpture to another and ofcourse not forgetting to jot down notes that consist of my observations about them. I was on the 5th artwork that a certain sculpture caught my attention. It is made of ivory,I guessed from its texture. What amused me though is the design itself. "Now this is an interesting piece." A voice that came from someone beside me- a girl to be exact rang in my ears. Without bothering to spare her a glance since I was still engrossed with the beauty in front of me,I replied, "It is. It really is" .

"Ever wonder why there are flowers all over their faces specifically near their mouths?" her slender finger stretches out to point at the area where the flowers can be seen and that's when I decided to tilt my head to the side in order to have a look at the stranger's face and to my surprise,she is also Korean. Her hair falls a few inches below her shoulders,had skin so fair that she is close to glowing, and dressed casually with a height that barely reaches up to my jaw. It seems like she knows a lot as she keeps on talking, "I bet you've heard about the Japanese myth of the Hanahaki disease,right? A well-known author published a book about that illness in Korea." I shook my head at her question,rubbing my nape as I mumble,"I don't actually read books a lot" she retorted with a light chuckle "Well you see such disease is caused by one-sided love. The patient suffering from it throws up flower petals everytime they see the person that is the center of their attraction. It can only be cured through surgery by removing the flowers along with the patient's feelings. Now this sculpture has a sad meaning to it for the girl loves that man while the latter is inlove with a different girl. They are together because the man finds strength in that girl who is willing to do whatever it takes just to keep his heart in one piece even if her own is falling into shambles. It's like a more classical way of portraying young,painful love." she finished her explanation with a soft huff,glancing back to me as if waiting for a response.

"Wow" I uttered in awe,making her throw her head back laughing,instinctively slapping my arm in the process. "Seriously? That's all you could say after my long- speech?" she exclaimed in disbelief. "You know you should treat me to the cafe downtown for being rude. That's like the least you could do for making me do all the hard work. Plus,I helped you in that book report of yours." she stated in a tone that is borderline mischievous,casting a quick glimpse at my notebook with her arms crossed over her chest,something a girl like her her would do. I could only smile and nod at the female who in turn beamed at me. "Oh! Before I forget,my name's Kyulkyung by the way but most of my friends here call me Pinky. Nice to meet you Mr. -"

"Mingyu. Kim Mingyu"