하나//One

Spring.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

-Autumn-

 

 The tumbles rhythimically and I shiver slightly as it feel it run down my back, my T-shirt soaking up the droplets.

I break out into a run, in an attempt to keep my hair dry, stopping when i reach the large oak tree by the pretzel store, slowly climbing up to the top of it.

'Of course rain in Manhattan...' I think to myself as i prop my violin case on the end of the tree branch im sat on.

What else did i possibly expect..

Oh new york, the city of dreams huh?

Then the tears begin to fall and laughing bitterly i quickly wipe them away. I said wouldn't cry.

But now look at how pathetic i must look.

Sat in a tree, crying in the rain. You wouldn't think it, but I actually have somewhere I'm supposed to be... My father's funeral to be specific.

I look at the time; 12:45. The funeral proceedings would have started about five minutes ago-I know by now my social worker is probably making urgent calls (one of them being to the police) because i've ran away...again.
 

I don't care.
 

They can do whatever they want.
 

There's no way attending the funeral:I know the type of people who'll be there all too well; Dad's gold-digging mistresses, his work collegues, not to mention all of his old friends who've flown in from Korea.

I don't want my last memories of my father to be him being lowered 10 feet underground in a coffin. I don't want to go there and see all of the people who knew him and be reminded of how little I knew about him. I couldn't bear it.

I bow my head down low glancing down at my converse shoes: one of the shoelaces caked in mud, the other one missing and the actual sneakers themselves tearing apart at the seams. If dad was here he would be scolding me for wearing them. 

I can even hear him now:

"Presentation is everything Gaeul-how you present yourself is how people first view you. What are you choosing to showcase right now?"

 Appa wasn't...always the best dad during tbe three short years he was actually present in my life, but nevertheless he was still my dad. The only parent

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter