A Pistil

The Dandelion Effect

 

A sense of weary calm washes over the team, dream-like and equally as fragile, any rough touch will break it. Mingyu sniffles a little, still not quite over his cold, but he's not running a fever like the first day the illness showed up so it was something. “Okay, guys,” Jinsung says as the younger manager is at his side, eyes searching all of their faces, “since today is the last day we'll be in Damyang you're free to do what you like. We'll meet together for dinner and then head back home.” Home, Mingyu repeats the word in his head with an increasing grin. Damyang is beautiful and otherworldly with its looming bamboo shoots but he's missed sleeping in his own bed; they all have. “Feel free to go with whoever, but no one is to go alone anywhere, alright.” A chorus of 'yes' shoot back and Jisung nods his head. Mingyu lets out a tired yawn, wondering if just going back to sleep was an option. Despite having gone to bed at eleven, Mingyu couldn't sleep continuously—phantom sensations plauge his exhausted mind. He remembers best when he's asleep because there's nothing to stop him from remembering, but that doesn't mean he still doesn't fight it. It's better this way, he repeats to himself as he catches Wonwoo's gaze. Accidental glances, fleeting touches, cautionary words—everything feels like a coincidence when it comes to the elder but it's been happening too frequently, too natural to the point where Mingyu feels like that maybe he can live with this. The line in the sand washes away with the tide but this time Mingyu doesn't re-draw one. “Hey, hyung, are you listening,” Hansol's voice bounces and Mingyu breaks from Wonwoo's intense stare.

 

“Hmm, sorry Hansol,” Mingyu apologizes as his eyes skitter across the room, but quickly does a double-take as he sees both managers and Seungcheol discussing something away from the rest of the group. Even with survival instincts comparable to a koala when not being directed, Mingyu has an inkling that whatever the trio is discussing cannot be good—when is it ever these days? “Wait, you want to visit that garden place again,” the incredulous tone captures Hansol off guard as he stares at the much taller man. Mingyu grimaces at the memory of Wonwoo shouting, the unpleasant words exchanged, and Hansol fighting for him. Before Mingyu has time to say yes though—who could deny anyone from the maknae line?—Chan rushes over and practically tackles Hansol.

 

“Hey, hyung, Rememeber that thing we promised to do with Seungkwan.” Mingyu furrows his brows at the stressed words. Hansol, who sighs heavily, grumbles but ultimately agrees to whatever convoluted thing the maknae wants to do. Mingyu isn't quite sure what it is considering the duo were speaking at the speed of light; broken words and unfinished sentences flung without care. Is this slang? Was he finally out of the loop and becoming an old man? “Sorry, hyung, but Hansol is mine,” Chan remarks with a bright grin. How could anyone be mad at their maknae? As Mingyu dismisses the odd occurrence, he stares at the rest of the members who have all seemed to be paired off in groups. Everyone is laughing and joking as they push each other around and Mingyu feels only 5cm tall. He bites his lip and fidgets slightly, not wanting to intrude on any of the groups. A balance is struck, a delicate equilibrium that Mingyu's afraid to break, but as he searches he finds a lone figure too. Mingyu was sure that Wonwoo and Jun would be the first to pair up or at the very least be together in a group. Then again, Mingyu thinks with discomfort, I could say the same thing about me and Minghao.

 

Loneliness is a horrible feeling but being with Wonwoo for extended amounts of time is equally as anxiety riddled. What's worse though, being alone or the discomfort of awkward company? Mingyu chooses the latter and steps forward. Dogs don't do well alone, his younger sister had commented years ago; they are also loyal too a fault. Mingyu ignores the second part and stands in front of Wonwoo with a nervous half-smile.

 

Everything stops. Noise pollution in the air comes to a halt and the Earth's rotation comes to a standstill. Wonwoo stares silently with an unreadable expression and Mingyu's ready to make his bubble bigger again, rejection encroaches the edge of his mind as fear tells him to cut his loses and go with an already formed group. “Guess we're stuck with each other,” Wonwoo comments offhandedly.

 

The world turns again as chatter fills Mingyu's ears. Did it ever stop, he wonders to himself as he hums and nods, exhaling with relief. Right, they're just stuck with each other. Wonwoo hadn't been Mingyu's first choice, he's not sure who it would have been, but certainly on the list at the bottom had been the older rapper. “What should we do,” Wonwoo questions as he looks at the rest of the members. Mingyu nibbles his lips as he looks down, staring at Wonwoo's hand. Something bubbles up, something unnerving that twists like a fish-hook in the back of his mind, bringing up abstract memories. Something whispers to him that he should hold Wonwoo's hand but he doesn't.

 

“Food,” Mingyu suggests as some of the members start to walk out.

 

Wonwoo hums, “Food it is,” and starts walking out as well. As the duo leave the building, Mingyu feels his phone go off and blinks as Minghao's message greets him.

 

'If anything happens call me.'

 

Simple, curt, straight to the point. Mingyu shakes his head but can't stop as a smile stretches his lips. He inhales and nods to himself. He can get through this one day with Wonwoo, for all eleven of s.

 

As they walk into town, Mingyu looks around the building with inquisitive eyes. They didn't get to look around much, which is a shame because Damyang is a really beautiful town. The sky seems so clear and limitless, the clouds fluffier than the ones in Seoul. And, despite not having a fancy skyline, the stars shine brighter than in the city. “We should get some seafood,” Mingyu says as walks a step behind Wonwoo, “wait, you're allergic,” he quickly tacks on as an afterthought but soon halts. Wonwoo freezes too, his muscles tense and Mingyu wonders if the past him often saw Wonwoo's back as a sense of familiarity stabs his heart. “That...was weird, like someone took over my mind,” Mingyu mumbles as he runs a hand to ruffle his hair.

 

They continue to walk. “I am allergic to seafood though...” Wonwoo trails off.

 

“H-hey, I think that's hotteok I smell,” Mingyu diverts the conversation as he sniffs the air, following the scent of sweet, red beans. Mingyu keeps going, his body buzzing as he doesn't bother to look back to see if Wonwoo is chasing after him or not. If Seungcheol were here he'd tell him to slow down, if Minghao was here he would have followed, but it's just him and Wonwoo and their painstakingly awkward past he doesn't want any part of.

 

Wait, what...?

 

Mingyu uses up his last remnants of energy to stop before he slams into the hotteok cart. The old woman running the cart stares at him with wide eyes before smiling. “You must have been hungry,” she muses with a rough but warm voice.

 

“I feel like you have no concept of the buddy system,” a deep voice mocks and Mingyu turns to see a slightly panting Wonwoo, pale face ruddy.

 

They purchase five hotteok in total, two plain, one green tea, one honey, and one cinnamon cream filled. Wonwoo blows on the green-tea one before he takes a small bite. Not exactly a healthy breakfast but Mingyu swings the bag without a care, happily taking large bites of the circular pancake. Honey practically floods his mouth as a string connects his lips to the food, the thread growing thin before it breaks and leaves a sticky mess behind.

 

“God, how are you always so messy,” Wonwoo exhales as reaches for a napkin in the bag and quickly wipes at Mingyu's wrist. The small action, when looked through the outside, is nothing weird. It could easily be dismissed as a helpful friend but Mingyu's mind haywires at the gesture and jerks his body away on impulse. “S-sorry it's just, I....” the awkward air returns to suffocate them.

 

Mingyu gulps, trying to will his blush away but it feels slightly in vain, “I-it's fine hyung, just...” Mingyu trails off as well.

 

Don't do it again.

 

어젯밤엔 무슨 꿈을 꾸다 깼는지
놀란 마음을 쓸어내려야 했어요

 

Mingyu devours three hotteok with abandon, having finished two by the time Wonwoo is done eating his one. There isn't much talking, just breaths between each bite and the crinkle of parchment paper and plastic as Mingyu focuses on chewing. Before he lost Wonwoo in his mind, were their talks filled with banter? Were they not awkward or filled with tension? Did Mingyu not have the urge to gnaw off his arm and run like a wounded animal? Mingyu wonders if he'll ever remember but does he want to? The edge of the cinnamon hotteok brushes his lips but instead of taking a bite Mingyu stops walking, choosing to stare at the street in contemplation. There's no break in silence to indicate that Wonwoo has noticed, but Mingyu doesn't hear any footsteps either.

 

Two pairs of eyes seemingly drawn to one another meet again. Mingyu feels like he's being pulled in by a strong undertow and left to drown.

 

“You okay,” Wonwoo questions hesitantly as Mingyu diverts his gaze.

 

Lying is bad, that's what his mother has always told him, but Mingyu isn't quite sure what he is. Between the small fluttering of lashes—returning back to the physical world, and resuming to eat his hotteok, Mingyu mumbles out an “I'm okay” and leaves it at that. One small lie wouldn't hurt, and it's not exactly false, he's not feeling bad just...different.

 

Wonwoo hums like he understands and maybe he does; Mingyu doesn't ask questions. The two begin their leisurely pace once more, Wonwoo's steps falling a bit behind now as staring at the older male's back has become uncomfortable for Mingyu. “Where should we go,” the younger asks as he off the grains of sugar taking residence on his lips. Mingyu savors the too sweet taste as he some of the sugar clumps off of the packaging. Maybe one of them should have been looking for landmarks to visit instead of just wandering aimlessly in silence, as Mingyu's focus falls on his creme-filled pancake once more, Wonwoo's own weaves quietly through the settled air. “What about the park?”

 

“Park,” Mingyu parrots as he scans the area to find a park just across the road. Oh, how convenient. Mingyu nods as he crosses the lulled street, crossing the small stone border that leads into the green threshold. The park seems more beautiful than the ones in Seoul. The grass is a vivid green, a decent sized jungle gym is at the center of it all with what seems like a small pond offset and a little ways back. Without thinking, Mingyu walks over to the jungle gym with few kids playing on it, ignoring the benches ligning the dirt path as he plops himself onto the swingset. The structure groans under the weight but doesn't do much else. Wonwoo is much more reluctant to sit on the swings much too small for them but does so anyway. “I haven't been on a swing in forever,” Mingyu says softly as he stretches out his feet, the seat going higher as the chains clink and rustle. Wonwoo imitates the move on a lesser scale; he gently rocks back and forth as the children's laughter and shouts become their background music.

 

Someone's phone buzzes violently against the plastic seat but lets it die. Mingyu drops the bag and turns body slightly so that he faces Wonwoo and smiles nervously, “hyung, about what you said a few days ago—“

 

“I didn't mean it,” Wonwoo fumbles out with a small blush, “I was just angry I guess,” Mingyu watches a pale hand rake through charcoal hair, “Mingyu, seriously, why—“ Wonwoo doesn't finish because Mingyu's tired of their discussion always leading this way, with Wonwoo taking the reigns and him falling back.

 

“It's okay, hyung,” Mingyu responds evenly, a certain understanding and wisdom twinkles in his eyes that makes Wonwoo fidget, “you're right. Everything that's been happening to the group wouldn't be happening if it weren't for me—“

 

Wonwoo pleads, “Mingyu, please—”

 

“No, you're right hyung. M-Maybe it's not so bad though! Why do I need to remember? We're fine like this,” Mingyu gestures to the space between them, “we're okay just being...group members. As...as long as you don't get close it won't hurt a-and everything will be fine and there won't be anymore fighting. Whatever happened between us we can forget it and—” Wonwoo bolts up and stands in front of Mingyu's sitting form, the brunette's eyes widen as his blabbering stops, staring up with eyes too big for his face. Wonwoo's never seen that expression on Mingyu before, fear and anxiety, it's a bad fight.

 

The swing stops as Wonwoo grips the metal chains. “It's not okay, Mingyu! You're just, you're just throwing me away! Can you really just toss me aside like that and pretend that everything's okay?”

 

“I'm putting the team first! We're not okay, hyung,” Mingyu cries shrilly. “And if those memories were so important why would I forget? Why do I have to remember if it only hurts me,” Mingyu shouts with clenched eyes and fists. Wonwoo's chest heaves as he slowly loosens his grip on the swing. “It hurts,” Mingyu confesses once more, tone infinitely smaller and subdued, “I look at you and Jun and there's a pain in my head and something weird bubbles in my stomach. I don't know and I hate the fact that I don't know. It's unpleasant, but...I can't imagine what it felt like when I used to know the reason.”

 

“And, you can live with this,” Wonwoo questions as he steps away from Mingyu's dejected form, “forgetting...forgetting us?”

 

Mingyu bites his lip before replying, “It's better this way, if we both just forget whatever it was we used to be. We would just hurt each other, the moth can't touch the flame without burning. The distance we have right now is safe, comfortable.”

 

Wonwoo doesn't offer a reply but instead walks away. Mingyu lets him because it would be ridiculous for the moth to chase after the fire, no matter how dazzling it may seem.

 

“Mister?”

 

Mingyu blinks and looks away from Wonwoo's form. In the haze of his thoughts, Mingyu fails to notice a few of the kids gathering around him with curious faces. A small girl with curly hair blinks her doe eyes and opens , “are you okay?”

 

“Did you have a fight with your friend,” a boy asks as he comes to Mingyu's side, tiny hands placed on the swing.

 

Mingyu nods with a sad smile, “Yeah...”

 

손도 작은 내가 나를 달래고 나면
가끔은 눈물이 고여

 

“Hey, Minghao-hyung,” Hansol whispers as he nudges the taller teen's side. The small jostle causes Minghao to look away from his phone and toward the wheat-haired blonde. “Don't you think Seokmin-hyung has been acting weird lately,” the young rapper inquires while squinting ahead of the group. Minghao manages to stop from rolling his eyes; he really doesn't have time to listen to Hansol's theories about group members right now.

 

“Hansol, everyone has off days,” Minghao rationalizes but that doesn't seem to appease the younger. Hansol clicks his tongue and nudges Minghao again. The dancer wonders if Mingyu is okay, if him and Wonwoo are still together and haven't lost each other in the town yet. He shakes his head and sighs. It's ridiculous how much he's worry over someone who would be able to survive in the wild on their own; that maybe it should be the other way around but he doubts Mingyu is thinking about anyone but Wonwoo at this time. Still, Minghao studies Seokmin's form and how the conversation between Soonyoung and him is very much one-sided. Chan, on the other hand, seems to be over the moon as he talks Jeonghan's ear off. It's been a rough two weeks since Mingyu's accident and the members deserve a break from it all, but this isn't just something they could turn their backs on for a little bit. “There's no signal here,” Minghao comments with slight irritation as the small group finally makes it up the steep steps to the temple.

 

Hansol rolls his eyes as he takes Minghao's phone out of his skinny fingers. The Chinese male makes a small whine of protest but Hansol keeps the phone close to his body. “Can you try and stop worrying about only Mingyu for a minute? There are more things going on that doesn't just revolve around Mingyu and Wonwoo. You know that, right?”

 

“Are you going to tell Jun-hyung that too,” Minghao comments vehemently, jaw set and eyes sharp, but the anger quietly wilts at the stern gaze Hansol pins him with. He hates how the younger seems so wise, like he knows all the answers to life and all of humanities problems.

 

“I don't have to, Jun already understands that,” Hansol remarks tauntingly as he gives Minghao his phone back. Passing his finger over the power button, Minghao sighs and turns the screen off as he sets it back into his back pocket. He knows when to stop fighting a battle, although he feels like this won't be the last time Hansol will have to lecture him. Hansol reverts to his naturally laid-back state, or at least as chill as one could be when everything seems to be going to hell. “Hey, I know we've talked about this before, but did anything weird happen the day before Mingyu lost his memory? Like, did he do anything at all.”

 

Minghao shakes his head, “No, I mean, he seemed a little sad but...,” the words fall short. Minghao snaps his head up in surprise as he recalls one unusual thing, or should he say flower. “He, he was talking about this flower I think. You told him,” Minghao explains as he ignores Hanol's confused face, “God, what was it called? I can't remember, but he told me that you said if you make a wish on them it will come true.

 

“A dandelion...?”

 

“Yes! That's the one,” Minghao snaps his fingers in realization, “and he just closed his eyes and blew on the flower.”

 

“Sooo,” Hansol chews the word out with an incredulous stare, “you're saying that a flower caused this...?”

 

“I don't know!” Minghao muses and yanks at the ends of his hair in slight hysteria. “Maybe?”


Hansol shakes head and loops an arm around Minghao's thin frame and sighs, ignoring the odd stares passerbys send their way. “Well, it's not like we have any better explanation.” Minghao sighs, unsure what telling past events helped with, and rubs the back of his neck. He looks up at the temple's roof, letting his eyes focus on the ridge of the shingles and faded brick colour. It's a ridiculous theory, he knows it is, but he can't help but wonder what if. What if there was more to this than meets the eye? What if all Mingyu had to do was wish for his memories back? A light breeze carries the small tune of chimes that dangle from the temple. The air smells of bamboo and flowers that leave Minghao in a slightly calmer frame of mind.

 

“I wonder if Mingyu-hyung will just hate Wonwoo forever,” Hansol muses to the wind. Minghao shakes his head.

 

“Mingyu could never hate Wonwoo, you know that.”

 

Hansol grins but it doesn't quite reach his eyes. “Maybe, but isn't it the one who loves more that loses?”

 

Minghao closes his eyes and lets the words sink in. Discomfort isn't a foreign feeling to his stomach but he lets it stew, lets it bubble uncomfortably as he leans against Hansol more while the rapper's arm falls from his shoulders to grasp Minghao's hand. Maybe it's not who loves more that loses because it's starting to seem like if you love at all you'll lose something no matter what.

 

“That's pretty deep, Hansol.”

 

A small snicker escapes the rapper's lips, “Thanks, heard it from a webcomic.” This time Minghao really does roll his eyes.

 

나는 그대의 아름다운 별이 되고 싶어요
날 이해해줘요

 

Jinsung gathers everyone at a small restaurant that has tables outdoors. “Well, how was everyone's day,” he shouts over the two tables. While Wonwoo and Mingyu had shown progress, no matter how small, this morning, when Mingyu showed up without Wonwoo everyone knew something had happened. And, like what Jinsung had feared, Jun and Minghao flocked to the two members, seeming to split up the team in two. Mingyu doesn't bother eating, instead chews on a piece of gum as he stares at his full plate. He makes up the excuse of eating too much hotteok for a late breakfast as Jeonghan chastises him like normal because that's all anyone can do, apparently—pretend that everything is all right. Like Mingyu couldn't devour his share of food in under ten minutes when he can. Seungcheol shakes his head as Jihoon, who's sitting next to a very tired looking Soonyoung, mouths something to him.

 

Before Seungcheol has time to mouth back a 'what' Seokmin's distressed whine brings his attention back to his own table. “Junnie-hyung, just tell them, you promised.”

 

“Seokmin,” Jun hisses.

 

Everone's attention diverts from their food to the small argument at the other table. Soonyoung twists his body and stares at his friend's distressed face. “Seokmin, what's wrong? Jun-hyung, what is Seokmin talking about,” Soonyoung inquires with a stern tone.

 

Jisung and the younger manager stay in the background as the tension quickly eats at the atmosphere. The manager sends Mingyu a glance but the rapper doesn't even bother looking at the commotion but is instead munching on a lettuce wrap. “Please, I can't handle this anymore,” Seokmin's voice breaks as his hands disappear in his hair. This only sparks more curiosity in the rest as Mingyu's table leans forward in their chairs. The sound of the sizzling meat fills the dead air for a few short seconds before Jun exhales.

 

“Tell them about what, Jun,” Wonwoo speaks up for the first time since Seomkin's outburst. Jun closes his eyes and grits his teeth.

 

Surprisingly, it's not Seungcheol who tries to douse the fire out but instead Minghao coughs and brings the attention to him. “Maybe we can do this later guys,” he suggests slowly, looking at everyone's faces for confirmation. He locks eyes with Jun and once more the two Chinese members seem to have a silent conversation, but while Jun offers a small smile of gratitude Minghao moves snaps his head to the side and hides behind Mingyu's form.

 

“No, we need to do this now,” Seokmin insists before he turns to look back at Jun, “hyung, please. I can't keep this to myself anymore.”

 

“Tell them what, Jun,” Wonwoo repeats once more, tone slightly desperate and high-pitched.

 

Mingyu presses his fingers into the palms of his hands and waits.

 

“That...that we're dating,” Jun exhales and an eerie silence encompasses the entire group. Seungcheol starts choking on his own spit while Soonyoung's jaw drops in astonishment.

 

“Is that true, Wonwoo,” Jinsung interrupts with a hoarse voice.

 

Wonwoo's mouth opens like a fish out of water. “I,” he looks over to Mingyu who simply stares back with curiosity, “I-It's not, I mean we're—“

 

Hansol scoffs as he sets his chopsticks down and leans against his chair. “Sounds like a confession to me. You ask for Mingyu-hyung not to forget but then you go and replace him.”

 

Minghao stands up, knocking the chair down in the process, and screams, “I told you not to say anything!”

 

“Minghao, how could you tell Hansol what happened,” Mingyu says softly, hurt evident in his cracked voice as he pulls at the edge of his sleeves.

 

“How could you hide this from me,” Seungcheol quips, “I thought we were a team? You know you could always trust us.” He looks between Jun and Wonwoo, both the member's heads downcast and refusing to look in any general direction of the members.

 

“I—I'm sure they have a good explanation,” Chan pipes in, looking between the two tables, trying to catch any of his hyung's eyes. Seungkwan, thankfully, comes to the maknae's rescue with noises of agreement as he tries to lessen the tension but it's all in vain. Shouting soon fills the open air and overpowers the sound of the grill. There's arguments between the tables and within, heated fights while only two or three try to keep the ruined peace from being destroyed more than it already is. It's all too much that it feels like Mingyu's drowning all over again. This isn't right, they shouldn't be fighting. Wonwoo's words repeat in his head again.

 

“Mingyu, are you okay,” Jeonghan's loud voice seems to bring everything to a standstill.

 

“W—What...? Yeah, of course hyung, why wouldn't I be?” Mingyu offers a small smile that doesn't last long enough. Everyone seems to settle as all eyes fall on him.

 

“Hyung,” Chan says softly, “why are you crying?”

 

Crying? Mingyu lifts shaking fingers to his cheeks only to pull back and see a glistening substance on them. When did he start to cry? Wait, why is he crying! Mingyu laughs as he tries to wipe the tears away but with each one gone two appear in its place. It's a useless fight and Mingyu realizes that.

 

“I—I have to go,” Mingyu excuses himself as he bolts out into the town.

 

Jihoon darts forward first, ignoring Seungcheol and the manager's calls as he quickly disappears form their line of sight as well. Wonwoo worries on his bottom lip, staring at a forlorn Jun before he speaks out a soft “I'm sorry” and sprints after Mingyu as well.

 

“I—I didn't want this to happen,” Seokmin mumbles as the silence reigns over them, “I just...I didn't want to be the only one who knew.”

 

Jun sighs heavily as he turns his attention back to the food, the rest of the members doing the same thing. “No, don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's no one's fault...”


A/N: Hahaha there are so many instances of pairings that I'm gonna end up losing who the actual end pairs are tbqh. On that note, sorry it took so long to update! 

PS: song taken from OOOHYO'S 'Youth' read the description it is truly beautiful

PPS: Vote on the polls below. Now that we're farther in teh story see how you feel about what you want to happen

" />

" />

if you can't see the polls go here: x x