Torment

Crimson Contract

D.O.:

My wet uniform clung to my body as I trembled with displeasure. I heard the voices of snickering classmates as they enjoyed their moment of victory. Their backs bent and their stomachs tightened with gutteral laughter. I felt sick. I wanted to throw up my lunch. I could feel my blood coursing through my veins, hot, and yearning for revenge. I hated these people. I wished for their suffering in the afterlife. My insides churned as I forced myself to hold back the tears that stung my eyes, begging to escape. I drew in a deep breath and stood still, waiting for their pleasure to die down before emptying my lungs. I listened for a moment as their footsteps and chatter faded. A loud bang echoed through the locker room as the door closed behind them. I slumped down onto the floor and let out a sigh of relief. 

Grabbing onto the hem of my uniform I mouthed in silent gratitude that they had only dumped water on me. I pulled my shirt above my head, feeling the fabric peel off of my skin with the same noise as pulling off a wet bathing suit. My wet hair tickled the back of my neck and I cursed under my breath, knowing that I would have to go through gym with wet hair. I finished undressing and slipped into my dry gym clothes.

My gym teacher slipped his head into the locker room and warned me that I had better hurry up. I nodded and told him I was ready. I followed him out of the locker room and into the gymnasium, doing my best to ignore the amused stares of my tormentors. I walked to my place, keeping my eyes focused on the wall and away from the curious looks of those who had no clue of the daily harrassment I endure. Even as I heard whispers I closed my eyes and repeated in my head that they have no idea, that I'm just being self conscious by thinking they could be whispering into each other ears about me. But it was hard to convince myself, and I couldn't help but listen in. Much to my relief, their quiet gossip wasn't about me at all. It was about the new student in the back, next to me.

Suddenly, realization hit me. My eyelids fluttered open and I whipped my head to the left. Sure enough. New guy.

He was tall and handsome. He took my breath away. I had forgotten my own self consciousness and was lost in his gaze. He had been staring at me. His eyes were soft and warm, his brows giving away the concern in his expression. His lips parted slightly, just showing a sliver of his straight, pearly teeth. My eyes traced his features, and were drawn to his adam's apple, watching as it bobbed. He was about to talk. My heart skipped a beat as he leaned in close, his breath hot against my neck. He whispered, "Are you okay? You're wet."

I stumbled back, my feet twisting as I caught myself before bumping into the student to my right. He noticed. I was hoping no one would notice after I changed. My hand flew up to my forehead. I wicked away a droplet of water that glided down my temple. I opened my mouth to speak, but my breath hitched. He had caught me offguard and I became extremely nervous as a result. I could feel my lips drying and I flicked my tongue over them to restore the moister. I struggled to speak. "I was hot. So I washed my face." I diverted my gaze and hunched my shoulders, cringing at my reaction to his approach. Being approached was not something I was used to. 

He leaned back and ran his hand through his chestnut colored hair, smiling. I felt dizzy watching him. "Oh. Alright then." His posture was relaxed and his demeanor was calm, cool, and collected. My instinct was to love him, to respect him, to worship him, but I didn't even know him. I shook my head and clenched my jaw, facing forward and doing my best to come to my senses. Something was very wrong with me. Or maybe there's something wrong with him. It felt very unnatural. 

The gym teacher's voice snapped me back to reality and I thanked God for the release from the new guy's tantalizing spell. 

"Today we're doing pair activities. Before any of you even start looking at your friends from across the room, you don't get to pick your partners today. You will be partnered with the person to your left. Get with your partner and start with warm ups. Start now."