1000 Years Ago

A Thousand Years

During the Goryeo Dynasty that lasted from 918–1392, lived a beautiful young girl.  She grew up into the upperclassmen not ever wanting or needing more than what the peasants would beg for.  Back then the women weren't allowed to choose who they would marry; you were married to whoever came to ask for your hand, or by a matchmaker when you aged into womanhood.  They called her the beauty with a heart of a boy, because no matter how many man would come by to ask for her hand she would refuse and told her father she would not marry a man she had no love for.  Her father who loved this girl since she was the only child let her roam freely in the household, she was taught how to read and write.  This young beautiful woman had only love one boy…the tradesmen son who she saw every time she and her mother would walk to the market.  She had been friend with this boy since they were kids, their fathers being good friends so the boy and girl knew each other well.  He too had love her, as the months passed and she rejected man after man, she finally told her mother that she only wanted to be with the tradesman son, her mother told her “If he truly loves you, he’ll come ask for your hand in front of your father.”  That night she sat outside watching the moon shining brightly, as she heard someone from behind her,

“Ara,” the voice whisper, she turned to find Yong the tradesmen son’s good friend.  “Lee, told me to tell you he’ll be joining military soon, but wish for you to wait for him after the Mongols are out of our country.” with that the man vanished again. 

Ara felt her heart drop as she was already sixteen and ready to married off, what if he never came back and she was already old?  She thought to herself.  As several years passed, one day as Yong was walking pass the market he overheard two tradesmen gossiping,

“I’ve heard that one of the sergeants named Lee got killed during a battle.” Said one man “Aish, how bad…” 

Yong hearing of his good friend’s death thought about how Ara who was still waiting, he ran towards her house, to find Ara walking out the door with some of her servants. 

“Ara!” he yelled and caught her attention, “Ara…Lee is dead” Ara stood with shocked, “he…he died in battle…” 

That night as Ara lay on her bed tears came gushing down her pale soft face, when she had told her parents of the news, they had told her “Its time you marry off, you cannot live with your parents for the rest of your life, Yong seems to make a great son in law, he’s smart and wise.”

The next day the wedding was to happen; Ara and Yong became a couple and lived at his parent’s villa.  He had always love her from afar he told her one night as the two lied in bed, she told him she had love him as a brother.  Yong never complained about how Ara never loved him as a man.  Years past Ara was in her late twenty suddenly became ill, the day she lied in bed sweat all over her body and face knew she it was her time, on that day a knocked was heard from the front door, as the servants went to open the door to Yong was surprise to see his dear friend Lee standing at the front gate, in his silk robe,

“Lee?” Yong quickly made his way towards his friend, “You’re alive?”

“Yes,” Lee smile and hugged his dear friend, “It’s been awhile my dear friend…I’ve heard you and Ara are now together congratulation.”  But his heart knew it was a lie.

“Ara’s been really sick; would you like to see her?” Yong asked.  Lee was left alone in Ara’s chamber as he sat beside her.

“Shh,” he smiled at her, “I’m still alive, and the man that died wasn’t me it was a misunderstanding he clarified to her. “I’m sorry.” He said as the tears came down his face, “I’m sorry it took me this long to come back…but when I did you were already married.”

“Lee-ahh” Ara voice was low, “I don’t know if I’ll be able to open my eyes again if I was to close them tonight…”

“Don’t say that.” Lee whispered to her as his tears swell up, “you’ll be fine, you’ll open them even after tonight.”  Ara raised her hand towards Lee, who moved in closer inwards towards her, she felt his face.

“Because you being a man would never understand how I would feel, because you're a man you only speak...and because I am a woman I would foolishly listen to your words and believe it.”  Ara smiled lightly, “I have loved you…I’ll love you for a thousand more.”  Ara’s hand drop to her side and as her tears slowly ran down the outer corner of her eyes her eyes shut slowly, then Lee knew she was gone.

 

"What happens next?" JunHyung asked as he grabbed for his coke that was sitting on the coffee table.

"That's it; they didn't get each other at the end." Hara looked at JunHyung, "every time my mom tells me that story I always get Goosebumps I don't know why.  I feel like...I feel like...ah never mind I can't explain it."  Hara stood up making her way into her kitchen as Donghae and JunHyung stood up following her.

"Aishh, I feel so bad for Lee.  His best friend took his girl as he was trying to save his country." Donghae sigh.

"Yong is the one I feel bad for," JunHyung quickly replied, "I mean he thought his friend died, married the women he loved from afar to just find out she'll never love him then she dies, saying she loves Lee and not to her husband."

"It's just a story my grandmother used to tell my mother, it's not ever true...I think." Hara interrupted the two, “It’s late are you guys planning to sleepover or what?”

“I have to go home,” Donghae said while looking at the tile floor mesmerized, “Ah, this was one of the best stories I’ve heard in a long time.”  With that Donghae left.

“Why aren’t you leaving?” Hara asked JunHyung.

“I think I’ll sleep here for the night.”

“Did you get into another argument with your mother?” Hara question him as the two made their way back into Hara’s living room, “you need to stop arguing with her, you need to understand that she’s only looking out for you.”  Hara walked towards her cabinet and pulled out a blanket and pillow, “you can sleep here tonight, but you have to promise me you’ll make up with her tomorrow?” JunHyung nod his head and sat on the sofa fixing the pillow nicely onto the end. “Goodnight.” Hara smile and then walked into her bedroom.

“Goodnight.”