Reassurance

in our hearts we felt safe

Soojung stood in front of the Kim's residence, waiting anxiously as someone opened the door for her, mind going elsewhere to the shoot she has to do the next morning. She stared, preoccupied, at the wooden door until Jongin's eldest sister and her daughter answered, welcoming smiles plastered on their faces. They ushered her in, and she was careful to be as polite as much as possible.     

His sister gave her a motherly smile before telling her Jongin had just finished showering.  "I'll call Jongin. Wait for a bit." 

Soojung sat timidly, looking at her hands, only remembering she had come bearing gifts in hand but forgot them in her car. She should get them while she still can, and she was about to excuse herself, when she was startled by the little girl, who came running from the hallway with Jongin limping in tow. He smiled at her and she should have smiled back but concern filled her, frowning at the sight of his casted leg before she stood up to help him. However, she didn't know how so she stood helplessly at his side.

Jongin chuckled, placing a hand on her shoulder and giving it a squeeze. "This is fine." 

"Are you sure?" Her hand s around his back to support him. 

"It's plenty helpful." 

Once Jongin was seated with his leg propped up on a pillow, Soojung had finally released the breath she didn't know she was holding. She had been stressing over his condition these past two days. Working had been a good distraction but when she talked to Jongin at night, her worry returned. He had a little accident weeks ago. He had told her that he was fine and that there was nothing to worry about but Sehun had informed her otherwise. The company had sent him to the hospital two days before his group's concert, and went home with an advice not to do any strenuous activity--naturally, performing was out of the option. But Jongin still went, his conditioned worsened and now he's on a short hiatus. Touring across other countries were ill-advised. He heavily protested to this but his parents had intervenened and he wasn't able to do anything about it. 

"Do you have any schedules today?"

"No but I have a photoshoot tomorrow." Soojung had only been able to visit him today, a rest day squeezed in a busy schedule, thanks to her manager.

"You should get some rest." Jongin smiled, his hand reaching hers, patting it slightly. 

Soojung sighed, shaking her head. She intertwined their fingers and held it tightly. "You should take care of yourself more."

"I'm okay. See? Just a little sprain." Jongin lifted his casted limb, only to wince in pain. 

Soojung saw him hide his pain but chose not to comment. She didn't want to argue; it takes too much toll on her weary body and his injured one. She relaxed into his shoulder instead, giving into her exhaustion. "We should go on a vacation. Somewhere really far and remote with lots of architecture and art and food..."

Jongin adjusted his position, so her head laid on his chest and his arm was around her shoulders. He caressed her hair gently and hummed at her wish. They'd been busy with their schedule that they hadn't really gone out much. Not that they could anyway. With prying eyes everywhere, there were few places that could be safe for them to go.

"That sounds nice," he commented, leaning his head on hers. He began listing places he'd like to visit, revisiting old planned trips. They could even visit places he's already been to or she's been to, or maybe even New York, the city she liked so much, even though he preferred a less crowded one. 

Soojung hummed her affirmation, burrowing more into him, her body curved perfectly into his. She came here on the purpose of consoling him in his current situation but instead, Soojung found great comfort in the deep tone of his voice and his distinctive scent enveloping her, putting her mind at ease. Jongin was good at mellowing her; it didn't take a lot of effort for him to unwind the knots in her mind, calming her through words or touches. 

Soojung hoped that there would be more days like this, where she is only Jung Soojung and he is Kim Jongin--no pressure, no pretense. Because with Jongin, she always felt special, safe and loved. What else could she ask for more?