01.

Finding Father

01


      "Are we really at the right place..?"

Jiwoo stared at the large apartment complex standing before them. Jieun and Ji-woo had never seen such a large and luxurious looking place in their entire lives except through the internet. 

Jieun stared at the address on the paper and scratched her head. 

She had come to the right place, but there was no way her father could have found such a nice place for them. The past few years consisted of the siblings living in an abandoned restaurant, an old motel, and places that you couldn't imagine teenagers living in. 

"Apparently," 

Jieun shrugged and made their way towards the apartment complex. 

She smiled as Ji-woo looked around the place in excitement, swinging his bag all around the place. 

 

     As they cut through the side and walked into the outdoor pool, Ji-woo screamed in excitement as he dropped his bag and ran around the pool. Ji-woo's favorite sport was swimming, but he had to give it up because they were constantly moving around all the time. 

     Jieun sat down on the sun-bed and looked around the place, mesmerized by the entire place. The sun was slowly setting and the purple-blue sky reflecting from the water seemed to make everything so much more beautiful. For the first time, her stomach didn't lurch thinking about what kind of danger her father could be in.  She sighed in relief as she watched Ji-woo dipping his feet in the water and laughing.

She hadn't seen her younger brother that happy since..  forever. 

"THIS PLACE IS SO NEAT!" 

Ji-woo exclaimed as he walked out of the water and ran toward Jieun.

"What the ?"

The sound of a large thud followed the cussing, as Jieun shot her eyes toward Ji-woo who was on the floor, first. She stared at the person standing opposite Ji-woo, giving him a dirty look as he shook the water off his shoes. 

"Ji-woo!"

     Jieun gasped and ran towards her brother, helping him up. He had scraped his knees slightly but didn't affect his walking. She looked at the person and examined his face, his eyes covered under his shades. She scanned his entire body and saw the luxury painted all over his body from his curled two block hair all the way down to his perfectly shined burberry leather wingtip brogues. 

She sighed quietly and bowed down to the boy who didn't look any older than her. 

"I'm sorry," she forced a smile. "My brother gets a little excited around water."

The boy snorted and glared at the boy and his scraped knee. 

"It's fine," he sneered. "What would a janitor know about public place etiquettes?"

"What did you say?" Jieun frowned. 

"I said," "What. would. a. janitor. know?"

Jieun scoffed in ridicule. She couldn't believe the words coming out of this person's mouth. She knew that rich people were always stuck up, but experiencing it was especially more bad. 

"I'm not a janitor," Ji-woo blurted and stared right into the guy's eye. 

He sneered and poked Ji-woo's forehead, pushing him back. 

"You think you're so great, don't you?"

"I don't think it. am great." 

"I guess they don't include things like manners in rich people's dictionaries, huh."

He glanced at the old bags and suitcases on the sun beds and chuckled. 

"Why don't you follow the dictionary?"

He pointed to the sign near the side that read Do not enter through the side.

He took off his shades and hung it on his mantoman shirt, walking toward the apartment entrance. 

Jieun knelt down and examined her brother's knee, dryly bleeding. 

"I'm fine," he pulled his leg back. "It's just a little scrape."

"Let's go," Jieun said angrily and grabbed all the bags. "We didn't come here to get this kind of treatment." 

Jieun and Ji-woo entered the lobby. They moved aside as adults in business suits walked in and out of the spin doors, all busily on their phones. She saw one or two students walking past, all dressed in rich garments like the guy they had encountered earlier. She could feel the people's eyes on them as they dragged their suitcases along the marble floor, making a sound. 

"What floor?" Ji-woo asked, his excitement inflated. 

"10th," Jieun stared at their reflection through the elevator door. They looked so shabby compared to the other people in the lobby. She stared at her brother who looked at the ground, biting his lips. 

Ji-woo was taller than her, but his heart seemed to be so weak. 

"Lee Jiwoo," she grabbed his shoulder. "What did dad say?"

"Never be discouraged.."

"You know better than anyone, shoulders straight." 

The two stood straight as the elevator slid open. Jieun and Ji-woo entered the elevator with their suitcases dragging behind them. Inside was a tall guy dressed in a brown burberry coat, his ears occupied with earphones. He stared at the two as they barely managed to drag their bags into the shiny elevator. 

Jieun glanced at the 10th floor already pushed and stepped back. 

"How long do we have to stay here this time?" Ji-woo grumbled.

"Why? you were so excited just a few minutes ago."

"Yeah, before that rude bastard just popped my balloon." he cursed under his breath. 

"It's ok," she ruffled his hair. "We're never going to see him again."

"Why are all the rich people so stuck up?"

"It's because they don't know that anything's precious."

"Do you think he's like that too?" Ji-woo gestured to the tall boy beside him. 

"Probably," she snorted. 

The two watched as the elevator neared the 10th floor. They grabbed their bags and rushed out before the tall guy could, speed walking toward their room. 

 

The tall guy chuckled under his breath, taking out the earphones plugged into nothing. 

 

"It should be this one," they stood infront of the door that was labeled 107. They looked around the corridor that was completely empty except for the janitor who walked past all the way at the end of the corridor. 

Jieun gulped.

She was nervous about entering this house, because she had no idea what she was supposed to expect. She didn't want to go into a house filled with rich people who would treat her and Jiwoo barbarically. 

"You guys done?"

A voice popped up from behind. Startled, Jieun spun back to see the same guy from the elevator standing right before them. 

"I..uh.. no?"

"Well, excuse me."

He squeezed through and entered the password, opening the door. 

Jieun and Ji-woo exchanged looks of confusion, staring at the tall guy whose nametag read Kim Taehyung. 

"Why.. are you going through there?" Jieun asked, dumfounded.

 

"I live here."