You'll Never Get Rid of Me

In The Name of The Emperor

The Queen was very surprised when she read the guests that the Emperor wanted to invite for Song Joong Ki’s appointment as The Captain of The Royal Guards. So surprised was she, she immediately went to see her husband.

The Emperor was having his lunch amidst his hectic day, and turned to his Queen warily. “Yes, I’d like my only daughter to be there. Why do I have to be bothered in my meal time because of that? Why are you even surprised? I don’t get it”

“And I – Your Majesty, am confused why do you seem to throw The Princess at Song Joong Ki’s lap???”

“I beg your pardon???”

“It’s obvious, isn’t it? You’re fond of your best friend, The Right Minister. You invited her to attend the welcome home dinner with Song Joong Ki and his parents. And now you want her to be there in his appointment ceremony!!! Do you want to marry The Princess to a low minister’s son???”

The Emperor was so shocked he couldn’t speak for a while.

His eunuch even sighed at the corner of the room, since he knew The Emperor was having a complicated day, even more so than the usual.

“This. Is what I hate about you. You make simple matters so complicated. How on earth does wanting my daughter to attend Joong Ki’s appointment as wanting her to marry him??? I want her to be there simply to show her that somebody can reach the top due to hard work no matter how young he is! It has nothing to do with wanting her to marry anyone!

And second, what did you say? Joong Ki is a low minister’s son? The Right Minister is never low! If you even care to memorize the history of this nation, some emperors even couldn’t rule if not without the advise of their Right Ministers!!! And Minister Song is the most honest and capable man  I know! I admire how he managed to raise such a fine son! Which I don’t have despite the sons from you or from the concubines!!!”

The Queen’s face turned red out of anger.

“I have no intention to throw my daughter into anybody’s lap, just so you know! Besides, I don’t understand, if the son of The Right Minister is too low for you, who is worthy???”

“I don’t know......I’m thinking of the crown prince of China.....” The Queen answered arrogantly.

The Emperor stood up so fast the porcelain cup of his soju fell and crashed to the floor.

“THE CROWN PRINCE OF CHINA!!! MY DAUGHTER WILL NOT HAVE ANY RELATION WITH CHINA EVEN IF I HAVE TO HAUNT HER AFTER I DIE!!! ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND FOR EVEN THINKING OF THAT???”

The insolence of The Queen that The Emperor could never forgive was, she never apologized. She was the granddaughter of the previous emperor, and she always felt higher than him, who was only the son of a young concubine.

And that actually made them never agreed on anything. Their marriage was first and foremost, political.

“It might calm some of the conflicts we have...........”

“You better quit talking or I’ll order you to be restrained in your palace.........” the Emperor threatened.

The Queen dared to glare at him.

“Besides, why the sudden interest of The Princess? You've never cared of her before”

“My affection to Princess Kyo is eternal, Your Majesty”

The Emperor snorted.

“The easiest lie out of your mouth. She’s useful for you only to marry her to someone you think would benefit you best, isn’t she?”

“What an unjust prejudice, Your Majesty”

“I might really make her a nun. I know she won’t be happy with anyone we know in the current nobility’s generation. I will not send her to China to please your greedy heart. She will always be close to me, since none of my wives could produce a son that has any sense. And my daughter must be at the appointment ceremony of Joong Ki, do you hear me? If I hear you giving her irrational tasks to prevent her from attending, I really will put you under house restrain!”

The Queen held her head high and said, “She is my daughter and I have my say for her future, and life in general”

The Emperor got really angry that time, and walked fast to his queen, toppling a wooden chair on the way.

“Stop. Pretending. You care. For Hye Kyo. Do you hear me? I know how much you’ve hurt her, and you have to stop!!! She’s your own. Flesh. And blood. I’ve told you this before, and I’ll tell you again. It is not. Her fault. To be the firstborn of the queen, and not a son, and that your son was born after the son of the first concubine. It is not her fault, you lunatic! And I will not make her marriage your new scheme to torture her feelings! She’s had enough of your loveless motherhood! I am the ruler of this nation and I don’t care about the palace habits or whatnot! The Princess. Will never. Marry anyone. Without my consent. Anyone who defies it will be sentenced to death. Especially if the person is you!!!”

Angry tears streamed down The Queen’s cheek, and she bowed low before saying, “Thank you for the enlightening conversation, Your Majesty. I beg your permission to leave now”

And without waiting for the Emperor’s respond, she turned around and left the room.

“Aigoo.....aigoo......my neck!” The Emperor complained as his blood pressure rose.

His eunuch immediately pushed a chair near him and gave the emperor cool tea to calm down. At that precise moment, the guards announced Hye Kyo’s arrival.

“I apologize, Father, for arriving late. I hope you’re already starting lunch without me. I met Her Majesty The Queen outside, but she looked angry. Was that a bad fight?”

“The worst, Princess” the eunuch confided with a stressed expression.

“My, my. You better drink your high blood pressure medicine after this, Father. Or you won’t be able to restrain from screaming at the poor ministers during your afternoon meetings. We both know some of them deserve it, but you really need their favour too”

“Your mother – jeongmal. The thorn in my life – jinjja!”

“Sshhhh......let’s not whine, shall we? You sound old and cranky, Father. You hate that, don’t you? Now, let’s continue your meal. Aigooooo.......look at that food. It looks delicious. See, Father. Look, this lotus seeds soup, your favourite, isn’t it? Let’s finish this before this gets cold. And I’m starving too, omo!” Hye Kyo chattered, holding her tummy and acting starved. “Grandmother asked me to read such long pages of the stories from The Three Kingdom. I’m so tired, aigoo”

“What? You’re tired? This can’t be, tsk tsk tsk, that old hag. Always monopolizing you everyday, until you’re late to come to lunch. We’ve agreed that you’re hers before lunch, and you’re mine after lunch. We’ve agreed to that when you were still learning to walk. Tsk!”

“Make that usual vitamin potion for my daughter. And also that potion for her skin to glow” he ordered the eunuch. “You must not tire yourself out, my daughter. You should tell that old hag of yours”

“Even though she’s a hag, I love her, Father. And she’s a hag I wish to live forever. And I will drink your potions gladly if you’re willing to drink the high blood pressure medicine”

“Certainly, certainly. How long will the vitamins and potions be ready?”

“Around one hour, Your Majesty”

“And you see, your mother really destroys my spirit, so I think after lunch you must entertain this father of yours with your puppet show”

Since Princess Kyo was very young, her loyal lady-in waiting taught her to play puppets shows, with little dolls and made up stories. Over the years, she learnt to make up her own stories then performed it for her father and grandmother. And – someone else, but that was beside the point for now.

“Of course, Father. I’ll do it gladly. Young Ae?”

Her lady-in waiting immediately answered, “I’ll take the puppets set right now, My Princess”

“Ne”

“Since I’m in such a foul mood, I think I better postpone my afternoon hearing for an hour or two. Go tell the ministers I postpone it” The Emperor ordered to his eunuch. 

The Eunuch looked subtly at Princess Kyo and she nodded a little. “Surely an hour postponement is normal”

“Make it two”

“Algesseumnida, two hours. We’ll have lunch and then I’ll perform a very funny puppet show”

“Right” the Emperor smiled widely, already encouraged by her daughter’s presence. “Try this beef in honey and pepper sauce, my daughter. The meat is so tender today”

“Ye” Hye Kyo said, holding out a full bowl of rice then acted to eat excitedly to make her father happy.

After ten minutes, she was able to tell him anecdotes and he was laughing again.

The Eunuch sighed in relief, believing the late afternoon hearing won’t be so disastrous after all.

**********************************************

Three days later, on the day of his appointment ceremony as The Captain of The Royal Guard, Joong Ki waited for it to start from one of the balconies facing The Throne Room.

He saw the guards putting two wooden poles, before putting a thin yellow curtain on it. It was put on the left side behind the emperor’s throne. Then a carved chair was put behind it.

Frowning, Joong Ki asked the closest guard from where he stood.

“I think it’s the first time I’ve seen a curtained seat like this. Who’s going to sit there? The Queen Mother? Or is it The Queen?”

“Aniyo. It’s for The Princess”

“What??? Why are they treating her so conventionally? The Emperor is quite liberal and has never put curtained seats for any of his female family before!”

“You’re right. This is a first. It’s the request from the princess herself”

Joong Ki was so speechless he said nothing until the guard saluted and returned to his post.

So, you’re willing to attend my appointment ceremony but refused to let me see you? How cruel, Gongjoonim.........

And that way, the appointment ceremony of the youngest captain ever for The Royal Guard in their dynasty, was held in an elegant yet festive way. There were dancers that danced The Sword Dance, the best soju the country ever produced, and the highest government officials and ministers.

Everyone admired The Song family for having such a highly achieved son. All the ministers patted his shoulder and all the wives of the ministers gave The Young captain invitations to visit their house to meet their unmarried daughters........

But the captain himself was busy trying to figure out what the lady sitting behind the emperor was thinking.

She came with her father and bestowed the crowd only a glimpse of her appearance.

Joong Ki was kneeling with everyone else as the Emperor entered the room, but he looked up to see the princess passed behind her father’s throne and disappeared behind the yellow curtain.

Of all the colours in the world, she was wearing black that day.

A few years ago, Joong Ki joked that she looked worst in black. “Your fair skin makes you look like a ghost if you wear a black gown. Please don’t. I’ll be scared”.

He remembered her trying to hit him with a flower pot after that, and they had run around the garden of her palace all afternoon because of that.

And she wore black for his appointment ceremony.

How amusing.

The formal appointment was the emperor reading the decree he had written, and Joong Ki answering it.

“I hereby appoint Song Joong Ki, the only son of The Right Minister Song, to be The Captain of The Royal Guard, for although he is young, he has showed tremendous quality in battle strategy, intelligence and loyalty during his two years training at the borders, that resulted in 6 wins against the rebels and intruders. You must swear to protect me and my family with all your heart, until your last breath”

“I, Song Joong Ki, the only son of The Right Minister Song, am humbled and honoured to accept the position as The Captain of The Royal Guard. I swear to protect Your Majesty and Your Majesty’s noble family with all my heart, until my last breath”

“I accept your oath and I hereby declare you as the active Captain of The Royal Guard as of now. May you be blessed with prosperity and health”

“Manhi gamsahamnida, Your Majesty” he bowed by putting his forehead on the floor before kneeling to receive the official decree parchment.

And he looked up again to the curtained seat.

The figure behind it was sitting still.

***************************************************

Princess Kyo tried to think that the appointment of Song Joong Ki as The Captain of The Royal Guard as something unjust. That the emperor chose him out of favouritism. That he didn’t deserve it.......

But she couldn’t.

Even she thought it was normal that the emperor chose someone he knew well and trusted. No matter how she had turned to hate him, she knew he’s very capable of the position. He had always been diligent since he’s very young.......

She was planning to sit silently in her palace during the ceremony and only heard the news from her guards and servants, but her father invited her to the event, and she couldn’t refuse.

She was afraid he would think she was secretly excited, so she dressed in the colour he said made her looked bad a long time ago. She also took care to not wear any make-up, to be as ghostly as possible in black.

She even took extra chance to spite him by asking for a curtained seat. She wouldn’t give him the satisfaction to see her face when he’s reciting his oath. Because if she still knew him as well as she used to, that would exactly be what he wanted to do.

Her dear father was appalled to see her so pale after the ceremony – he didn’t know it was because the colour of the hanbok gown and that she didn’t wear anything on her skin, but she didn’t correct him and let him sent her to her palace to “rest well and not even think of stepping out unless she felt better”.

Therefore, she was freed from attending another party where Joong Ki appeared. This time, the party to celebrate his appointment as The Captain.

She took a long walk around her palace, read her books, took her warm bath, and got readied for bed that evening.

After her lady in-waiting finished combing her hair, the doors of her bedroom were closed and she covered the candles in the lantern near her made- mattress before lying down.

“You’ve become an expert in hurting people, Gongjoonim”

She was so shocked she knocked the lantern hanging beside her and screamed because the liquid wax of the candle poured onto her hand. She howled in pain and Joong Ki jumped to close with his hand, while reaching for her hand.

Her tears fell out of pain but though she hated him, she didn’t want him to die. A guard – regardless that he’s the captain – entering the bedroom of the emperor’s only princess in the evening would immediately be sentenced to death, no matter how fond the emperor was of his father.

“Mianheyo” Joong Ki hissed, panicking and bringing another lantern to inspect the damage.

The palm of her left hand was reddening. “Mianhe, this must hurt really bad. Ottoke? I’ll go, you should call your Young Ae Eonnie”

Hye Kyo pushed his hands away and went to her cabinet of traditional make-up and skin care.

She found the little pot of honey and put a generous amount on her wound.

“Gongjoonim??? What happened?” her lady-in waiting asked from the next room, already opening her door.

“I’m fine!” Hye Kyo shouted. “There’s just a spider! Don’t come in again, Eonnie! I’m tired!”

“Ye, algesseumnida, Gongjoonim!” the loyal Young Ae answered.

“Forgive me” Joong Ki said once more.

Hye Kyo glared at him.

“This is what you do to me. You can only hurt me!”

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to hurt you like that. But you’re the one who started this by putting that stupid curtained seat on my ceremony!”

“I’m the princess of this nation, and I can do whatever I want!!! And you should stop jumping in from windows to get here! We’re not ten anymore!!!”

“Why not? I want to share this moment with you, Gongjoonim”

“Share this night with your family. Not with me. We’re not related!” she said angrily, walking away to where her mattresses were laid.

She ignored him and lied down, covering herself with the thick blanket up to her chin.

Then she turned around so she wouldn’t have to see him.

“I did well, right? To be the captain of the royal guard at such a young age?”

His voice sounded close. She suspected he sat down on the floor beside her mattress.

She said nothing, wishing he’d believe she wanted to be alone and left.

But no, of course he didn’t. Because instead of leaving, he said, “I did well to make you proud, Gongjoonim. I did it all just to see one smile from you, for one word of congratulation from you”.

She had enough and got up.

“Excuse me, really. But have you made it up all in your mind – that I’m your – lover? Is that why you keep coming to me no matter how I assure you that our childhood friendship is over and that now I loathe you more than any other man I’ve ever seen?”

“Yes”

Hye Kyo sat motionless for a few seconds, unable to say anything.

“I should just scream and my guards will kill you”

“But you’re not going to” he countered.

“Try me. Try provoking me once more”

“Saranghaeyo”

She froze for a second, before she screamed “YOUNG—“

And he closed with his hand again.

“Do you really want me to die???”

Hye Kyo roughly pushed his hand away from her face.

“I just want you to leave me alone!”

“I can’t”

“Marry someone and disturb her only! Leave me in peace!”

“If I want to marry, Gongjoonim, I can pick from the best noble ladies in Hanyang. Today, around twenty wives of government officials invited me to go to their house to meet their unmarried daughters”

“Really? Congratulations. May your marriage be prosperous and you’ll have healthy children”

“I won’t”

“Wae???”

“Because none of them are you”

“..........will you leave me alone if I marry someone else?”

“No. I’ll kill your husband” he answered viciously.

“You’re insane!”

“I mean it. No matter who he is, he’ll never live long enough to experience the wedding night. I’ll kill him. I don’t mind being sentenced to death afterwards”

She had enough and wanted to get up but he caught her arms.

“Keep your hands off me!”

“No, it’s been three years and your coldness is killing me”

“It’s your own fault!”

“I was drunk that night!”

“I don’t want to hear it again!”

“Your brothers trapped me so I did that unforgivable act to you!!! I’d never do that to you if I were sober!!! You know that! You’ve known me since I was five!!!”

“I don’t care about the reason! You, of all people, shouldn’t treat me like that!!! It’s worse because it’s you!!!”

“Even when I was drunk, I went to your room, Gongjoonim! Can’t you understand that it’s because you’re always on my mind?”

She slapped him hard on the cheek.

He was stunned for a second.

Good. He understood now, he’ll leave. We’ll never discuss this again.

Instead, he jumped at her, lied her down, trapped her with his weight, and held her beneath him by her wrists.

She was too shocked to scream or kick him away.

“You’ll never get rid of me” he swore. “Spite me, ignore me and throw those disgusted eyes at me, but you’ll never get rid of me, ever!”

Hye Kyo refused to see him and looked away.

“Try marrying someone else” he taunted. “I’ll stab him before he even reaches your wedding bed!”

She now refused to say anything, because when he’s this angry, her only weapon was her silence. It had always been like that. Her silence had always driven him crazy in the past.

“I love you, Gongjoonim. And I’ve missed you terribly. Be generous and forgive me, jebalyo”

She said nothing and still refused to look at him and she looked so unfairly beautiful in her white hanbok for sleeping, with her hair down like that and her skin glowing under the dim light of the lantern, and he couldn’t resist it so he kissed her cheek and –

She flinched and tried to push him away, her legs trying to kick him, but the result was too weak.

He had grown to be a strong man after leaving for two years, and he held her down so easily.

“I’ve missed you......there was never a day without thinking about you........” he said, before kissing her neck gently.

She tried to push him away again but to no avail.

“You’re more beautiful than I remember..........”

“Joong Ki-yah, come to your senses and get off me!!!”

Instead of listening, he put his lips on hers and kissed her.

She struggled hard against him with all her strength and he finally got up and let her go.

“Get out of my room. Now!!!”

After one last hard look, he finally walked away, jumping out a window at the corner and stealthily ran out from her garden.

Oh, he’s good at that. Wearing all black and using all the skills he learned from the army to spy enemies, he really could come and go to many places without being seen. Including the chamber of the emperor’s only princess.

For years, he often escaped from the guards in his own house and entered the princess’s room for a cup of tea and a chat near midnight. Her loyal lady in-waiting used to know, and let them, since he’s the only friend the princess ever had.

But it had all stopped three years ago, when he broke every ounce of trust she ever had in him.

He had repented, he had left, and he had worked hard.

However, seeing her again taught him that the three years only made him loved her crazier.

No matter how she pushed him away, he would just – be with her.

Either that or losing his entire sanity.

***************************************************

Joong Ki didn’t risk forcing to meet the princess again for days afterwards. He worked everyday in the palace, but always beside the emperor.

One afternoon after lunch, the emperor complained on how his daughter had said she preferred to be in her own palace, saying she had a cold, not wanting her father to get it too from her.

“I miss her, you know? She’s the breeze of my tiresome days. It’s gloomy without seeing her”

Joong Ki agreed wholeheartedly but said nothing.

“Shall I just go and see her?”

“..........I think you better not, Your Majesty. It can’t be long, right? It’s just a cold. She’ll visit you again in no time”

More or less, Joong Ki knew her reason. He was always beside her father lately, so she didn’t want to see him.

But she would come round soon, he was sure of that. She wouldn’t be able to avoid seeing her father forever, right?

“Maybe it’s her weekly visit to that temple that is making her ill. I’ve told her to just pray in her palace, but she wouldn’t listen”

“Pardon me, Your Majesty. What temple?”

“That famous temple where all the noble ladies go to pray. She said she felt peace there, so I don’t forbid her to go every week. Her life has always been so secluded, as you may well know”

But.........he knew, the princess had never been a religious person.

And he had a feeling that she didn’t really go to a temple.........

Every week? What was she doing?

The next chance he got, he decided, he's going to follow her.

******************************************************

Author’s Note:

For all those readers who have been waiting.

I hope you like this chapter, though a very emotional one.

I’ll write about “what happened three years ago” to ease your curiosity on the next chapter.

I wish for you to love the princess, the captain and the emperor.

Thank you for waiting, reading and commenting.