The Princess's Secret

In The Name of The Emperor

“Two weeks has passed since I’ve seen my own daughter. This really cannot be. Is she annoyed with me because of something? I can’t imagine a cold would prevent her from coming out from her palace for two weeks! I’ve decided, I really will visit her today!”

Joong Ki said nothing as he stood behind the emperor, who’s busy reading the governor’s reports from different provinces.

He also hadn’t seen the princess for two weeks. He dared not risk her getting angrier at him, after he had kissed her so boldly that night. He was busy performing his duties. When the emperor was having his daily discussions with ministers, he usually patrolled around the palace with his men. Not only checking whether everything was secure or not, he also sent his men to do all the reparation and renovation needed.

He dined with important soldiers and the highest eunuchs in the palace, conversing about the safety of the royal family. His mother commented that she felt no difference from when he was still out of the city borders for two years, she rarely ever seen him too since he became The Captain of The Royal Guard.

He had always felt a strong connection to the palace. The Queen Mother had always been kind to him, and the Emperor had told he wished Joong Ki to be brought to the palace everyday to study with the tutors of the princes since he was five, so he knew every corners of the palace.

Returning as The Captain of a Royal Guard changed his perspective a lot.

He understood more about The Emperor. He’s a dedicated and diligent person. No one would be a more deserving emperor than him. And he finally saw with his own eyes, there was no love between him and his wives.

The emperor had everything, but was the kind of person that was unlucky in love. He had a Queen and two concubines, but he loved neither of them. The three of them always greeted him every morning, but for the past two weeks, those were all their interactions.

The emperor slept alone every evening and visited none of them. He didn’t ask for a gisaeng or any other women either.

Joong Ki concluded that the emperor married his women just because he had to have his heirs.

The Left Minister and The Queen were siblings, and Joong Ki knew there were rumours that they hated The Emperor to the bone.

He felt the bad atmosphere during The Queen’s birthday party. The Emperor, The Queen and The Left Minister were so cold and cynical to each other, that he started to think that they were dangerous people.

The next day, after having lunch with the emperor’s eunuch, he asked bluntly, “How much does The Queen and The Left Minister hated His Majesty?”

The eunuch, which Joong Ki knew was 100% loyal to his sovereign, was surprised but said nothing. However, his face grew tense and concerned.

“Sir. Answer me, just this once, so I’ll understand who I should protect His Majesty from. Is their hatred deep enough to cause harm to The Emperor?”

Used to guard his tongue for fear of spies everywhere, the eunuch only nodded.

A chill ran down Joong Ki’s spine, “Mortal harm?”

The eunuch nodded again, horrifying Joong Ki even more.

“But they have two children together!!!”

The eunuch shook his head and smiled sadly.

“The Captain of The Guard is great in many ways, but he is still innocent to the cruelty of this world. A loveless marriage could bring a lot of harm and hatred”

The Eunuch bowed and excused himself to return back to his majesty’s throne room.

************************************************

The Emperor lost his patience that afternoon. He had a bad afternoon arguing with The Left Minister about tax, and he needed his consolation, his witty daughter. So, without sending a messenger that he’s going to visit, he just went with his entourage to his daughter’s palace.

“The Emperor has arrived” one of the soldiers announced, as they all entered the palace.

In the vast sitting room, they were met with emptiness.

They stood for a minute in silence, as the emperor began worrying.

“Where’s my daughter? She would never leave the palace to the temple without notifying me! Has she been harmed in any way?”

“Your Majesty!” Lee Young Ae, the princess’s most trusted lady in waiting ran and bowed formally.

“Please sit down. The Princess has just returned from walking. She’s dishevelled and dressing up now to be more presentable”

“Walking? I thought she’s recovering from a bad cold? Shouldn’t she stay indoor?” the emperor wondered.

“She said being indoor too long suffocated her. She’ll be ready presently. Can I offer you any refreshments, Your Majesty?”

“A cold tea would be nice. I’m parched”

“Certainly, Your Majesty”

In a matter of minutes, the emperor then served a pot of cold tea and a set of snacks.

Five minutes passed and Joong Ki became very curious. In the past, whenever the emperor visited her palace, the princess would abandon everything and ran to the door. What had changed? Or more importantly, what was she doing?

“Father, what a surprise!” she exclaimed after finally appearing, bowing low then sitting in front of her father.

“My Daughter! Oh dear! It feels like I haven’t seen you in two centuries!”

“It’s only been two weeks, Father. But I’m glad that we meet today”

“How have you been, Child? Were you very ill? I think you’re pale and you’ve lost weight”

“I had a fever and couldn’t get up for three days”

“Omona! Why didn’t you tell me??? Everyone told me it’s just a common cold! Had I known –“

“I had the best care possible, Father. The Head of Physician checked me up and gave me medicines, then advised me to rest. You know how the weather is, lately”

“Indeed, indeed. But are you truly better now?”

“I’m definitely better. Have you eaten lunch, Father? Would you dine here with me?”

“I haven’t. I’ve come here to have some. Joong Ki can also dine with us, right? I’m sure he’s been starving too. He didn’t patrol the palace this afternoon, because I’ve told him he should guard me during the hearing with the ministers today”

“Has there been a problem, Father?”

Her tone made Joong Ki frowned. She sounded really terrified, as if her father didn’t speak in a casual manner.

The Emperor waved his hand.

“It’s that time of the year again, the annual financial reports of all Ministers and government officials. I told Joong Ki he must guard me against The Left Minister because –“ here The Emperor paused to sip his tea, but Joong Ki noticed The Princess gripped the edge of the table until her knuckles went white.

“I was afraid I would throw the empire’s seal to his head. I’m very annoyed with him lately. It wouldn’t be nice if I kill my own minister in a debate, wouldn’t it?”

Joong Ki saw The Princess let go of her grip.

“Right. It would be completely humiliating. Although we know the minister deserves it” Hye Kyo said the last word in a low, joking tone, and her father roared with laughter.

The meals then arrived and the emperor asked Joong Ki to sit down and urged him to start.

Her manners were easy and cheerful, like a proper daughter who was happy with her father’s visit. But something was wrong, he was sure of it. She was doing something she shouldn’t when they arrived earlier.

She must have dressed in a hurry. Her hair was braided properly, but she wasn’t wearing her usual jewels. The hairpins, the jade tassels, the bracelets from The Emperor and The Queen Mother that she usually always wore on both her wrists........

The edges of her hair on her forehead was wet.....

She was sweating.

And she avoided eye contact with him.

Something was definitely wrong.

And she’s hiding something massive behind her doors.

He wouldn’t be Song Joong Ki if he didn’t resolve to get to the bottom of it.

**************************************************

He was going to corner her that evening, but his most trusted sergeant gave him a news he couldn’t abandon. There was a village near the city that was famous in the underground world as the village where assassins and mercenaries lived.

“I’m not sure it’s just a rude joke or something true. A very rich person who is anonymous has offered a huge ransom for anyone from that village who is willing to kill the emperor, by any means possible. This rumour is spreading between thieves in the city, and someone tipped me about it. I think we better investigate it, Captain” Sergeant Seo Dae Young explained.

Of course, Joong Ki postponed going to the princess’s palace that evening to go to The Assassin’s Village.

He and Dae Young went together, wearing common people’s clothes, and went to a tavern in that village, hoping to hear something informative.

Joining a band of young men playing dice, they heard someone said, “If you really want to hear something important around here, go to the back room and meet the psychic. She’s actually not really a psychic, but an expensive informant of anything. Anyone who needs to know anything usually goes to her”

He and Dae Young then went to the back of the tavern, where there was a smaller wooden hut built.

And then something unbelievable happened.

Before they entered the hut, two ladies in black wearing veiled straw hats came out of the door. It was going to rain, and a hard wind blew.

The veil of one woman was lifted, and then and there, Joong Ki saw that it was Princess Hye Kyo!

“You! What are you –“

Before he finished his sentence, the princess had run, climbed the saddle of a horse nearby, and galloped away.

The other woman copied her. Joong Ki had no doubt that it must be her lady-in waiting, Lee Young Ae.

He and his friend, who came on foot, had no hope to chase them. Beside, they were definitely coming home to the palace.

*********************************************

The next day was the birthday of the emperor, and Joong Ki didn’t leave his side even for a single minute, since the eunuch said there was a chance that something dangerous might happen. He had also heard about the rumour of wealthy somebody trying to hire an assassin to kill the emperor, and was also very worried.

Therefore, together they always stayed with the emperor.

But when Joong Ki saw The Princess leaving her table with her train of guards and ladies in waiting, he excused himself, trusting his sergeant would manage for a short time without him.

If he still knew her as good as he used to, the princess would find solace in her favourite part of the garden.

He was right. He found her standing on a stone bridge, massaging her forehead and looking distressed.

"You should never be alone, Gongjoonim"

She jumped hearing the voice, and turned around.

"Joong Ki-ssi! Don't scare me like that!!!"

Determined to get an answer, he walked carefully towards her. 

"I have a lot to say to you, Gongjoonim. And this is the right location to talk"

"I refuse. Run along and do your rounds or something. I'm having a headache seeing all those hypocrites around my father"

"I need to talk to you"

"I said I don't want to!"

"I need to ask you something important, Gongjoonim"

"I don't want to hear it!"

"Why, of all the people in the world, did I see the first daughter of the emperor visiting The Assassin's Village last night? In black plain clothes too? What are you trying to do?"

She looked shocked, like she didn’t expect him to blatantly ask her that. But it wouldn’t be Princess Hye Kyo if she answered so easily.

"Why, then, the esteemed soldier of Royal Guard was in The Assassin's Village last night? You're supposed to be here, in the palace, last night"

"So were you, Gongjoonim"

"I am doing what I have to, Captain Song" she said coldly, suddenly speaking in her cold honorific tone. 

"Need I remind you something I've told you many times before? You are a princess, Gongjoonim, not a prince. Don't do what you're not meant to do!"

"Can't a daughter protect her father?" 

"It's not. A daughter's. Duty" Joong Ki said, clenching his teeth. 

Princess Hye Kyo lifed her chin. And with eyes wet with angry tears, she replied, "None of his sons care to protect him. They want him to die as soon as possible to fight for his throne"

Her words infuriated him.

"That doesn't mean you can trot along The Assasin's Village only with your maid!"

"You have no right to tell me what I can and cannot do!"

"Haven't I?" he asked back, holding her wrist.

She pulled her wrist away, looking furious then, viciously saying, "Remember your place, Captain!"

Angrier by then, Joong Ki shook her body roughly, past caring about manners then, making her jewels rattled.

"Listen to me!" he said, gritting his teeth. His nails dug deep into her arms and she tried hard to stifle her screams. "A father must be saved, but if The Left Minister only heard a whisper of you trying to do anything against him, you'd be dead. Rather than seeing you die, I'd rather lock you up myself! Use your brain, Gong Joo! You can save no one! Just save yourself!!!"

She looked like she was about to cry, making him regretted what he did to her, then she pushed his hands away.

"Either help me, or pretend you're deaf and blind. I'm going to save my father. If you dare scold me like this ever again, I'll make sure you'll be sent to jail!"

With that, she turned away and walked as fast as she could without breaking into a run, holding her expensive hanbok dress above her ankles to walk faster. 

Once she got out of the garden's gate, she walked to the direction of her own palace, her lady in waitings and guards following behind her. 

On the stone bridge, Joong Ki gripped the edge until it hurt.

***************************************************

If he couldn’t get his answers fairly, he’d cheat to get it. Everything was fair in love and war anyway.

The Emperor was comfortable enough with Sergeant Seo Dae Young by then, so he happily played chess with him every evening as Joong Ki excused himself and saying he was having dinner with his parents at his own house.

In truth, he had been disguising himself as a beggar near the psychics’ hut behind the tavern. He was sure the princess would go there again.

And he was right.

After one week, exactly on the same day and time when he saw her the previous week, he heard the sound of horses. He was sure it was the sound of two horses. But the riders went inside the wooden hut through the back door. The tavern was as crowded as usual that night, and the psychic had been receiving a steady flow of visitors too.

But the princess and her lady-in waiting were inside.

Joong Ki walked to the back of the hut and opened the door after seeing the horses. He was certain those were the same horses the princess and her maid used the previous week.

After coming inside, he was surprised to find that the hut was not really a hut. But a big house. The front look was really misleading.

It was dark and he immediately entered a hallway with rooms on either sides of him.

And then he heard the sound of swords clashing.

His heart stopped.

Taking out a dagger, he ran to the source of the sound and kicked open the door.

Two women were fighting fiercely against each other with a sword in their hands.

One look and he realized it was the princess, fighting so murderously until she didn’t realize someone had burst into the room.

Her opponent was a woman too. She realized someone was entering the room.

On the second when she looked to another side, Hye Kyo jumped to slash her open.

But the woman noticed what she was about to do before she even did it, and nearly on the same second bent down to cut the princess’s belly.

Joong Ki was faster though, he threw his dagger as hard as he could to the woman’s hand and it hit her, making her let go of the sword.

The woman recovered her senses quick though. Ignoring the princess who was fighting against her, she picked up her sword and attacked Joong Ki, who had nothing to defend himself.

But someone jumped and held the woman’s sword with her own sword, nearly getting herself killed.

“DON’T!!! HE’S WITH ME!!!” Hye Kyo screamed.

Joong Ki nearly died seeing her defending him like that. He’d rather die than having her defending him, so in two seconds, he grabbed her sword and pushed her to the side as hard as he could.

He then waved his hands to slash the woman but Hye Kyo screamed, “NO!!! SHE’S MY TEACHER!!!”

The woman held her sword in front of her to defend herself and the swords clang loudly.

“You’re going to kill her”

“I am teaching her how to use a sword!”

Horrified, Joong Ki turned to the princess.

“It’s true! Stop it!”

Joong Ki pulled back, and the woman eyed him furiously.

“Yah!!! Why on earth are you learning to use swords???”

“It’s none of your business!”

“It is!!! Gongjoonim, EXPLAIN IT TO ME!!!”

Hye Kyo shut her eyes and took a deep breath.

“Ahrasseo. Ahrasseo, I’ll tell you everything. But just calm down, and let go of that sword”

Joong Ki threw the sword to the floor angrily.

“Leave us” she ordered to her lady-in waiting and her teacher.

Once the doors were closed, Joong Ki walked to The Princess in an anger he never knew he was capable of.

“You want to kill The Left Minister” he hissed. “This is what you’re planning, isn’t it?”

“I am” she answered, her chin held high.

“You can’t do that!”

“I definitely can”

“How on earth are you going to do that??? The Left Minister is always guarded with the best private soldiers in the empire and what could a woman like you do against them???”

“By poisoning him on my wedding night party with his son”

“What???”

“His son has been proposing to me formally, two years in a row. Next year, I’m going to say yes”

“So you can kill the father and son?”

“Yes”

“You’re a lunatic!”

“I’m going to save my father!”

“By failing miserably in a murder attempt and getting yourself killed?”

“I won’t. I know I will succeed. They wouldn’t dream I’d be capable of something like that”

“Stop this nonsense!”

“Shiro! They’re planning to kill Father!”

“They who?”

“The Queen and The Left Minister!”

“Your mother and your uncle?”

“Yes!!!”

“How do you know?”

“I’ve bribed The Queen’s most trusted lady-in waiting”

“She’s lying to you”

“SHE’S NOT!!!”

“How can you be so sure?”

“She told me the contents of my mother’s letters. She reports everything to me!!!”

“She must be making up those reports”

“I know it’s hard to believe even for you, Joong Ki-yah”

She was crying, he realized.

“But I’m telling the truth. My own mother is trying to kill her husband. And he is my father. I won’t let that happen” she vowed, though her voice shook. “I’m going to protect him.

“Ask help from your brothers”

“Why? They’ll be happy if Father dies!”

“They can’t be!!! He’s their father too!”

“Yes, but they want his throne!!!”

Joong Ki looked at her uncomprehendingly.

“You’re still too naive, Joong Ki-yah, even after going to the borders and having your battles. Me – my battles for the past two years have been more gruesome than yours. I’m battling at my own home”

“Does – does The Queen know that you know?”

“I suspect she thinks I know, but she has no proof”

Joong Ki was speechless.

“There was never any love between Her Majesty and me. You know that”

He still said nothing.

“And if it all comes down to making choices, my choice would always be my father, against her and against anything else”

“Don’t risk yourself”

“I am, and I’m doing it willingly. You can’t stop me”

“I won’t let you”

“I’ll accept the proposal next year”

“You won’t marry anyone else as long as I still live”

“Should I arrange your death too?”

“Your plan would fail”

“It won’t”

“Even if it could succeed, I can’t let you risk yourself like this”

“You can’t control me, Joong Ki. I choose my own destiny”

She looked regal then, entirely the princess of the nation.

But she stepped back when he stepped forward. Because the fury in his eyes unnerved her.

He reached for her cheeks and made her focus onto his blazing, angry eyes.

“How courageous of you, Gongjoonim. And we are identical in this. I too, choose my own destiny. I choose to protect you from any harm, especially against yourself, you stubborn, crazy Princess. I will help you, do you understand? I will help you in this. I’ll investigate, I’ll increase the security, and I’ll always keep your father from harm. My sergeant will always follow you from now on”

“Your sergeant should be with you to protect Father”

“No. He will be with you to ensure that you won’t do anything dangerous ever again. And it will happen no matter you agree or not”

“I am the only daughter of the reigning emperor and I refuse to be followed by your sergeant. I command you to let me do my plan”

“I am the captain of The Royal Guard and I am demanding you to let this be handled by the professionals”

“You can’t—“

“Sarang-ah, listen to me” he begged. “Don’t carry this burden alone. Please. I beg you. Share it with me. You’re not alone. I’m here.”

She blinked as one tear dropped.

She blinked again and more tears dropped.

“Are your mother and uncle really planning to kill your father?”

A sob wrecked through her as her defences broke.

“Yes” she answered, as she began crying and her knees gave out.

Joong Ki knelt down to hold her as she cried out loud.

“It’s been – a very difficult two years”

“I’m sorry”

“I’ve been so – scared” she sobbed. “Every morning – every morning I wait for news whether Father is still – alive or not”

“Let it go, Gongjoonim. Cry. Let out your feelings. I’m here”

“Everyday – everyday I pretend nothing is wrong. And it’s so exhausting”

“I’m sorry, Gongjoonim. I’m sorry for what you’ve been through”

“It’s been – so hard. So hard. And you’re not – there – for me”

“I’m sorry. I’m so sorry. But I’m here now. I won’t let you face this alone, Gongjoonim”

More sobs escaped her. All the pain she’s been through gushed out into painful sobs and she reached out, reaching for him and hugging him tight, crying on his shoulders and letting herself clung onto him.

Joong Ki hugged her and tried to soothe her by brushing her back.

She’s crying like she’s been tortured.

From then on, the princess forgave her soulmate.

Her need of him was far bigger than her anger of what happened between them three years previously.

It’s too heart-wrenching to fight alone.

Maybe with Joong Ki beside her, the fight wouldn’t be that excruciating.

 

Author's Note:

I hope the progress is still a good story to read. It might be too complicated for some, but I really want to write this. It would be great if Song2 could star in a saeguk drama like this. 

Have you seen them in Baeksang Arts Awards? They really give me more than I've ever dreamed of. They looked so sweet together, like attending their own wedding :)

Ah, I love them very much. 

Have a great Ramadhan for all my readers who will fast. May we all be healthy and full of spirits this month!