You and I

In The Name of The Emperor

OST: Two People by Sung Si Kyung. Please listen while reading

************************************************************************************************************

Song Joong Ki didn’t spare any discretion in handling the princess after that. His emotion was burnt and he tried hard not to stop and think what would happen if she got hurt in learning swords. She and her teacher didn’t use the wooden ones, but sparred with the real ones.

After her cries subsided, he merely dragged her to her horse outside, climbed behind her and galloped to her palace. Her maid, who rode behind them, arrived after the princess finished one cup of tea.

Lee Young Ae helped the princess bathe and changed into her dressing gown. When she asked whether Joong Ki had left or not, he opened her bedroom door again.

She was already sitting on her mattress, and watching him walking to her, she knew it would be useless asking him to go that night. He’d definitely not leave her on her own after knowing what she intended to do.

He sat on the floor beside her luxurious mattress and said, “Tell me everything”.

“I.......just notice the hatred between my mother and my father deepened. Between The Left Minister and my father too. It was mostly a hunch. Around one month after you left for the borders, I asked Young Ae Eonnie to bribe as many of my mother’s maids as she could. When I succeeded getting my mother’s main lady-in waiting to my side, she brought me letters between my mother and my uncle. They are definitely planning to kill Father”

“The maid reported all the conversations between my mother and my uncle. They probably think she’s very loyal, since she has followed my mother since they were teenagers, but she hated my mom. Young Ae Eonnie knows why, that’s another story to tell”

“They discussed the methods to kill father. Assassins, poisons, faking accidents.........They keep trying to bribe or threaten my father’s servants and guards. But they are all vigilant against her and her cronies. They know how much Father doesn’t like her, so they are naturally wary of her. Besides, Father pays them very well, so they have no reasons to betray him. Some of their family members get good positions in their villages, so they’re all very loyal to my Father”

“Still.....” her voice broke, “I dread waking up every morning. I’m afraid that Father would be killed during the night. So – every night has been a torture”

“You should’ve tried to talk to my Father, Gongjoonim. He’d help you”

“Your father is a good man, but my father’s enemies are within the walls of this palace. I don’t think your father could do anything about that”

“I’ll guard your father well” he vowed.

“Please do so”

“Do you have trouble sleeping these past two years?”

“.......yes. I often have nightmares”

“I get why you’ve lost so much weight now”

“...........................”

“I’ll stay here until dawn”

“You don’t have to”

“I insist”

The Princess stared at him, trying to still be angry and hating him. But it was a failure. Joong Ki had always been the only person that could make her believe she’s not alone.

“Who’s guarding my father tonight?”

“Sergeant Seo. I trust him with my life. You should trust him with your father’s too”

The Princess chuckled bitterly and finally lied down.

This moment felt amusingly nostalgic. Ever since Joong Ki was twelve and had been so good at martial arts – his master was a spy for The Emperor – he had often entered her bedroom to talk with her late into the night and accompanied her until dawn.

He visited her one or two evenings every week. Lee Young Ae used to scold him for that, but over the years, she finally understood that there was a bond between the two young nobles, and she couldn’t stop it from happening.

His late-night visits stopped only three years previously, after the disastrous night between them happened.

Joong Ki had never touched even an inch of the princess during their secret night meetings, no matter how he felt for her. Until that night, when he wasn’t the master of his own body and soul.

The Princess was very exhausted after the strenuous sword practice and after pouring out her heart to Joong Ki. Her eyes drooped.

When she turned to him sitting beside her and seeing him smiled at her, she fell asleep.

It felt like coming home.

************************************************

The Princess and the only son of The Right Minister first met when they were still children, since The Emperor was very fond of Joong Ki. He wanted him to study at the palace with his own sons. The fathers had planned for him to be a soldier that would guard The Royal Family ever since his early years.

Thus, the little Song Joong Ki met with The Emperor’s only daughter, Princess Hye Kyo.

At that time, Joong Ki didn’t have a sister yet. So seeing The Princess was always a pleasure for him.

The little princess had always been a lonely child. Her mother didn’t love her, because she was not a son. She always felt the princess stole her chance to be the first woman that could give The Emperor a son, but because of Hye Kyo, she had lost the opportunity.

The Emperor was urged by his mother to marry a concubine once The Queen’s first born was a daughter. And The Emperor obliged, and got a son from his first concubine.

The act of marrying a concubine to get a son was the most common thing in royal history, but regardless, The Queen was jealous. She didn’t love The Emperor, but another woman was a threat for her.

Because of all this, The Princess, who was still a baby, was hated by her own mother.

Luckily for her, The Emperor loved her very much. It was love at first sight. The first time the royal midwife gave Hye Kyo onto his arms, he fell in love. Hye Kyo became the daughter he loved most. The Queen Mother also loved her, since she was a very cute and beautiful baby.

Hye Kyo was fed by a lady-in waiting, not her mother. It was The Queen Mother who saw her making her first step. She sent an express news to his son, and The Emperor rode to his mother’s palace with a horse to see his daughter walking for the first time.

Her first word was “Appa”, or “Father”, making him loved her even more.

Lee Young Ae was five years older than The Princess, the granddaughter of The Queen Mother’s most trusted maid, and she was the only friend the princess had, before she met Joong Ki.

There were other royal children, actually. Her cousins, the sons and daughters of the emperor’s sisters and brothers. Yet somehow, they all hated her, for a reason she didn’t understand.

She spent her early years playing alone, watched by her Lee Young Ae Eonnie. She loved wandering around the palace, entering gardens and other people’s palaces, holding hands with her Eonnie and followed by her guards and other lady-in waiting.

She had all the luxurious things a child could ever need. Her hanbok dresses were of the best quality. She had worn beautiful jewels since the day she was born. She had guards and maids attending to her, all day long.

But the princess was lonely.

Since she was always alone, she actually didn’t know that she was lonely.

Until one day, when she had a bad cold while her father was busy with courtroom discussions with his ministers and her grandmother left to a village for a one month annual meditation.

She was having a bad fever but couldn’t sleep, sitting on her bed with all her favourite playthings around her.

She was fine until she suddenly threw all her dolls to the floor.

“Why no one come, Eonnie? Why no one play with Kyo?”

“..........I’m sorry Gongjoonim.........”

“Bring people, Eonnie. Bring people, tell play with me!”

“..........you can always play with us, Gongjoonim, your servants and maids..........”

“I don’t want you or you, you!” she pointed to her guards and other lady-in waiting. Always you, you. Everyday! I want small, like me!”

“I’m sorry Gongjoonim........”

“Why no one play with me? I want!!!”

She then sobbed and sagged on her bed, small and very much alone. That   afternoon, all her lady-in waiting had tears in their eyes seeing her sadness. They feel pity for their little sovereign, who was ill and very lonely.

Her fever worsened that night, and she fainted the next day on the way to her mother’s palace, who obliged her, no matter what, to be brought to greet her every morning. The Queen didn’t care that her daughter was ill. She just wanted to show everyone that her daughter, although very close to her father and grandmother, still obeyed her.

When The Emperor heard his five year old daughter fainted on her way to greet her mother, The Emperor was very furious to The Queen, and asked The Royal Treasurer to stop The Queen’s monthly allowance for three months, thus making The Queen hating her daughter even more.

After she fainted, Princess Hye Kyo lied in bed for three days. The Physician even said that her life was in danger. She was very weak and refused to eat or drink. She could only be fed once she lost all her strength.

Lee Young Ae, fearing for The Princess’s life, gathered all her courage to talk to the emperor.

He practically spent all his free time on his daughter’s palace when she was ill, and was surprised to see the ten year old maid suddenly kneeling to him.

“Your Majesty, forgive me for daring to speak to you, but I beg you, may I speak about the princess?”

Surprised, The Emperor nodded.

“Yes. Yes, of course. What is it?”

“Please Your Majesty. The Princess needs a friend”

“A friend?”

“Yes, Your Majesty. She is very, very lonely”

The little maid then broke into a sob. The Emperor was touched and became sad too, listening to her sincere plea for her sovereign, then even got up to pat her shoulders, promising he would find a friend for the princess.

He had always been fond of his best friend’s son, who was born on the same year with his daughter. He had planned for him to be brought to the palace and study with his two princes, when Joong Ki was 7 or 8 years old.

The plan had to be moved forward, because The Emperor could think of no one else better that could befriend his lonely little girl.

Therefore, the first meeting of the little princess and the little lord happened.

One morning, after The Princess was bathed, she lied in bed because she was still in mild fever.

“Lady Song and his son Lord Joong Ki have arrived!” a guard announced outside.

Hye Kyo turned to the door, seeing a lovely woman and a little boy, carrying two big things that she had never seen before.

Hye Kyo sat up and greeted her, “Lady Song”.

“My Princess, good morning to you!” the lady greeted cheerfully, not commenting on how pale the little girl was. “This is my son, Song Joong Ki”

“Song Joong Ki imnida, Gongjoonim” the little boy bowed just like he was taught.

“........what are those?” The Princess asked, pointing to the things he was carrying.

“These? Don’t you know?” The little lord asked back in an incredulous tone.

His mother touched his shoulder to remind him to be patient and polite.

“These are kites. Omma told me to show it to you”

“..........what do you do with those?”

“I fly it”

Her eyes widened.

“Jjinjja?”

“Ne”

“How???”

“Fly these when there’s wind, with this thread. See?” Joong Ki waved the two rolls of thread he was holding.

“Ooooh...........never play with it before! Let’s play now!”

“Aniya. Omma said we can only play it when you’re healthy again. Omma said I must sit and talk to you and you must eat your meals. Or you won’t stop having fever and we’ll never be able to play these kites”

“...............Eonnie. Rice, Eonnie. Rice!”

Lady Song laughed as Young Ae ran to get The Princess’s lunch. It was the first time in weeks she wanted to eat properly, without being cajoled and begged.

As she munched her soft rice, meat and veggies, she gave a cookie to Joong Ki.

“Eat too” she urged.

“I already ate my lunch”

“Tasty” she assured. “Kyo’s favourite. Nom nom nom!”

The little boy burst into laughter.

“Omma, she’s cute” he said to his mother.

“I know, My Boy. Go accept the cookie”

Joong Ki accepted the cookie and sat on the bed beside the princess, after carefully putting his precious kites on the nearest table.

Once she finished half her meal, The Princess announced. “Full! Play now!”

“Andwaeyo, Gongjoonim” Lady Song stopped her from leaving the bed. “I think you’ll be able to play next week. Definitely not before that”

“Next week??? So long!!!”

“Because you’re very unwell, Pretty Princess” the lady then put her palm on the child’s forehead.

“See, you’re still having a fever. If you eat well, sleep well and drink your medicine, I’m sure you will be healthy again next week. And then you and Joong Ki can play kites together”

“But one week is so long!”

“Not with a friend. I will bring Joong Ki here every lunch. You two can play together here in your bedroom. Once you are healthy again, you can play kites with him. Would you like that?”

The Princess nodded eagerly, before giving another cookie to Joong Ki and picking up her spoon to continue her meal.

That was how they first met each other.

The bond lasted since then, never fading away.

************************************************

The Princess and the young Lord grew up together. They met five days a week, since Joong Ki studied with her brothers in the palace. After that, they usually played around the gardens. Hide and seek, imaginary treasure hunt and feeding all the pets that could be fed. It was normal to see the little princess and the young lord together.

On rainy days, they would make up their own stories with the princess’s little dolls.

When The Princess was 7 years old, life got harder for her, since the lessons to be a good princess started. Her lessons were supervised by her mother, who planned strenuous schedule for her. Calligraphy and etiquettes, history and embroidery, painting and dancing were the first six lessons she learnt.

She often got too tired until she fell asleep on her desk.

But she always cheered up when Joong Ki found her after his own lessons were finished, and then they would have lunch together.

Joong Ki started his martial arts education when he was 8. His father chose a high skilled retired spy to teach him how to be swift and effective in sword fighting and archery.

One day, after the weekend had passed, she whined because she was very lonely and couldn’t sleep well, since they couldn’t play and meet.

Since then, every weekend when Joong Ki got no lessons to attend at the palace, he would sneak into the princess’s palace at nights. The Princess’s guards and lady in waiting didn’t scold him too much because they knew, the princess only had one friend, and it was him.

They spent their childhood like that, the precious years where the things they needed to worry about was whether their tutors would give their parents good reports about them or not.

Subtly, they entered their teenage years.

Everything was normal, except that they didn’t play hide and seek or treasure hunt anymore, only walking around the palaces’ gardens and trying to beat each other on jenga and other traditional games.

Joong Ki felt something changed when he realized he stared at her without listening to what she was saying, one humid afternoon in summer. They were fanning themselves with her expensive painted fans, sitting by the window and trying to play mahyong. She was only in her dressing gown, too used with him and didn’t think that she needed to cover herself more. Her hanbok gown was too thick and heavy for the humid day. Her mother would hit her with a stick if she found out, but well, she didn’t know. Besides, she thought, it’s only Joong Ki anyway.

It was one second that changed his entire perspective of her.

The wind blew quite hard, making her cheered with the gush of coolness.

“Isn’t it nice? I could fall asleep with this wind” she said.

But Joong Ki saw how her dressing gown, which was thin and loose, moved with the wind, showed a glimpse of her fair, bare shoulders. His blood rushed and everything went upside down.

“Joong Ki-yah? Gwaenchana? Your face is so red. Is it too hot for you?”

“Yes. I mean – no. I’m – I’m going home” he blurted in a jumble of strange words.

Princess Kyo frowned. “But you haven’t had your dinner! And you said you’re going to tell me the story of The Ghost of The Dark Alleys!”

“I can’t. Not today. I’m – it’s the heat. It’s too hot. I’m having a headache. I’ll go home now”

With that, he rushed and jumped out of the window, running back to his own palace.

****************************************************

Joong Ki felt ashamed of what he was thinking and feeling. One second she was his sister, the next second he wanted to pull her and kiss her. What was that?

He made up a reason that he was ill, so he didn’t have to go and study at the palace for a week.

The next weekend, his own father entered his pavilion, where he saw his son trying to shoot arrows to a circle board and kept on missing.

“I hope this is not your normal archery prowess, or I’ll be annoyed”

Joong Ki was surprised and quickly bowed. “Abeoji” he greeted.

“Why haven’t you studied at the palace this week? I won’t tolerate laziness, Son, you know that”

His father had walked to him and stood there, peering at his face.

Joong Ki said nothing.

“But I know you’re not a lazy boy. Has there been any problem?”

Joong Ki still said nothing.

“Is it the princes? Did they offend you?”

“No”

“You can be honest to your own Father, Son”

“No, it’s not them that’s troubling me”

“Really? Is it Her Majesty The Queen?”

“No. Not her either”

“Well then, why? What could be the matter?”

“.........It’s The Princess”

“What? But I thought you two are the best of friends!”

“We are”

“Then what’s wrong?”

“I.........did her wrong”

“Eh? What did you do to The Emperor’s Daughter?”

“.......Mianhada, Abeoji. I’ll accept whatever punishment you think I deserve”

“But what did you do, Son?”

“..........I..........wanted to kiss her”

“.........oh”

His father couldn’t say another word for a while, only staring at his son.

“Let’s take a walk together, Son” he finally asked after pondering for a few seconds.

Joong Ki nodded, and walked beside his father on the vast garden of their palace.

His father was not the type that shouted or hit him when he’s angry. But he always chose to take a long walk with him around the garden. He would always say not a word until he began to turn around and retrace their steps to get back. Then he would start telling him why he shouldn’t do something, and made him promised he’d change for the better.

However, that time, his father said nothing even on their way back, making him quite afraid.

How would he punish me this time?

When they returned to the yard of his pavilion, his father asked, “Shall I propose The Princess for you tomorrow?”

It was Joong Ki’s turn to be speechless.

When he could gather his wits, he asked back, “Is that even possible, Abeoji?”

“Why not? The Emperor knows you and me well. We are from a respectable family. My great grandmother was a concubine of the emperor at her time, so there is Song blood in the palace already. I am wealthy enough to pay a dowry of a Princess too, I can assure you that”

“Then.........Please do so, Father”

****************************************************

It had never occurred to The Right Minister to plan a marriage between his son and The Princess. He was a smart man, but also a very simple one. He never had any hidden agenda in his sleeves. Years before that, when he heard his friend saying that The Princess was very lonely, he offered for his wife to bring Joong Ki to the palace, since they were of the same age.

The Emperor was delighted at that time. He had always been fond of the little boy and thought it’s a grand idea to make them friends.

He had never dreamed that his son would ever fall in love with the princess.

But in the end, he was only a father, who would always try to give what his son wanted.

He visited his friend when he was still having a breakfast.

The Emperor invited him in and urged him to sit and eat something with him.

However, The Emperor looked like he was in a bad temper.

Thinking he should just try as soon as possible, The Right Minister quickly knelt on the floor after he resolved his mind.

“Good God! What is the matter? Why are you doing this?” The Emperor asked, very shocked.

“Your Majesty, please pardon me, I need to beg something out of you”

“What is it? We are old friends, come on. There’s no need for you to behave like this. Just speak like we always do”

“Your Majesty, I am humbly requesting the hand of your daughter for my son, Song Joong Ki”

“...........................what did you say?”

“Your Majesty. It would be the greatest blessing for my son and I, if you would allow The Princess to marry my son”

“My daughter? Kyo Gong Joo?”

“Ye, Your Majesty”

The Right Minister waited for his friend to be angry, to throw things at him or to shout and throw him to the jail for blasphemy.

He didn’t expect The Emperor would say his answer. Not at all.

“I agree”

The Right Minister lifted his head off the floor and muttered, “Gamsahamnida, Your Majesty!!! Manhi manhi gamsahamnida..........”

“If she ever has to marry anyone, Joong Ki is the best person for her. But let’s not announce it now. I just heard that The Right Minister’s son wants to propose for my daughter too. They are both still only fourteen years old. If The Queen knows our agreement, she would try to separate our children. Let’s keep it between us until The Princess is seventeen. Then I would make a formal announcement of who I choose for her. We could announce it and marry them right away”

“But the dowry –“

The Emperor waved his hand in a dismissing manner.

“You’ll give it when it’s time. I had a bad row with The Queen just now. I would never marry my daughter with that conceited nephew of her! And then she said, because I refuse her nephew, she’s asking for the right to choose the man for Kyo Gong Joo. Which I denied, of course. Announcing now that I want my daughter to marry Joong Ki would be disastrous. Let’s wait for three more years”

“The Queen Mother –“

“Will know this plan and will agree with me. Her granddaughter is also very important for her. She will agree that Joong Ki is the best boy for Kyo Gong Joo. We have a promise, my friend. You can inform Joong Ki that he has my word. I will never marry my daughter with anyone else but him, unless she refuses and will choose someone else. But I think she will agree in the future. He has always been very kind to her, has he not? Tell Joong Ki to be patient, to wait, and to take good care of her. Oh. And I will tell her only when she reaches seventeen. I want her to enjoy her teenage years without any burden for now.”

The Right Minister put his forehead on the floor in gratitude, happy beyond belief that his son’s happiness was secured.

*************************************************

Joong Ki was overjoyed when he heard The Emperor promised to give him The Princess’s hand in a marriage. It felt foreign to go to The Imperial Palace again and met her. She was having her lunch alone that day, for her father was still very busy in his court.

“There you are!” she exclaimed with a mix of relief and glee, “Have you been very ill?”

“I was unwell” Joong Ki answered simply, before sitting in front of her.

“Eonnie, give him a bowl of rice and a cup of water”

Once he got his bowl, she put meat and vegetables there and he began eating quietly.

“What made you so unwell, Joong Ki-yah?”

You, he answered inside.

“I don’t know. Lack of sleep or playing in the rain last week with you”

“You caught a cold? Tsk, tsk, tsk. This is the first time it’s happening. Usually we play under the rain and I was the one who got sick. Now it’s you. Maybe I’m getting stronger and you’re getting weaker”

“Maybe”

The Princess frowned, because it’s unusual that he took a jibe from her so easily.

“Are you still feeling unwell? You look sleep deprived” she said, pouring water for him.

“I was fine earlier. After I’ve come here, I feel drained”

“Omo! You can’t be sick too long! Jebal! I’ve been so bored!” she said, putting a bigger chunk of the bulgogi on his bowl.

“Don’t worry. I promise I’ll come tomorrow too. And the next, and the next. I’ll be here everyday”

The Princess sighed in relief.

“That sounds better. How was your morning lesson with my brothers earlier?”

“It was alright”

“Then why are you feeling drained?”

Because I finally realized you’re this beautiful.

“It’s very hot outside”

“That’s why you should take the palanquin and don’t ride your horse when you’re unwell” she lectured. “Now, Father said I don’t have to come to his palace until dinner. What shall we do till then?”

“Let’s just walk around the palace”

“Ahrasseo!” she agreed cheerfully. “But you must say annyeong to Dubu and Beokshiri first! They both miss you very much!”

Dubu was her dog, and Beokshiri was her cat. Both were her birthday presents from her grandmother and father and were close to Joong Ki too.

Did you miss me too?

He just nodded as an answer.

“What did you do for the past week, really? You can’t be only lying in bed, right?”

“Tsk. Gongjoonim. Her Majesty said you shouldn’t talk while you eat”

“Don’t bring up The Queen. I’m so starving today because she just gave me a very exhausting lesson! She finally decided it’s time for me to learn Bakjeopmu (Fluttering Butterfly Dance). It’s so tiring! I also had a fight with her before I finally agreed learning it”

“Wae? Because Bakjeopmu is hard?”

“Ani. Because I want to learn Buchaechum (fan dance). She had promised last year that I could learn it this year, but she denied it again, can you believe it?”

“Because you can’t learn Buchaechum without learning it with other dancers, right?”

“Ne!!! The Queen said I’m too noble to dance with other common dancers!”

“I thought the dancers that the palace often invites to the parties are quite well-mannered?”

“Yes. They always smile at me and I often wave at them but we never really talk! And they’re all so pretty and such experts in dancing! I told The Queen that she should allow me to learn Buchaechum so I can have friends, but she said if I become friends with gisaengdeul like them, I might get tainted! Isn’t it ridiculous? If they sleep with men, would that make me the same? Of course not, right? And dancing with them won’t make me do the same too, aigoo, aigoo! I was so angry I glared at her. And then she shouted at me for a long time”

“..........I can understand what Her Majesty is worried about”

“Yah! Don’t you dare side with her!”

“Aniya. But she’s right. Some of the dancers sleep with rich men. The ones who are called to dance here are the expensive ones”

“How do you know???” she asked in shock, “You’re not doing what my brothers are doing, right?”

“Micheosso? Of course not. But well.......those dancers are—“

“Are what?” she asked, leaning closer to him.

“Are.......used. By your.....”

“Brothers?”

Joong Ki nodded.

“I knew it!”

“Well. We know how your brothers are”

“If our parents know.......”

“I think they already know, but they are the princes, and one of your brother is the crown prince too. Who would dare to stop them?”

“Father would”

“His Majesty might have tried to tell his sons to behave, but he wouldn’t be able to stop them going outside and play at that dancer’s brothels.....”

“Have you tried to tell them?”

“I tried. But of course they don’t listen to me. What they did was only asking me to go with them”

“Have you ever gone with them???”

“I did, twice”

“MWORAGOO???”

“Yah, why are you shouting? I only ate dinner there!”

The Princess looked at him with suspicion.

“If you don’t believe it, ask Kwang Soo!” he said, urging her to ask his footman.

She looked at Kwang Soo, the loyal footman of Joong Ki. In a way, she felt Kwang Soo was her friend too, since he was always there with them since they were five.

Kwang Soo looked back at her and quickly looked down again, as it was the polite way to behave to a royal lady.

“Aish! Kwang Soo will only defend you, no matter what. Even if you – you – with a gisaeng – he would never –“

“Even if I what?” Joong Ki challenged.

“Even if you – do that with a gisaeng”

“Do what?”

“Aish! Do that thing!”

“What thing?”

“........yah. Song Joong Ki-ssi. Don’t make me bash your head with this teapot. It’s jade and you’ll have a concussion” she threatened.

“You’re the one who started it! So annoying, heol!”

“You haven’t answered my question!”

“Which one, Gongjoonim?”

“What did you do at The Gisaeng House”

“I told you I only ate dinner! And if you don’t believe it, I said you can ask Kwang Soo”

“Hem.......” she mumbled, narrowing her eyes.

“Besides, I know I won’t ever do that if not with my future wife”

The Princess was surprised and then turned sad.

“Right. You will leave me and marry your wife one day”

I will marry you, Silly.

But he remembered what her father said. The Emperor decided not to tell her until she’s 17, because he was afraid The Queen would be against it if she knew sooner.

“You might leave me also and marry your husband one day, Gongjoonim”

“Huh? Me? No. I will stay with Father until he dies when he’s very old. And after that I’ll be a nun”

Joong Ki laughed at this.

“Why are you laughing? That wasn’t a joke!”

“Ahra. Alright. If you become a nun, I’ll be a monk”

“...........really?”

“Ne. I’ll be a nice boy for my parents forever then when they die when they’re very old, I’ll be a monk. We could pray in one temple together”

“That’s a good idea. So......you’ve never? With the gisaengdeul?”

“I’ve never done anything with any gisaengdeul or girls, and I won’t”

“Unless with your wife?”

“.......ne”

“Have your parents plan your marriage?”

“No, they haven’t”

“Maybe they will, soon. Because my parents already announced who the princes will marry”

“My parents said they will follow what I want. I can choose my own bride”

“........are you kidding me?”

“No, I’m not”

“........Father also promised me I can refuse a marriage offer if I don’t like the man”

“.......we have very kind parents, Goongjoonim, have we not?”

“Ne”

She sat silently for a while, lost in her own thoughts. She thought of the difference between Joong Ki and her brothers. How he felt more of a brother than them. And she was worried about how he might leave her to marry one day, no matter what he said. Ah, but the time for that is still long, so she decided about how she better enjoyed the day as it was.

“I’m full. Let’s have that walk?”

“Ne”

The two best friends then walked out her palace, going through all her favourite gardens. One just realized he’s in love. His heartbeat was faster than usual that day, knowing they would marry one day. She was beautiful. She’s always been beautiful, but since she’s dearer to him now, she looked blinding that day. He was happy he was brave enough to be honest to his father, thus securing her for him in the future. He was grateful that the emperor trusted him. And he promised he would always take good care of this pretty, funny and lonely princess.

The other felt a bit subdued. She was reminded that Joong Ki was a young man. And that she might not be the only girl in his life forever. He might play with a gisaeng in the future, and marry someone or two. Or three. She was sure, in her heart, she would never want to leave her father. She felt sad, a little. Yet, the day was nice and the flowers were blooming. It was a great day in spring, and the imperial garden looked like a painting.

The wind blew, making her hanbok swished and Joong Ki’s hat fell, dangling from the strings tied on his neck.

“Joong Ki-yah?”

“Ne, Gongjoonim?”

“Shall we play kites tomorrow?”

He smiled, “Sure. I’ll bring it tomorrow”

“Ah. I’m glad you’re back. It’s been so boring without you. Don’t ever leave me too long again, will you?”

“Ne. I promise I’ll always be with you” he smiled gently at her, before they walked amiably passed a stone bridge.

******************************************************

Princess Kyo woke up at dawn, and she saw Joong Ki sleeping on the floor, lying only with a blanket beneath him, five meters apart from her.

“Joong Ki-yah?”

He woke up as if she shouted at him, alert and worried.

“Gongjoonim?” he called back, sitting up.

“Joong Ki-yah, come here. Please”

Rubbing his eyes, Joong Ki walked and sat beside her mattress.

“What is it? Are you alright?”

“I had a dream”

“A nightmare?”

“No. A good one. About us. Our childhood and teenage years”

“Oh” he exclaimed, reaching for her forehead and feeling. She didn’t have a fever.

“Thank you”

“For what?”

“For always being good to me. Well, except that night. But I think I’ve made you suffered long enough too, after that”

“I deserve it”

Her hand found his in the dimly-lit room, and she grasped it.

“I have to go soon, I have to be home for breakfast with my parents, then I will return to your Father and guard him. Sergeant Seo will greet you and guard you after breakfast”

“Ne. But can you stay until I sleep again. Eonnie won’t wake me up for an hour more”

“Of course”, he said, pulling her blanket to cover her to the chin with one hand.

“Thank you for coming back safely. From your two years in the borders”

“I have to be safe, or else I won’t be able to see you again”

She smiled, and fell back to sleep.

Joong Ki didn’t let go of her small hand. He was very relieved that she had forgiven him. His life finally felt right again after so long.

*****************************************************

Author’s Note:

I hope you like the view of their childhood and teenage days. They are sweet, are they not?

^________^

By now, you might have already repeated Song2 couple clips from Baeksang Arts Awards around 100 times. That was the most successful day of my shipping life. They are the first couple that I ship who shows their special relationship so blatantly.

I’m so happy. I’m very grateful too for everyone who have voted for them and made them had the chance to grace the award together.

His answers that were related to her on his fanmeeting yesterday was love too. It seems like she’s always in his mind.

I hope the strong rumour that she will be attending his next fanmeeting in Chengdu is right.

Thank you for waiting and reading this fic. Also for subscribing and commenting.

Until next time!