I've Forgotten You

In The Name of The Emperor

PS: to avoid confusion, I inform that this chapter happened three months before the foreword chapter

*********************************************************************************

 

“You do remember the dinner with Song family tonight, right?” her father The Emperor asked.

She was writing her usual calligraphy on thick paper with a big brush and ink, and she didn’t even blink nor her hand shook as she answered, “Ye, I remember”

“I’m excited to see him after two years. I think he’ll be more mature”

Drawing a perfect line on her paper, Hye Kyo said, “Father, you are speaking of him warmer than you’ve ever spoken about any of your sons. It wouldn’t be wise to speak like this in public”

“And am I wrong, I ask you? My four sons are all corrupted by intrigues taught by their mothers! I’m glad I’ve always kept you close to me! If I didn’t give you to the Queen Mother since you’re very young, you’d be cunning and greedy like them too! And am I wrong in feeling affectionate towards Joong Ki? I saw him grow up with my own eyes. He’s educated by the same tutors of my sons and yet he’s smarter than all of them!”

“If I were not an emperor, I’d be ashamed to his father. How could he produce such a great first son! He’s smart and good in martial arts, while my sons are all lazy and dumb!”

“All of this admiration from you is innocent, I’m sure, Father. But all the ministers and your concubines would start to conspire that you’re planning something by inviting someone’s son to dinner the day he returned from his out of town duty”

“It’s been two years since I last saw him! I’ve missed him! He used to greet me at least once a week! How about you? Don’t you miss him? You two used to be so close, weren’t you?”

Making the last few brushes in her calligraphy, Hye Kyo answered calmly, “It’s been years, Abeoji. I daresay I can’t even remember his face”

“..............shall I just make a nun out of you?”

“Being a nun would be nice. I’ll pray everyday for the prosperity of our nation”

“Do you really have no interest in marrying anyone?”

“Why are you suddenly changing the topic into my marriage, Father?”

“Do you know how many years I’ve rejected your suitors? We even had to create that false rumour that you were gravely ill and that you need years to recover!”

“I was grateful that you agreed to spread that rumour, and I am still grateful until now”

“............I also don’t think you’ll enjoy being someone’s wife, My Daughter”

“You understand me so well, Father”

“With your cleverness, no one from the royalty or the high nobilities could match you in Hanyang. I know all the young lords. They would all bore you. If I force you to marry any of them, I’m afraid you’ll poison your husband sooner or later”

She put down her brush and laughed. A non-reserved, free laugh that she showed only in front of few people close to her.

“Aigoo, Father! I’m sorry for being like this”

“I am serious, my daughter. You are not made to obey men, produce kids and only embroider. I’ve said this before and would say this again. Your brain and soul would make a great crown prince. But The Gods give you as my one and only daughter, and I’ve accepted that fact”

“I’m happy we have the same opinion on this, Father”

“Yes. Let’s not worry about your future today, let’s just look forward to the happy dinner we will have later tonight. Are you done with your calligraphy? Let me see it”

The emperor walked behind his daughter’s desk.

It’s a calligraphy quoted from Confucius, and her father pondered seriously on it.

“I’ve always thought it’s the more emotional quote of Confucius. It’s obviously not my favourite, but your and calligraphy are one of the best in the world”

“You are biased, Father. But I admire you for that” Hye Kyo smiled.

“What? I’m not biased. This is indeed a beautiful piece, My Daughter”

“It is nice, but pale in comparison with all the masters’ of calligraphy’s works that you collect over the years”

“Those masters are not my daughter” he said, looking around for his eunuch.

“Wait for one hour until this is dry, then frame it. If you ruin even an inch of it, you’d be beaten”

“Ye, Your Majesty” The Eunuch bowed deeply, before carrying the paper very carefully, as if the air would tear it if he’s not careful enough.

“I must continue my meeting with the ministers. You can run along and have your nap, Yeppeuni”

She chuckled at that, “I’ll take a walk around the gardens, Father, thank you”

“Don’t be lazy and show up tonight, will you? It will be embarrassing if I have to send my guards to pick you up. I’ve asked the chefs to cook your favourite food”

“...........shouldn’t it be the favourite meal of the one who just returned from duty, Father?”

“And Joong Ki’s favourite too, of course. We’ll have a merry time tonight. See you later, My Daughter!”

Hye Kyo bowed low before her father left the room, and she too, left with her own train of lady-in waiting and guards.

*****************************************************

It was indeed a merry private dinner consisted of the two fathers; the emperor and right minister Song Joong Do, his wife, and his son who had just returned from a two years military service at the borders. The Queen Mother and The Queen were also present.

Coming the last after everyone was the one and only daughter of The Emperor, Princess Hye Kyo.

“Aigoo......I am really happy to gather like this again. It’s been ages! When was the last time we have a dinner like this, my friend?” The Emperor asked to his best friend, The Right Minister.

“Before Joong Ki left for his military service, Your Majesty”

“Ah. See! It’s been two years! Ah, I’m so glad to see you again, Joong Ki”

“It’s an honour to meet you again, Your Majesty” Joong Ki smiled and bowed.

“How was your duty?”

“It was challenging, but I learned a lot”

“When I first heard about Joong Do’s decision to send Joong Ki to the west borders, I was really surprised. You just have to send your son to the most dangerous military area in the country, haven’t you, Joong Do-ssi?” The Queen Mother asked.

“Just because he is my son, it doesn’t mean I’ll pamper him, Your Grace. He must learn all that he needs to know to be a better soldier”

“And I think he did well, didn’t he? There were averagely a confrontation every three months there, and all of those were victory”

“I just had a great platoon, Your Majesty”

“And you’re smart too. You returned looking more mature, Joong Ki. And have you always been this handsome before?”

Joong Ki laughed and didn’t answer that.

Because The Emperor was very fond of his daughter and she had been so quiet, he asked her opinion, “Don’t you think Joong Ki looked very mature and wise already, My Daughter?”

Hye Kyo put down her tea cup, “Appearance is misleading, Your Majesty. One’s quality can only be proven with time”

Joong Ki finally allowed himself to look at her properly. They were sitting on the thick mat together, with desks of food in front of them. His desk and Hye Kyo’s were opposite each other and were three meters apart.

Everyone was quiet then, since they were surprised that the princess spoke something that didn’t match the atmosphere.

“The battles I’ve won in the past two years are surely too unimportant to proof my quality” Joong Ki replied with sarcasm, annoyed with how cold she appeared to be.

The princess smiled politely, though it didn’t reach her eyes.

“Those battles were a good job, really. But one shouldn’t feel boastful when one is still so young and only have a little experience”

“Certainly not, Gongjoonim. I still have to learn a lot more to have the right to feel boastful”

“I am sorry for her coldness, Joong Ki-yah” The Emperor added, “It’s been a long time since you've met. I’m sure you’re grateful that he has returned, right, My Daughter?”

“Oh yes, of course. I am glad you’ve returned safely, Young Master Song”

Even from three meters apart, she could see the flash of pain in his eyes as she called him so formally.

“Thank you for sparing me that little bit of attention, Gongjoonim” he replied, bowing to her.

“Ah, now I remember” The Emperor exclaimed. “I have a welcome gift for you, Joong Ki-yah” he signalled his eunuch and everyone turned to see it.

The Eunuch presented a framed calligraphy to Song Joong Ki.

“A thousand thanks to you, Your Majesty I really don’t deserve this”

“My daughter made it and –“

“Your Majesty, I made it for you, not for anyone else!!!”

Joong Ki looked up to her and reread the Confucius quote she had written.

If you look into your heart and you find nothing wrong, what is there to be worried about? What is there to fear?

The Emperor waved a hand at her, “I have a lot of your calligraphies and I hang it all in my study. I can give one to a good person if I want to. Don’t be angry. He did have a hard two years”

Hye Kyo was really shocked.

“Thank you, Gongjoonim, I’ll treasure this my whole life. I’ll see it everyday and take the words to heart”

“Your gratefulness is exaggerated” she replied dryly, hiding her emotion behind her calm facade.

“I’m not. I am truly honoured to own a piece of your.......work”

The nobilities spoke in the highest form of language and everyone in the room recognized the double flirtatious meaning behind his words.

And the princess blushed with fury.

She only bowed and hoped the issue would pass as soon as possible.

****************************************************

Once the dinner was over, The Emperor and The Right Minister chatted and drank together.

Hye Kyo went to the nearby pond near her father’s private palace, fuming and needing the fresh air to clear her mind.

“I knew you’d be here”

She turned angrily at him.

“I never gave you permission to follow me around!”

“Old habits die hard” Joong Ki smiled.

She turned and ignored him.

Joong Ki walked closer to her, much closer than was proper. Hye Kyo was sure there were ears and eyes everywhere. People would gossip about this encounter tomorrow during breakfast. All the noble ladies would talk about how "The Princess and The Son of The Right Minister had an intimate chat last night."

“Move away, Young Master Song, and remember your manners”

“It’s been two years, Goongjoonim. Shouldn’t you tell me you’re happy to see me again?”

“I didn’t even remember your face anymore”

“..........I see that you haven’t forgiven me”

The Princess glared at him and walked away.

He followed her and walked beside her, as the fish in the pond made a splash and the full moon glowed above them.

“I’ve missed you” he said, soft enough to let no one heard it but her, “I’ve thought of you everyday for two years”

“Well, I didn’t”

“I’m just going to tell myself you’re still angry, and that you’re lying”

“Were the two years so hard, Young Master Song? So hard it turns you to be a delusional person?”

“I know you very well, Gongjoonim, that’s why”

She ignored him and began walking to the direction of her own palace.

“I heard The Emperor has turned down another marriage offer for you”

“I don’t see why you have to comment on that”

“I comment on this because I’m grateful”

“Why would you be grateful? What has it got to do with you?”

“Because the only one that can marry you is me, Gongjoonim”

Her eyes went wide with surprise, and with a disgusted flick of her gown she walked faster away.

“What can I do to make you forgive me? What should I do so we could go back to the way we were?”

“Turn back the time and prevent that disgusting night from happening. But I know you can’t, so you better just stay away from me!”

She walked away for real and he didn’t chase her this time.

************************************************

Author's Note: 

I hope you like my Joseon Song2 fic so far. 

Thank you for reading ^_____________^