Chapter 6

Lay Me Down
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“RYEOWOOK WATCH OUT!”

Automatically, I grasp Ryeowook by his waist and pull him aside, not wanting him to get hurt. The hooded figure pushes past us and whooshes out of the room, running at top speed. I look up to Ryeowook who is clutching my shirt tightly.

“Are you okay?” I ask.

Ryeowook quickly nods, looking pale. He looks over at Yoora and immediately lets go of me. “Yoora!”

I glance at Yoora. The poor little girl is crying, but at least she is okay and then I order Ryeowook to stay in the hospital room and tell him not to leave until I return. I run out then, running at top speed into the hospital hallway. The nurses all point at the exit staircase, all of them blurting out that the hooded person had ran off into that direction. I dash off into the direction pointed at me and exit the hospital only to find that the mysterious person has disappeared.

“!” I curse.

I then pulled out my communicator and contact the station, informing them of what had just happened. Once done, I settled back into the hospital and run up to Yoora’s hospital room, wanting to make sure that both Ryeowook and Yoora are alright. When I burst through the room however, Ryeowook throws himself at me. He hugs me tight, his hands wrapping themselves around my neck as he buries his head into my chest.

“Oh Kyuhyun!” Ryeowook gaps. “You’re okay!”

I nod, smiling to myself that Ryeowook is actually hugging me. This cold person is actually hugging me and all I can feel from Ryeowook is his warmth and concern. It reminds me of the past and automatically, I hold him closer, not wanting to ever let him go. I did that mistake once. I let go of him once and I’m never letting go again.

“I’m okay, Wookie.” I tell him soothingly. “I’m okay.”

It feels like forever before Ryeowook eventually pulls away and I realise that the cold-face mask he normally has on is gone. He genuinely looks worried as his eyes travels over my body and then he releases a sigh. My communicator suddenly goes off and I look up at Ryeowook.

“I have to go to the station.” I tell Ryeowook. “An officer will be here on patrol and he’s a close friend of mine. I’ll make sure that he’ll take good care of you and Yoora.”

“Why… Why do you have to go?” Ryeowook asks, his voice slightly panicking.

“They want me there.” I explain to Ryeowook, “I’ve to explain what happened but don’t worry, I’ll come back with more information of the attacker alright?”

Ryeowook nods and then before I leave, I walk over to Yoora who is on her bed. She’s quietly watching the both of us. She looks afraid and so I her hair and smile warmly down at her.

“Hey Yoora, how are you feeling?”

The little girl sniffs, “I’m… I’m scared.”

“Don’t be alright?” I assure her, her hair. “Remember? I work with the police so I’ll protect you.”

The girl’s eyes shine bright as she finally drops her worried expression. She then lifts her arm and holds out her pinky, “Do you promise?”

I wink and then entwine my little finger with hers. “I promise, sweetheart. I’ll always protect you and your appa.”

***

A few days later, I’m back at the hospital.

I knock on the hospital door and then push it open. My heart carelessly skips a beat at the sight of my ex-boyfriend. He’s feeding some kind of porridge to his daughter. My lips curve into a sappy smile but then it’s immediately wiped off when I realise that we’re not the only ones in the room. Another handsome man is sitting next to Yoora with a book in her hand. Donghae raises his hand in greeting to me. He’s in a tshirt and a ripped jeans and looks healthy now that he’s already discharged from the hospital.

“Hey Kyuhyun.” Donghae says.

“Ajushi!” The little girls calls from her hospital bed.

I wave at her. “Hi Yoora.”

“Did you catch the bad guy?” Yoora eagerly asks, “Did you put him in jail??”

I chuckle, “Not yet, but we’re close.”

Both Ryeowook and Donghae straighten their posture as they snap their heads to me.

“You found the bastard?” Donghae asks quietly.

Yoora giggles and then tugs on Donghae’s sleeves. “What is bastard, daddy?”

Ryeowook scowls at Donghae, narrowing his eyes. Donghae nervously laughs and responds, “Shhh, baby. You can’t say that out loud. It’s a word only adults can use.”

Yoora looks confused but shrugs it off.

“Before I give you some answers,” I begin, looking directly at Ryeowook. “I’m going to need some answers myself to help me connect the missing pieces of this case. You’ll have to tell me everything truthfully.”

Ryeowook bites his lips nervously and then exchanges a look with Donghae. Donghae nods his head, smiling supportively and finally Ryeowook sighs and nods. “Okay. But… Let’s… Talk outside.”

I nod and follow Ryeowook out after he promises his daughter and Donghae that he will be back soon. We step outside and Ryeowook continues walking and then heads to the elevator. When I look at him in question, he only tells me to follow him. And so I do as he says. We head down and into the small park behind the hospital. Ryeowook walks towards a bench and I follow after him, taking a seat next to him.

Ryeowook looks different than before. His strong and cold demeanour is long gone. He doesn’t look as confident as he used to be. Looking closely, Ryeowook looks tired and his eyes…. His eyes looks so troubled with so many different overwhelming emotions in them.

I take a deep breath as I call out, “Ryeowook.”

“I’m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter