the project.

The bet. {ShortFic}

JaeHye waited patently in her seat as the homeroom teacher called roll. The man droned each name until he came to a name he had to repeat again. "Lee DongHae?" The man tapped his foot. "FOR GOD"S SAKE! LEE DONGHAE!!"

"No time like the present~" a boy sang moonwalking into the room."Mr. Lee! Take your seat already!"

The boy danced his way past JaeHye catching her attention as he jived to the seat next to her. She cocked her head to the side intrigued by the boy. He flaunted his talent and she didn't think it would be necessary to mask her stare.

"I'm DongHae," he smiled winking at her.

She let out a puff of air sighing heavily. "I guess you are."

The boy jumped out of his seat. "YOU GUESS?!?"

"Lee DongHae, sit DOWN!"

He nodded obediently and pressed his to the chair. "What do you mean you guess?" he whispered to the girl.

She pursed her lips together flaring them open and closed like a fish. "The teacher called your name and you answered, so I uses that's you."

He laughed at her and became fixated on her expression. "Do you always make faces?"

She looked at the boy wide-eyed still imitating a fish. "Ask Oppa."

"Oppa?"

She pressed her chin to the desktop and covered her eyes with her hands. She had almost lost the bet. "Oppa? I said Appa…heh heh," she tried to play it off but he just looked at her. "I don't know if I make these faces all the time, that's why you should ask Appa."

He bore his eyes into her until it registered that she mean to ask her dad because he would know. "Gotcha!"

She smiled wildly at the boy and he ducked his head down in embarrassment. No girl had ever been so forward with him. Usually girls would write him letters and hide them in his shoe locker or run up to him only to flee and hide.

"DongHae-shi?" she asked poking his shoulder. "Homeroom is over."

He jumped and looked about the room.

"First period starts soon. We should leave," she said pointing out the door.

He froze. We had a nice ring to it.

"Lets go!" he chirped jumping half a meter into the air and clicking his heels together.

 

--

 

"Pst…SooMi, what's the assignment again?" JaeHye asked the girl as they took their spots in the studio room.

"Which one?"

JaeHye bit her lip. "Any of them. I've barely got one painting done."

"Ah~ don't worry ab-" the girl stopped mid way through her sentence becoming distracted by the figure in the doorway.

"Huh?" JaeHye asked waving a hand in the other girl's face.

"Sh-SiWon Oppa."

Jae spun in her seat catching the boy's eyes. He tilted his head to the side motioning for her to meet him in the hall way, but when she didn't budge he began using his hand.

"What is with the people in this school?" JaeHye muttered to herself as she removed her bag from her lap and started walking towards the boy.

"You're name is…" he began and she looked confused scrunching up her nose.

"Kim JaeHye, why? Who are you?"

He chuckled and bowled slightly. "Choi SiWon, I've noticed you a around since yesterday."

She smiled softly. Oppa said to be cautious of him. "Jinjja? because I just started yesterday and you hassled me about starting mid term."

His mouth curled into a smirk that he had assumed to be charming. "I was just curious, sorry if I was too forward."

She cocked her head to the side with a smile that would capture anyone. "Well, let's just keep it forward then…what do you really want?"

His mouth dropped and he took a moment regain his composure. "Actually I…"

The bell rang and she looked back to the studio room. "Gotta go," she smiled scrunching her face as she did so.

He was left standing in the middle of the hall stunned and defeated.

"What was that about?" SooMi asked as JaeHye took her seat.

"I don't know, nor do I care." She muttered the last part under her breath.

"SiWon…you know he's our class president, right?"

Jae Hye blinked. "Why does that matter?"

"He may be trying to…ya' know."

She turned to the girl and made a face. "You need to stop that."

SooMi ran a hand through her hair. "Just be careful of that guy. He's so perfect his imperfections fit him perfectly."

"No one is perfect."

SomoMi sighed and rolled her vine car coal between her fingers. "Just don't get drawn in." She quickly looked up. "No pun intended."

JaeHye laughed softly. "Let's see who get's drawn in first. I sense something more like a game, but we'll see."

 

--

 

"What on Earth are you doing?"

JaeHye curled her legs to her chest placing her chin between her knees. "I'm checking out the view."

"It seems more like you're following me."

"If I were doing that, don't you think I'd be more sneaky about it, or at least face you instead of over looking the garden?"

"You could just be really smart," he teased.

"Chasing guys is too much trouble. I'd rather just enjoy myself." She raised an eyebrow. "No offense or anything, but I'm sure you could easily have any girl."

He chuckled, "No need for the flattery. Like you, I'm not interested."

"I'm glad we have this understanding," she smiled back at him causing his heart to skip a beat. He wanted so badly not to be in by her smile, but it was beautiful and warm. He noticed something else too. Something in her eyes he almost didn't catch. Sadness.

 

--

 

"That's it, I'm out," MinHo spat as he slapped his hand on the table where his friends were sitting.

"What do you mean out?" SiWon asked leaning back in his seat.

"I don't want any part of this."

"But things are just heating up. I'm sure she's taken notice in the four of us," DongHae smiled rubbing his hands together.

"It's not fair to her," MinHo said between clenched teeth.

"We never said it would be fair," SiWon chuckled.

At this JongHyun stood up and glared at him.

"What's your problem?"

"I'm out too."

"The King of bets is never out," DongHae laughed.

"I can't take part in this one," he replied cooly so as not to snap.

"But-"

"OUT!" the short boy shouted and left the three of them stunned.

 

--

 

"Everyone listen up!" the teacher yelled during her final period. "I will be setting you all up into groups of two and will expect you to come up with a project outline to turn in tomorrow. I don't care what your project is, powerpoint, essay…as long as it's a worthy project and has to do with our subject."

JongHyun looked at the back of his best friend's back and then to the girl beside him, SooMi. Once again JaeHye sat in his seat forcing him next to the small girl. He crossed his fingers as the teacher began pairing up students.

"I want YuNa with JungMin, SoYun with TaeYon. MinHo with…" the teacher tapped her pen to her chin and then glanced around the room.

"Please say JongHyun," he muttered to himself. Sadly the boy was not never smart and needed MinHo's help to pass the class.

"SooMi."

The girl looked up in amazement and then caught Jonghyun's eyes. He was utterly devastated.

"JaeHye with JongHyun…" the teacher droned on and the boy dropped his head to the desk.

"No," he moaned to himself. "This cannot end well."

"Oppa~" a perky voice cheered. "Let's do our best, okay?"

He glared up at the girl who wore a devilish smile. She would do everything within her power to make him work on this assignment, and since the bet they made the day before, she would make the next few days hell.

Class continued with deep sighs as the partners worked on drafting their outlines.

"Everyone remember, these are due at the beginning of class tomorrow," the teacher stressed.

JongHyun followed behind his friend to the door only to be called out once more.

"JaeHye too."

The girl looked around and noticed that SooMi was waiting for her by the door.

"Is it true that you two are related?" the teacher asked once the two students stepped up to her podium.

They nodded. "Cousins."

The teacher shook her head. "You two can't be partners, it isn't fair."

"What do you mean?" JaeHye asked tilting her head.

"It's not that I can honestly say you two will do it, but another student may argue that since you are related, one may be the crutch for the other." She turned her attention to JongHyun who looked away. "I can't let the two of you be partners."

"But what about the assignment?" JaeHye asked becoming desperate, she was already running behind on so many other projects.

"We'll have to switch the both of you out with another group. MinHo! SooMi!"

The two student obediently walked up to the teacher.

"I need you two to split up and take a partner from this group."

JongHyun clenched a fist bringing it back to his side. He would have it his way after alll.

"JongHyun with SooMi, MinHo with JaeHye."

Jonghyun looked at the woman as if he had been cheated twice in one day.

"Don't worry Jjong," MinHo said slapping his shoulder. "You can do this without me."

JongHyun turned to his new partner and swallowed. What was going to happen to him?

 

--

 

"So you two are cousins?" MinHo asked walking alongside JaeHye.

"Not my choice," she muttered.

"So that's why you don't get along," he hummed.

She rocked herself side to side. "Actually, I would consider him my best friend, but lately I've been a little mad at him."

"Why are you mad at him?" MinHo chuckled. "Jjong would NEVER do anything to upset someone."

"Very funny," she laughed at his sarcastic comment. "He made a bet with me that made me mad, but I guess it doesn't matter anymore."

Minho stopped in the middle of the sidewalk. "What kind of bet?"

She shrugged. "He bet that I couldn't pretend to not know him. It really made me angry."

He smiled in relief. "He did it to protect you."

"What do you mean?"

"At our school there are crazy fangirls. He's one of the most wanted guys amongst the senior class."

She made a face. "My dorky Oppa?"

He nodded. "Just like DongHae and SiWon."

"And you."

He pretended to cough to cover up her words. "So what should we do for the project?"

She tightened her lips stuffing her fists into her pockets. "I dunno."

"Maybe we should get some tea or something and talk it over."

"That sounds good."

 

--

 

"So why are you in the F4," JaeHye said tracing the rim of her cup.

"Don't call us that."

"But that's basically what you are. How did the four most handsome boys become such a group of friends?"

He sighed, "I don't know how it happened. How did the most gorgeous transfer student become the "King of Bets"'s cousin?"

She blushed like crazy and pushed her tea away. "Don't say stuff like that."

"Well it's no different than you saying I'm apart to the F4. But everything aside, why did you transfer?"

She blew her cheeks up with air thinking it over. "Well I really like painting and…"

He tilted his head. "And…? there is no way that's the only reason. SAA is a great Art school, but I think that you have other reasons." She blinked questioningly. "I can kind of read it all over your face, but it's written in code."

dropped open and she shut it slowly. Not even her own Oppa had noticed.

"What is it?"

She bit her lips together. "I don't have many friends at my old school."

"So you thought you would transfer?"

His eyes bore into hers and she felt tears start to swell. "Jonghyun is my only friend," she muttered before digging her face into her hands.

"What?!" he gasped and reached across the table. "That's not true."

She looked up at him wiping the tears she was unable to suppress. "No one likes the weird quiet girl with the strange attitude."

"That's not-"

"Look at me," she demanded. "Tell me that I'm not strange. Tell me that I'm normal. People look at me and expect me to be this cute girl with a cute personality. I'm not what they expect, and they drop me. JongHyun can't because he's family." She looked at her hands satined with ink and pigment. "He has no choice. I've forced my friendship onto him."

Minho grabbed her hands and held them closer to him. "JaeHye, you don't have to be cute to deserve friendship. JongHyun loves you, trust me. He is protecting you from something that you can't handle."

Her eyes remained fixated on his grip. "I didn't realize he was like this, what does this say about our friendship? It's like he's another person."

"We F4 boys aren't the nicest. He's protecting you from us."

She dropped her chin to the counter. "The three of you aren't so bad."

His fingers tightened around hers. "Trust me. If I had a cousin as beautiful as you, I wouldn't let her within ten kilometers of the other boys. And your personality isn't bad, to someone like me…it's hypnotizing."

Her eyes looked up at him causing him to turn away.

"Maybe we should work on that project."

She nodded in agreement.

"Excuse me, but we close in five minutes," an employee said to the couple. "We normally wouldn't say anything, but you've been here for some time."

______________________________________________________

A/N: I'm so sorry for the late update D:

*bows deeply*

I've been busy. (and watching "Devil Beside You" :3 )

I haven't forgotten about this. I'm working on it when I'm not sick! PROMISE!

There will be about two or three more chapters... I think. (hasn't writen them yet.)

btw, SHINee's new album is AMAZING! and very dorky~ I love em.