the new girl.

The bet. {ShortFic}

"Guys…guys-GUYS!" DongHae yelled sprinting across the courtyard.

"What is it?" the eldest of the four boys asked before taking a sip of his orange juice. "And calm down, you look like you forgot your age."

"He isn't human," JongHyun snickered to his friend.

"Any~WAYS," DongHae sang trying to gain back their attention. "There's this new girl in my homeroom!"

SiWon coughed choking on his juice. "But the term started last month."

DongHae giggled with delight causing the other two boys to look at him with concerned expressions. "Exactly! And she's in the Visual Arts department."

"How the heck did she get stuck with you? Your home room is mostly dance students," SiWon reasoned.

The boy shrugged. "Guess you'll need to ask her. I only have that one class with her."

The three boys exchanged looks and without another word they dispersed to their classes.
 

--


Lunch was not on JaeHye's list of priorities. A new school brought a new future and to her that was everything, she had needed to get away and the fact that her Oppa told her to forget about him weighed heavily on her. She wandered around the grounds while her fellow students ate their boxed lunches. It seemed to be the same as life at her old school, but these students were different…more excepting.

Lost in her own thoughts she had forgotten to look at her surroundings and fell onto the grass, face first.

"You tripped," a voice said calmly as she pressed her elbows into the moist ground.

"I can see that," she sneered turning onto her side.

"Are you going to get up?"

She looked at the sky whilst her back faced the stranger. "Maybe in a minute."

"You're a bit odd."

This was nothing unusual for her to hear.

"Why's that?" she breathed.

"Well first off, you're laying on the grass."

"You're sitting down on the ground extending your feet. What is your point?"

The boy chuckled at her. She was weird, but in a good way.

"Are you new?"

"How did you..?"

"You voice, it doesn't seem familiar," he spoke in an almost dreamy tone.

"You remember people's voices?" she asked turning to face him.

Her eyes met his and she blushed a bright red realizing how childish she was being.

"You're very inquisitive too. Also, unlike most girls here you didn't say "Oppa, I'm sorry for dirtying your pants!""

She looked away from his gaze and back to the school. "When I fell, you weren't exactly concerned either."

"You're a lot stranger than I thought," he laughed folding his legs closer.

She could barely stand for those eyes to look at her for so long. "Aish! What are you doing on the ground?"

"Escaping, what are you doing on the ground?"

"I fell."

He smiled, "I know that, but why are you still there?"

She scratched her head. "I, uh…not sure. Wait, why are you escaping?"

"I'm hiding from my so called friends and their crazy fan club."

"There's a fan club?"

He shook his head with a smile. "Man, you sure do ask a LOT of questions. Here at this school we have something like the F4, but we don't inflict physical harm on others…mostly each other."

Her laughter came to a sudden stop as she realized his words. "WE?"

He closed his book and looked at his watch. "Yeah, my friends and I have been playing bets since we were in grade school. It's juvenile, but it passes the time fairly quickly."

His stare fell on her as the wheels turned in her head.

"I'm Choi MinHo by the way. Welcome to Seoul Art's Academy."

"Sung JaeHye," she said softly. And I bet you know my Oppa.



--

 

JaeHye walked down the hallways glancing at the lockers in search of hers. Of course it was at the end of the hall, which was no big deal for the girl. Being out of the way was something she was used to and made things easier.

"Omo, just look at them."

A crowd of girls started to gather on either side of the hall.

"So handsome," a girl gushed causing JaeHye to take a look.

There, in the middle of the parted girls were three boys and her Oppa.

"So this is what you didn't want me to know about…" she muttered to herself.

They wandered into the men's room and the hallway erupted into moans as the girls left.

"Is that the new girl?" DongHae asked peeking around the door.

"I wouldn't know, I haven't seem her yet," SiWon snapped.

"You mean JaeHye?"

The three of them looked to MinHo in awe.

"You know her name?" Donghae gasped.

JongHyun smacked him upside the head making him sigh in discontent. "You have homeroom with her, don't you know her name?"

"Ow Jjongie~, that hurt," he whined before sneaking another look at the girl. "That's her alright."

"Why are we hiding in a restroom?" JongHyun asked taking a look around. "If you want to talk to her you should walk the four meters and do so."

"I just want to look…" DongHae murmured and shut the door. "Anyone else wanna see?"

SiWon pushed him aside and to the wall. "I want to see the girl that was able to start mid term."

They all looked at him questioningly. Was that really all he cared about?…the logistics of it all?

"Wha-at? This school is difficult to get into as it is and she just appears out of nowhere. It doesn't seem fair to other students that she has this privilege when others don't. Have you seen the waiting list? It's crazy."

"Maybe she's just really good at what she does," MinHo offered as the boy cracked the door. "You said she was a painter?" he asked DongHae who smiled.

"Yeah. Maybe she applied late but was so good that they excepted her anyways."

'Or she was sick,' one of the boys thought to himself.

The three of them nodded and then turned their attention to SiWon. "Hyung, what's the matter?"

He closed the door slowly and dramatically.

"What is it?" DongHae stressed poking the boy.

"Is she in a relationship?"

The three boys looked at each other and then to him. "She just started here. How should we know?" MinHo sighed pointing out the obvious.

"Yeah," JongHyun laughed uneasily. "How should we know?"

"Well someone should find out. Maybe I should ask her on a date…"

The three boys moaned shaking their head at him. "Not this again."

"What's the matter?"

"Hyung, I love you like my actual Hyung," DongHae began. "But you have got to give it a rest. No girl will ever be as perfect as you want her to be. Just face the music."

"I don't think that's fair," the older boy said defending himself.

"Hyung, what you do to these girls isn't fair in itself. You make them have all of these expectations and then you drop them," JongHyun explains. "Do you remember SooMi?"

"I never dated a SooMi."

"That's because you made her think that she stood a chance by courting her…and then you realized she doesn't have as bright of a future as you had hoped and dropped her," MinHo finished.

"I'm still going to ask her out."

"Hey~ I saw her first in homeroom…I'm asking her out."

"DongHae its all about love."

"You would know all about that," MinHo sneered to SiWon.

"I call dibs!" DongHae shouted.

"She's a person, you can't call dibs on her." JongHyun rolled his eyes at his friend.

"So you want her too?"

"I didn't-"

"Fine, lets do this." DongHae rubbed his hands together wearing a smirk. "I bet that I can get her to ask me out before the rest of you, or else you'll decide my punishment."

"Dong-"

"Fine, count me in too," SiWon chuckled slapping his hands together. "You're going to be wearing a suit and tie for two months."

DongHae squirmed and looked to the remaining boys. "It's not a matter of if you're in or not, but whether you're willing."

JongHyun cleared his throat. "I opt out."

"You can't opt out. First off, you're the king of bets. Secondly you made the rule that opting out would cause immediate punishment," SiWon said with a crooked smile.

JongHyun's slumped against the wall. "I'm not interested."

"Too bad, you know how these things work," DongHae grinned.

"Count me out too. We've never actually bet on someone else before," Minho explained. "I don't think it's fair."

"Too~late."


--

 

It was seventh period and JaeHye was more excited to leave and go home than endure the last forty-five minute of torture. She looked around the room and saw only a few familiar faces. There was that girl from her Painting & Drawing IV class and maybe two students from her home room. She turned in her seat waiting for the lecture to begin."You may want to move," the girl from her painting class warned her.

She looked to the girl. "Is there something wrong?"

"That's where the youngest F4 members sit," she hushed.

JaeHye eyed the room. "Then where do I sit?"

The girl bit her lip and shrugged. "You might get bullied by the other girls if you don't move."

Jae sighed and slumped into her seat. "I don't care. I'm not exactly here to make friends anyways."

"But start trouble?"

Before she knew it two boys were standing over her and she felt a chill breeze over her. "What is it?" she asked informally.

The shorter of the two smirked. He was so close to winning their bet he could taste it. "You're sitting in my seat."

"Really?" she shuffled her things around the desk and squirmed in her seat looking around. "Funny, I don't see a name anywhere. Maybe I'm just a little blind."

"Aish, pabo." He threw his stuff down into the seat behind her.

They would talk later.

"You got the almighty JongHyun to move seats," the taller of the two smiled sitting in the empty seat behind her. "Amazing."

"It's just a seat. No big fuss."

"Then why didn't you move?"

She didn't look at him. "I'm already here and my things are sorted."

He chuckled.

She was entertaining to say the least.

 

--

 


"Yoboseyo?"

"Just what are you trying to prove?" the voice no the other end exclaimed as JaeHye adjusted the phone to her ear.

"Nothing much Oppa, I just don't like being ignored. It's not fair," she said wrinkling her nose. "Sorry you couldn't sit with your friend."

"Don't worry about it. SooMi's pretty nice."

"Is that the girl from my painting class?"

There was a pause before he spoke. "You mean the girl who was sitting behind MinHo? Then yes, but I don't know her schedule. I'm no stalker."

JaeHye smiled. "Never said you were, jumping to conclusions now are we?"

"Shut up."

She picked up a brush and started mixing a dark grey. "Oppa what do you really need?"

"I just wanted to make sure that you were doing okay. No one has bugged you or anything…have they?"

She dipped her brush into a thinner and then added to the canvas. "Not particularly. There was a boy that came up to me during sixth period. He asked me how I got into the school and I had to explain to him that I was sick for the first month. I also told him I transferred from North High. I think he was a student or maybe a student-teacher."

The boy on the other line groaned. "SiWon. Ignore him."

She chuckled. "Why's that?"

She took a piece of charcoal and smeared it beneath the paint.

"Just, he's no good."

"Really…"

"What are you doing?"

She blew the dust from her canvas and smiled. "I was gone for a month, remember. I have assignments I missed."

"And your room?"

"What about it?"

He sighed, "Its a war-zone. I practically broke my neck trying to wake you up this morning. Auntie won't even walk into your room."

"Umma, thank's for the concern…I'll clean my room when I get around to it."

"What ever happened to that book on organization I got you for Christmas?"

She looked around the room and picked up a new brush. "it's under my bed…I think."

"You lost it?!"

"Maybe. I doubt it though. It's somewhere around here."

"Only my cousin would do such a thing."

She smiled. "Oppa, I'm going to win this bet. And when I do you have to do what I tell you."

"You're on, but get some sleep. You just started feeling better."

She gave him a reassuring laugh and told him goodnight ending the call.

It was then when everything was silent that she looked around the floor turning in her stool. "To answer your question earlier," she bagan to herself picking up her brush and working the canvas. "I switched schools thinking that I would make more friends, and at least be close to my only."

The room was empty except for mess and the girl sitting on a stool bursh at hand painting a grey picture as she hummed to herself.

A void in her life was empty, and it woud take more than her Oppa to fill it.