chapter 4

IM BACK!

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

DUN DUN DUN

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

Si-Jin stayed over at Mo-yeon. But strangely enough, he was in his car the entire night. The soldier had countless thoughts running in his head that kept him awake in the night. Thoughts about his life and everything that happened to him. But a certain beauty lingered the most in his head. Every time he closed his eyes, he sees her. Her perfect skin and beautiful face. Every single time he sees her in his head, his imagination ran wild at the thought of their future together.  

He knows that Mo-yeon will be comfortable with him continuing his job in the army. Hell, it would worry her to death, but she knows that this was what he was good at and he loved doing it. She understands his situation.  

At the same time, living as a Special Op requires undetermined work time. He could be having a regular day at home with his dad, talking over miso soup and then having to fly to Hungary only a few minutes later. And the risks of his job were unavoidable. Death was the only certain factor in all situations.

Knock… Knock…

His thoughts were interrupted when he heard knocking from the window of his car. Mo-yeon was on the opposite end with a bright smile on her face, motioning for him to get out of the car.

“Had a nice sleep?” asked Mo-yeon smirking widely at her boyfriend.

Si-Jin huffed and placed his hands loosely on his lips, “Why are you so happy? Did you sleep well?”

“No I didn’t sleep a wink last night.”

“What?”

“I kept thinking about stuff.”

“Oh,” surprised by Mo-yeon’s confession.

“Me too.”

Si-Jin stood and stared at Mo-yeon under the clear morning light. Sometimes he just can’t but be mesmerized by her beauty. She easily captures his entire focus in any random moment. And he’s glad.

“You’re starring,” said Mo-yeon, poking his chest.

“You’re pretty.”

“You say that every day.”

Si-Jin smiled, “And I’ll keep on saying it until the day you’re not pretty anymore.”

Mo-yeon huffed, “So when I’m an old lady, you’re not going to call me pretty then. Is that it? What type of a man are you.”

Si-Jin grinned, “I don’t think it’s possible for you not to be beautiful no matter what age you are. You’re like a beautiful Sakura tree, even as it ages, it’s beautiful no matter what.”

The doctor blushed.

“Let’s eat breakfast.”

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

“I didn’t know you can cook?” said Si-Jin taking a fork of his pancake.

“It’s instant,” replied Mo-yeon coldly, giving him a light nudge.

“Here I thought you can cook,” muttered Si-Jin. “All that time studying in school, didn’t you learn how to cook?”

Mo-yeon dropped her fork and glared at her boyfriend.

“Shut up and eat.”

Si-Jin huffed. The butterflies inside him were on overdrive. This is the life he could see for himself. Waking up to the beauty and having breakfast together and talking about mundane stuff. He wants this amazing life. A peaceful life. Maybe a couple of kids running around the house too… and a dog.

Suddenly Si-Jin’s phone rang.

“Oh. Excuse me.”

Mo-yeon looked curiously at Si-Jin.

“Salute. Yes sir. Yes…”

Mo-yeon’s phone suddenly rang as well.

“Oh hello mister chairman. Right now? Serious. Oh my. Alright I’ll be there immediately-“

“-Salute.”

The couple hung up their phones in unison. Awkward silence fell upon them.

“Look at us, being busy like this,” said Si-Jin, cracking a bright smile.

“I have a VVIP coming into the hospital in a few hours-“

“Oh. I’ve being summoned because I’m part of the security detail for a VVIP too.”

A wide smirk appeared in their faces.

“See you in the hospital.”

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

Si-Jin listened hard on the person in charge explaining the security detail of transporting the Ayatollah of Iran to the hospital. Si-Jin would be in the car in front of the Ayatollah’s car and was in charge with getting the VVIP when he’s inside the hospital to the surgery room. Si-Jin nodded as he listened on the captain explaining the numerous details about the mission.

If anything wrong happens it could lead to severe ties between the two nations.

Once the meeting is over, he went to the artillery room and made sure every single gun and instrument was functioning properly. Carefully picking apart everything and checking for any bugs in the guns.

“Lets make this quick,” the captain said.

“Yes sir!”

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

Doctor Kang Mo-yeon stood in her surgery gown waiting for the VVIP to arrive. She always hated being in charge of those snobbish VIPs. Their constant secrets and non-disclosure history makes it almost impossible to know what their real medical ailments were. She rechecked the chart. A couple of black markers here and there, but the ministry of foreign affairs stated that he’s going in for a kidney surgery.

She’s done countless kidney surgeries before.

And her percentage of success was legendary.

“The VVIP will arrive in only a few more minutes. Feeling a little bit nervous,” said the nurse.

“Don’t be. See them as regular patients. They bleed like any of us do. We just have to do our best and give everything we got to save him.”

“Yes doctor! You’re so cool doctor Kang.”

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

Si-Jin was keeping his eyes focused on the road. Everything was normal en route to the hospital, albeit the long line of police cars and the VVIP. His eyes wondered to everything ahead of them, from the numerous cars passing by on the opposite lane, to the bridge 5 meters ahead of them. He suddenly saw an unusual bright light flashing from the overpass they were going through. Almost like a split second. He turned around and saw the same bright light appeared, this time facing on the opposite side.

The nerves suddenly kicked in. His gut was suddenly screaming at him.

He held the microphone close to him mouth.

“Security stop the cars. Something is wrong.”

“-are we stopping? What happened.”

“-who called to stop the cars. I want someone to answer me.”

“-Captain Yoo you better have a good reason why.”

Si-Jin could feel everything drowning out.

“Driver, turn the car around… code Black,” said Si-Jin calmly. The driver nodded nervously as he starred at the top mirror.

Si-Jin nodded and the car began to reverse close to the VVIP’s car behind them.

“-Captain Yoo. What are you doing! You better give a good explanation or else I will personally kill you myself for ruining this operation-“

BOOM!

A giant explosion exploded mere meters away from them. The car in front of them which was the closest to the mark had flipped due to the force and he could see the security team scurrying out from the upside down car. The loud bang rang in their ears, he could hardly hear anything. It was like being in a war zone again. Complete and utter silence. Not from peace. But from the loud deafening noise of guns and explosions.

Captain Yoo checked his security team making sure if everyone wasn’t hurt from the explosion.

“Protect the VVIP!”

Team Alpha quickly ran out of their vehicle and armed up their guns. They secured around the VVIP car. Eyes scanning at every detail surrounding them. For a few seconds nothing was happening, and they knew all too well that things like this don’t just quiet down instantly.

BOOM!

Another loud explosion erupted mere meters away from the VVIP’s car. The windows shattered and the security team inside the car was knocked out. Si-Jin quickly entered the backseat and checked the pulse of the VVIP. He felt a beat.

“Someone cover me. I’m going the other route!”

Si-Jin quickly carried the unconscious driver of the VVIP car and placed him on the road. He held the wheel tightly in his hands. His mind was empty. Just the pumping of adrenaline in his blood. He knew he couldn’t go straight in the road or backwards. There could be more explosions ahead or behind. He needs to get the VVIP safe. He sees the other road beside them. The cars were going swiftly on the opposite end.

And quickly Si-Jin jammed hard to the peddle and ran on the opposite road, driving against the traffic and heading towards the hospital.

BOOM!

Another explosion broke out mere seconds near the spot he was at.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

“What! An explosion?” panicked doctor Kang. “Is everyone okay. Is anyone hurt?”

She could feel the tears suddenly fell from her eyes. She didn’t want to imagine anything right now. The thought of everything… And Si-Jin.

“Right now a security detail is heading straight towards the hospital. The police has stop all traffic and he’ll be here in matter of minutes. Once the VVIP reached here, I want everyone to be on alert for heart attacks and stress and whatever,” said the chairman.

Doctor Kang nodded.

“Let’s hope for the best.”

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

Mere minutes, the doctor and nurses were already waiting for the car to arrive at the hospital. Mo-yeon held herself nervously. The other doctors and nurses were nervous as well.

“The car will arrive in a minute. I need everyone who’s only needed here to be here and anyone whose not needed here to not be here!” barked the security man.

Mo-yeon was lucky she was on the arrival duty.

The black car was inching closer to the hospital. From afar Mo-yeon could see her boyfriend’s face from the windowless car. She felt a huge wave of relief gush inside her.

“Everyone, lets save this man’s life alright!” said Mo-yeon loudly.

“Yes doctor!”

Once the car parked, the nurses quickly rushed in to get the VVIP on the bed. Doctor Kang checked for any injuries from the explosion, checking his heartbeat and checking his eyes and ears, luckily just minor cuts from the windows shattering on him.

The security covered them from the public view. She turned her head back and saw a glimpse of Si-Jin getting out from the car.

Suddenly she heard two loud gun shots and people started screaming.

From the side of her eye, she saw Si-Jin dropping to the floor with blood slowly seeping through his jacket.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH