chapter 3

IM BACK!

DUN DUN DUN

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

“Uh why are we up so early?” whined Mo-yeon stopping for the umpteenth time that morning. “I didn’t tell the chairman I’m skipping today to go running so early in the morning.”

Si-Jin sighed as she stopped again. He looked back at his girl friend who was a few meters away with her body crouching to get a breath.

“Exercise makes strong bodies. And strong bodies make good soldiers and better people, thus a better nation,” replied Si-Jin calmly in between his breaths.

“Yes. But why today. I thought today was going to be a date day. Go to parks. Visit museums. Being cute and charming. I wasn’t ready for jogging. I haven’t exercise in months. This is not fair.”

Mo-yeon wiped the sweat off her forehead. For someone in the medical field and preached about having a healthy lifestyle, she was sure inactive. She literally hadn’t touched her jogging shoes in months. Her only form of exercise mostly starts from her shift at the hospital and nothing more.

Si-Jin laughed, Mo-yeon looked absolutely beaten, her face all red and she looked like she had jogged for hours. They’re been jogging for only half an hour.

“You’ll die in the army,” he muttered under his breath.

“What?”

“You’re really pretty when you’re exercising,” he intervened, walking a few steps towards Mo-yeon.

The doctor stayed in her spot, fuming as her boyfriend approached her with that gargantuan smirk on his face. She knew he was going to . He just can’t help himself. She could tell by the countless jokes before that he was just going to . And that stupid charming smile.

“You want me to carry you on my back?”

“What?”

“Isn’t that what couples do? Carry each other on their backs. I saw a friend did that once. It’s cute,” said Si-Jin. “You want me to that to you?”

Mo-yeon could feel the heat rushing to her cheeks. Si-Jin was far too close for comfort, and she was feeling embarrassed for being outside so early in the morning and having other people see their affection with each other. She couldn’t imagine having ajumas and kids starring at them.

“Stop teasing,” she slapped a playful hand on Si-Jin’s chest.

“What. Isn’t that what you want is it? A strong soldier carrying a pretty girl. People would be so jealous. I’ll gladly do it. Especially if my girlfriend is really pretty.”

“Bye,” and with a light push, Mo-yeon ran up the hill, leaving her boyfriend behind.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

“You’re funny.”

“You’re funny.”

“You’re not an attractive woman.”

“Say what! That’s a lie. Just so you know I was ranked 45 in the list of most attractive tv personalities, and I’ve only been on air 5 times,” defended Mo-yeon. “What about you! You’re not attractive when I open your body up and sell your organs to the dogs.”

“Hey!”

Mo-yeon laughed.

“Look at us. I wanted to take my girlfriend on many dates. But here we are eating street food in our dirty working out clothes in the heat. Women would kill for a date with me. But I choose her. She’s a special one,” said Si-Jin, folding his arms.

“You don’t look cool, standing up like that,” pointed Mo-yeon to her boyfriend beside her.

That’s a lie. Mo-yeon can’t help but steal another glance at the handsome Si-Jin. He looked absolutely god-like with his strong arms folded tightly against his chest. His face looked so innocent, but she knew there was entirely different man behind it. One thing she always hated about being with Si-Jin is the lingering thought about what did he did when he went abroad. She can’t help but feel curious about his job. But they agreed not to talk about it. But she just can’t help herself.

“Si-Jin, did you go to the department store?” asked Mo-yeon softly.

Si-Jin’s ears perked up. He slowly turned his head towards his girlfriend. “Yes. I had to buy something important.”

Mo-yeon made an O expression, understanding everything that he just said.

“Do you have anything injured?” she asked softly. “I don’t need to know why or how.”

“A massage would be fine,” Si-Jin’s eyes crinkled.

Mo-yeon sighed. “Fine. I’ll get a big old ajuma to massage you.”

“I think I know someone better,” whispered Si-Jin. “She’s very beautiful. Prettiest eyes. A beauty. She even looks good with sweat. Do you where I can find her?”

Mo-yeon blushed. “Oh shut up. Say that when I’m covered in blood and pus in the emergency table.”

“You always ruin these moments.”

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

The entire day the couple spent walking around the city in their work out clothes. They didn’t bother to return home and change because they just didn’t feel like it. Mo-yeon didn’t care that she had the public pointing out her unusual clothes as she walked in the streets, she’s already used to the fact she’s a public figure. Si-Jin couldn’t help but feel slightly protective of Mo-yeon, wherever they went because there would be people pointing at her. Some people recognized his girlfriend from her appearances on television shows and the hospital advertisements and asked for selfies and autographs. Even some guys wanted in on Mo-yeon, asking for a selfie and her phone number, resulting in him putting a protective arm around his girlfriend.

“You know. We really need to change out of our work out clothes,” said Si-Jin, smelling his sleeve.  

“I know. What were we thinking?” joked Mo-yeon, breaking into a laugh.

“It’s your idea.”

“You agreed”

“We’re insane.”

The couple burst out laughing in unison. As soon as they finished laughing, comfortable silence dawned between them. For the first time in weeks, Mo-yeon felt at peace with everything. She didn’t have to worry about Si-Jin somewhere across the globe, whether was he injured or whatever. Si-Jin was beside her, starring at the same sunset against the horizon. She’s happy to be beside her boyfriend.  

“Si-Jin…” she whispered.

“Yes?”

Mo-yeon rested her head on her boyfriend’s shoulder, nuzzling on the fabric of his jacket.  

“Thank you for coming back to me.”

With a quick flick, Si-Jin swooped in and claimed her lips in his.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

The way home, the couple walked hand in hand. Si-Jin being extra affectionate to Mo-yeon, intertwining their fingers and kissing her hand repeatedly. He’s in cloud nine right now. He doesn’t want the day to end. How he got so lucky by finding such an amazing woman. He must’ve done something right in his previous life, because he’s so incredibly lucky to find someone like Mo-yeon.

They finally arrived at Mo-yeon’s house.

Si-Jin felt like the trip was too fast. He’s reluctant to let go of her hand. And he doesn’t want to. He watched as Mo-yeon opened the door for them, beaming brightly as she pushed the door in.

“Si-Jin, please come in.”

She took off her slippers and wore her cute fuzzy home slippers.

“Si-Jin, why are you still outside?”

“I don’t think I can control myself around you if I enter your house.”

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

DUN DUN DUN