Selfish People

When You Wake Up

 

“Kyuhyun-ssi...I’m sorry.” Sungmin sounded like he was about to cry. Kyuhyun would tell something was the matter and not something small for Sungmin was not the type to cry easily.

 

“What’s wrong?’”

 

“I just got a call from the hospital. The donor’s family changed their mind, they aren’t donating anymore.”

 

“What?!”

 

“The family wants the woman whole during her funeral.”

Kyuhyun wasn’t sure how to process the new information and remained speechless. Why was this happening to him? His had just been told that the love of his life only had a few hours to live and now the donor had just bailed out at the last moment. Was everyone just set out to make things hard for him?

 

“How’s Ryeowook?” Sungmin asked awkwardly, breaking the silence not knowing what to say in an attempt to strike a conversation

 

“He...well...his heart stopped his morning and the doctor said that he’s going to die in a few hours if he doesn’t get the surgery.” He answered slowly, suddenly finding it hard to speak as his eyes filled with tears.

 

“Those goddamn people who care about themselves...the lady doesn’t even need her lungs anymore. Wait for me, I’ll get those lungs no matter what, I’ll pay the doctor to steal it for me if I have to!” The tears that were about to fall dried and instead of being upset, Sungmin was outraged. Why was the world so unfair? People watched as other people died, not offering to help when they were perfectly able to, when doing so would cause them to lose nothing because of their own selfish desires.

Although he wasn’t as close to Ryeowook as Kyuhyun was, it killed him to watch his friend die without being able to do anything and to watch Kyuhyun rip himself apart because of it.

He had known Ryeowook for a few years since they met in college but because of their busy schedules, they did not contact each other very often. At the time of the accident, Sungmin had been overseas doing graduate studies. As much as he wanted to, visiting Ryeowook would mean missing a lot of his classes and his wallet couldn’t handle more than two or three trips a year. The number of times he had visited in the past five years could be counted with both hands. Despite this, when he heard that Ryeowook needed lungs, he had spent his nights endlessly searching for donors.

 

“No, Sungmin it’s okay. Please don’t do anything stupid.” Kyuhyun’s voice was weak

 

“But he’s going to die! You heard the doctor, the damn lady is our last hope.”

 

“I know but think of what Ryeowook would feel like if he woke up and realized he was living off of stolen organ. I don’t want him to be like me and live in guilt.” Kyuhyun almost pleaded

 

Sungmin sighed “You do have a good point….but there’s no way we can find another donor in such a short time.”

 

“Actually we can and have.”

Although Sungmin couldn’t actually see anything through the receiver, he could tell that Kyuhyun was smiling. He thought about the meaning of what his friend had just said.

 

Author's Note: Okay, this is a short chapter, but its a lead in to the next part where something bigger is going to happen. I apologize ahead of time for the events of the next chapter because I see multiple people have been telling not to make the story so, but it wouldn't be very interesting otherwise. So sorry sorry sorry sorry XD