I'll be waiting

When You Wake Up

Five years ago, Ryeowook ran in front of a car to save Kyuhyun. It was a drunk driver who ran a red light and plowed through the crosswalk while the two of them were crossing the road. Ryeowook’s first instinct was to push Kyuhyun aside and take the hit because that was the kind of person he was. He helped others whenever he could without question, often forgetting about himself in an effort to be of assistance. He was, in short, what some people would call a “candle”.  He burned himself to provide for others.

Kyuhyun was a self-conscious person who often kept to himself. Ryeowook was the only person he opened up to. He felt extremely comfortable around his friend for his friend emitted a sort of warmness that made it seem perfectly natural to share everything and confide in him about everything. As a result, they quickly became very close friends to the point where he sometimes wondered if he loved him. But it was a thought he shook off everytime it came up because he was sure he was straight. 

He didn't realize how much he needed Ryeowook until the smaller boy was almost taken away from forever in front of his eyes. The car had struck the boy head on and done enough damage to put the boy in a deep coma for an indefinite amount of time. 

For five years, he laid in the hospital with eyes shut tight and without moving a single muscle. And for five years, Kyuhyun took care of him every day to the point where the hospital had almost become his home. He felt that his friend’s condition was his fault so he was the one who should be nursing him back to health. According to the doctor, there was very little that they could do anymore; it all depended on the boy's own will. 

 “Ryeowook ah, how can you sleep for so long? I thought you were an insomniac…” Kyuhyun muttered as he wiped Ryeowook’s hand with a wet towel. After a few moments, he switched to the other hand, being careful to manipulate the cloth around the IV tube inserted on the back of his hand. Finishing, he set the towel on the stand next to the bed and gingerly the sleeping boy’s face. He planted a kiss on the boy’s forehead as if he were the prince in the fairytale who woke up sleeping beauty with a kiss, except in his version, sleeping beauty did not respond.

“Ryeowook ah, I miss you. Please wake up soon.”

His eyes welled with tears as he gazed at the thin body and the long thin pink scar that ran along the right side of his neck.  He couldn’t explain why he was tearing up but made no attempt to stop it. Tightly clutching Ryeowook’s hand, he buried his face in the boy’s chest, silently weeping and begging for the boy to open his eyes and smile at him. But of course, things did not come just because you wished or begged for them.

Kyuhyun ah, stop crying for me. I’m not worth it. If only my stupid body would listen to me and allow me to open my eyes and look at him…..if only I could embrace him back or hold his hand….if only he knew how much I love him…I miss you so much…

Kyuhyun stood up from his seat, dried his eyes with his sleeve, and began to gather his belongings. The clock on the wall ticked as the hour hand inched forward and shifted its point from the empty space between 11 and 12 to exactly 12, signaling the end of visiting hours.

---

Kyuhyun I’m sorry….

A skinny figure of a boy with mousy hair smiled at Kyuhyun as he slowly faded away

Wait! Don’t go!

The boy continued to smile with a saddened expression as he waved at to him.

Ryeowook no! Don’t leave!

Kyuhyun was on the verge of tears as he made a grab for the fading boy’s arm. Receiving only a fistful of thin air, he crumpled helplessly to the ground as he watched the person he loved most fade into nothingness. He couldn’t contain his sobs any longer and began to cry like a baby who had just lost their mother.

And then the surroundings cracked and shattered like glass

Kyuhyun opened his swollen and red eyes. Tears continued to cascade down his face as he untangled the sheets wrapped around his sweaty body. There was a sinking feeling in his heart as it continued to flutter. He wrapped his arms around his own body in an attempt to imitate the warm body that usually embraced him when he had a bad dream. But it wasn’t the same. He longed for Ryeowook, for his warmness, for his consoling smile, for his understanding personality. At this thought, he got out of bed, threw on the first clothes he found and left for the hospital. 

Without thinking about much, he made his way to the hospital along the route he had traveled countless times. He took the elevator to the same floor as always and walked down the all too familiar corridor to the last door where Ryeowook stayed. Opening the door, the first thing he noticed was that the bed was empty. The sheets had been replaced, the room had been cleaned, and all the boy's personal items had been removed. He stared at the vacant bed for a few seconds before realizing that he should ask the nurse on duty. His palms broke out in a cold sweat as he went up to the nurse station counter.

“Did you see where the patient in that room went?” he pointed to the last door

“His condition suddenly worsened last night and the doctor had to move him to the ICU.”