II. 00:00-12:00

Moonbyul's Emotions

---

Right now, we’re like two complete strangers that were put inside a room. You sat at the farthest corner from mine, and silence dominated the whole studio. It felt like we went back to that first day of elementary school, only with matured minds and changed feelings. I tried staring at you for long, perhaps you would notice that I’m trying to communicate with you but you never even faced my way.

What could happen in a span of less than 12 hours?

Last night, we were very elated as we talked on the phone like we haven’t seen each other the whole day. We’ve also brainstormed about our performance, and pitched in some good ideas that made us look forward to today’s practice. But everything I’ve imagined for today crumbled down the moment you walked in the dance room with no sign of motivation. Yes, we practiced but we can’t seem to do anything right. It was really unusual since most of the time we get to finish almost everything within a day, but now it seemed like we’re back to square one. You didn’t talk unless spoken to and your replies were short and robotic.

I finally decided to take the initiative and approach, but was taken aback when you slightly flinched after I placed my hand on your shoulder. The gesture spoke a thousand words for me, and I became both more confused and curious as to what the real reason of your unusual behavior is. Did I do something wrong?

“Yongsun-ah…?”

You glanced at me so quickly before looking back at the screen of your phone. Why are you acting so awkward?

“Let’s change the song.”

Everything just became a lot more complicated, and I cannot hide the confusion and disappointment that I was planning to forget. Throughout the years that we’ve been performing together in college, we've never changed songs once we decided on it. Not even once. But now, you’re telling it to me like I took part in the decision you obviously just made by yourself. “Wait a minute. Can you even hear yourself right now? There’s only three days left and now you want to change the song? We don’t even have any progress for today! And how can you just decide like that without asking me about it?”

“I’m not feeling this song anymore, and you know I can’t perform well if I’m not into it.” Just then you reached for your towel and water bottle, and shoved it inside your duffel bag. “Let’s just continue tomorrow.”

“Hey, Kim Yongsun. Do we have any—“

“I’m not feeling well and I just want to rest. I’m sorry.”

All I managed to do was to stare at your back as you walked away with heavy steps, seemingly like there were metal balls attached on each of your ankles.  I know that despite of your always bubbly persona, you still have your down times as well but today was exceptionally different. You were suddenly distant, and your eyes displayed utter confusion. You were never like this to me, and even if we’ve fought, you never became so careful around me. Not until now.

And I hate it.

You then stopped on your tracks and looked back. “Byul-ah,” The corner of my lips slightly went up upon hearing you voice out my name, and my anger got flushed down the drain in an instant.

“Yeah?”

You kept mum for a second before heaving a sigh. “Nevermind.” Then you finally left.

As if by reflex, I fished out my phone from my pocket and dialed another memorized number besides yours as I went on my lonely way home.

We always take the same bus when going home, and those rare times that we don’t are what I consider one of my loneliest times. I got used to the feeling of the weight of your head on my shoulder whenever you slept that it feels so empty and cold right now. I also got used to your whiny voice whenever you got bored and didn’t want me to sleep that I consider the busy streets of Seoul very quiet.

Regardless of how many hours we’ve spent together, at the end of the day I still miss you. Even in my sleep, to the point that I dream about you.

I miss you, Kim Yongsun.

 

“Where’s Hyejinie?” I asked Wheein, who just arrived at my apartment two hours after I called her.

“I called her and she sounded really sick so I just told her to rest.” The younger one casually threw herself on the couch, propping her head on the arm rest. “What’s with this sudden hang-out anyway? Aren’t you supposed to be practicing with Solar unnie right now?”

“Well…about that—“

“Ah, okay.” Wheein saw through me like a transparent glass, and she didn’t let me finish my sentence anymore. She then stood up and took the can of beer that I opened for myself and took a gulp. “So, what happened?”

I let out a deep sigh as I took the empty seat beside Wheein. “Yongsun suddenly became…distant. We didn’t even have a proper talk, like she only responds when I say something to her but her replies were short as well. Okay, I see, sure…like those.” I then grabbed the can from her and sipped a bit. “And can you believe it? She suddenly wanted to change the song!”

“Maybe she wasn’t feeling well?” The younger one leaned her head on my shoulder as we continued to share the drink. “And yeah that’s weird. Solar unnie never changes songs once she decided on it.”

“I know, right? And yeah, she said that she’s not feeling well that’s why our practice got cut short.”

“Then why are you so bothered about it?”

“Because I know what she’s like when sick, and it’s totally different from what I saw a while ago. And regardless, I’m always bothered about her. You know that.”

“Of course you are.” With a sly look in her eyes, Wheein waggled her eyebrows up and down as she smirked.

I knew too well what she was trying to convey, so I took all of the cans including the one she just opened. “No more beer for you. Let me get the milk—“

A weight pulled me back down on the couch, and she didn’t let go of my arm. “Byulie unnie…”  The Shiba Inu in human form showed her puppy eyes again and after seeing that I already gave up struggling, she immediately took the can and gulped it in one shot. “I was just joking, you know. And I’m an adult already, so why are you going to give me milk?”

“Because you still look like a puppy, okay?” She smiled at my remark, and leaned her head on my shoulder once again as she enjoyed her 3rd can.

“But seriously, why don’t you just give it a shot? You know, just let it all out. I’m sure unnie wouldn’t push you away if ever she doesn’t feel the same way.”

“I just don’t want to risk it. Yongsun may not avoid me, but things are still bound to change. She might feel pressured and uncomfortable, and I don’t want that to happen. I’d rather suffer alone. Besides, she met someone yesterday…”

Wheein’s already droopy eyes because of the beer suddenly shot wide open. She sat up straight and gave me a questioning glare. “Are you saying that Solar unnie…finally entertained someone?”

A deep, defeated sigh escaped my mouth as I let my head lean on the backrest. “I guess? That was the first time I saw her talk to a guy with much enthusiasm.” I shrugged.

“If that’s the case then…you really screwed up your chance, Byulie unnie.” Wheein sighed as she hugged my arm. “You should have listened to us.”

“I know.” I lazily reached for another can and opened it. “That’s why I’m taking this secret to my grave.”

“Hey, don’t give up yet! As long unnie is not yet giving her yes, you still have a chance. So my advice for you stays the same.” The younger one held up her drink, offering a toast. “You can do it!”

Her positivity made me smile and hope that I could also have that kind of outlook about this matter. I bumped my can on hers and was about to down it, but the sight of a ring tattoo that encircled my pinky finger quickly made me go for another time travelling again.

“Come here.” I said after you drew a ring on my pinky finger using a green marker.

“Why?” You backed away, holding up your fists childishly.

“Don’t be unfair.” I reached and grabbed your wrist. “We need to take a picture of this. And I draw well too.”

You hesitated for a bit as you kept pulling away, but eventually surrendered after I managed to put your hand on the table and started drawing. It was a simple ring adorned with an overlapping star and sun, which I got from our names. After that, you took my hand again and added more details to the ring you drew on mine.

It was a lovely scenery; seeing you get serious as you drew while listening to the song that the two kids were singing. It was like a romantic scene from a drama.

We took a picture of it afterwards, and I’ve never erased it ever since.

---

You confuse me.

Instead at the paper where you continued sketching as you explained how our performance would unfold, I stared at you with a perplexed expression. What happened? Was yesterday just a hallucination? Why are you now so close, like nothing happened yesterday? I’m more than glad that we’re back to how we usually are with each other, but something is still bothering me. Were you just really sick, or was there something else that you just opted to forget? I suddenly remembered what happened this morning, and I didn’t expect that it would lead us to this situation that we’re in at the moment.

“Do you want to eat?”

That was the second thing I’ve heard after being awoken by the sound of the door opening. Wheein’s head was still on my shoulder as she slept peacefully while you stood in front of me and waited for my response. After I nodded, you then took the can that I was holding, along with the other empty ones that were on the coffee table and brought them to the kitchen. The next thing I heard was the sound of the refrigerator opening and closing, followed by the sound of a sharp knife hitting the cutting board as you slice through the vegetables. Eventually, the whole apartment was filled with an appetizing aroma.

After gently laying the younger one on the couch, I sat at the table while you started placing the meal and side dishes in front of me. You then sat beside me when you finished and urged me to eat.

“Thank you.” I said with droopy eyes, and you smiled back as a response.

I then picked up my utensils and started eating. I was hungry, but since it was still morning, I didn’t have the strength yet and just slowly nibbled the food.  My mind was still blurred, and even if I wanted to go back to sleep, it would be hard for me to do so anymore.

But all of a sudden, you took my spoon and bowl away. “Here, give it to me.”

“What are you—“

My words vanished when I saw you put a side dish on top of the rice and fed it to me. 

I thought you were just concerned that’s why you’re near, and we’ll revert back to our sudden awkward relationship after that. I imagined our practice for today to be as emotionally tiring as yesterday, and that more conflicts will arise as we go on. Our distance will be much greater, to the point that we’d have to cancel our performance.

Man, I was wrong.

Not only did you flip back to the cheery and loud Yongsun that I know, but you also went far beyond that. You became extra loud, extra clingy, extra hyper, extra happy, extra…that’s right, if I have to summarize you in one word, extra is the perfect term to use. Extra; to the point that you now receive my greasy antics very well and tease back with your own version of it.

It’s surprising, because I’m struggling more than how I did yesterday even if I am genuinely happy with what’s happening. My heart beats faster when you put your arms around my neck, and it seems like I run out of oxygen whenever you look right through my eyes. This happens often though, so what’s the difference? Why do I suddenly feel so helpless? To be honest I am starting to curse myself for including such intimate moments in the choreography.

It’s the first time I saw you being responsive like this, and I don’t know how to deal with an extra Kim Yongsun.

“Byul-ah, are you listening?”

My eyes met yours as you gave me a questioning look, and my mind quickly thought of an escape. “O-of course, Yongsun-ah. It’s just that…your hair…” I then reached out and tucked your hair behind your ear with a smile.

However, the smirk that formed on your face just outright told me that my excuse didn’t work. And to my surprise, you inched your face closer to mine. “I’m so lucky to have you. Thanks, Byulie-yah.” You said, followed by a brush of your index finger under my chin, lightly flicking it in the process.

Nothingness came out of my mouth since my mind got short circuited. I wasn’t able to process anything and respond to your mischievous stare with a lost one. I’m also not sure if I was still breathing. All I know is that those two kids seated on the floor just a few meters away from us are probably having the time of their lives as they watched my demise. It’s not news to me that they get happiness from my suffering.

Upon seeing my epic reaction, you erupted in a laughing fit which also snapped my senses back to its functioning state. “W-what…?”

“You’re so cute when flustered.” You then stood up and walked towards the middle of the room. “Come on, let’s get this over with so that we all can finally pack up and eat.”

I followed, glaring at the two as I passed by them after hearing some meaningful coughs.

After an hour and a half, everything was polished and both of us are now ready for the performance tomorrow. All of us headed out of the building complex and discussed what and where to eat, but since Wheein and Hyejin’s tastes in food totally differ from us, the two always hyper best friends decided to go on their way. The two waved goodbye with smiles that only I can decipher, and I would have already chased and gave them a beating if only you weren’t around.

From the restaurant, to the mall, up until the park— everything went by so smoothly that I only just noticed the time now that I’m already walking you home. It’s always like that, well at least for me. Time seemed inexistent in our world, and it didn’t matter. For me, it was only you and the moments that I sure will treasure for as long as I can.

This is one of those times when I think of how lucky I am to have you by my side that I can just keep this overwhelming feelings that I have for you buried deep down in my heart. As long as we’re together, I am already contented with what we have. As long as you won’t leave, I can sacrifice my love and just pretend that such feeling never existed. 

“Thank you for always walking my daughter home. I’m happy that our Yongsun have someone like you.” Your dad warmly smiled as he told me those heartfelt words of gratitude, and I just can’t help but feel proud of myself. I’m almost a hundred percent sure that I would pass your father’s standards…well, if I was a guy.

“Uncle, you know that my way home really passes by this area so it’s nothing.” I smiled. “No need to thank me.”

“What you said just made me more thankful.” He patted my shoulder.

“I told you, dad. Byulie is the best.” You adorably hugged your father’s arm, just like how you whenever he came back home from work. “Anyway, I have to go in now because Jinhee unnie has been waiting for me. Let’s give our best tomorrow!” You then held up your palm for a high-five.

I smiled brightly, slapping your open palm with mine before holding it for a few seconds. “That goes without saying, Yongsun-ah.”

That’s because I’m always my best when I’m with you.

-----

A/N: So how was Chapter 2? Please tell me! ^^

And if you’re wondering about the title of this chapter, I’ll try my best to explain. ^^

I was listening to ‘I Miss You’ and ‘You’re The Best’ most of the time while writing this part: two songs that are polar opposites from one another. ‘I Miss You’ is that kind of song you’ll listen when you can’t sleep because of some unsettled thoughts in your mind, while ‘You’re The Best’ is that kind of song that heightens up your mood on the peak of the day. So, I just took both midnight (00:00 in 24-hour clock is midnight) and noon as the title. The dash in between doesn’t represent the gap between those times, but how Solar went from one point to another in Moonbyul’s eyes. ^^

I hope that made sense? Drop some comments below! :D

PS: I can't believe that I already reached 50 subs. Thank you very much for your kind and encouraging words. I'm really glad that you liked it. Hopefully this second chapter didn't disappoint. ^^