2nd: Acquaintances

Underneath It All

Untitled-5.png

 
 
Untitled-5.png
 
 
chapter two
acquaintances

Come on, darling. There’s no need to be shy, just approach them and say hello.”

The little child fiddles with her own fingers as she sways her slightly stubby body from side to side. She couldn’t figure out why is there really a need to greet their new neighbors when in fact, spending lots of time at home with toys and her own parents is already more than enough.

"Go on," her father encouraged once more as he bends down and gently nudges on her back. This made his daughter squirm and run behind him. “Daughter—”

“No,” she stubbornly mumbles as she jumps and wraps her short limbs around his father’s leg. ”No, no, no, no…”

“Get off my leg, young lady.” The man warns with a frown visible on his features although it was quite obvious how he tries not to crack a fond smile towards his adorable daughter.

“But—” The child looks up with a big pout as she clings tighter around her father’s leg. “S-shy. I’m shy!” She confesses as she shakes her head, indicating how there’s no way that she’ll let go.

“Fine then, I guess we’re approaching those two kids this way.”

“Daddy!” She whines and childishly tries to make herself heavy but her father has already taken big steps despite her, still clinging on his leg. “I’m shy. Please don’t make me go there,please?” 

“You. Need. To. Make. Friends.” Her father replies as he kept moving forward. “It’s society’s standard procedure. It’s an unspoken requirement.”

“It’s not!” The child retorted back even if half of what her father said was too difficult to understand for her.

“It is, child.”

“It’s not! I’ll show you someday!”

“And while we haven’t reached that day, you are going to say hello to our neighbors.”

“Daddy!!!”


                                                                     .___.

A single mistake

After a whole day of being careful so as not to get caught of disguising under this frilly dress, heavy auburn wig, and even the unnecessary layer of make-up, in the end, such efforts were wasted as it still boiled down to one teeny tiny mistake—leaving the door unlocked.Now Jiyong Kwon stands in front of the new transferee, holding her like a lifeline for letting go only means to be branded as a cross-dresser.

He’ll be the laughing stock of Masculum and Femella before he can even utter an explanation. 

Just a day with this disguise and I still messed it up, for heaven’s sake. Jiyong’s features may be composed as ever but truth be told, he has already cursed himself silently for the umpteenth time as his brown orbs stare at the female who has not moved even an inch since he uttered his real name.

He can see how both realization and confusion has hit her hard. It was evident even just by looking at her widened eyes. Jiyong new that he ought to take action already but as he stood there whilst holding her wrist, he was torn on what to do first and undeniably, those eyes of hers held him bounded in that position

“A-arisa…stop joking around.”Jiyong stiffens upon hearing Nana Komatsu’s soft stuttering. She tries to smile and was obviously waiting for him to do the same and for him to tell her that this is just her messed up imagination.

Apparently it wasn’t.

 

Jiyong knew he should be gentle and be more cautious around this newbie but when was he ever considerate to others, really? 

A snide remark was itching to come out and in the end— “Seriously Komatsu, does the dress still fool you?” He his head to the side and intentionally stares at the other with a mischievous glint in his eyes. “Would you like me to undress myself further just so you can be sure?”

—in the end, he made matters worse.

Nana, all of a sudden gripped with fear, starts to scream and run away but he was quick to wrap an arm around her waist to pull her back.

“It was a joke, Komatsu. Calm down and I’ll explain everything to you,” Jiyong hissed as they both ended up stumbling down on the nearest bed. 

Y-you -mmhf!”  She squirms as Jiyong hovers on top of her. An array of emotions were evident on her widened eyes as she was forced down on the bed but as much as this bothered him, letting her go is simply idiotic at the moment as well. One of his hands moves to cover while the other closes around both of the female’s wrists just so she would stop hitting him.

“Calm down will you? You are making this even weirder. Shush and listen to me.” He mumbles sternly which made Nana even more scared. “I am not letting you go, unless you stay put.”

He stays in the same position, his eyes locking seriously to hers as he waits.

Slowly, when realization hits that there is just no way that she can escape from the strength of this man, she slumps on the bed. Her chest heaves and falls rapidly and a trickle of sweat slips from her forehead. It was at this point that Jiyong loosens his grip.

“Let…let me go.” Nana gasps a she looks up at him pleadingly before staring once more to her captured wrists.Jiyong trains his eyes to where she was looking and realized how tight his grip was. When he relaxed the slightest, Nana thrashes her arms and finally pushes him away. Immediately, she scrambles to move to the other side to where her own bed is.

“Komatsu-”

“Go a-away!” The lady curls into a foetal position, her back facing to him.

Jiyong sits up to gaze at her, after being pushed down. “Komatsu, let me-”

“I don’t care why you are here or who you are. If this is a prank or some sort of initiation in this dormitory then thanks, you all have made your point,” she shakily says as she buries her face on a pillow even more.

“The others have nothing to do with this.”

“Just please leave me be.”

“I can’t,” He mumbles as he stands up and watch her. He hesitates to continue for a second or two before he adds, “I need you not to tell anyone about this.” 

“After all this, you dare ask for such favor.” His guilt was already kicking him in the gut. Now that she openly blurts it out, he suddenly felt like the biggest jerk at the moment, thanks to her. “I won’t babble so long as you go away and never come back. So please…”

A Klutz, daydreamer, straightforward, amusing and faintly interesting person with an endearing smile; that is how Jiyong perceived Nana Komatsu the moment he first met her. What caught his attention most, was that hopeful gleam on her bright ebony eyes.

That hopeful gleam, however was swiftly extinguished the moment he turned her into a squirming and resisting mess. Another mistake.

“As you wish,” he mumbles as he takes the wig off from the coat hanger and finally leaves the room. 

                                                                        .___.

 

It was around 6:30 in the evening when Lee Chaerin finished taking a long and relaxing shower. If there was anything the vice president of Femella’s student council loved the most, it is when she can have the room all to herself while her dear roommate, Dara, is out lurking to some places.

“To watch a movie or to listen to eargasmic songs?” She mumbles absentmindedly when suddenly, persistent knocking on her door interrupted her. “Wait for a while!” She calls out as she takes the towel off her wet blond hair.

Any dormer in their right minds would have stopped knocking by now, after all Chaerin has long been known as the short-tempered council officer who never tolerates stubborn students; this time however, the knocking went on—persistently and annoyingly.

Her small eyes glare irritably on the door. “Aren’t you too deaf for your own good? Didn’t you hear me? I said wait!” Her hand coils around the doorknob, ready to reprimand the stranger to much extent. Or at least that is what she has been planning.

The moment she opens the door, she was simply left rooted on the ground.

“There’s just no single moment that you are not mad, Chaerin. You ought to calm down once in a while”

The lady blinks her eyes once…twice…and several times more before her jaw drops in mere surprise. 'No freaking way.'

“I am seeing a Jiyong Kwon wearing a lovely pink dress while holding awig. Flick my forehead if I am wrong, will you?”

Jiyong rolls his eyes in return, “you are not wrong,”he answers although he still reaches out to indeed flick her forehead lightly. 

“Ouch! Hey, that wasn’t fair!” The slight pain pulled Chaerin back to reality, to which also means that this is indeed not a dream!

Chaerin never—ever thought that she would live to see the day that Jiyong Kwon, the Masculum’s intimidating council president, Femella’s ever heartthrob and the son of the current owner of Caltridge University would look so silly.

Well, silly is so much of an understatement right now.
 
“You have done much ogling already, woman. Let me in, yes?” Jiyong asks impatiently. He didn’t wait for her to reply as he soon slips inside the room.

Still rubbing the spot on her forehead where her friend has hit her, Chaerin closes and locks the door. She drew a deep breath, controlling herself so as not to show anything that would piss of Jiyong. This is, after all, one of the most powerful students in the university. “You know you shouldn’t be here, Mr. President.” she asks as casually as she can while she securely locks her door.

“I’m well aware. Let me hide here for a moment. I’ll leave as soon as no one goes out of their respective rooms anymore.” Jiyong sits on Chaerin’s chair and leans his head on her clear study table, letting his eyes close for a moment to rest. “Forgive me for my intrusion, but you are the only person in Femella I have befriended ever since. You know that.”

“I’m f-flattered,” the slightest stutter from his female friend raises Jiyong’s curiosity. It was only then, when he opens his eyes and sees Chaerin’s cheeks reddening and lips pursed forcefully, did he realized her internal struggle.

He sighs and props his elbow on the table while he leans his chin on his hand. “I’m giving you only five seconds to laugh. Use the time wisely.” 

Chaerin shakes her head immediately. The both of them have only spent some time together mostly during council meetings, she has seen so many frightening sides of her friend and right now, she really wishes the memories of those times would be enough to stop the giggle rising from . “I’m not going to laugh, d-don’t worry!”

“Five seconds.” Jiyong repeated as his eyes bore on to hers. “ Your time—”

“Seriously, Jiyong. How can I ever laugh at you?!”

“Starts…now. Laugh.”

But she didn’t. Instead, she bites her lower lip and shakes her head stubbornly. “I-I’m sure you have reasons to why this has happened. Mind telling me? Maybe I can hel—”

“Chaerin.”

“Yes?”

“Did you know I wore high heels earlier as well?”

“Pft-” Chaerin clamps with both of her hands to stop herself but unfortunately picturing him with his disguise is just too much to handle. And so she laughs.

“AHAHAHAHAHA!”

Jiyong watches his friend wrap her arms around her stomach as she laughs loudly, her eyes turning to crescents. If he felt embarrassed with this situation, he doesn’t give Chaerin the liberty to have more reasons to laugh at. “Don’t you just love my misery. Three seconds left.”

“I’M SORRY I’M SORRY BUT NEVER IN MY LIFE DID I IMAGINE THAT I’D SEE YOU LIKE THIS! I MEAN AHAHA JIYONG KWON YOU LOOK SO SILLY WITH THOSE PINK LACES!”

“Time is up. Now that’s enough.” Jiyong grumbles whilst scowling at her.

Chaerin turns around and makes herself calm down by breathing deeply. She wipes away the small tears that almost escaped from the corner of her eyes before finally turning around to the man inside her room. “Thank you for that.” She mumbles with a chuckle while she plops herself on her bed just beside the chair that Jiyong sits on. “Spill the beans, Mr. President. I’m all ready to listen.”

And so he did. He told her how this was Arisa’s idea and how he ended up agreeing to it. He told her how he used the time to inspect Femella’s condition and how he finally met Nana Komatsu—Arisa’s future roommate. By the time he told her about how the Newbie found him, Jiyong's head was already aching. It was a long day and now he has more to handle than he already have.

“I thought so. I wouldn’t be surprised if it came from Arisa’s mischievous and imaginative mind. No one should know that Arisa, our very own president in Femella made a guy sneak inside here or she will be in trouble.” Chaerin rolls on her bed and looks up at the blank ceiling, her mind whirling as she tries to figure out how to help. “Is it okay to leave this Nana alone at this very moment?” 

“Newbie told me she would not babble to anyone at all so long as I never return,” Jiyong replies as he pinches the bridge of his nose, “but that doesn’t set me at ease at all. See, Komatsu didn’t let me explain of the situation.”

Chaerin’s eyes darts back to Jiyong in surprise. “Not even a little?”

“You heard me.” Jiyong sighs heavily at this. 

“Poor kiddo must be so confused right now.”

“Chaerin, I don’t want Arisa to know about any of this. This is my own problem; there is no need for her to worry about this.”

So typical of you,’ Chaerin thought as she heaved herself off the bed. “Don’t worry about it. I’ll make sure Arisa and Nana would not meet just until we can clear all of these up to the latter.”

“I think…” Jiyong hesitates for a moment or two before he eyes Chaerin with a slightly apologetic look. “I think it is best if I never show myself to Komatsu anymore. Something is different with her.”

"Nah, I’m sure she just simply freaked out. If I happened to find a man in my room with this get-up, I’d be terribly frightened as well. Believe me, I’m a girl. I know."

“Is it really just that?” He asks more to himself than the other. Jiyong has seen fear a lot of times on different people. But what he found on Nana Komatsu’s eyes seemed to be something deeper… darker. “Yeah, it is a girl thing, I guess.” He tells Chaerin in the end.

“If it bothers you so much then I’ll explain everything to that newbie myself; maybe tomorrow, when she has finally rested. For the mean time, you should go home and rest as well.”

Jiyong shot her a grateful look before setting his eyes on the auburn wig once more. ‘Just one last time,’ he thought before smugly wearing it on. "One more teasing glance, Chaerin and I'll plaster every bit of your childhood secret on Caltridge's webpage."

Despite the threat that Jiyong Kwon uttered, Chaerin couldn't help but burst into a peal of merry laughter again. "Try saying that without a dress on and I might cower a little, Mr. President."

At the of 10:30 pm, the two of them quietly and successfully leaves the dormitory. Jiyong drops his poised façade as there was finally no one to be wary of. He turns around and gives the dormitory one last look for the night. In the end, his eyes wanders to what his thoughts is mostly filled with at the moment.

“Mr. President, we should really leave. Are you listening?” Chaerin turns and finds him gazing up at the closed window that Arisa and Nana will soon share. “You’ll have that newbie panicking again if she finds you staring up like that.”

“That big branch, it is blocking the window.” Jiyong replies absentmindedly as he kept on looking up.

Chaerin raises an eyebrow upon hearing what he said. “And…that matters because?”

“Because you can’t see the stars at night.”

“I’m sorry, but when did stars ever mattered to Kwon Jiyong?”

The corner of his lips curves to make a smirk. He ruffles his hair and tilts his head up towards the twinkling distant lights instead. “Right, they never did.”


                                                                     .___.
 

“Can’t this day be any worse?” With an exasperated sigh, Nana Komatsu finds herself disappointedly looking at the window right beside her bed. She can barely see anything with all the thick leaves covering the view. “I can’t see the stars.” She muttered under her breath before letting herself lie down once more on the soft mattress.

It was a tiring day, and all she wanted to do is fall back to her tranquil dreams just so the bad and unwanted thoughts leave her be.

That’s Jiyong Kwon for you.

There it was, one of those new and clear memories she very well hopes to just go away. Nana knew adjusting to a new university, let alone in another country would never be easy but she was hopeful, and beyond happy with her decision.

Meeting Jiyong Kwon was like a slap in the face and she could not help but feel betrayed.

I’ll feel safe here. I’ll be free. I will never have to hold back. I will never have to be afraid. Not one person knew how she repeated this inside her head like a mantra and not one person would ever understand how much she needed to be in this university.

She wanted Femella to be a sanctuary for her. At least it was for a few hours before she found out the truth. Her slightly quivering hands drastically cover her eyes, making sure that the threatening tear would not escape.

Even in Korea, I’m still a mess, she somberly told herself.

Why that Jiyong Kwon easily entered the tight security of the school, why everyone fell for his disguise, why the other dormers indeed regarded him as Arisa Kwon—she wouldn’t know the answer to that and it did not matter at all so long as he keeps his promise to never return.

Just then, a sudden knock can be heard from her door. Nana winced and scrambled to sit up and press her back on the cold wall, half wishing that it would just consume her to nothingness.

“Hey, is someone in there? Can I come in?” The slightly muffled friendly voice of a female rang onto Nana’s ears making her heart pound rapidly to her ribcage once more. ‘Jiyong Kwon sounded like a real female as well…’

‘If this is another trick, I swear to God I’—her own thoughts were interrupted once more when the unknown person was starting knock again.

“I’m the dormer next to your room. Just dropping to greet you.” The hesitation of Nana to answer was filled with such numbing silence. “Oh are you tired? I’m sorry if that’s the case. I’ll just drop by next time. Rest well!”

‘He promised… he promised never to return,’ Nana reminded herself for a moment. ‘I can’t just hold back because of him. I shouldn’t.’ Finally, she calls out with a shaky voice, “n-no. It’s fine. You can come in.” Ever so slowly, Nana sits on the edge of her bed to await her sudden guest.

The door opens and for a second, Nana forgot about her wary thoughts as her eyes settle on the other dormer. How beautiful, she thought.

“Oh dear, are you okay? You look pale.”The stranger, whose face looked like it was taken from those beauty magazines, closes the distance between them while she pulls her eyebrows together in worr; her hand now gently caresses Nana’s forehead.

Nana never liked being touched especially to someone she vaguely knows but despite this, she stays put this time whilst the sheets on the edge of the mattress. She lets the stranger’s obvious sincere concern help her calm down. “

“I’ll be fine.”

“I’ll be fine, unnie.” The stranger corrected Nana with a fond smile before settling herself beside the latter. “For a person who originated from Japan, you are quite good in speaking the Korean language.”

Nana scrunches her nose as she shifts to face her new companion. “Actually some of the people I just met downstairs said I sound awkward and quite strong.”

“Well a bit awkward, yes. But that actually makes you sound adorable!” The other enthusiastically replies before offering a hand. “I’m Dara by the way. Dara Park, your resident unnie in this place.”

“U-unnie. Dara unnie.” Nana repeated meekly as she fiddles with her fingers the way she always does when she feels flustered around a person she barely knows. “Nana Komatsu is my name. A p-pleasure to meet you.” She slowly takes the others hand to shake it.

“Nana dongsaeng, let’s be good friends, yes?” Dara shook hands with her before leaning close to give her a quick hug making, Nana yelp in surprise.

“You are cute!” Dara happily expresses while pinching the younger’s cheek. Nana flinches at the sudden touch which made the former chuckle heartily. “Forgive me. I tend to be touchy around cute people.”

“I’m sorry, but that sounded weird.”

“Have I scared you already?”

Nana shakes her head and wears that ghostly sad smile before answering, “Not really. I’ve seen and heard worse things.”

Then on, the two conversed with much ease. Dara did the most of the talking as she tells her younger schoolmate some of the practices of the university and the few interesting people in Femella. Nana on the other hand, listens quietly after her few meek replies, enjoying how her new acquaintance fills her in about this new place that she’ll be staying for good.

There was something about the other’s good nature and older sister vibe that sets her quite at ease. Making friends was never in her expertise for an introvert like her. This makes her all the more thankful whenever she crosses paths with people like Dara.

Maybe this day wasn’t so bad. After all, a droplet of happiness after a bucket of bad things can still heal a thirsty soul.

“Now now…I’ve disturbed you enough.” Dara soon says as she stretches her arms. “Rest if you must. If there is anything you need, don’t hesitate to approach me, okay?” She gave Nana a pat on the back before finally standing up.

“Unnie?” Nana whispers as she led the older towards the door.

“Yes?”

“What do you think of Ji…Arisa Kwon?”

“Hm, I’ve known her for three years now so I can say a lot.”

“For three years?” Nana interjected in surprise. How is this possible? Surely there must be someone who discovered that fake façade even before her?

“Yes, for three years.” Dara repeats with a smile, nostalgia depicted on her beautiful visage. “Time sure flies fast, doesn’t it?”

“Yes, it sure does.” Nana mumbles. It took so much from her just not to sound bitter and sarcastic at all.

Dara opens the door and finally steps out of the room, “Arisa is a responsible student as expected from the daughter of Caltridge’s Directress and owner.”

“The WHO?” Nana gaped at the other, her jaw dropping in surprise. No wonder he has gotten away with all of this for three freaking years. He can simply use this much power to anyone. Jiyong Kwon has coiled his hands around their necks for a very long time now.

“Oh don’t worry, she is very approachable!” Dara added as she pats the other’s back as if this can comfort her at all. “But I must warn you, Arisa can be pretty mischievous around her friends. You ought to know that since you’ll be sharing this room with her soon. Well, goodnight! See you tomorrow!”

“Unnie—“the younger’s hands shot forward to grab the other’s. Her lips quivered as the beating of her heart once again accelerates. “A-arisa scares me.”

Nana felt a warm gentle squeeze return her strong hold as Dara watches her kindly. “Well how about this, the next time you feel uncomfortable around her, call for me. I’ll do the best that I can to handle the situation. There is no need to be scared, okay?”

But Nana Komatsu was indeed scared, enough to make her spend the whole night staring at the other vacant bed on the opposite side. What exactly is she going to do if the son’s owner of Femella is Jiyong Kwon?

Why is this all happening to me?


                                                                           .___.

‘So far, so good’ Nana thought as she enters the extravagant cafeteria of the university, the next day. She looks from left to right just to make sure that Jiyong Kwon wasn’t anywhere to be seen.

When the place seems to be clear and safe, Nana heaves a deep breath and rubs her swollen and tired eyes. She almost could not sleep last night and when she finally did, the usual nightmares have disturbed her well.

“Is it a bad dream or an uncomfortable bed that turned you to such a ragged-looking doll, Nana?” The pokemon loving girl from yesterday who happened to pass by asks in both concern and mild amusement.

‘A boy roommate, that’s what did this,’ Nana answers in her thoughts before smiling tiredly to the other. “Don’t mind me. Besides, there’s nothing a delicious food can’t comfort.”

“I agree with that. Come now, before more people arrives.”

At once, the two of them proceeded to the counter to order their food. Within few minutes, Nana’s tray was loaded with delicious Korean meals that she has long wanted to try. “Want to try some pastries?” The cashier asks as Nana hands her the money.

Nana was contemplating on what to try when suddenly the familiar breathy high-pitched voice caught her attention. “I recommend the strawberry one. It is a favorite of mine.”

Slowly, as if she already knows what to expect, she turns around and finds Arisa-Jiyong Kwon smiling cheerfully with that lovely disguise just few inches beside her. The shock made her stagger backwards making her bump against the tray of the person behind her.

“Hey watch it!” The stranger cries out as she ends up dropping her tray on the floor, wasted food and shards of broken plate and glasses scatters on the floor.

Nana knew she needed to apologize, but none of it mattered at the moment. Her eyes only register that fake façade in front of her. “Y-ou promised me…” she lets out with a strangled voice.

“Excuse me?” Jiyong asks innocently, as if he was genuinely confused.

‘Dara unnie….Dara unnie where are you?’ She looks around frantically for help but Dara was nowhere to be found. Just then, a hand takes hold on her arm. It was Jiyong, pulling her away from the angry girl that she has bumped into.

Panic rises from and in an instant; she thrashes her arm violently making her own tray drop on the floor. “DON’T TOUCH ME!” Her voice echoed across every corner of the cafeteria as she screams loudly.

Jiyong freezes. Everyone did.

All of the stunned stares were enough to consume Nana and so she covers her face, and ran towards the exit. Never looking back. Never wanting to come back

Nobody… nobody humiliates a Kwon. Ever.

Not until Nana Komatsu arrived, that is.


 

I know I have not updated for a very long time. Believe me when I say, that I am sincerely sorry for that. Long story short, I have been too busy for my final thesis. I needed to finish it on time or else I couldn't graduate! Luckily everything went well and so I am back in business. To anyone reading this, thank you so much for dropping by! You don't know how much this makes me happy. To make it up to those who waited, I have made a one shot featuring our lovely Jiyong Kwon! Just a little something to you all. (The link is just below this note.) See you on the next Chapter of Underneath it all!
--Iridescent Dreamer
P.S. Anyone excited to meet our other boys in BigBang? :)
Story Link:
http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/845015/2