If I was true to myself from the start.

If...

 

A month had passed by very swiftly and for the first time in my twenty years, I liked school.

Me liking school, I never thought that this day would come. It was the most depressing time of my life if you'd ask me. 

I was usually ignored by everyone in elementary school and middle school unless I was with Jihyun. Everyone avoided having conversations with me because I was beyond what they called 'normal'. Instead I was the mute girl, the fatty and the elephant.

And when they did talk to me, it was either because the teacher had put us in the same group for projects or because they didn't want to get Jihyun suspicious. 

 Even though I wasn't bullied physically, I felt like I'd rather be stabbed with multiple knives at once than being stabbed in the back by the people I called my friends.

I felt worthless because I wasn't perfect like Jihyun. I wasn't pretty like Jihyun. I wasn't outgoing like Jihyun. I was the complete opposite.

 I hated life at this point and I was severly depressed. I cried every single night and stopped eating all together in hope that I would lose weight and become prettier.

Now that I think about it, it was pretty stupid of me to feel depressed and starve myself as during high school, my baby fat melted away. I was also stupid for belittling myself. I was perfect the way I was.

How scary middle school can be...you believe every word you hear and you cannot overcome it no matter what you do because there would always be that one person who would still put you down. I don't know if all middle school students are like that, but mine certainly were. They were beyond evil. 

It was only during the 2nd year of high school, I recovered after having  a fresh start and having some new friends who didn't talk behind my back. However I still felt self conscious because those who weren't my friends would always say something against me.

But I got through school in the end without too much difficulty because of Jihyun. Even though at times I wonder why someone like her is my friend, why she risks her popularity hanging out with me, and why I cannot stop being jealous of her, I realised that she's the only friend I trust and the only one that would protect me no matter what.

She is truly a wonderful person. Usually the beautiful ones are ugly on the inside but Jihyun, she is beautiful both inside and out. I sometimes feel teary thinking about the things she had done for me all these years.

She's a friend when she stands up for me at school. She's a teacher when she tells me what to do and what not to do. And then she's a mother when I cry and she comforts me.

Where as I, I whine, cry and pester her 24/7.

But what makes me feel awful is the fact that she rarely complains despite all the trouble I caused her. Even now I feel guilty for depending on her too much but that's why, I hope that someday, I will be of help and repay her for everything. 

That's the least I can do.


 

"Want me to get you coffee? I'll pay for it so-"

"Shut up will you! She doesn't like you.", Mari scowled. 

"She likes boys though and I'm not a chicken so I'll make her like me."

"Chicken? What...Why are you like this-"

I liked college but this was probably the only thing I was uncomfortable about. His name was Boo Seungkwan and he was also a first year student in the architecture department. 

After my embarassing "I like boys!" confession, he wouldn't let me live. Every single day he would ask for my phone number and open the door for me in a very gentle-man like manner every time he saw me.

At first it made my heart pound as he was the first boy who had ever shown this much affection but now it was getting annoying as I felt like he was only teasing me. I mean why does he keep bringing back that dreadful incident?! I want to forget about it!!!

"What do you mean why am I like this-", Seungkwan started off before being interrupted. 

"What do you actually want from her?", Jihyun asked.

"Her phone number."

"I'm sorry but my wife doesn't hand out her number so recklessly."

"Reckless? Reckless?! Oh my God, are you kimbap kidding me?!"

"Eat your damn kimbap you fool. I need to hand in this project, stop distracting me.", Wonwoo yelled scoffing his lunch whilst typing away vigorously on his laptop. 

"Yah, I'm your best friend, stop treating me like this. Or I'm going to leave.", Seungkwan whined as he dramatically plopped a kimbap in his mouth. 

"Leave then.", Mari hissed.

"HUH?! What fake friends I have!"

"Oh yeah, have you guys paid for the trip next week? The final payment is due in today.", Mari stated ignoring Seungkwan. Ah I forgot to bring it...

"I have the money with me but  I need to finish this crap first so I'm going 10 minutes before the end of lunch.", Wonwoo sighed eyeing his laptop with discontent.

"Byul, what's with your face?", Mari asked noticing my grim expression.

"I forgot to b-bring it...."

"What?! What are you going to do? You can't pay tomorrow because there's no school! Do you have money on you?!", Mari exclaimed. I checked my bag and pockets but I didn't have a single penny. Why am I so stupid?

"Since you paid most of it last week, why don't you pay on the day of the trip? They can't really say no after taking your money-"

"I'll pay. 52,000 won right?. You can pay me back later. ", Wonwoo interrupted Mari.

"N-no it's fine, I feel bad-", I started off before he cut me. "It's okay. Just pay me back later. It would be a waste if you decide to pay after the deadline and not be able to go on the trip anymore. It's one week as well. You will miss out all the fun."

"Yeah, Wonwoo has a point. Let's not risk it.", Seungkwan stated. "Okay..." I mumbled.


"I'm coming with you guys as well!", Jihyun yelled over as Wonwoo and I decided to head to the finance office to give in our money. 

"Tch. Why am I stuck here with Seungkwan? Come quickly guys!", Mari whined. Seungkwan gave her a dramatic look before he ignored her and carried on eating. "Yes we will come quickly!", Jihyun laughed.

So in the end Wonwoo paid for me and I felt extremely bad but thankful at the same time since I was definitely sure that I was able to go on the trip. I was a little nervous about the trip since it was my first time leaving Seoul but since I was with friends, I knew I would have fun. I can't wait!

"Why did you guys take your time?! I suffered okay?!", Mari exploded as we made our way back to the piazza.

"We are sorry that you had to spend 5 minutes with Seungkwan.", Wonwoo pouted jokingly and in response Seungkwan gaped at us unbelievably. "I hate you guys."

"We love you though."


They were too much for me but even though it was only a month, I felt more at home than anywhere else. Everyone was nice despite the over teasing and joking around. 

The way we became friends is quite predictable. Since Mari sits next to me during the lectures, I got to know her pretty well including the fact that she is Wonwoo's step cousin and that she has 5 cats.

And through Mari and Jihyun, I got to know Wonwoo and Seungkwan. Wonwoo sits next to Jihyun and because of that, they became close. She introduced me to Wonwoo and he wasn't as scary as I thought he would be.

Instead, he is quite a soft hearted person and finds animals utterly cute. He has 3 dogs, 4 rabbits and 2 cats and I guess that it runs in the family as Mari and Wonwoo are both fond of pets.

I also love animals unlike Jihyun who's scared of them, but I find it extremely difficult looking after one since my dog passed away in elementary school. I never had a pet since then. 

Anyways Seungkwan, he is Wonwoo's best friend. Despite his teases, he's a very friendly and bright person. Even though he gets picked on by the rest, he never takes it to heart and never fails to make us laugh. 

I really started to enjoy school for the first time. I made friends with different people of different personalities and genders. Something I could never imagine doing a month ago. I am still lacking but I hope that during these years I would mature, open up and live my life to the fulliest without any regrets.


Live my life to the fulliest without any regrets....I thought things were getting better  but now looking back at it, this is where it all started to crumble down. Not middle school, not high school but college. Where I started to hurt the feelings of those around me, where I started to question my friendship, and where I denied my own feelings....it all started with one misake. The mistake of not being true to myself from the start. 

 

"I hope that someday, I will be of help and repay her for everything. 

That's the least I can do."

 

I never in my wildest dreams thought that me wanting to repay my best friend would result into this...into choosing bewteen

 

Jihyun's Happiness and my Happiness...


A/N: This chapter is a bit vague but you will understand hopefully in the following chapters. Thanks for reading!

Sassy Seungkwan XD I just love him to bits! >.<