If I said yes.

If...

 

4 years ago:

“Byul-ah, are you awake? Come and eat your breakfast”, my mum yelled from downstairs.

“I’m coming!”

 My mum never failed to surprise me.  It hadn’t even been half an hour since she woke up and she laid out a feast on the table.

“Omma, don’t you think that’s a little too much…”

“My girl is finally going to college, I should feed her well at least.”, she stated, pushing me to the table and forcing me to sit down.

“Eat this, and this. And oh, this-“ “Omma.” She stopped piling my plate with food and let out an exasperated sigh. “What now?”, she whined. “Omma, you are making me nervous.”

To be entirely honest, I wasn’t ready for this campus life. I had been a mummy’s girl for the whole 20 years of my life and I wasn’t prepared to leave her.

And I could definitely tell she wasn’t ready for it either. “Aw baby come here.”, she muttered, wrapping her arms around me. “You will be fine, trust me.”, she assured.

 “I don’t know…” “Jihyun is coming with you so it’s all good. But if you don’t feel good call me okay?” I nodded with a miserable pout as if I were a toddler being left with an unknown babysitter.

After stuffing every plate on the table, I somehow managed to calm down a bit.  My mum’s food is surely the best for stress-eating.  

I managed to say goodbye to my mum without it ending in tears and I was now at Jihyun’s doorstep. 

We were both neighbours for basically our whole lives. She was like a big sister, always clearing up my mess and knocking sense into my head. Without her I would pretty much be lost.

But it was pretty ironical, me being the older one and not the other way around.

The door opened shortly after and Jihyun’s mum appeared with kimchi covered hands. Only Korean mums.

“Byul!”, she greeted me with a broad smile and I smiled back in return.

 “Is Jihyun-“

That girl left with her dad, I don’t know where she went. I cooked her food and she didn’t eat it all. As soon as her dad calls her, she goes off without a word. She doesn’t respect her hard working mother at all. If she was like you, life would be easier....”, Jihyun’s mum jabbered and I could only smile in response.

If only she was in my mum’s position….

I left the apartment in a rush and I immediately called Jihyun. After the 3rd call, she finally picked up.

Before I started yelling at her, she bombarded with numerous excuses.

“Byul, I had to drop off this parcel because my dad forgot to. If I didn't, I would have had to pay a fine. And now there's traffic too, so I’ll be late but it’s fine, I’ll still make it by today.”

“By today?! Are you crazy, it's our first day! I don't even know where to go!"

"Just take the cab, I'll get there as fast as I can."

"But I....", I trailed off knowing that my reasons were petty. Jihyun noticed the silence and sighed.

"Look here Byul, you need to get used to this. You have to be more independent. It was fine in middle school and high school but we are in college now. We are adults and we have to take care of our own matters. I know it's hard for you but you have to open up." she adviced me.

 "..."

"Since I'm going to be late, why don't you make a friend at the campus? Yeah, that's a great idea!", Jihyun squealed.

"..." 

Will you stop with that? Fine, at least have a conversation with someone for 5 minutes."

"5 minutes?...."

"Argh, I give up with you! Be the 'mute girl' in college as well! It would be a miracle if you even utter a sound in front of someone. Anyways, I'll see you there.", she stated before hanging up. 

Anyone would think I was pathetic and clingy but it wasn't like that. During my elementary and middle school years, I was pretty chubby. Actually very chubby.

But my neighbour was Im Jihyun, the pretty and popular girl. And because she was my best friend, I wasn't tormented like the other kids.

So I had always been very thankful towards her but due to my naturally introverted personality, I wasn't the best at showing it. I sometimes wished I was never this shy.

Because meeting new people was a no no and going to new places on my own was definitely a no no. That was why I stuck with Jihyun because when I'm with her I don't feel scared. I feel protected.

I nervously climbed into the cab and hoped for the best.


The opening speech had finished and with directions, I headed to the architecture department for a lecture. 20 minutes into the talk, Jihyun was still not here.  I nervously fidgeted with my hands not daring to make eye contact with anyone.

It was even more nerve-wrecking as the majority of the students were males and since I went to a single middle school and high school, I wasn't very comfortable around them.

Right now, I felt the group of boys at the back of the room looking at me; smirking and grinning. I wanted to die right there and then.

As I was thinking of ways to hide, the door opened and my eyes sparkled hoping Jihyun would walk through and save me from this hell.

But it wasn't Jihyun. Infact, it was another male to add to the contribution and the worst part was that I made direct eye contact with him since my seat was near the doorway.

His eyes were sharp. Very sharp and very small. To put it bluntly, his eyes were scary. I immediately looked elsewhere.

"I'm sorry I'm late." he bowed at the lecturer, slightly panting. His voice is also..scary.

"Go and sit down. Don't be late next time.", the lecturer snapped in response.

I then felt him staring at me and I gulped. "Can I sit next to you?", he asked eyeing the chair next to mine.

My eyes briefly took a moment to analyse the room. There were only 3 seats left; the two seats in front of me and the one next to me. 

Why does he want to sit next to me when there are 2 empty seats right there? I didn't like this feeling... 

"Is that a yes or a no then?", he asked rather impatiently and when I didn't answer him, he sighed abruptly before adjusting his backpack and the pile of folders in his hand.  

He then dashed over to the two seats in front of me and threw his bag and his folders onto one chair before sitting down on the other at last.  

The door suddenly flung open and a girl with short hair and flashy clothes barged into the room. "Yah you sloth! How could you leave me there by myself-" 

However she stopped midway when she noticed the lecturer glaring at her. " Gong Mari. Not only are you re-doing the year, you come late and scream in my lesson.", the lecturer snapped.

"Ah come on Mr Jang, I have a valid reason for re-doing this year, don't be a heartless person.", the girl scrunched her face. "Fine. Just find a seat and be quiet."   

Without even thinking twice, I watched her stride towards the seat opposite me. The seat where the guy with the sharp eyes was sitting.

"Wonwoo...move that bag or else.", she hissed, her eyes on the chair beside his. "It's too heavy to move. Sit somewhere else."  "Yah, when are you going to stop being a sloth?! Is that how you are going to repay me?! You better-"

"Mari! Sit down. You are distracting the others.", the lecturer yelled and in response she let out a thunderous sigh.

Her eyes darted around the room and when she noticed the empty seat next to me, her eyes lit up like she had won the jackpot or something.

"Can I sit here?", she asked even though she had already slouched onto the chair, her bag and folder resting on the desk. 

"Y-yes...." 

I couldn't really say no since she already made herself comfortable and I didn't want to annoy anyone one the first day with my introverted personality. Especially a sunbae. 

The second I said yes, she immediately rotated her head to the boy opposite me. "Wonwoo! Yah! Sloth! Aish, this little prick-", she hissed as he continued ignoring her. 

"If you keep airing me, I'll come to your house every single day after school. You know what I will do right?"

I  didn't know what the hell was going on to be entirely honest. I mean I figured that they know each other and all but the fact that the sunbae kept pestering him was quite-

creepy.

As I sat like an egg trying not to pay any more attention to them, the door opened again. I assumed it was going to be anyone but Jihyun, yet here she was.

When Jihyun walked into the classroom, the classroom froze. Everyone stared at her in awe, not daring to blink.

Yes, that's right. She's wearing her dad's tracksuit and looks like she had just woken up from bed yet people acknowledged that her beauty is out of this world.

The boys gaped at her lustfully, love hearts forming in their eyes and the girls looked at Jihyun with envy. 

Even the lecturer didn't yell at her even though she was unbelievably late. Instead he accepted her apology with a smile. What nonsense is this? "Let's see, where can you sit?....", the lecturer questioned as his eyes flickered through the columns of chairs.

"Ah, you. Wonwoo. Remove your bag from the chair.", the lecturer pointed at the boy sitting opposite me.

"Huh? Oh... Y-yes sir.", Wonwoo muttered before reaching out his bag from the chair beside him and placing it under the desk in a quickened manner.

" Pft. The bag is not so heavy now huh? ", Mari hissed more to herself but it was loud enough for me to hear. 

Jihyun made her way to the chair and when she noticed me, she waved causing Wonwoo and Mari to avert their attention to me simultaneously.

I waved shyly not comfortable with the stares I was receiving and in response Jihyun giggled.

She then sat down and I couldn't help but feel disappointed that this was going to be our seats for the rest of the year. It meant that I couldn't sit with my best friend anymore. 

I watched Jihyun and she had already attempted talking to her new seat buddy, Wonwoo. " Is the lecture interesting? Since I missed most of it, I don't know what to expect.", she laughed. "Huh? Well...I only got here about 10 mins ago so I really don't know myself.", Wonwoo stated. "Oh really?" "Yeah."

It had only been a minute yet she was already talking, smiling and laughing. Whereas I, known as the Mute girl for the whole of my life was most likely not be able to get rid of that nickname. I sighed. If only I was like Jihyun....I could come out of my comfort zone...

As I was procrastinating about how perfect Jihyun was, an hour had passed just like that.

"Are you okay there? The pitiful look on face is like you are in a one sided relationship.", Mari snapped me out of my thoughts. 

"H-huh?..."

"I mean the way you look at her is different you know? I've been studying you for the past hour and you only look at her and no one else.", Mari grinned, leaning towards me with a disturbing smile. What's with her?....

"I d-don't understand what you mean-", I started off but her powerful voice took over mine. "Eyyyy! It's okay! You don't have to hide the fact that you like girls! You don't have to be uncomfortable-" 

"EHHHHH?! IT'S NOT LIKE THAT! I LIKE BOYS!", I shot out of my seat, flustered at Mari's words. Why on earth would she think that?!  However I failed to realise that I had startled everyone including myself at the loudness of my voice.

My face flushed as the boys cooed at my sudden confession and Jihyun gawked at me as if I was possessed. I immediately sat down, not daring to look at anyone in the eye.

"Ehem. I don't know what that was all about but since I'm in a good mood, let's forget and move on.", the lecturer raised his voice and then he averted his gaze back to the board.

"Whoa....I was just joking by the way.... I was not expecting that kind of reaction....", Mari snorted trying her best not to laugh. What kind of joke is that?! I want to die...I'm too embarrassed to even move....


Back then I didn't know. I didn't know I would fall in love with Wonwoo. I didn't know that Jihyun who by chance sat next to him would fall in love with him as well. I didn't know that I created this love triangle myself. It may not make a difference but even till this moment, all I could think of is, what if Wonwoo sat next to me and not Jihyun? Would that have changed anything? Would he have fallen in love with me instead? I feel pathetic for thinking like this when everything is too late....

 

"Can I sit next to you?"

"Yes."

 


 

A/N: Wonwoo is too cute for my life.