If...

If...

“The boys are ready. We should hurry.” the stylist walked in, after checking the room next door.

I nervously gulped as the makeup lady hurriedly curled my lashes and after dapping a little shade of pink blush on my cheeks, she stepped back.

“All done! You look beautiful.”, she beamed, eying me with a smile.

“Thank you.” I mumbled shyly before getting myself off the chair and to the mirror. 

I stared at my reflection in awe. My hair was slightly wavy and it was clipped back into a loose half ponytail. The makeup wasn’t heavy at all. It was subtle yet it gave me a look of freshness.  

Despite the wonderful efforts put in by the makeup artist and stylist, the dress was still beyond my imagination. It was of a cream colour, quite simple with no exquisite patterns and nothing out of the ordinary. But that was why it was the perfect dress. It made me shine.

“The bride looks beautiful! Oh my god!”, a group of bridesmaids suddenly squealed near the doorway and the stylist hushed them.

“Girls, be quiet! The groom’s next door. We can’t reveal anything yet!”

In response the bridesmaids giggled cheekily and I chuckled lightly at the scene.

“Wish they were all mature like you. “, the stylist grumbled before leaning in with a grin.

“So you remember what I told you right? About the bouquet?”, she asked wiggling her eyebrows and I immediately responded with an embarrassed sigh.

“Oh please...” “Well that’s what Jihyun wants. Anyways, I’m going to go and check up on her. Wait here yeah?” “Okay.”

The time was somewhat going slow. People had entered the church. Music flooded through each and every single room. Chatters and laughs were heard. Yet everything around me was still.  

“Are you okay?”, the bridesmaid on my right side nudged me.

“Huh? Yeah, I just feel a little drowsy.”

“Jang nim, do you have water?”, she asked the stylist.  “One sec.” After fishing in and out of bags, the stylist found a water bottle. 

“You okay Byul?”, she asked worriedly as she opened the cap for me. “Yeah, I’m fine.”  “It’s the weather, you will be fine once we get inside”

Just then, a group of photographers walked into the tent. “The groom and best man have gone in. Please tell the bridesmaids to be ready. We will tell you went to come inside.”  “Okay, girls, let’s line up!”

It’s finally going to happen…. The venue was now silent and I stood nervously behind the closed doors, my heart beat racing. “We’re opening the doors now.”

With that said, the doors slowly opened and the sudden exposure of flashing cameras and lights blinded me.

My eyes fluttering, I stepped onto aisle and every single head rotated in my direction. I swallowed briefly before taking my first step.

As I walked down the aisle, I eyed the venue in amusement.

The chairs were decorated with ribbons, the walls were decorated with fancy balloons, and the chandelier dangled elegantly in the midst of it all, radiating every single thing present.  

“Oh my god, look at Wonwoo. He’s going red!”, the bridesmaids giggled among themselves and my eyes immediately fixated on the man standing a couple of meters away from me.

Wonwoo. Jeon Wonwoo. The man I love.  He looked stunning. From his hair to his sharp eyes to his black suit, everything was perfect.  As if he sensed me staring at him, his eyes locked with mine and in return, he smiled brightly. His smile…is what I love the most.  My heart started to beat irregularly and my pace quickened.

Jeon Wonwoo. I love you. These 3 words have always been the death of me. For the past four years, I  could never tell you but if it’s now, I think I can. Wonwoo, I love you-

“Byul! Where are you going?!”, a voice hissed out of nowhere and I felt myself being pulled down.

I snapped out of my thoughts and found myself sitting on a chair. Surprised, I looked to my right and there sat moody Boo Seungkwan, the best man.

“Byul, look behind you. You see over there, you are supposed to be sitting there with the bridesmaids. What are you doing seriously? If it wasn’t for me, you would have crashed right into Jihyun!” he snapped.

However, I did not hear a single word that came out of his mouth.  My eyes were on Wonwoo only. I watched him as he took Jihyun’s hand with a shy smile and the crowd cheered like mad.

That’s right. He’s getting married today. And you see that beautiful girl he just lent his hand out to? She’s Jihyun. Wonwoo’s girlfriend of 2 years and my neighbour and best friend of 24 years. 

"Jeon Wonwoo, do you take Im Jihyun to be your wedded wife, to live together in marriage?  Do you promise to love her, comfort her, honour and keep her for better or worse, for richer or poorer, in sickness and health, and forsaking all others, be faithful only to her, for as long as you both shall live?”, the priest stated.

And Wonwoo? I met him on the first day of college. It wasn’t love at first sight, but it was something similar, I’d say. He made me feel special and he wasn’t like the other guys. He was genuine, funny and-

“Yes I do.”

I watched Wonwoo grip onto Jihyun’s hand tightly and the priest turned to face Jihyun.

“Im Jihyun, do you take Jeon Wonwoo to be your wedded husband, to live together in marriage?  Do you promise to love him, comfort him, honour and keep him for better or worse, for richer or poorer, in sickness and health and forsaking all others, be faithful only to him, for as long as you both shall live?”

“Yes I do.”

“You may now kiss the bride”.

Everyone around me stood up and whistled their heads off but all I could do for them was smile faintly.

Wonwoo leaned in to kiss Jihyun and she closed her eyes.  

At this precise moment, everything paused. I couldn’t hear anything. I couldn’t feel anything. Staring at the 1cm gap between their lips, the only thing I thought was

Would anything have changed if I said yes back then?