03 - Photograph

Defying Gravity
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Loving can hurt,

Loving can hurt sometimes, but it's the only thing that I know

When it gets hard, you know it can get hard sometimes

It is the only thing that makes us feel alive

 

We keep this love in a photograph. We made these memories for ourselves

Where our eyes are never closing, hearts are never broken, times forever frozen still

 

 

The sun finally makes its comeback after four days of the new semester. Having been prisoned by rain, the outdoors club start reappearing in every sides of the school to gain new members. The greeting festival for new students that have been delayed due to rain finally is conducted. As the regular members that belonged to the club, Chanwoo and Junhoe do their annual activity of promoting their club. For Chanwoo, it is no big deal to recruit new members since there would always be some nerd and genius students seeking for friends that definitely will suit the biology club. While Junhoe needs to work hard because the biggest number he could get into his glee club is only five per year.

Despite of being the final year student, Chanwoo still actively promotes his club with other members. Donghyuk, the newly-elected president of the club, is Chanwoo’s second bestfriend next to Junhoe and he would definitely do anything to help him.

“Have you filled the C form?” Donghyuk asked in the middle distributing brochures and pamphletes of Biology club. C form is the popular name for Counseling form, form that must be filled by the final year students. The form mainly concerns about where they will continue their study, what kind of major that they want, and scheduling test for individual skill and interest.

“I… haven’t, but I have decided what to fill.” Chanwoo smiled at the two fresh men that just visited their booth.

“Medical school?” Donghyuk raised one of his eye brows in curious, but his attention is still going everywhere to the passerbies in front of him.

Chanwoo nods, “I don’t think I could do well outside Biology,” he emphasised the word Biology while giving out one brochure to a girl that just passed by.

“As expected from Jung Chanwoo,” Donghyuk grins.

“What about Junhoe?” the question of Chanwoo’s roommate suddenly passed his mind.

Chanwoo naturally looks up to the glee club booth once that name was mentioned. He starts thinking that something goes wrong when Junhoe is nowhere to be found around the booth. That guy is insanely tall and his hair is brownish that  makes him stands out in the crowd.

Chanwoo shrugs his shoulders, “I don’t think he would continue studying. Perhaps he would be a trainee,” there’s a sadness inside Chanwoo’s voice that Donghyuk could hear.

“You don’t seem to like it.” Donghyuk straightforwardly states, to which Chanwoo nods in agreement.

“He’s more talented than he knew. To think of him being an idol, living that high-unpleasant life, building abs for woman to scream over him, and being clowned under that thick make ups makes me cringe. It’s just unfortunate.”

Donghyuk grows a father smile, “People have their own passion. What you’re good at sometimes is not the thing you want to live with for the rest of your life. That’s what makes us human. We’re never ever going to meet with satisfaction.”

“That’s right,” Chanwoo tilts his head again to find the top of Glee club’s booth but Junhoe is still nowhere to find. That guy usually is the loudest one to give out the brochures of his club and now the booth looks a bit strange and lonely without the presence of Junhoe.

“Dong, can I look for Junhoe? I’m afraid he has not made decision for the form,” the form needs to be submitted that day, that’s why Chanwoo gets no chills, “..I’ll come back once I found him.” he promised.

“Sure. Take your time."

 

-///////-

 

When all places at school seem to not give the clue on the existence of Gu Junhoe, the hall’s stage would always be the answer. Since the day Chanwoo opened the access to go there, Junhoe started feeding his courage and going there alone. The guy often goes there for practicing, singing his heart out, or even only daydreaming.  As if it is the back of his hand, Chanwoo knows very well what Junhoe is up to even though the latter didn’t tell him beforehand.

“Daydreaming?” Chanwoo enters the large and cold room only for few steps then stops. The smell of lemon from air freshener penetrates his nostrils giving him a welcoming feeling.

“Thinking,” Junhoe tonelessly answers.

Chanwoo slips both hands inside his pockets and sees Junhoe sitting on the stage while looking at piece of paper that he is familiar with. The C form.

"Don't you know what to write already?" he said, to which Junhoe only shrugs his shoulders.

Chanwoo starts taking his steps walking down the stairs before filling one of the empty seats in the front as usual. As soon as he crosses his legs, he finds a photograph scattered near the trash that placed on the edge of the audience row. A man with woman smile happily in the photo while holding a toddler that Chanwoo assumed is their son.

“Someone throws this away,” he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter