NYC

Limelight

    Kat did not like kpop. She had never heard of BTS. Kat was very confused as to how she ended up standing the second row of the pit section in the Playstation Theater, while her best friend Hana screamed like a banshee. Hana had promised her a trip into New York for her 18th birthday. The longer Hana screamed the less Kat felt that this trip was for her birthday, and more that Hana had just wanted to see someone named Sugar.

    When the concert started Kat was propelled into the people in front of her. Everyone was pushing and shoving. The first row expanded, and Kat found herself against the rail to the far left of the stage. The songs had a good beat, a good mix of rap and vocals. The dancing was a lot better than what she had expected from a boy group. By the end of the concert Kat was thoroughly enjoying herself.

    After the song ended and the lights came on Kat searched out Hana. Hana was grinning, “Wasn’t that amazing?” She exclaimed. “Now comes the real exciting part!” Kat looked at her puzzled. Giggling Hana held up her own wrist with a blue band, and the lifted Kats. “These are for hi-touch!”

    Kat nodded pretending to understand. “We get to give them hi-fives.” Hana explained with a roll of her brown eyes. Hana let out a squeal “Oh my goodness does my hair look ok? What about my make-up? “ Kat was dragged to a very crowded bathroom behind an eager Hana.

    The bathroom was filled with chatter, perfume, and powder. Girls in front of the mirrors were throwing elbows in order to get the view needed to reapply lipstick or mascara. There was the occasional “Did you hear that Hobi found his soulmate?” And someone else would reply with “of course! It was that drama actress, they look amazing together.” Another piped up adding in. “It’s totally Taehyung, That was just a rumor to throw us off the trail.”

    Kat giggled at the ridiculousness of the conversation. Unfortunately this drew the attention to her. One small girl looked Kat up and down with a little smirk. “What’s your opinion on vhope?” She folded her arms in front of her and cocked her hip the the side awaiting a response.

    Kat fumbled for a moment, “Isn’t his happiness more important than who is soulmate is?” Kat opted for a diplomatic response. This didn’t seem to impress the girl infront of her. “Uh, I mean of course he would be happier with Taehyung.” Kat added, earning a smile and a nod of approval of the group.

    Hana finished touching up her look, by coating herself, and everyone else, in a thick layer of hair spray. Coughing Kat followed her out to the lobby where people with wristbands had started to line up.

    A few minutes later the volume in the room grew as the doors opened and people began to shuffle inside. Once through the doors we were instructed to walk single file past a table where the members of BTS were standing. The members of security would reach out and touch the arm or elbow of any girl who stopped moving to try to talk, some more forceful than others. When the time came for Kat and Hana to greet the boys Hana went first, Jumping a little as she hi-fived them each. When she saw her Suga she dropped into a deep bow nearly hitting her head on the table. At this pause in movement Kat let her hand linger on the member before Suga. Hana hopped on to the next member, and s    quealed out “Kookie!” Causing the poor boy to jump at the sudden volume.

    As Kat gently hi-fived the boy called Kookie she gave an apologetic look and mouthed sorry. The boy grinned and nodded.

Outside the venue girls chattered away about how soft and warm their hands were. Hana grabbed Kat’s hands and jumped around in a circle screaming about how she had touched sugar. Abruptly Hana stopped and yanked Kat’s arm up so her wrist was at eye level “What’s this?” Hana looked at Kat and back at her wrist before her free thumb and rubbing it firmly against Kat’s wrist.

“Eh! Hana that’s gross. What is wrong with you.” She pulled back her arm and wiped it against her jean shorts. Pulling it back to inspect her wrist, where she found a small black music note.” She stared at it before using her own thumb to try to rub away the mark. “No, No, no no no!”

Hana covered Kat’s mouth quickly. “Just the post concert depression setting in. It’s her first kpop concert.” Hana explained. She turned back to Kat and whispered “Not here. Do you want to be mobbed? Wait until we get back to the hotel room.”

Kat nodded, obediently. The cab ride back to the hotel was nearly silent. Only the radio and the heavily accented chatter from the driver filled the air.

Once in the room Kat sat down and started sobbing. “There? How will I ever know? Most of the men there were foreign. If it’s a member of the staff we may never see each other again. What if it’s a girl? Not that there’s anything wrong with that? Just not my cup of tea.”

“Oh calm down.” Hana said motherly. “You have some money saved up, right?

Kat nodded, siffling. “Yeah, It is for a 2 week trip to Japan.”

“Good.” Hana began to pace. “You have through the 27th off right?”

“Yeah, we are going to meet my mother in North Carolina.”

“Change of plans. Let’s follow BTS!” Hana nearly screamed.

“Shush! It’s late and the walls are thin. Not to mention you are out of your mind.” Kat scolded.

“If your soulmate works on the tour, it’s the best way to see them again.” Hana continued with a knowing grin.

“Fine, book the tickets.” Kat fished out her debit card and passed it to her friend. “Wait, isn’t the concert sold out? It’s all you talked about for weeks.”

Waiving Kat’s card in the air, “Ah ah ah, my friend. I have my ways.” She hopped on one bed and the off to pull out her tablet. “Resalers. Yeah, We will be paying close to $900 for 2 hi-touch tickets, but I think it’s worth it.” She sent Kat a questioning glance. “Do you think your soulmate is worth it?”

Kat fell back on the bed with a groan and covered her eyes, “Just do it.”



 

    Jungkook was very thankful that he was the first person to spot the small black mark on his arm. The makeup was still covering it pretty well. It was only a small black mark, almost bruise like. It would be easily hidden by a little extra concealer, or a wristband. He immediately threw on a hoodie. It felt a little gross having the thick material resting against his sweat slicked skin. Dismissing the thought he threw up the hood and exited the back door to the waiting van. He grinned and waved at the fans, eyes secretly looking for a glimpse at a wrist that bore the same marking as his own.

    Once back in their hotel Jungkook sought out Jin. He knocked on the door, and hoped that the sound of the shower was caused by Yoongi. Thankfully Jin was the one who opened the door. His hair was wet and he wore a town around his neck. With a smile he ushered Jungkook inside.

    Jungkook sat himself down on Jin’s bed, and Jin took up a spot on Yoongi’s and went to work on drying his hair. Jungkook wasted no time. With a deep breath he exhaled, “I think I met my soulmate.” He showed off his wrist, pulling up the sleeve of his thin long sleeved shirt..

    Jin dropped the towel and grabbed his arm, inspecting it closely. Jin picked up the slightly damp towel and rubbed it across Jungkooks wrist. He looked up with serious eyes. “This had better not be a joke.”

    Jungkook shook his head, “It’s not. I promise.”

    At that moment there was loud knocking coming from the door. Yoongi threw open the bathroom door with a bang. He pulled open the door wearing only a thin white towel.  Hoseok threw himself into the room “Hyungs! Jimin used all the hot water. Let me shower here?”

    Jin gave permission, and yoongi grumbled, but grabbed his close to get dressed in the room. Once the shower was running, there was another knocking. This time Taehyun looking for Jungkook and Jimin looking for Hoseok. This is how six grown boys ended up sitting on two double beds with wet hair. Five talking about the mark on Jungkook’s wrist, and Yoongi napping.

    “What about a tattoo? Nothing huge or really covering it. Just big enough for it not to be a soulmark.” This suggestion came from Hoseok.

    “Well we don’t have to do anything right now, except sleep.” Stated Jin trying to calm everyone down. There was a muffled agreement from Yoongi, who wrapped his arms around Jimin’s waist and rolled over to spoon.

    “Tomorrow we are flying to Dallas. The day after we perform. We have a short break and a little more free time between Dallas and Chicago, but we still have some filming to do. Too busy to worry about this now. Now shoo.” Jin stood and ushered everyone, excluding a helpless Jimin and sleeping Yoongi. At the door Jin gave Jungkook a hug. “Try not to worry about it too much. They will be back.”

    Jungkook nodded, “I guess you’re right. I don’t understand how you can stand being apart. I want to find them and never let them go. It’s an odd urge. I don’t even know who it is.”

    Jin chuckled, “We aren’t that far apart. In one way he is always with me.” As if on queue the door knob to the adjoining room began to shake before it popped off with a clatter.

    “Jin.” Namjoon called out. “Can you let me in?”

    With a small roll of his eyes Jin walked back toward his bed to open the door connecting the two rooms. “Joonie, I missed you.” He cooed.

    Namjoon pulled Jin into his arms and the back into his room. Slightly disgusted Jungkook closed the door and returned to the room that he was sharing with Taehyung. Rather than focusing on Namjoon and Jin, or his soulmate he tried his best to focus his dreams on Dallas.