▁▁▁▁▁▁▁Undead.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Look, Jae. Look! Aren't they just the cutest little boots you've ever seen? There's so adorable, I couldn't resist. Look. I couldn't make up my mind between the blue stripes, the blue plaids, or the solid blue so I just bought two of each... and then the nice cashier lady thought I was gifted with twins. Oh, I wish it was twins... but it doesn't matter. It really doesn't matter. I'm so glad they heard our wish. We only get one chance. I was so scared and anxious... but the long wait was worth it. Everything... everything was worth it."

She is happy. She is so happy... that it gives him great pain to see her smile and laugh outside the safety of her bubble. Outside... only to be forced back in. How does he tell her? How does he tell her that the fruit of their child had been cut. Cut clean from the tree of life prematurely? How does he tell her? By her own family and friends, no less. Those who have taken her hand and smiled upon her. If she knew... what will happen if she knew? All her faith in them... all her faith in humanity will vanish in an instant. He will lose her... for sure.

"It's still a long while, Lingling." Very long. Forever long. Only one chance. Only one. And it had passed.

"Not as long as before. Nothing can compare to the wait before."

"Lingling, come here for a second."

"Not right now, Jae. I have to put these away first. Somewhere safe and clean and then I—"

"Lingling... there's something I have to tell you." It is better to lose faith in one loved one than lose faith in many loved ones. That is what he has decided. Is it right? No... of course not... but...

"Jae, let me just—"

"If he is born, he will be a cripple. Lingling... a cripple." Her back is turned. He can see her hesitation.

"It doesn't matter. I want him, Jae. I want him."

"You will be condemning him to a hapless future, Lingling. He will suffer... his entire life, he will suffer. Do you understand?"

"I will make it up to him. I will love him ten times more... twenty times more... a hundred times more. Jae... won't that be enough? Won't that be enough compensation? I want him, Jae. I still want him."

"He will not be happy, Lingling. What will happen to him when you're gone... when we're gone? He will surely regret. He will surely hate."

"He will have other friends and family. The world is full of kind people. Surely it cannot be—"

Her beautiful dreams. Her happy illusions. Must he be the one to break them? Must he? Good people in the world... yes... there must be good people in the world. Surely. The world is full of kindness. "Lingling... I cut the stem. The fruit... it's over. You don't have to wait anymore." No more waiting. No more.

"What are you saying, Jae? I..." She laughs nervously. "Today is April Fool's, right? Are you getting back at me for bothering you with the boots and the hats? You must be tired for work. I'll get a hot bath ready for you and some dinner. You haven't had dinner yet, right? I'll get that ready and—"

No more waiting. No more.