CONFESSION

Code 543

Location: Room 61, Seoul National University Hospital
Time: Thursday, 6:01 pm

“Stop running boys!” Youngmin shouted as the members ran past him. He shook his head with a smile at the thought of how worried they were about Chanyeol. Tao was the first to reach Chanyeol’s room and almost broke the door down to get inside, pushing the handle at the last moment. He stopped suddenly, causing the other members to crash into the back of him.

Chanyeol was sitting up in his bed but his eyes were closed and his body was still. Baekhyun’s head was buried into Chanyeol’s arm, sleeping. The room was too quiet for Chanyeol to have woken up. The members looked at each other, wondering if someone had made a mistake. “His breathing tube is out,” Xiumin whispered. As Kai approached the bed, Chanyeol’s eyes slowly opened. Startled, Kai froze in place, his heart racing. “Chanyeol?” he whispered.   

“Chanyeol?” Kris whispered again. Chanyeol’s eyes blinked a few times before he lifted his head up and smiled. “Chanyeol!” all of the members shouted together as they ran up to his bed. Sehun was the first to get there – wrapping his arms around Chanyeol’s shoulders and pressing a kiss to his temple. Chanyeol let out a weak laugh before hugging Sehun back. Each of the other members took turns giving Chanyeol a hug. Tao was second to last and practically squished Chanyeol with a huge bear hug. Suho had to pry him off eventually because Tao did not want to let go. Lay was much calmer and gave Chanyeol a soft, prolonged hug.

Chanyeol settled back onto his pillows, rolling his eyes, “Man..”, he croaked, “not you guys too. Baekhyun already soaked me with his tears.” The members choked as they tried to laugh and cry at the same time. Luhan glanced over at Baekhyun, “how long has he been asleep?” as he walked over to put a blanket over Baekhyun. “Not too long, about 30 minutes,” Chanyeol replied, running his hand fondly through Baekhyun’s hair. “Is he okay? He looks so tired and upset.” “Well he hasn’t been sleeping much the last week,” Suho answered, “but you gave all of us a hell of a scare. How are you feeling?” “Honestly?” Chanyeol asked, “like I’m trying to breathe in water.” “So…not good,” Suho stated.

 It was true that the medications that Chanyeol was on were helping to block a lot of the soreness and tension in his chest and lungs but he still found himself struggling to take in deep breaths now and then. He had a constant headache and felt very anxious even though he could not think of a reason why. He knew the members were very worried and already felt embarrassed so he plastered on a wide smile, “So! What have I missed? Xiumin, did your new song come out yet?”

————

Baekhyun woke up several hours later to the sound of Chanyeol coughing. He glanced upwards and took a sigh of relief to see Chanyeol still alive. “Hey sleepy head,” Sehun teased. Baekhyun got up and sat down next to Sehun who was watching an action movie on the floor. “How long have you guys been here?” Baekhyun asked. “A few hours.” “Why didn’t someone wake me up?” Baekhyun whined. “Because we know you are exhausted,” DO chimed in. “Chanyeol’s sheets were doing a good job at mopping up your drool. If we thought he was going to drown we would have woken you up.” Chen added jokingly. “Guys, leave him alone. Chanyeol asked us to not wake you Baekhyun,” said Suho. “So you got to talk to him?” “Yes,” Suho replied, “briefly before he fell back asleep.” After a moment of silence Lay said, “So..you know we have a fan signing tomorrow right?” As a look of disappoint crossed Baekhyun’s face he said, “Oh, I forgot.” Baekhyun had been so worried about Chanyeol he completely forgot. His stomach began to ache at the thought that he wanted to see the fans but he also did not want to leave Chanyeol. Grabbing Baekhyun’s arm, Lay said “He’ll be okay Baekhyun.”

———————————————————–———————————————————–

Location: Room 61, Seoul National University Hospital
Time: Friday, 9:44 pm

After the fan signing, Suho returned to the hospital to talk to Chanyeol. He tapped on the door and entered quietly, trying to not wake Baekhyun up. Chanyeol’s eyes opened slowly and Suho smiled. “Hi, I did not mean to wake you up,” he whispered. “You didn’t, how did the signing go?” “It went well,” Suho replied, “the fans were happy to see us and asked about you. I think Baekhyun feel asleep towards the end. He was so tired.” “Yeah, I guess he came in when I was asleep. I didn’t have the heart to wake him up,” Chanyeol added.

“Aww..” Suho pulled a chair up next to Chanyeol’s bed and sat down. He looked at Chanyeol and frowned. “Are you okay Chanyeol?” Reaching out his thumb to Chanyeol’s cheek he added, “You look paler than normal.” Chanyeol shrugged his shoulders, “I’m just a little dizzy. I think the drugs may be wearing off.” “So…why are you here so late?”

“Chanyeol, it’s only 9:45,” Suho chuckled, “I thought that I would come take Baekhyun’s place tonight. It’s about time he starts sharing and lets the rest of us get some alone time with you.” Lightly laughing Chanyeol replied, “I’m happy that you’re here hyung.”

“Hey Chanyeol, there’s actually something that I wanted to talk to you about.” Suho hesitated, “I am so sorry. I should have noticed that you weren’t feeling well and I didn’t.”  “It’s not your fault hyung!” Chanyeol said surprised, “I should have told you and the other members. I am an adult and I should have acted like one.”

“So…why didn’t you then?” Suho asked. “I…I was going to after the arena concert..I didn’t want you to worry and mess things up for the members.” “Do you remember passing out Chanyeol?” “I only remember finding it very hard to breathe after we performed Drop That.” “Chanyeol! You shouldn’t have kept jumping if you were having trouble breathing!” “But that is my DJ time hyung! I had to! I didn’t want to let the fans down. Oh gosh they didn’t see me pass out did they?!”

“No,” Suho shook his head, “you passed out back stage after the concert. We were walking to the vans and you started struggling to breathe which caused you to fall backwards off of the loading deck,” Suho shuddered, “The hyung managers wouldn’t let any of the members near you but Baekhyun shoved his way to the front when they weren’t looking. You were unconscious and bleeding from where you hit your head during the fall.”

Chanyeol was mortified, “Oh! I passed out in front of everyone?” Suho nodded. “But the worst part was when the paramedics arrived and your heart…” he swallowed thickly, “Chanyeol…your heart stopped and they…” Chanyeol reached for Suho’s arm to stop him, “I’m sorry hyung,” he whispered. Suho could no longer control his emotions. He buried his head into the bed and began sobbing uncontrollably.

———————————————————–———————————————————–

Location: EXO Dorm 
Time: Four weeks later

“Can I get you anything Chanyeol? Milk? Rice?” Baekhyun asked. Chanyeol groaned, “Will you stop. Please!" Baekhyun crossed his arms, frowning, “The doctor said that you needed extra fluids and rest Chanyeol. I’m just trying to help. Do you want me to bring you your keyboard?” “Not right now Baek. Just give me a break.” Instantly concern, Baekhyun sat down next to Chanyeol and put his hand against Chanyeol’s forehead, “You don’t want to play with your keyboard? Are you feeling sick again?” Chanyeol whined, slapping Baekhyun’s hand away. “No! I’m just tired!” “You do feel kind of warm Chanyeol..” “Suho!!” Chanyeol yelled. Suho popped his head around the corner, “What’s wrong? Do you need something to drink Chanyeol?” “No! Ugh! Hyung please tell Baekhyun to chill the hell out! I’m not just going to fall on the floor and die!” Baekhyun suddenly stood up and stomped out of the room, slamming his bedroom door upstairs. “Great…” Suho muttered.

“What is all the shouting about?” DO asked, “Are you alright Chanyeol? Do you need anything?” With that, Chanyeol jumped to his feet, “Will you guys stop treating me like a child!” “I’m sick of you hovering over me all of the time!” He picked his blanket up and stormed out to the back porch. “Where is Chanyeol going?” Sehun asked as he walked downstairs. With a sigh, Luhan stood up and said “I’ll go talk to Baekhyun. Sehun, you go talk to Chanyeol.” 

————

Luhan gently tapped on Baekhyun’s bedroom door as he walked in. Baekhyun was lying face down on his bed with his face buried into his pillow. “Leave me alone,” Baekhyun growled. Luhan sighed. He knew this was going to happen sooner or later with how stressed out all of the members have been over Chanyeol. Baekhyun was still trying to cope with what happened and feared the worse. Chanyeol was frustrated because he hated knowing the members were worried about him and felt smothered by them. “Baekhyun, you know Chanyeol did not mean to hurt you when he said that.” “Really?” Baekhyun asked. Luhan sat on the bed and touched Baekhyun’s back, “Really, and you know that. Chanyeol doesn’t understand what it’s like to watch someone die.” Trying to hold back his tears, Baekhyun lifted his head and pointed to his heart, “it hurts, right here.”

————

“What do you want Sehun?” Chanyeol said, pouting his lips as Sehun closed the door. “To talk to you, hyung,” Sehun replied, sitting down on the steps next to him. After a moment Chanyeol replied, “I’m sorry for yelling at the members. I know you guys love me and are just trying to take care of me. I’m just tired of being smothered.” “Can you really blame us though Chanyeol? We watched you die multiple times.” Chanyeol looked up at Sehun, “What are you talking about?” “We were there Chanyeol…when you died…all of us.” “We stood there and watched as they shocked your heart. Have you ever seen someone be shocked Chanyeol? It’s not something you can just…forget…” Sehun said, moving his gaze to the wooded area behind the dorm. “All we could do was watch. We felt helpless. So I am sorry Chanyeol but I think that we should be allowed to fuss over you a little.” Sniffling, Chanyeol nodded and approved of his point.

———-

As Chanyeol approached his bedroom, he heard Baekhyun and Luhan talking. “It feels like he doesn’t even care what he put us through. We didn’t know if he would live or die.” “I know,” Luhan soothed. “I'm scared Luhan. I’m so scared that he’s going to pass out again but this time he won’t wake back up.” Chanyeol bit his lip, hating how much pain he could hear in Baekhyun’s voice. He opened the door and said, “I won’t, I promise.” Startled, Baekhyun and Luhan looked up. “I’m going to go. I think you two should talk,” Luhan said as he made a beeline for the door. As Luhan shut the door, Chanyeol walked over to Baekhyun and joined him on the bed. “Are you crying again puppy?” he asked as he softly touched Baekhyun’s cheek, “I’m sorry. I really hate seeing you cry, especially over me.” “That’s all I ever do these days it seems,” Baekhyun replied. They both shifted so that they were sitting side by side against the headboard, knees touching.

“So…”

“So…”

Chanyeol looked down at his hands, unsure of what to say to Baekhyun. He thought that an apology might be a good place to start. “I’m sorry for yelling at you earlier. I didn't say that to try to hurt you. I can’t imagine what you went through, seeing me die.” Baekhyun shivered as he closed his eyes. “It was very insensitive for me to say that and I really am sorry Baekhyun.” “All of the members have been so kind to me, trying to take care of me. I couldn’t have gotten better without you guys. Suho told me that you never left my side when I was in the hospital. Thank you for being my best friend puppy.”

“It’s a tough job, but someone has to do it,” Baekhyun said with a light smile. Chanyeol smiled back and leaned his head into Baekhyun’s shoulder. Baekhyun wrapped his arm around Chanyeol and hugged him close. “Can I tell you something Chanyeol?”

“Of course.” Baekhyun bit his lip, “When you were in the coma, I realized something.” “What?” Chanyeol asked. “With longer hair and a touch more of make up, you would make the prettiest girl in Seoul.” Chanyeol gasped, “what?!” Baekhyun broke into laughter as Chanyeol started hitting him with a pillow. It quickly turned into rolling around and giggling. Chanyeol was weak but he was still able to pin Baekhyun down. Baekhyun flipped on top of Chanyeol so that the smaller of the two was on top. Chanyeol laid back into the pillows as Baekhyun laid his head down onto his chest. Baekhyun felt so warm and happy, a feeling he had not known since Chanyeol passed out. He wrapped his arms tight around his best friend, hugging him.

“I love you,” he whispered.

“I love you too,” Chanyeol whispered back.

“Don’t leave me.”

“I won’t”