SNOWFLAKES

Code 543

Location: EXO Dorm
Time: Late December (Past)

“Hey Baekhyun, will you listen to this new mixtape that I made?” “Another one? Why don’t you ask DO to listen to it?” “Because he just throws it on his desk and never listens to it.” “Ugh, fine,” Baekhyun said while rolling his eyes. “Okay! Here’s the first song. It’s called Two Moons,” Chanyeol said as he searched for the song on his lap top. The music began to play and Baekhyun tried to listen to the beat rather than focus on the lyrics.

“Roll like a buffalo…welcome to the night…selected VIP wouldn’t it be mind-blowingly awesome. Now we’re on a rock rock rocket, just gotta keep your seatbelt fastened…”

“Buffalo’s don’t roll Chanyeol,” Baekhyun interrupted.”Shh! Just listen!”

“No you’re not gonna shoulda woulda this and coulda woulda that cuz we’re never coming back to this trap. See those two full moons, you’re the chosen knight, go and spread good news, cuz we got no time.”

After the music cut off Chanyeol asked proudly, “So what did you think?!”

“Uh…I think we need to get you out of the house…” Baekhyun replied hesitantly, “Get up, we’re going to go for a walk.” “Okay!” Chanyeol said. He was up and on his feet racing to put his shoes on, leaving Baekhyun sitting there thinking he had just been conned.

-------------

This was the first time since getting out of the hospital that Chanyeol had really been allowed to leave the dorm outside of official business. The happy smile on his face was enough to make Baekhyun feel less guilty about lying to the managers about where they were going. Baekhyun insisted on Chanyeol wearing full winter clothes. He had chosen his favorite black Supreme hoodie, jeans, and boots. He even grabbed his fluffy hat with the cat ears, much to Baekhyun’s embarrassment. They weren’t going anywhere special – just to the abandoned field behind their dorm. Baekhyun thought that this would be a safe place where fans wouldn’t turn up. He just wanted to relax and spend time alone with Chanyeol in private; something they had not done since Chanyeol got home.

They set off down the sidewalk, nearly losing their footing a couple of times on the ice and snow. Giggling like school girls, they quickly made their way to the field, trying to avoid being spotted by the locals. They decided to sit under the shelter of the abandoned barn to escape the falling snowflakes. Baekhyun opened the blanket that he brought and laid it down on the ground. They both sat down as Chanyeol popped hand warmer bags and handed one to Baekhyun to keep them warm.

Chanyeol was the one to start up a conversation – about the movie School of Rock - of all things. Chanyeol was obsessed with that movie. Ever since he saw it he always had to comment on how he thought Jack Black’s character should have chosen Zack to be on the drums instead of Freddy. Baekhyun listened indulgently, occasionally making a comment or noise to show that he was listening. Chanyeol paused in his story for a moment when a stray chicken started walking into the barn. He quietly called at the chicken in hopes of it getting close enough for him to touch but the chicken was more interested in some old seed in the barn. Baekhyun was so tempted to record Chanyeol calling out to this chicken but he was too distracted watching to reach for his phone. Chanyeol finally gave up trying to touch the chicken and sat back down on the blanket.  

“It’s starting to flurry, do you want to build a snowman?” Chanyeol asked. Baekhyun nodded as they both stood up and walked into the field. “Oh,” Chanyeol said suddenly, catching his breath as he tilted his head back. Baekhyun looked up as a falling snowflake fell onto his forehead. As the flurries started falling faster, Baekhyun could feel them hitting his eye lashes. He blinked, shifting his gaze to Chanyeol who was still looking up. Chanyeol’s mouth was open and he was sticking his tongue out trying to catch the snowflakes. It was the most adorable thing Baekhyun had ever seen.

Chanyeol lowered his head, tongue back in his mouth, as he looked down at Baekhyun with the happiest smile on his face. His face was lit up in wonder and Baekhyun was mesmerized. Suddenly, a snowflake fell onto Chanyeol’s nose, slowly melting. Baekhyun couldn’t resist – he stood on his tip toes and rubbed their noses together. Chanyeol breathed in quietly upon the contact but he didn’t pull away, leaving Baekhyun shivering. His nose felt so soft…so cold… he thought as he did it again and again. Chanyeol’s breath smelled like sweet coffee. Baekhyun pulled back slowly. Chanyeol’s eyes were wide – “Uh..” Baekhyun stuttered. Embarrassed, he took a step back from Chanyeol. Holy , what the hell had he just done? What’s wrong with him?

“Did…did you just give me an Eskimo kiss?” Chanyeol asked stunned. “Um…yes?” Baekhyun replied shyly. “Huh…” Chanyeol said faintly. “Okay?” Baekhyun asked, fidgeting. “Yeah…okay…” Chanyeol said hesitantly. Sounding dazed he added, “that was…interesting…” “you’ve never done that before…”

“I’m sorry, just forget it happened okay?” Baekhyun said as he turned and started walking back to the dorm.  

----------

They walked through the front door - arm in arm – giggling, about three hours later. What started out as slowly falling flurries turned into a massive snow storm. Taking advantage of their time out, Baekhyun and Chanyeol engaged in snowball fights, snow angels, and shoving each other into the snow piles. They were so hyped from their adventure outside but it would soon be interrupted.

“Where the hell have the two of you been?! Suho yelled angrily, walking into the common room. “We went for a walk hyung,” Baekhyun replied, the smile falling from his face. Suho looked livid, “for three hours?!” “Yeah…what’s the big deal?” Baekhyun asked.

“Oh I don’t know Baekhyun. Maybe I was a little surprised when hyung manager called asking if you had returned from the market and I sounded like an idiot because I had no idea that you had even left!!” “You didn’t leave a note and no one had seen or heard from either of you since this morning!” “You didn’t answer your phones and there is a ing blizzard outside!”

Chanyeol and Baekhyun both pulled out their phones to check – both of them had several missed calls and text messages. “We have been worried sick! We thought something had happened to you two!” Suho snarled. “We even called all of the hospitals nearby to see if either of you had been admitted!”

Baekhyun winced, “Okay, I’m sorry hyung. We just lost track of the time.” “Don’t let it happen again!” Suho yelled as he slammed the door to the common room. “I guess I should go talk to him,” Baekhyun said with his head low. “Don’t worry about it puppy, I’ll go talk to him.” He pulled his hoodie off and then turned to pull Baekhyun into a surprise, long hug. “Thank you,” he whispered, pressing a light kiss to Baekhyun’s cheek.

----------

Chanyeol knocked on Suho’s door but heard no reply. Rolling his eyes, he knocked again and slowly opened the door. Suho was sitting at his desk reading through a manuscript for his upcoming movie. “I don’t have anything else to say to you right now Baekhyun.”

“First of all, it’s Chanyeol not Baekhyun. And secondly, you don’t have to say anything but you do need to listen hyung.” Suho turned around in his chair and looked at Chanyeol, annoyed. Chanyeol closed the door and sat down next to Suho on his bed. His expression was apologetic but his eyes were screaming happy. Suho found it very hard to continue being angry at Chanyeol, especially since it was Baekhyun he was actually mad at.

“I’m sorry hyung,” Chanyeol said, “we shouldn’t have lied to hyung manager and we should have told you or at least another member where we were going.” “We didn’t mean to worry everyone, we just wanted to have a good time in the field.” “You don’t need to apologize Chanyeol; Baekhyun was the one who…” Chanyeol held his hand up with a firm expression on his face, “Please think long and hard before you continue with that statement.” “You may or may not have noticed but I have been stuck in this house for weeks going absolutely insane. The only thing Baekhyun is guilty of is being too nice. Okay, yes, we should have left a note or something and I understand why you are so worried given my current health situation but hyung you are going to have to learn to trust that Baekhyun and I can handle ourselves out in the public without you watching over us constantly.”

“Even though we live together we still live separate lives outside of the group,” Chanyeol added. “I know and I am sorry for worrying…” Chanyeol laughed huskily, “don’t ever apologize for worrying hyung. We know that you care about us and just want us to be safe.”  

“I know I overreacted; I’m sorry Chanyeol,” Suho said with a sigh. “I’m sorry too. Are we still friends?” he said as he held out his arms. Suho couldn’t help but smile and accept Chanyeol’s offer for a hug. “Always,” he replied, “now go wash up, you smell like a farm animal.” Chanyeol grinned as he got up and headed for the door, “Okay mom.”

-----------

After making the rounds to all of the other members to apologize for worrying them, Chanyeol walked into the bathroom and closed the door behind him. He gripped his cheeks and slowly sank to the floor, letting out a shaky breath. Chanyeol re-played the events of that day though his head. His heart started pounding when he remembered that moment in the field when Baekhyun leaned in. For a moment, Chanyeol thought that Baekhyun was going to kiss him…and didn’t see an objection to it. In fact, Chanyeol felt slightly hurt when Baekhyun didn’t.

But that Eskimo kiss…Chanyeol blushed just thinking about it. When had Baekhyun started evoking these kinds of feelings in him? Why was he shivering so nervously? Yes, they were close and of course Chanyeol would do anything for him but…

Chanyeol rubbed his head in confusion. He never thought for a moment about kissing Baekhyun until now. The thought of one of the other members kissing him grossed him out. So why in that moment in the field had Chanyeol almost been waiting for Baekhyun to kiss him? And why now did the thought of Baekhyun kissing him make his stomach flutter? He squeezed his hands to his eyes and whined – this was a huge disaster in the making.