he was scared

My Wish, Forever

"Stop right there!" someone yelled.

I froze in my track. Footsteps echoed behind me and suddenly a face appeared. Jin.

"You!" he pointed his finger at me. "What are you doing here?"

I swept my eyes on the lobby, looking for Shin Bi and Yuju. No signs of them.

"Um..., a friend invited me to watch some debut showcase."

He raised his eyebrows at my answer, "Your friend? You look awfully alone to me."

I stood there awkwardly. Telling him that my friends went to the rest room would only sound like an excuse.

All of a sudden, I remembered the grand ice cream parlor we passed in the hotel's terrace. Shin Bi made a big fuss about how celebrities and chaebols often came there for sweet indulgence. She wished she had enough money for an ice cream. I promised to treat Shin Bi and Yuju dozens of ice cream if only they would come and rescue me now.

"Just admit it. You're following me, aren't you?" his gaze was piercing.

"Me? What? No!" I blushed. How dare he accused me of doing such embarrassing thing!

He let out a long sigh. "Look here, Miss Anonymous. I thank you for saving my life, but you didn't think that I was really interested in you, did you?"

I was about to open my mouth, but he beat me into it. "I was just being nice with you. Why do girls take everything seriously?"

I could feel my ears fuming with anger. I couldn't hold it anymore. "I'm sorry but you're being unreasonable. I take everything seriously because I believe something very serious is happening to you. Have you been experiencing major headache and nausea?"

"How did you--NO!"

"In that case, I suggest you visit a neurologist. It doesn't have to be my mother. But at least, check your head."

"Did you just implicitly say I'm crazy?"

"You know, one of the symptoms of brain damaged is delusion. You're being unreasonable right now."

"I'm fine! You are really--"

A high-pitched scream interrupted us. "HE'S BLEEDING!"

A woman pointed to Jin. He frowned, barely understood anything.

"LOOK!" I looked closely to her pointed finger. It wasn't his body that she pointed to, but his ear. Blood was coming out from his left ear. I gasped and hurriedly came to him.

"Jin, you okay?" I asked while trying to stop his blood from flowing with my handkerchief.

He blinked. His eyes were out of focus.

"Jin, can you hear me?"

No response.

"Jin, answer--"

He suddenly dropped to the floor, both his hands covering his ears. His was in terrible pain, “GOD! IT HURTS!" he screamed. I watched him crawl in the floor, sobbing.

I tried to hold him, but every touch led him went more wild. He didn't stop screaming, "STOP! IT HURTS!"

I pulled out my phone, only to drop it in panic. The screen cracked. "CALL 911! ANYONE, PLEASE!"

 

 

I asked the receptionist in the hospital front desk if I could borrow her phone. I immediately changed the SIM Card into mine. All the numbers I needed were there. First, I called Shin Bi, explained what had happened, and told her to inform Jin's manager and family. That girl was too shocked that her only reply was, "Oh?"

I was reluctant to do the second thing. I stared at the name on the screen.

Eomma.

I had promised myself not to call her unless it was urgent. I also had no idea of her schedule for the day. What if she was in the middle of a meeting with a VVIP person? She did that all the time. But, about Jin, my heart told me to ask for my mother's help. After all, she didn't get that Harvard medical degree for nothing.

I finally made a decision.

I wouldn't call my mother. I decided that this situation wasn't an emergency. I would use her help a little later.

 

 

I dreamt I had a Siberian Husky puppy. He was so small and warm on my lap. I always wanted to have one ever since I saw Myungsoo smuggled a cat into his room. My mother had a bad allergy for furry animals. But when she discovered that Myungsoo had a Persian cat, my mother didn't protest. She even encouraged Myungsoo to take a good care of his pet. 

In my dream, my puppy suddenly leapt from my lap and attacked Myungsoo's cat. They both died. I cried and cried, until someone finally woke me up.

"Sowon!"

My eyes fluttered open. Shin Bi was standing before me, her face concerned. "You scared me!"

I rubbed my tired eyes with my palm. "I'm sorry. The news must've startled you,"

"It's not the news. You slept like a log I thought you're dead!"

"I'm just so tired waiting them examining Jin. Anyway, have you seen him yet? Oh, where is Yuju?"

"I came here with his manager and group mates. They're currently seeing him. And Yuju, that girl went to buy drinks for us."

Shin Bi sat next to me. I realized that the waiting room seats were made from iron and uncomfortably hard. I must've been so exhausted to be able to pass out like that.

"What do you think it is?" Shin Bi's voice was soft, I barely heard it.

I turned my head at her. "What?"

"His case,"

I shrugged.

"Don't lie to me, Sowon. I know you for three years. Is it something serious?"

I didn't reply.

"You're the best student in our department. You're very likely to graduate with summa laude degree. I know you knew what his illness is."

"It's different, Shin Bi. I don't know."

Yuju approached us with plastic bag in her hand. But she wasn't alone. Next to her was a tall guy with striking pink hair. I saw him performed on stage back then.

"You must be Kim Sowon." he smiled politely.

I stood up to greet him. "Yes, I am. And you must be umm..., Rib Monster, right?"

"It's Rap Monster, but you can call me Namjoon." he glanced nervously at me, Yuju, and Shin Bi. "Can I ask you guys a little favor?"

Shin Bi nodded for us, although I wasn't sure if I could fulfill his wish.

"About what happened today, please keep it as a secret. Today is our debut and if the public knows that something like this happened, they will think that we're going to disband really soon."

He bowed 90 degrees. "Please,"

Yuju gently tapped his shoulder. "Don't worry. We're not thinking of doing that."

He seemed relieved.

 

 

"Do you like it?" Madame Han looked at me expectantly.

I put down the glass on the table. "It's not bad, but I love milk with sliced bananas rather than banana smoothie."

"Isn't it the same?"

I shook my head. "No, the 'feel' is different."

It was weekend and we were lounging by the kitchen. My father and mother were busy as always. Myungsoo actually woke me up this morning and asked if I wanted to go cycling with him. I said that I got plans for the day. Trying out new recipes with Madame Han was still counted as a plan, right?

Madame Han nudged me, "You can tell me,"

"Tell you what?"

"About your special someone. You look distracted lately and it must be because you are falling in love with a guy, right?"

I've been thinking about Jin a lot. I wouldn't consider him as someone special, but rather as someone I pitied. His career was about to start but unfortunately he fell ill. I googled him a few times to look for his latest news. The agency of course didn't tell that his brain had been damaged, but constantly came up with new, light sickness whenever Jin got transferred to the hospital. And in the middle of all that, he got new album coming up and promotions lined up. I wondered how he coped with the stress.

"Or, it is a girl?"

I blinked. "Huh?"

"It's okay if you like a girl. I always knew you are special."

Out of the blue, mother already stood in the door. "What are both of you talking about?"

"Mother!" I gasped. I thought she had left for meeting already.

Madame Han bowed politely. "Hello, Mrs. Kim."

"W-what are you doing here?" I sounded like Myungsoo's cat being strangled.

"I came to pick you up."

I looked down on my outfit, SpongeBob T-shirt and pajamas bottom. "Why?"

My mother crossed her hands on her chest. "Sowon, have you ever heard of Acute Disseminated Encephalomyelitis?"

"ADEM?"  It was a brief but widespread attack of inflammation in the brain. I never studied it thoroughly but once heard about it on some lectures.

My mother nodded. "Someone you know suffer from this rare illness.  You should come with me if you want to see him survive."

 

 

It was unusual seeing my mother wearing a white coat. She looked very professional and smart. No one would thought that such an elegant lady had given birth to me.

I followed her steps. Her heels clicked on the floor as she led me into the second floor. We stopped at room number 213. I really hated the number 13. Something terrible was bound to happen whenever I saw that number.

My mom flashed her ID card to the scanner and the door automatically slid opened.

A guy was lying on the patient bed. It wasn't just any guy. It was Jin. His eyes found mine and he looked pleased.

"Doctor Kim, can we have a moment please?" Jin asked with a pleading smile.

My mother nodded and left the room. Her powdery scent remained.

There was a long pause. I examined Jin. He looked fresh and awake, and it reminded me of a rainbow before the storm.

"Hi," was all I could think of.

I thought he would reply with the same awkwardness, but then, "I'm about to die, Sowon."

"Don't say that."

"That's why I insist on meeting you first. I want to say that I'm sorry for not trusting you, for accusing you as my stalker. So if I pass away in the operation room, at least I have no burden left."

I stared at him. Jin was wearing a blue surgical gown and a white bracelet on his wrist as his label. He looked much thinner that I've last saw him.

I had no idea how to react. "Okay."

He sighed. "I have never gone to the Lotte World or ate lobster yet, and now my life is going to end."

"Umm.., Jin, are they going to cut your hair before the surgery?"

"No."

I couldn't help but to feel relieved. Not because Jin got to maintain his hair and looks, but more because they surgery wasn't big enough to have him cut his hair.

I walked closer to his bed. "You're going to survive. BTS is going to have their first album released soon, right?"

At the mention of his group, Jin teared up. I was shocked to his sudden emotions. He hurriedly wiped his tears, not wanting me to see his crying face.

"See? I know you're a fan from the first time we met." he sounded very proud.

"Hey, I'm not--"

The doctor opened again and a nurse walked in. "Mr. Kim Seok Jin?"

Jin raised his hand. "Yup. That's me."

"The operation room is ready for you. And Miss Kim Sowon, you can wait outside with other family and friends."

I watched as Jin got up from the bed. His back was sulking as he walked towards the door. I felt like I should give some encouragement, but my throat was dry. He abruptly turned around at me.

"You need to pray for me or I'm going to haunt you forever when I'm dead." he joked. Though, it didn't sound like a joke at all for me. It sounded like a scared boy, crying for help.

 

 

I waited in the waiting room just like the nurse asked me to. I didn't see any signs of Jin's family. There were only his group mates and an older guy, which must've been their manager. The manager left upon seeing me sitting near them.

"Oh, it's Sowon," Namjoon recognized me first. All the members' eyes suddenly was on me. I fidgeted nervously. Namjoon must've realized it because then he introduced me to everyone. "This is Kim Sowon. She was the one who helped Jin when he collapsed on our debut showcase."

The small eyes guy smiled. "I'm Suga."

Next to him, a brown-haired guy with bangs whispered something audible to the guy next to him. "She looks like Jin hyung's ideal type, right?"

The guy next to him nodded. "The height, though. She is too tall."

I dropped my head, feeling insecure.

"I'm sorry, Sowon. V and Jimin have a big mouth. They talk a lot." said Namjoon.

"They seem like nice people to be with, though." I tried to sound cheerful.

Namjoon chuckled. "They are."

There was someone left to introduce. He was wearing giant headphones and was sleeping peacefully. 

"And last, that's our youngest, Jungkook."

I scanned the room again. "Jin's family didn't come?"

"Well, I suspect they must be late."

"Sowon, the doctor in charge for the surgery is your mother, right?"

I nodded.

Namjoon suddenly got up from his seat and bowed deeply. Not only me, the other members were also taken aback by his action.

"Please take care of our Jin."