he was in pain

My Wish, Forever

"Please, remind me again why do I have to take care of you?" I asked while pushing the wheel chair.

Jin turned around to take a look at my annoyed face. He smirked. "First, the members are busy with schedule. Second, my parents need to go back to Mokpo for unfinished business. Today is your day off and I bet you don't have any productive plans. But if you don't want to do it, it's okay. You can just leave me here to die."

I pretended not to hear him and admiring the view instead. We were strolling in the hospital garden under the sunset. The sky was painted in orange and pink hues. There seemed to be a lot of sunflowers blossoming. Though, they were probably going to die soon because winter was approaching very fast and with that, so did my graduation day. My chest suddenly felt tight.

"God, are you imagining dirty things right now? Why are you out of breath and whimpering like that?"

I tighten my grip on the wheel chair holder. The world suddenly spun out of control. The flowers, the beautiful colors, blurred.

Calm down, please, I ordered myself.

Just then, the wind blew slowly, as if embracing me. I hadn't experienced panic attack for a while now, but the soft wind comforted me. Telling me everything was going to be okay.

I felt pair of strong hand on my shoulders, steadying me. I looked up to see into Jin stood before me. "You fine?"

"I knew it!"

He looked confused by my sudden outburst.

"You're exaggerating your pain! You didn't need the wheel chair and you can walk. You purposefully wanted to irritate me, right?"

His hands fell back to his side. He glared at me, but couldn't say a word. I was right.

Jin's surgery went successfully and fast. It lasted for about an hour before the red light in front of the operation room switched off. He was unconscious for only fifteen minutes, and gradually came back to his sense. My mother said that out of all her patients, Jin's body was the fastest to recover. She said that it was probably because Jin was still young and had a great immune system. His quick recovery seemed to please everyone, especially his parents. Without further words, they left. They didn't even greet the manager and the other members.

"When is your next surgery?" I asked.

Jin's face turned sour. "Next week."

"Well then," I tugged the strap of my satchel bag, "See you next week, Jin."

 

 

Shin Bi ran to me. Her smile was huge. "Sowon!"

"Hmm?"

She jumped to hug me and held me tightly I started coughing. She pulled back with apologetic looks. "Sorry. It's just that I'm so freaking freaking happy right now,"

I closed the locker before me and locked it with my combination numbers. "Tell me about it,"

"You remember the science photography project Professor Ko assigned to us?"

I nodded.

"We got an A, right? So, Professor Ko sent our project to the National Geography South Korea and we were asked to do an editorial for the upcoming issue!"

After a long thought, our group finally agreed on the subject for our science photograph: neurons. The others wanted to utilize the medical technology we had to observe the active neurons reaction inside our head, but somehow I refused. I told them that it would be best to give more depth and story into our photograph. And then, Shin Bi came up with this genius idea to use dead brain instead. The photograph came out beautifully. In the photograph, the neurons and the overall state of the brain seemed to be very isolated. I never thought that our project would get us into National Geographic.

I smiled. Shin Bi enjoyed writing and loved everything about medical things. It was easy to figure that she wanted to be a medical writer. I felt really proud for my friend. It must've  been like a dream come.

 

 

Shin Bi was talking to an older woman with thick glasses and red lips. They must be into some sort of argument because I saw Shin Bi explaining with emphasized body language. The older woman replied something and shook her head.

I decided to leave them and take a look around the National Geographic Seoul Headquarter. It was a small office near Myeongdong. The shops were just two blocks away from here. I really liked the ambience. The walls were painted broken white, not too strikingly bright so it was nice for the eyes. My shoes made a click sound when I walked on the wooden tiles. The green plants were still wet from the watering. I hummed along to the background song.

Have You Ever Fall in Love by Standing Egg.

A person walked passed me and disappeared into one of the cubicles. I frowned. That back and shoulders seemed very familiar.

I walked neared to the cubicle in the corner of the room.

"Hello? My pictures haven't come out, yet? It's going to be featured in the upcoming issue. Tomorrow? Thanks, bye,"

I felt bad for eavesdropping so I was about to turn around when someone called me.

"Sowon?"

My eyes widened as I recognized him. "Myungsoo oppa?"

"What are you doing here?" "Oppa, why are you here?"

Myungsoo raised his eyebrows. "You don't know I work here?"

"Huh?"

He leaned closer and my head. He used to do this to Jerry, his cat. "We need to spend more time together, Sowon. We literally don't know each other."

I gulped. "H-how long have you worked here?"

"It's been three years already."

"THREE!?"

"That's why I often go overseas. I'm a travel photographer."

"So you didn't go overseas with your girlfriend?"

He cringed at my question. "The last time I went to Hong Kong with Cindy, we argued and she dumped me."

Shin Bi approached us hurriedly. "Here you are, Sowon. I've been looking for you every--" she gasped, "Annyeong haseyo, Kim Myungsoo."

I stared at Shin Bi whose face suddenly turned pink. "You know him?"

"I'm a big fan of his photo essay, Viewtiful."

My eyes widened in disbelief. "You even published a photobook?" I asked my brother.

Myungsoo only grinned at me. "Next time when I asked you to spend time with me, you should say yes,"

 

 

Nothing much had changed in my brother. He was still the center of attention because of his good looks. I felt uncomfortable by the amount of envy glances the girls threw at our table. I knew Shin Bi was also uncomfortable because she kept on biting her lip.

Personally, I always liked Myungsoo's eyes. The color was deep brown and his eye smile was very cute. Though, the main reason why I adored it was because of his warm gaze. Staring into his eyes, it somehow reminded me of hot chocolate on a cold day.

"Actually, I've seen your science photo," he said.

Shin Bi's eyes twinkled. "Really? What do you think?"

"It's very...., dark."

"Dark?" she echoed.

"What inspired you to take picture of a dead brain?"

"We are inspired by--"

"JIN!" I shouted. In a second, all eyes me.

Shin Bi and Myungsoo were flustered, and so did everyone. I didn't care. My eyes were glued to the TV screen. There he was, Jin, on his gym clothes, playing basketball with Namjoon and the sleeping guy from before, Jungkook. He jumped and ran and laughed. He seemed to be enjoying it. 

God, what did he think he was doing, playing around like that? He should be in the hospital and rest. He might've recovered, but he got another surgery coming up. What if he suddenly fell and his ears bleed again? What if he collapsed? Goosebumps crept into my skin.

I quickly pulled out my new phone from my pocket. I dialed my mother's number. First try, second try, she didn't answer. I tried again, but still no answer. If only I had Jin's number, I would snap the sense out of him right now.

There was only one way to contact Jin.

"I need to get to Arirang Hospital, right now!"

 

 

"I'm sorry, but we aren't allowed to give personal information to strangers." the woman behind the front desk said.

"Please," I pleaded.

She shook her head gently.

I finally used out my ultimate weapon, the sad puppy eyes. I tried to bring back sad memories and cried in front of her.

"Miss, don't cry," she looked guilty.

"I just want to know his phone number," to save him before it's too late or he will die because his illness relapses.

"Miss, we really aren't allowed to give personal information to strangers."

"B-but I'm no stranger. I know Jin." I continued my sobbing. Thank God I told Myungsoo and Shin Bi to wait for me in the car, or I will humiliate myself by doing this.

"Who are you?"

"I am his umm..., girlfriend! Yes, yes, I'm Jin's girlfriend!" I mentally congratulate myself for coming up with such a good idea.

"If you're his girlfriend, you would already have his number, no?"

I cursed. Well, I never thought that I could be very stupid.

"Just be honest, which one are you? Reporter or a crazy fan?"

My eyes widened at her accusation. "I'm not!"

"Tell me the truth or I will call the security,"

I panicked. What should I do?

Someone suddenly put their arm around my shoulder and pulled me closer. "Why are you threatening my girlfriend?" 

The woman gasped.

I glimpsed at Jin. Why was he here already? Had the filming finished yet?

"I'm sorry, I thought she is--"

Jin didn't wait for her to finish the sentence. He immediately took me outside.

"Well," he smirked, "Aren't you very desperate to have my number?"

"It's for your own good."

"What? Having you sending me love texts every hour?"

I examined him. His hair was wet, probably from shower. He was wearing hospital gown under his leather jacket.

"It's dangerous you know, going out and playing basketball like that. Who allowed you to leave like that?" I snapped.

"Huh?"

"I saw it. You played basketball and ran with other members,"

He looked dumbfounded. “When, where? I was here the whole time."

"This afternoon, on the television,"

Jin stared at me like I was some sort of alien descending from the sky. "You saw me on television?"

"Yes."

"Do you remember the name of the program?"

"I think it’s happy-happy something,"

He sighed. "You're a fool, you know that?"

"Sorry?"

"I filmed the program a month ago and they seemed to replay it today."

"EH!?" my mouth were opened wide and I put both my palms on my cheeks.

"Don't 'eh' and try to be cute like that,"

"Eh, I'm not trying to be cute,"

"Stop, please,"

"Why?"

His ears turned as red as tomato and he tried to hide his smile. He then cleared his throat and pretended nothing happened.

"I want coffee," he said and walked back inside.

 

 

I texted Myungsoo and asked him to bring Shin Bi home.

 

FROM: MYUNGSOO

R U SURE UR GOING TO BE OK ALONE?

 

I glanced up from the screen and found Jin was picking on his blueberry cheese cake. The coffee he had wanted to drink earlier was untouched.

 

TO: MYUNSGOO

I'M NOT ALONE, DON'T WORRY.

 

"If you already have a boyfriend, why'd you still approaching me?" Jin asked.

"It's my brother, and I don't purposefully approach you. You're my mother's patient so I need to look after you."

"Oh," he sounded disappointed. "Are you close with your brother?"

That question took me by surprise. I never thought he would ask such personal question.

"I'm not that close with him," I replied truthfully.

"Let me guess, you're the one who distancing yourself from your brother?"

"Oh! How did you--"

"I figured. You're the successor of KimSon Corporation instead of your brother. You must have some sort of hatred towards him."

I reflected on his words. I wouldn't call it 'hate' because there was nothing to hate about my brother. He lived his life the way he wanted to because he worked for it. Meanwhile, I didn't do anything. I just went with the flow. I really didn't know how I truly felt about my brother. I must been avoiding him because of jealously. Yes, jealousy. I was jealous of mother's endless love for him.

"How'd you know that I'm the successor of KimSon?" I asked curiously.

"Well, Doctor Kim is your mother and she is married to KimSon's CEO, so I googled your name and boom! There were lots of news and hoax about you, princess,"

"Hoax?"

"Yup. For example, there was an article saying that the successor of KimSon Corporation is a beautiful lady."

"That's a fact!"

"I met a lot of beautiful ladies as an idol, and you're just plain."

I decided not to respond because it would be useless anyway. He enjoyed it when I replied back.

"Jin, can I ask you a question?"

"What?"

"Why'd you choose to be an idol?"

He played with his spoon. "I'm not good at studying and I don't have any special talents, so I use my ultimate weapon, my pretty face."

"And your family?"

His body tensed. "What about them?"

"Did they support you?"

Our eyes met and I noticed for the first time that it was a different shade of brown. Unlike Myungsoo's warm brown, his eyes were rather cold and mysterious. But when in a certain angle, his eyes would seem...,

Pained.

He turned his face away. "Of course, they were the most supportive."

Liar.