Chapter 8

In A Deer's Eyes

”Drop me off here, mum!” Jinwoo said suddenly as he saw the bar in the distance.

 

“What?!” She asked and hit the brakes and the car came to a stop at the side of the road.

 

“I’m going to the bar to see Seungyoon, see yah” He said as he got out of the car.

 

He waved at her as he closed the door.

 

He jogged along and hurried inside the bar.

 

He looked at the bar owner who greeted him as he came in.

 

“Is Seungyoon here?” He hurriedly asked the owner.

 

“No, his shift doesn’t start for another four hours.” He replied.

 

“Oh, OK. I’ll just call him then. Thank you.” Jinwoo said and waved at him.

 

He stepped back outside and pulled his phone from his pocket and found Seungyoon in his contacts and called him.

 

“Hel-“ Seungyoon said as he picked up, but Jinwoo interrupted him.

 

“Are you at home?” Jinwoo asked hurriedly.

 

“uh… yes.” Seungyoon replied uncertainly.

 

“I’m coming over!” Jinwoo said and hung up, not giving the other time to answer.

 

Jinwoo knocked on the door of Seungyoon’s place.

 

The door lock clicked and the handle turned as Seungyoon opened the door; he rubbed his eyes sleepily and yawned.

 

“Were you still sleeping?” Jinwoo asked surprised.

 

“Well yeah… I had the late shift” Seungyoon grumbled and stepped aside to let the other in.

 

Jinwoo marched inside and started pacing back and forth in Seungyoon’s apartment.

 

“Seriously, will you stop moving so much?” Seungyoon slumped down on the sofa.

 

“My mother is hiding something from me.” Jinwoo said, but he didn’t stop pacing.

 

“What?” Seungyoon looked at him, but didn’t waste energy on having his eyes follow the other.

 

“I can tell that she’s hiding something from me, she’s been acting weird…” Jinwoo trailed off as he tried to piece things together in his mind.

 

“Weird?” Seungyoon frowned at him. “She seemed pretty normal to me when I delivered your drunk home… on the other hand maybe she was too calm…” He fell silent, feinting that he was deep in thought.

 

“No, but the other day when I got lost in the forest…” He began but Seungyoon cut in with a snide comment.

 

“So like you…” he chuckled.

 

Jinwoo stopped and glared at him for a second, Seungyoon only beamed at him.

 

“When I called her and told her I was at the big shrine she freaked!” Jinwoo waved his arms around animatedly to put proper emphasis on what he was saying.

 

“Your right, that sounds weird, but are you sure you aren’t blowing things up?” Seungyoon sat up and gave him a berating look.

 

“I’m not blowing things up, she was screaming at me through my phone.” He said and joined the other on the sofa.

 

He leaned back and sighed deeply.

 

“Well, she is worried about you.” Seungyoon leaned back as well and the two stared into space for a few moments.

 

“There’s also one more thing…” Jinwoo looked down at his hands which he brought together.

 

“Un?” Seungyoon asked calmly and looked at the other’s hunched back.

 

“Remember I talked about Mino right?” Jinwoo asked.

 

“Yeah, your mystery friend who up and left you when you fainted.” Seungyoon said sarcastically.

 

“And you know Dr. Nam right?” Jinwoo continued ignoring the other man’s slander.

 

“Sure, by reputation only though.” Seungyoon fiddled with his feet and pursed his lips.

 

“Well when I was done and about to leave I saw Mino walking into the clinic. So I followed him and when I got inside everything seemed abandoned.” He took a breath to calm himself.

 

“So I went in and I heard them talking… and they were talking about me, and talking about Dr. Nam breaking the law or something… and Mino said he would punish him… the way they were talking to each other was also really scary.” Jinwoo hadn’t dared to look at Seungyoon while he’d been talking, and the other hadn’t said anything either.

 

He took a deep breath, keeping his eyes forward.

 

“There’s some weird going on here…” Jinwoo said in a low voice, feeling anxious.

 

H e looked to Seungyoon for support.

 

“It’s weird alright…” Seungyoon said, he didn’t appear to believe Jinwoo.

 

After a long while Jinwoo felt restless and annoyed that the other was still just sitting there.

 

“Well? Say something!” He demanded and turned to stare at Seungyoon.

 

“Well, what on earth should I say? This all sounds crazy!” Seungyoon said in a loud voice and stared wide eyed back.

 

“I know, but it did happen.” Jinwoo insisted.

 

Seungyoon sighed and stared at Jinwoo who looked away and shook his head.

 

“Are you sure? Can you be certain you didn’t imagine it?” Seungyoon grumbled.

 

Jinwoo felt rage bubble up from within.

 

“You don’t believe me?!” He spat.

 

“Jinwoo, what you’re talking about sounds like magic and spirits and monsters… and those things aren’t real.” Seungyoon pleaded with his friend who looked pissed.

 

“No, Mino is real, and you said so yourself you’ve known about Dr. Nam for a long time.” Jinwoo started wandering again.

 

“But I’ve never seen any of them, and every time you’ve said that Mino was there I’ve never seen him.” Seungyoon said calmly.

 

Jinwoo groaned.

 

All of this was giving him a headache.

 

“What should I do then?” Jinwoo asked feeling hopless.

 

“Well, you don’t have to go back to the Doctor anymore, right? So why worry?” Seungyoon said calmly, trying to soothe his worried friend.

 

“Why worry?!” Jinwoo spat angrily throwing his arms out with frustration.

 

“They were talking about crimes and people being punished! And they were talking about me!” Jinwoo waved his arms about, desperately hoping the other man would agree with him and try and help.

 

“Relax, Jinwoo. You probably just misunderstood.” Seungyoon’s eyes were filled with pity as they looked at Jinwoo.

Jinwoo could feel the frustration growing, he’d thought that he could rely on Seungyoon, but the man didn’t seem to want to believe him either.

 

Jinwoo glared at him for a few seconds before he violently broke their eye contact.

 

“I thought you…” his voice trailed off and he felt so frustrated that he could cry.

 

“Jinwoo…” Seungyoon’s voice was sympathetic.

 

Seungyoon got up and moved closer to the other man.

 

As he got close Jinwoo pulled away.

 

“Forget it.” Jinwoo said in a chocked voice.

 

He brushed Seungyoon’s hand aside and went for the door.

 

“Jinwoo, don’t leave. I didn’t me-“ Seungyoon began, but Jinwoo didn’t care.

 

After shutting the door behind him he walked briskly down the road.

 

He huffed angrily with a tight feeling in his chest as he stomped along.

 

He stopped at the end of the road, panting from walking too fast.

 

He looked up to his right and saw the forest with its tall trees, leaves dancing in the light breeze.

 

“If no one’s going to help me, I guess I’ve got to help myself.” Jinwoo snarled darkly and started marching off in the direction of the forest.

 

He found the main trail, and saw the sign pointing him  in the right direction.

 

He started walking, he didn’t look around to see what was going on around him he only looked straight ahead.

 

The prospect of defying his mother and the possible consequences were far from his mind, and he strode a long without his eyes straying from the path ahead.

 

He came to a crossroads with a sign and the stared at the words “Main shrine” for a moment before he took a deep breath and walked in the direction the arrow was pointing.

 

After walking for a short while he arrived at the foot of the hill, he looked up and saw some parts of the shrine over it.

 

He walked up the steps and stood at the top looking at the building in front of him.

 

There wasn’t a soul to be seen, he looked from side to side, and felt some of his adrenaline leave his pumped body.

 

Suddenly feeling very tired he began taking deep calming breaths and walked over to a bench, where he sat down to relax.

 

He looked around again, the only movement was in the trees and grass moving gently in the wind.

 

He leaned back, resting on his hands he tilted his head up and looked at the canopy above.

 

“Maybe he isn’t here…?” Jinwoo grumbled, but as soon as he said it he heard a weird noise.

He sat up straight abruptly and looked around, but he saw nothing and no one.

 

“What the hell?” He asked in a dark voice, still looking around.

 

He got to his feet, and slowly made his way around the building.

 

But he found no one.

 

He kept his eyes on a statue as he turned the rest of his body around to walk back to the bench.

 

“What are you doing here?” Mino’s dark voice was close to him, and his head snapped back around and he was staring straight at the other man.

 


Sorry about posting a bit late, this chapter wasn't finfished before I started working on my (disasterous) last paper, so I finished it not long ago and I'm sorry about that chapter ending... pls don't kill me... :P