Chapter 6

In A Deer's Eyes

Jinwoo felt like his limbs weighed a ton. He climbed out of the car and felt like all he wanted to do was sleep.

 

His mother started talking about day to day things; what was for dinner, when his father would return.

 

Jinwoo felt the conversation go in one ear and out the other.

 

As soon as he stepped inside his phone vibrated in his pocket, and he pulled it out to see Seungyoon’s name on the screen.

 

[“How’d it go at the doctor’s?”]

 

[“I have to go back tomorrow for acupuncture…”]

 

[“Yikes. So you coming down or?”]

 

[“I dunno man, I feel really tired all of a sudden.”]

 

[“OK. Well, you’re welcome anytime J”]

 

[“Thanks.”]

 

He put the phone into his pocket and arrived in his room after subconsciously walking while texting.

 

He lay down on his bed, sighing deeply once his body just as heavy as earlier.

 

He suddenly woke with a start, he looked around and saw that the sun must be setting since the wall of his room was tinted orange.

 

He blinked and lifted his head slightly, and he used one hand to rub the drowsiness out of his eyes.

 

He got up and walked to the kitchen.

 

“You’re up?” his mother asked while chopping up vegetables, she gave him a sideways glance.

 

“Yeah…” Jinwoo mumbled, rubbing the back of his head.

 

“I’ll have dinner ready soon, so just go watch some TV or something.” She suggested as she got the frying pan out.

 

“Un” Was the only thing he said as he turned and headed for the sofa.

 

He started flicking through the channels without really settling for anything, and before he’d even seen more than five minutes of anything

 

“Dinner’s ready” She called from the kitchen.

 

He got to his feet and turned the TV off.

 

Once they were done with dinner Jinwoo felt alive again.

 

He returned to his room and found his phone.

 

“Mum, I’ll go to the bar.” He said as he was on his way out.

 

“Ok. Just don’t get drunk, sweetheart.” She called after him.

 

“Don’t worry, Seungyoon will take care of me” He called back as he was putting his shoes on.

 

“Good.” She laughed a little to herself. “I’m glad you have good friends.” She said in a motherly tone.

 

“Me too, mum.” He said under his breath just as he opened the door to let himself out.

 

He wandered along the road and suddenly he stood in front of the bar.

 

“Jinwoo!” Seungyoon opened the door and invited the other in.

 

“Hey, sorry for not sending a text.” Jinwoo said giving the other an apologetic grin.

 

“Nah, it’s all good, the boss doesn’t like it if I’m on my phone while I work.” Seungyoon chortled and closed the door behind him.

 

“Beer?” He asked after leading Jinwoo to a table.

 

“Just the one.” Jinwoo said just as his hit the chair.

 

“One beer coming right up” Seungyoon said theatrically making Jinwoo laugh.

 

Once the darkness fell, and the mood at the bar became lively some of their other friends turned up and Jinwoo drank a few more beers than he had originally planned to.

 

Jinwoo felt a hand on his shoulder and looked around to see Seungyoon giving him a soft smile.

 

“You’re kinda drunk. I’ll send you home.” He said reassuringly, giving Jinwoo’s shoulder a little squeeze.

 

“Sh-shuuur” Jinwoo slurred, and downed the last of his beer to his friends great delight.

 

Seungyoon clocked out and came over to Jinwoo, he lay a hand on his shoulder again.

 

Jinwoo looked up at him and gave him a big grin.

 

As he got to his feet he stumbled, Seungyoon caught him.

 

Jinwoo laughed drunkenly.

 

“You’re a bad drunk.” Seungyoon said rolling his eyes at him.

 

Jinwoo laughed again and slumped against Seungyoon who dragged him out the door.

 

“Hold on idiot” Seungyoon said as he put his helmet on Jinwoo’s head.

 

“What about you?” Jinwoo asked looking at his friend with his eyes big and glistening.

 

Taken slightly aback by the look he was given Seungyoon stuttered “I- I’ll be fine. You’re more likely to fall off than me.”  

 

 “Shu- Shut up!” Jinwoo threw out a disoriented hand at the other man, he smacked it into Seungyoon’s chest.

 

“Ouch! Don’t hit me.” Seungyoon complained “Now get on” He told Jinwoo who grunted and threw one leg over the other side of the bike.

 

“Your mum’s gonna be livid.” Seungyoon said, as he kicked off, keeping his eyes on the road ahead.

 

“Un” was Jinwoo’s only reply.

 

Jinwoo wrapped his arms around Seungyoon’s waist, which made Seungyoon slightly flustered, his heart rate picked up a little.

 

He brought Jinwoo all the way to his front door.

 

“You’re home, Jinwoo.” Seungyoon said turning his head as much as possible.

 

“Thanks” Jinwoo replied, but didn’t move am inch.

 

“Jeez” Seungyoon sighed and removed the helmet.

 

He helped Jinwoo to the door and rang the doorbell and brought his best apologetic face to the surface.

 

Jinwoo’s mum opened the door and her eyes fell on her son first, she sighed deeply before looking at Seungyoon.

 

“Good evening, Mrs. Kim. Sadly your son succumbed to the mood when the others showed up.” Seungyoon said to her.

 

She smiled softly “I knew it could happen, oh well, he’ll suffer tomorrow.” She sighed yet again.

 

“Jinwoo?” She leaned in towards him trying to get some sort of contact.

 

“heey, mum.” He slurred and smiled to the ground.

 

“Seungyoon, can you help me get him inside?” She asked looking at the other man.

 

“Certainly.” He said happily and dragged Jinwoo in the door.  

 

“Thank you.” She smiled at him and moved out of the way to let them pass.

 

Seungyoon hauled Jinwoo’s inside the house and up the hallway to his room.

 

He managed to get Jinwoo into his bed and he yanked his shoes off for him before he stepped back.

 

“Thank you” Jinwoo’s mother said, leaning against the doorframe.

 

“This child is having a rough time I think. I am very grateful that he has friends like you.” She said and patted Sungyoon on the back.

 

“Well, someone’s gotta look out for this naive idiot.” Seungyoon snorted and looked at Jinwoo who’s fallen asleep the moment his body had hit the mattress.

 

She laughed.

 

“I’ll get going then. Good night, Mrs. Kim” Seungyoon smiled at her and walked towards the door.

 

She followed him to the door and said good bye and thanked him again.

 

She watched as he biked away before she closed and locked the door.