Chapter 3

In A Deer's Eyes

Jinwoo sat at the kitchen table, his mother was busy bustling around the kitchen behind him.

 

“I can’t sit here all day, mum” He said in a drawling voice and sighed.

 

“There’s no point in fighting me. You’re the one who carelessly got lost.” She replied calmly as she wiped the bench.

 

“I’ll stay in town. I won’t leave the town square! I’ll go to the bar!” he pleaded turning half-way round in his chair to look at his mum, but all he could see was her back.

 

His mother said nothing and just continued washing.

 

He sighed to himself and turned the right way, putting his arm on the table to prop up his head.

 

“If you only stay in the town centre, it’s fine.” She said with her back still turned.

 

Jinwoo felt a light exuberance in the pit of his stomach, but held it in as he didn’t want to seem too excited.

 

He quickly got dressed and his mother nagged him about his phone before he headed out.

 

He walked briskly towards the town centre and went directly towards the bar, where he’d promised to stay.

 

He flung the door open as if to say “here I am!”, but the bar was filled with elderly men and women.

 

He caught sight of his friend, Seungyoon busting tables and running back and forth from the kitchen.

 

“Hey” Jinwoo said and raised a hand in greeting.

 

Seungyoon raised his hand back at him and gave him a smile.

 

Jinwoo sat down at a table close to the window and ordered a beer.

 

After a little while Seungyoon came over and sat down opposite him.

 

“Hey” He said casually.

 

“Hey” Jinwoo said just before taking a sip.

 

“Heard you got lost yesterday.” He smirked at the other man.

 

“That woman can’t keep her trap shut, huh?” Jinwoo mumbled bitterly.

 

“Don’t talk about your mother like that” Seungyoom said accusingly his brow furrowed and slapping Jinwoo’s arm lightly.

 

“You would be to if you’d basically been grounded at the age of 24.” Jinwoo continued, setting his glass down with an uncessessary amount of force so that it made a loud clunk.

 

“She grounded you?!” Seungyoon leaned forward in surprise, his eyes widened in disbelief.

 

“Sort of. She let me go when I swore I wouldn’t leave the town centre, and come here. She might even call here to check.” Jinwoo was very serious as he spoke, maintaining direct eye contact with Seugnyoon the whole time.

 

The other stared at him in disbelief.

 

“Are you really that sick?” the other pressed on.

 

“Seriously? Does everyone know every single detail of my life?!” Jinwoo threw his arms out dramatically over his head feeling frustrated and exposed.

 

“Well… only the parts your mother knows and I assume she doesn’t know everything.”

 

“I don’t know anymore.” Jinwoo leaned his head down, slumping forward.

 

He grabbed his beer and chugged it.

 

“Watch out you might get completely plastered.” Seungyoon commented looking at Jinwoo with an ounce of pitty.

 

“Don’t look down on me!” Jinwoo barked darkly.

 

“I’m not. I’m just concerned, that’s all.” He said again, sounding as unconcerned as always.

 

“What kind of friend are you?” Jinwoo asked just as darkly.

 

“One who wants you to stop worrying about all things bad and wants you to have a brighter outlook!” Seungyoon said dramatically and raised his arms into the air.

 

“Well you’re not very good at it” Jinwoo commented into his now empty glass.

 

Seungyoon snorted.

 

“Seungyoon, get back to work!” his boss called from behind the bar.

 

“Coming!” He yelled back.

 

“You staying?” He asked Jinwoo as he got to his feet.

 

“I’ll go get some air and come back.” Jinwoo said looking out the window at a bench basked in sunlight.

 

“OK” Seungyoon smiled at him and gave him a hard pat on the shoulder before he walked over to the bar and grabbed a cloth.

 

Jinwoo got up, he felt a little dizzy – Seungyoon was right. The beer had hit him harder than he thought.

 

He made his way outside and over to the bench.

 

Sitting down and closing his eyes and felt the sun baking his skin.

 

“You got home alright?” The familiar dark and stern voice suddenly spoke right next to him.

 

Jinwoo snapped out of his calm, relaxed state and almost fell off the bench.

 

He looked up to see the stranger who’d helped him find his way.

 

“ man, you scared me.” Jinwoo clasped his hand to his chest to signal that his heart was beating widly.

 

“Sorry.” The man said darkly and averted his eyes to glare right ahead.

 

“… Thank you.” Jinwoo said in a low voice.

 

The man gazed at him.

 

“For helping me. I didn’t get to thank you that time.” He continued since the man looked confused as to why Jinwoo would thank him.

 

The man’s face softened “You’re welcome” he smiled a little, his eyes closed in a calm fashion.

 

Jinwoo noticed that, when he didn’t look stern, the man actually looked quite handsome.

 

“What’s your name?” Jinwoo asked impulsively, even surprising himself.

 

The man looked surprised to and furrowed his brow again, but he didn’t look stern anymore.

 

After a little while he took a deep breath.

 

“Mino” He said his eyes on the ground.

 

“Mino?” Jinwoo repeated, thinking it was kind of an odd name.

 

“Oh, I’m Jinwoo” he introduced himself leaning forward towards the other.

 

Jinwoo reached out his hand to shake Mino’s, but the other man just stared at his hand, apparently confused.

 

“Sorry” He said, thinking what he thought was a friendly gesture offended the other.

 

At this Mino seemingly awkward raised his own hand and grabbed Jinwoo’s.

 

His grip was off, as if he wasn’t used to it, but Jinwoo was just glad that he hadn’t offended him.

 

After a few seconds Mino looked up and their eyes met.

 

Suddenly Mino grabbed Jinwoo’s hand firmly and an electric jolt seemed to go through Jinwoo’s body.

 

He suddenly felt dizzy and a sharp pain went through his skull.

 

He winced loudly, and cringed.

 

“Hey!” Mino barked darkly and yanked his hand out of Jinwoo’s just as he lost consciousness.

 

Mino caught the man’s limp body and managed to lift him so that he could lie on the bench.

 

Mino looked around to see if anyone was watching before he abruptly stood up and walked away.

 

A few moments later Seungyoon came running out of the bar towards his friend.

 

“Jinwoo!” He yelled and fell to his knees by the other.

 

When Seungyoon shook him and tightened his grip on Jinwoo’s shoulder he woke with a start.

 

“Wha- what happened?” Jinwoo mumbled, taking a hand to his forehead which was pulsating painfully.

 

“No idea. When I looked out the window you were already down.” Seunhgyoon replied with a worried look on his face.

 

Jinwoo looked around.

 

“What are you looking for?” Seungyoon asked.

 

“Mino.”Jinwoo said calmly as he squinted around.

 

“Who? There was no one here.” Seungyoon looked along with him.

 

“He was here when I fainted.” Jinwoo sat up and shook his head.

 

“Dude, are you sure you’re OK?” Seungyoon was serious.

 

He grabbed the other’s arms and held him with a firm grip.

 

“What? Yes, I’m sure.” Jinwoo got a little annoyed as Seungyoon didn’t seem to take him seriously.

 

“I’ll call your mum.” Seungyoon said and pulled out his phone.

 

“NO! She’ll lose it!” Jinwoo said loudly and grabbed the other man’s hand.

 

“Well we have to do something” Seungyoon demanded and stood up.

 

“Take me to the bar then, maybe I just need to eat something!” Jinwoo suggested hopefully.

 

Seungyoon squinted at him, clearly displeased.

 

“Fine” was all he said sullenly before he helped Jinwoo to his feet by grabbing his hand.

 

“Thanks” Jinwoo said as he got up, he swayed where he stood and Seungyoon grabbed his arm and hoisted it around his shoulder so that he could support Jinwoo as he walked.

 

At the door the bar owner, Seungyoon’s boss held the door open to let them in.

 

Seungyoon helped Jinwoo over to a chair where he sat down.

 

“I’ll get you some water.” He said and disappeared behind the counter.

 

“You alright, son?” the bar owner asked calmly.

 

Jinwoo nodded, though he felt kind of nauseous.

 

Seungyoon returned with the water and pushed it into his friend’s hand.

 

Jinwoo took a sip before putting it down on the table.

 

“Can you wait an hour? My shift will be over then I can take you home.” Seungyoon offered, clearly still concerned.

 

“Thanks, I’d appreciate it.” Jinwoo said weakly.

 

Seungyoon gave him a small smile before he excused himself to go work again.

 

Jinwoo watched as the other bustled about doing his job.

 

Oddly an hour passed in a flash, and Seungyoon was ready to go.

 

He’d put a light jacket on and had a helmet in his hand.

 

“Let’s go” he said confidently.

 

Jinwoo frowned at the helmet, but followed the other outside and around the building to the back where a bicycle stood chained.

 

This is your ride?” Jinwoo asked in disbelief.

 

“Yeah, cars are too expensive, if I need to I’ll just borrow one.” Seungyoon explained as he unlocked the chain and put it in his bag before hoisting the bag over his shoulder and strapping on his helmet.

 

He mounted the bike and turned to look at his friend.

 

“Well get on then, or do you want to walk?” Seungyoon said tauntingly.

 

“No!” Jinwoo pouted, his tone cold as he sat down on the luggage rack on the back, both feet on the same side.

 

“You a girl?” Seungyoon asked with a snort.

 

Jinwoo reached around his waist to hold on and dug his hand into the other’s side.

 

“Shut up!” He hissed darkly.

 

Seungyoon sighed and kicked away from the asphalt and off they went.

 

“Don’t you dear tell my mum anything!” Jinwoo warned Seungyoon.

 

“I don’t get what the big deal is?” He said turning his head back.

 

“My mum’s just a worry wart” Jinwoo sighed and looked up at the sky, it was a bright orange from the setting sun.

 

“My mum is also a worry wart, but I can still go wherever… though I don’t have your poor sense of direction.” Seungyoon finished on a sarcastic note.

 

Feeling irritated but tired at the same time so he let it go with another sigh.

 

“If you tell her, I’ll be grounded for sure.” Jinwoo looked at Seungyoon who chuckled.

 

“For real, she might even tie me up.” He said dramatically, making the other shake with laughter.

 

“Fine. I won’t say anything. But remember this, I might use it against you!” Seungyoon warned, but you could hear the smile in his voice.

 

“What a good friend I have” Jinwoo said sarcastically, leaning on Seungyoon’s back.

 

They fell silent for the remaining part of the trip.

 

Once they arrived in front of Jinwoo’s house; Seungyoon watched until he was inside, much to Jinwoo’s annoyance.

 

He shooed the other man away and as he stood in the doorway he watched the other disappearing down the road.