Chapter 5

In A Deer's Eyes

That night Jinwoo didn’t sleep much; he tossed and turned and couldn’t calm down.

 

The next morning Jinwoo got out of bed feeling absolutely terrible.

 

He went and took a shower, but it didn’t help much.

 

“You look terrible” His mother said sounding very worried as she dropped what she was doing and came striding towards him.

 

She placed a hand on his forehead.

 

“You don’t seem to have a fever” She noted and seemed to be thinking carefully.

 

“I know.” She said suddenly as if she got a sudden and brilliant idea.

 

“Let’s go to the Korean doctor” She smiled at her son, who looked up at her in disbelief.

 

“I just didn’t sleep much that’s all” He complained loudly and gave his mum a look like a four year old that didn’t want to brush his teeth.

 

“Oh, sush.” His mother said and gave him a small shake.

 

After getting breakfast forced on him he was forced into the car and they drove off.

 

Jinwoo gazed out the window.

 

His phone dinged and he pulled it out to check who texted him.

 

It was Seungyoon.

 

[“Not coming to the bar today?”] he wrote.

 

[“My mum’s taking me to the Korean doctor…”] he wrote back, sighing as he hit send.

 

He looked back up to watch the trees fly by.

 

His phone dinged again.

 

[“Yikes… you weren’t kidding about her.”]

 

Jinwoo smiled at the screen.

 

Another text came.

 

[“You dropping by later then?”]

 

Jinwoo looked at his mother who was humming to herself as she drove.

 

[“I’ll have to see about that. I’ll text you.”]

 

[“Ok. Talk to you later.”]

 

He put the phone back in his pocket.

 

“Who’re you texting?” His mum asked eagerly.

 

He knew what she was thinking.  

 

“Seungyoon” He looked at his mother as he said it and saw here body sink with disappointment.

 

“When are you ever going to get a girlfriend?” She asked in a frustrated tone.

 

Jinwoo said nothing.

 

“You’re not getting any younger.” She continued as she turned left up a road which lead into the forest.

 

Jinwoo looked out the window to stare at the now dense woods flying by.

 

It’s not like he hadn’t tried finding a girlfriend, but they just hadn’t worked out.

 

“I don’t know, mum. It’s not really that high on my list of priorities at the moment.” He blinked and stared right ahead.

 

“I’m sorry, sweetheart” She seemed apologetic and reached out to his arm reassuringly.

 

He grunted in response.

 

“Oh, we’re here.” His mum said and pulled in on a small dirt road that lead up to an older looking building surrounded by trees.

 

She parked the car and got out, Jinwoo followed.

 

She led the way and they went inside.

 

They got inside and there was a small reception desk where a small woman sat in front of an old computer.

 

She looked up at the sound of the door opening and closing.

 

“Ah, Mrs. Kim, what brings you here?” She asked in a cheerful voice.

 

“Good morning, Mrs. Park.” His mother replied just as cheerfully.

 

“My son isn’t feeling well” she continued and came up just short of the desk.

 

“I see… well Dr. Nam is free. Please fill out this form and if you’ll just wait a moment we’ll call you.” She told them after jotting in some stuff on the computer.

 

She handed them a form to fill in and a pen.

 

“Yes, well just take a seat.” His mother glided away towards the small waiting area.

 

Jinwoo who’d stopped just in front of the door, perhaps hoping internally that no doctor would be available, sighed and followed his mother and sat down.

 

After a few minutes Mrs. Park returned and told them to come along.

 

“Mum, I can go in on my own.” Jinwoo complained as he watched his mother getting to her feet.

 

His mother gave him a sideways glance.

 

“I guess. Now tell he doctor everything.” She said and sat back down.

 

Finally, she listens…” Jinwoo thought as he walked past her.

 

He sighed as he entered the hall that lead to all the offices.

 

It was all less clinical than the hospitals he’d been to over the past few months.

 

He followed Mrs. Park to the room at the very end of the hall and she opened the door for him with a kind, grandmother like smile.

 

He walked in and she closed the door behind him.

 

“Good day, how can I help you?” He heard a man say.

 

Jinwoo turned his head around and saw the back of a computer screen facing him, a head sticking out just above it.

 

“Hello.” He said awkwardly, making for the chair on the other side of the desk.

 

Once he came around the screen a pair of deep brown eyes met him, he saw the man squint subtly as if displeased just as he sat down.

 

“Form please.” The doctor asked, reaching out and taking the form from Jinwoo.

 

He swiftly looked it over before looking up at Jinwoo again.

 

“Um…” Jinwoo began, he really didn’t feel comfortable with the man staring at him.

 

“Doctor?” He asked, trying to get rid of the awkward tension.

 

The doctor’s eyes twitched ever so slightly.

 

“Dr. Nam, if you please.” He said coldly, and looked away for a moment.

 

“What can I help you with, Mr. Kim?” He continued, his voice was a sigh.

 

Jinwoo frowned, shifting uncomfortably.

 

“Well, my mother took me here because she is worried about me.” He began, looking up at Dr. Nam, who looked bored.

 

“And I’m… currently seeing a western doctor for some issues with my eyes…” He felt like he needed to explain the cause for his mother’s worries.

 

“You’re eyes?” Dr. Nam said sitting up slightly in his chair, he suddenly seemed interested.

 

“Yeah, over the past few months I’ve lost my vision at random. So I’m going to be admitted soon to do some more check-ups.” Jinwoo continued hesitantly.

 

 “I see” Dr. Nam said and leaned back in his chair, he seemed somehow pleased to hear about Jinwoo’s misfortune.

 

The doctor locked gazes with Jinwoo and stared without blinking, making Jinwoo uncomfortable.

 

“I’m sure you hear this all the time…” The doctor began, still not looking away “Your eyes are large and you seem to have long eyelashes… kind of like a deer.” He finished and leered at Jinwoo.

 

Jinwoo leaned away as far as possible, he gulped and tried to keep a straight face despite his discomfort.

 

He didn’t reply to the doctor’s taunts, he didn’t want the man to win.

 

“Well, Dr. Nam.” Jinwoo said brashly sitting up a little straighter in his seat “could you just write a little note saying that I should drink some tea or something since there’s nothing actually wrong with me?” He asked carefully.

 

Dr. Nam looked at him for a moment.

 

“Have you considered trying acupuncture?” He asked, suddenly very doctor like.

 

“Well, no.” Jinwoo replied.

 

“Maybe we should schedule an appointment?” He said and came back in to his computer.

 

“No. No. I’d rather not.” Jinwoo said waving his arms in rejection.

 

“What?” Dr. Nam smirked at the screen “Afraid of needles?”.

 

“N-No.” Jinwoo protested, feeling his cheeks flush.

 

“Good. I will see you…” he punched in on the keyboard “well, would you look at that. Tomorrow.” He said and leaned back in his chair, folding his hands in his lap.

 

Jinwoo felt stunned, but couldn’t really protest.

 

Dr. Nam gave him a pleased smile, like a four year old that’s done mischief.

 

“Doctor!” Jinwoo found his voice again and tried to protest, but Dr. Nam gave him a cold look.

 

“Tomorrow at 9 am sharp.” He said briskly and stood up, walked around his desk and to the door.

 

He opened it and gestured for Jinwoo to leave.

 

Uncertain Jinwoo got to his feet and walked out the door.

 

“Mrs. Park will give you the appointment note.” He said and gave him a professional smile.

 

“Uh… thank you?” Jinwoo said politely and turned to walk back out.

 

What the heck even happened in there?” Jinwoo asked himself.

 

It was almost as weird as last night…” He thought as he neared the reception.

 

“Jinwoo!” His mother called and got out of the chair.

 

She came over to him and placed her hand on his shoulder.

 

“What did he say?” She asked, her eyes hopeful.

 

“Well… nothing really…” he began, he looked at Mrs. Park who was sitting at her computer.

 

“He wants me back tomorrow to do some acupuncture.” He continued and looked at his mother.

 

“I see. Wonderful!” She said happily.

 

He sighed.

 

“Mr. Kim, here’s your note. See you tomorrow.” She said and handed him a small slip over the counter.

 

“Pay..?” He looked at her, she smiled happily.

 

“You can pay tomorrow after the appointment.” She beamed at him.

 

“Oh, OK. Bye” Jinwoo said feeling a little flustered.

 

“Bye, Mrs. Kim.” Mrs Park said to his mother.

 

“Bye, Mrs. Park.” She said and pushed Jinwoo’s back towards the door.

 

“When’s the appointment tomorrow?” She asked as they neared the car.

 

“9 am” Jinwoo replied sullenly.

 

“Don’t worry. Dr. Nam has a good reputation! He’s the best doctor on Imja island!” His mother seemed enthusiastic.

 

Jinwoo sighed. Best doctor or not he really didn’t want to go tomorrow.

 

“Don’t look like that, he just wants to help!” his mother insisted as she backed out and started on the way home.

 

Jinwoo gave her a sideways glance.

 

I’m not so sure…” He thought, seeing those cold, dark brown eyes staring at him in his mind’s eye.

 


 

If you have a theory of what is going on or happened please put [Possible Spoiler] in front of your comment or send me a private message! ;)

If you think I'm being offencive in any way please tell me! O-o

Comments are love! ^w^