"Thank-you."

Mistaken Happiness

"So Eun!” Hyun Joong called as he caught hold of her arm. “I’m sorry.” So Eun turned around to face him, and slapped him.
“I thought you would never lie to me, but in the end…”He eyes got teary; she swung off Hyun Joong’s grip on her arm, and turned away. Hyun Joong regretted even thinking of using the plan, and cursed himself for doing so.
“So Eun, are you okay?” Kim Bum asked worriedly as he walked towards them. They were infront of So Eun’s home, and Kim Bum had come to pick her up for their date.
“I’m fine, let’s go.” She walked to Kim Bum, to his car without turning around to look at Hyun Joong. Kim Bum stayed behind.
“I’m guessing you’re Hye Sun’s boyfriend?” Kim Bum assumed. Hyun Joong nodded. “Your company needs the money, that’s why you were planning to use So Eun right?” Hyun Joong looked down at the ground, ashamed, and then turned back to Kim Bum.
“We really needed the money, but now… it’s not important, So Eun… I can’t believe we were about to use her!” He said regretfully.
“Tomorrow, I’ll see you at twelve O’clock, East Café.” Kim Bum stated before he started to back toward his car, and drove off not long after.
“What’d you guys talk about?” So Eun asked when the car started moving.
“It’s not something you should be worried about.” Kim Bum said. They were silent for the rest of the ride. They stopped the car, when they reached a little hill overlooking the city of Seoul.
“Why’d you bring me here?” She asked as she took a seat on the park bench, looking curiously at the scenery. Kim Bum didn’t answer. He took a seat beside her, and looked at her with worried eyes. “What’s wrong?”
“So Eun, do you want to leave Seoul with me?” He asked. His voice was low and quiet. So EUn looked away. She thought hard for moment. What about her mother? What about Hye Sun? What would they do? She loved this city, this was her home. “So Eun?” He asked, waiting patiently for an answer.
“I… What about my mother?” She asked, unable to decide. Kim Bum sighed.
“She’s going to be fine; Hye Sun’s going to take care of her, right?”
“But…” She couldn’t think of anything to say. She just didn’t want to leave Seoul.
“Think about it tonight, and tell me tomorrow, or the day after that. I can wait.” He said as he got up getting ready to start back toward the car. So Eun caught his wrist just before he started walking. He stopped, but didn’t turn around.
“I… I don’t want to go.” She whispered hesitantly. “I just can’t leave Hye Sun and mother behind, I’m sorry.” Her eyes got teary again. Kim Bum turned around, took a seat behind her again, and put his hands on her shoulders.
“It’s okay, I understand. Just tell me anytime if you want to go, alright?” He asked softly. “Don’t cry.” He said and got up, and started towards the car. I just wanted to protect you from anything that’s going to happen, he thought to himself. I don’t want to you hurt by your sister, and that boy again…

“Can I get a cup of coffee?” Hyun Joong asked as he settled at a table in the café. He had arrived a few minutes early. He had no idea why Kim Bum had told him to come here today, though he had a bad feeling something was going to happen, he still came. Kim Bum arrived not long after.
“Hey.” He said. He didn’t sound all that happy, though he didn’t look mad either. He had a man behind him, in a black suit, almost like a bodyguard. He sat down in the chair across from Hyun Joong as said: “This is my family butler, also my secretary. Now, how much do you exactly need to revive your company?” He asked. Hyun Joong unable to believe this fact started adding up the numbers in his head. “Is five hundred million enough?” Kim Bum asked impatiently. Hyun Joong nodded. “Give him a cheque of five hundred million.” He told the butler.
“Certainly, young master.” He replied, and dug into his pocket for the cheque book. He gave it to Kim Bum when he was finished. Kim Bum sighed.
“Don’t you ever think of using my girlfriend ever again.” He said as he handed Hyun Joong the cheque. Hyun Joong was happy he finally got the money to save his money, though he really like the way Kim Bum said things.
“Thank-you.” Hyun Joong said. He put the cheque in his coat pocket, and turned back to Kim Bum. “I wasn’t going to use So Eun.” He lied.
“Whatever.” Kim Bum said. He got up and left, leaving Hyun Joong alone at the café.
“Hye Sun? We’re saved!” Hyun Joong said. He had called her to tell her the good news.
“What do you mean?” She asked.
“So Eun’s boyfriend saved us!”
“What?” She was confused, Kim Bum helping us? Impossible!
“He gave me five hundred million.” Hyun Joong explained. Before he could say anymore Hye Sun had hung up. She didn’t know why, but she didn’t want Kim Bum’s money. She knew if they accepted the money, So Eun would surely hate them. She dialed the number of So Eun’s phone, and waited for her to answer.
“So Eun?” She asked when she picked up.
“Yes?”
“Hyun Joong just called, Kim Bum…”
“What about Kim Bum?” So Eun asked worriedly, scared Kim Bum had gotten into some accident.
“He gave us five hundred million to save the company.” Hye Sun explained. After hearing this, So Eun hung up, and called Kim Bum.
“Hello?” He answered.
“Kim Bum, do you have some time?” She asked
“Sure, I’ll come pick you up.” He said, and then hung up.

So Eun knew how important the money was to Hyun Joong’s company, though she didn’t want it to be from Kim Bum. It might not seem a lot of money to him, but it was to So Eun. She didn’t want Kim Bum to give them money to save the company. She didn’t want to feel like she owed him something. She wanted to be equal with him. She’d rather earn the money herself, even if it would take her years, maybe more.
“What’s wrong?” Kim Bum asked when she got into his car.
“Why’d you give him the money?” She asked.
“He needs it for the company, as long as he—“
“I don’t want you giving him money. Yes, maybe he really needs the money, but I don’t want it from you. I don’t want to owe you anything, I don’t want—“Kim Bum hugged her tight.
“I gave him the money, because I knew he really needed it.” He explained, “I know you want to earn it yourself, but I don’t want to you to go through all that pain. Because you’re my girlfriend, because I love you.”
“I want to be equal to you, so that it doesn’t seem like I owe you anything—“
“You don’t, and you’ll never will, because we’re equal.” He said as he placed his lips on hers. He broke the kiss after a few seconds, and said: “Don’t worry about it, it’s nothing.” He hugged her more tightly, and rested his head on top of hers.
“Thank-you,” She whispered, “Thank-you for everything you’ve done.”