a little

Guess how much I love you
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

To the sound of boiling coffee pouring into a thermos and keys shuffling, everything seems to have started like any other morning.

After double checking the stove and carefully closing all the lights, Jeonghan directed his feet towards the door with a heavy heart.

Not that he didn’t like the job itself, in fact, like Minhyun hyung said, he never seems to get tired of children anyway.

The source of discomfort lays on that small piece of paper brushing against his skin inside his jeans pocket with an address messily scrambled situated in

 

Gangnam.

 

The area of Seoul regrouping most elites and the wealthiest of the country. A place envied by all, yet despited by him. 

 

Jeonghan didn’t hate rich people, in fact he came from a quite wealthy background when he was younger, yet having dealt and seen enough kids to conclude the amount of capital in a family is often exponentially proportional to how spoiled their child might be.

 

If it was any other employer that asked him to work in that region, Jeonghan would have ran away from it like pest no matter how many bills it will help to pay, but the request was called from one of his close college seniors making it impossible to refuse.

 

He hopped into the early morning bus and took a place on the empty seat next to the window before glancing at the changing landscape. The growingly familiar view full of estates of wild and luxurious architecture with the most exotic gardens and immense pools uncontrollably guided his thoughts back those days where himself was among those most elaborate parties with the finest food and the diamonds and precious stones decorating elegantly on silk dresses of the ladies. The crystal chandeliers hanging on the tall ceiling were illuminating the rooms so brightly, one could almost have mistaken it as the sun and all those seemed so perfect back then it almost appeared if the scene could last endlessly...  

But it is now all only a distant past which he refused to look back, after he has pushed everyone out of his life except a few.

Jeonghan shook his head and tried to clear his mind, he should focus on the task in hand instead of drowning in nostalgia.

After a fifteen minutes’ ride, he finally arrived.

Jeonghan almost wanted to retract his feet back to the already moving vehicle at the sight of even more extravagant structures and mentally scoffed at those mansions that meant nothing more than useless fanfare to him now and headed directly to his destination without a second glance.
It didn’t take him long to find the two story house in question. It was more on the simple and clean side than the ones around it, yet warmer and more welcoming with its stone wall, many large windows permitting natural light to permeate through and a low-pitched roof shielding its owners.

The place looked far more lively, like one that is meant to be built for a family, unlike those simple display wealth and power surrounding it.


The corners of his lips can't help but raise at the sight of such lovely house and his heart finally lightened up a little. Jeonghan took a finale deep breath before running the bell. 
Running footsteps could be heard and soon the door opened as round little head peeked up of it and revealed a child who is not estrange to him at all. 
"Oh! Jeonghan hyung!" Chan happily exclaimed towards the the newcomer, before asking with curious big eyes "Why are you here?" 

The fear he had all matinee about the kid he will be nursing being spoiled has dissipated in a blink of eye. He let out a sigh of relief and cheerful greet him back, clearly happy that he could even use this occasion to get closer to that shy boy and open him up more to the other kids! It was the best of both worlds! Until it took him a second for his excitement to fade away and realize that if Chan is here, it also means...
"Chan baby, who is at the door?"
That husky and low voice that has been haunting him for the whole week resonated from inside made his blood run cold.
Fight or flee instinct hits leading him to internally debate whether it would be alright to leave Chan there and just run away. 

 

Yet before a conclusion could have been made, a painfully familiar raven hair has emerged from the doorframe. The taller was raising his hand to his mouth, yawning lazily with his torso bare .  Jeonghan blushed and shifted his gaze away down to his own feet (He is not going to admit that he did took a second glance at those abs). 

 

The elder seemed as surprised at his sudden appearance, eyebrows slightly frowned in confusion before carefully asking "Oh! you are Chan's teacher right?" to which Jeonghan nodded, yet said nothing face still flustered pink.

It took him another second to remember the possible reason of the younger sudden appearance. "Are you the babysitter by any chance?" 
The blonde male nodded more eagerly this time and mumbled a small "Yes" 

 

Chan was growing impatient of all their long and awkward exchange and started nudging his father’s leg and opened his arms demanding to be hold, Seungcheol wrap his son up into his arms and invited sheepishly their guest in. 
 

Like the outside, the living room was decorated with modern future and a few contemporary art pieces yet there was a slight detail making the new babysitter internal cringe.

It was hard to see that cloths were pilled high on the sofa with several toys spilled all over the hardwood floors beneath it. A few unwashed empty mugs and glasses scattered around on the coffee table Jeonghan didn’t even have to tiptoe to see the trail of dish starting from the marble count into stack of dishes into the sink from the open kitchen.

He had to dig his nails into his palm to stop his envy of roll up his sleeves and start cleaning all this mess up.


“I am sorry to be in such a state” Seungcheol weakly apologized and scratched his headseeing the babysitter's eyes travelling around: The housekeeper was supposed to come yesterday, but she got sick and the person fill in for her can today in the afternoon, so hopefully you are not too bothered by it for a few hours. Jeonghan let out a quiet sigh to himself. Even though he is known to be a quite lazy person, his germaphobia always had the magic to beat his laziness, so he would definitely have cleaned the whole thing up before the housekeeper even comes.

Not that he would mind anyway since his pay was far more generous enough for him to include a little extra in it.

Jeonghan mumbled a quick it’s ok and cleared his throat trying to avoid his eyes from landing own the clearly still shirtless torso of the latter.
The young father seem to have finally wake up enough to realize the blonde male’s sudden pink cheeks and unsettling gaze to finally excuse himself to put a shirt on and suggest their guest to make himself comfortable in the mean while.

When he came back with some cloth covering his body, Jeonghan has already carefully seat at the part of the corner of the sofa he managed to clean up with the back of his hand and was attentively listening to Chan showing him his new toy. Seungcheol cleared his throat and chuckled: “Well since you guys already know each other so well I guess there is no need for presentations.”
 

The blonde male bitted his lips nervously, unsure of whether it was the right moment to apologize for the careless insults he threw out last week, after twisting his tongue a few times, he slowly started “Mr.Choi…”

 

“Please call me Seungcheol instead.” The latter cut him off with warm laughter that Jeonghan swore how could even a simple sound like this be so perfect “No need to be so formal, plus Chan talked a lot about you.” 
 

As Jeonghan tried to find his words once again, the elder’s eyes scanned the kitchen clock after those words and cursed under his breath: “, I am late, I have to go” before rushing around, trying to find his keys and wallet among random objects and piles of clothes spread around the house and shouted as his hands gathered all the necessities “the phone number in case of emergency should be on the coffee table. Make yourself feel at home and free to use everything in the kitchen if you guys get hungry.” 
After quickly pressing a quick kiss on Chan's chubby cheeks and wished them a good day, the door was slammed shut once again.

 

It all happened so fast that the new babysitter was left dumbfounded before he could have even open his mouth.
Next to him, Chan was staring back at him with big curious eyes anticipating what is happening next, so he could only take a deep breath. 

If fate was to turn out like that, might as well make the most of it.

He bend down ruffling softly on the child’s light brown hair and asked:
"Can you show me around the house Channie?"
 

Since then, multiple times he has passed by to keep the child company, and little by little, Jeonghan learnt a little more about Seungcheol, both from himself and Chan. He now knows that Seungcheol was the lead chief of Seoul’s central police station (which explains the house and the location). He also knows that the elder never cooked (whether he couldn’t or simply didn’t have time was yet to find out) and most important of all, from the loving gaze he always has for his son made it clear, the latter wasn't entirely the irresponsible and careless parent he first assumed to be. With time, his heart grew softer and understood a little better the reason of seemingly negligence towards Chan was simply the duty of his work and the lack of another pair of hands to help him out. Were they friends? Probably. But that word left a bitter sweet taste in his mouth.

He didn’t have find enough the courage to ask about Chan's mother, but at least Seungcheol seemed to be single for the moment (not it matter to him anymore, dare he emphasize). 
 

Everything was going smoothly for the past weeks in the kindergarden as well, Chan was always picked up on time by that pink haired uncle that he now knew was named Jihoon and even by Seungcheol a few times which during those moments Wonwoo would always flash him a uncomfortable smirk that he wanted to punch.

 

At what seemed like another Wednesday afternoon, after all of the children has been gone, Chan was left once again alone, it has been quite some time since the closing. Seeing his mood grow a little gloomy, Jeonghan tried to cheer him he up with small talks, but it didn't quite work out as he hoped would. So instead, he quietly took a place next to him side by side, both resting their chin on their hand, gazing at the pretty clouds tainted with the orange, pink and red of the setting sky, sitting on the first step of the stairs, waiting for his father to arrive.
Jeonghan looked down at his watch.
It was almost 7pm, a hour has passed since the closing time and he still has to go back home to prepare for tomorrow's work and feed Mr.Putter who can get grumpy when not served on time. 

He tried to call Seungcheol multiple times already, both at the office and on the cellphone number he left when he came babysit, but it was turned towards a voicemail each time. Jeonghan regrets not asking the phone number of uncle Jihoon, yet who was he lying to?  Even in a thousand years, he will st

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter