003

Blaze of Glory

     Stepdad Joonki and mom awakened me with their voices though I’m used to it. They are yelling nonstop. I put my ear behind the door so I could hear them clearly and I am right. They are fighting about me. I have always hated Joonki. He is a drunkard and my mom is like blind to see it. She said that he was just tired or I should give him a chance. As if.

     I stepped outside and shut the door of my bedroom. “Hell time!” I whispered to myself as I took a step forward.  Joonki walked out of the house. Thank god.

     “You’re the reason why he’s mad.” Mom said as soon as I sat on the kitchen stool. “Joy.”

     I shift my eyes from my cereal bowl to her. “Don’t care.” And eyes back to the cereal bowl.

     “Joy, I am serious. You should stop making tantrums about this family and just live with it! Joonki isn’t that bad.” She said, exasperated.

     “Yeah. Not that bad.” I ate a spoonful of the leftover mashed potato.

     Mom walked toward the kitchen sink and started washing the dishes. “He said he will not pay for your school bus anymore, there are only 2 days left and you have to walk to school.”

     I ate another spoonful of mashed potato. It was kind of hard and cold like it stayed in the refrigerator for, like, forever. “I can walk.”

 

xxx

     I sat on my seat and after a block, Long face sat on his seat. Before he could speak to me, I put my headphones and turned the volume up. It is set on the highest volume.

 

xxx

     I can’t believe that long face is in my class. History and Math. He always looks so flabbergasted, like, everything astonishes him. He reminds me of horses but really pale skin.

 

xxx

     I did not ride the school bus. I don’t want to see long face and I’m tired of the girls. You know who.

 

     I was walking down the hallway when Mr. Park called my attention. “Follow me.” He said and continued walking.

     We are inside his office and he showed me his records. “This is your record, Joy.” He frowned. “Your grades are failing. Something wrong?”

     Wow, he almost finished the sentence for one whole minute. So slooooow.

     “Nothing’s wrong.” I mumbled. Who wants to hear some high school drama though?

     He sighed as he put down his record down to the table. “Just tell me if you’re having a hard time. I am willing to help you. Do you want me to teach you about the previous lessons?”

     “Like, right now?” God! He talks so slow and even if he teach me the previous lessons, I wouldn’t be able to understand because I’d focus on how slow he is.

“Yes!” he said enthusiastically.

“Thanks, Mr. Park. Next time, maybe? I have tons of assignments...”

 

xxx

     I hate Mr. Park.

 

xxx

     I went to the basketball gym to watch the boys play. But really, I came here because maybe just maybe he’d talk to me.

     The game is over and I am still hoping. I stood up and went to the exit door so I can talk to him about everything.

     He showed up after half an hour. His hair is still wet and his t-shirt sticks on his body. Hot.

     “Hey.” He said.

     “Hey.” I said.

     “What up.”

     I stare at the floor and squeeze my right hand. “I just want to know if...”

“It’s over, Joy. It’s over.” He said drily.

“Let’s go Sungjae!” his friend called.

“Got to go.” He walked away just like that.

 

     I went outside and started walking. Stupid bus. Stupid Joonki. Stupid Sungjae. Stupid Joy.

     Joonki insisted that I should ride the bus so I’d come home early and help mom and now, he’s mad and doesn’t want me to ride the bus. I prefer walking though. No girls, no mean insults, no long face.

 

     I walk past a tree house where Krystal and the rest of the squad used to play when we were little. It is old and weak and anytime soon, the owner will be bulldozing it.

 

“Let’s make a pact!” Krystal shouted at the top her lungs.

“What pact?” I asked, confused.

She did the ‘let me think hard’ face and she came up with an idea. “Let’s make sure that we share everything. I mean, everything even with secrets.”

“Like, EVERYTHING?”

“Exactly.” As soon as she said that, she pulled a fine pen with a really sharp tip from the pocket at the back of her jeans and she sliced her pinky finger with it and mine after.

We wrapped our pinkies around and watch the blood sizzle in snow.

 

     “Hey!” someone shouted. I looked back and it was long face. What the is he doing here?  I looked back to the street and didn’t say a word. Such a weird kid.

     “Look what I got!” He exclaimed like he won the lottery. “Ta-dah!”

     He was holding a cell phone. Touch screen cell phone, not the one with the antenna. Good. I just smiled at him because who cares about him having a cell phone?

     “Why are you walking? Did you miss the bus too?” I asked, not looking at him.

     “Because I don’t have a seatmate and the girls are really really mean. Like, I think they are talking about you.”

     Ha. Here we go again. “What made you think that I am that girl?”

     He shoved his cell phone on his pocket. “Because they were saying that “the isn’t here today” and you were the only one who was not in the bus.”

     Oh.

     “Is it true?” he asked.

      I stopped and looked down. “Let’s go.” I decided to go up the tree house because I don’t want to go hell home. I bent my knees and my legs so we can fit in to the tiny house.

     “So...” He is facing me and our knees touch.

     “To clear things out, I am that girl. I am the girl they are talking about.”

     “Wow, so you’re a ?” he asked and he is wearing a serious face.

     “No! Of course not! They are calling me names... Because....” I snorted. Damn tears, please don’t fall.

     I bowed my head, “It all started last school year... when we were sophomore. Krystal, the one with the very long hair and beautiful face, you know her?”

     He nodded. I continued, “We used to be best friends. Like, BEST friends. We used to do our nails, apply and test make up, and have sleepovers and talk about boys. Then, a boy courted me. Like, we really liked each other...” I looked at him and he is listening attentively. “Why do I have to tell these things to you? I don’t even know you.”

     He flinched. “I am your... seatmate? Bus seatmate? And we’re in the same class.”

     “Well, bus seatmate no more because I am not going to ride that bus. Ever.”

     He sighed, “Okay, I am Hoseok and I want to be friends with you. I don’t have friends. Everyone is like, making fun of me just because I am not that ‘modern’.”

     I rolled my eyes, “Okay, long face.”

     “What long face? I am Hoseok!”

     I giggled and continued. “So, back to the story. We liked each other. He is popular and lots of girls are dying to have him. I was so flattered that he chose me. And he liked me. We were dating for, like, 3 months, secretly. Because if the girls knew I was dating him, I’d be dead. Surprisingly, Krystal knew about us. She saw me hanging out with him. She was so mad at me that she slapped me. I deserved that slap because I promised that I will share everything even my secrets. We made a pact. She said popular people are for popular people only. She said I can’t date him because I am not popular. But, I didn’t stop dating him because I liked him. So much. Then she said, “We are not best friends anymore. I hate you!”” 

     Knots on his forehead began to show. “It’s not your fault that you liked that guy. There isn’t a law that says ‘popular people are for popular people’. She’s right about unfriending you. You don’t deserve that kind of people in your life.”

     I smiled. Long face is smart. Well kind of.

     “Why are they saying that you’re a murderer? A boy friend stealer?”

     Ugh. He has a lot of questions. Irritating.

     “I did not murder anyone’s boyfriend nor steal.” I heaved out a sigh, “That’s enough for today.”

 

     I hate my life.

 

xxx

     We left the tree house and he said he’s going home. I decided to walk to the park and watch the birds eat whatever’s on the ground. I sat on the bench and put my headphones on.  God, my phone’s drained. Just like me.

     I was staring at the birds when I saw someone taking pictures of me. I abruptly walk towards him. “What do you want?” I grabbed his collar. Maybe this is part of Krystal’s evil plan.

     “W-wait!” He shouted, frightened. I let go of his collar and he said, “I am from SM Agency. I just saw you and you look really pretty... Do you want to be a model?”

     He smiled, “This is my calling card... If you’re interested, just call me.”

 

xxx

     I was not aware of time and I got home at 8:30 pm. The lights are off but the TV is on. Joonki is sitting on the couch with a bottle of vodka on his hand. I walked behind him and did not make a sound.

     “What do you think you are doing?” He shouted as he stood up. His voice is loud and clear and he’s mad.

     “I visited a friend...” I stutter. Is he going to kill me?

     He threw the bottle on the floor. It broke. Where’s mom? I want her to see this demon kill me.  He grabbed my arm and pushed me. His teeth and fist are clenched. The light from the TV made him look like a monster.

     “Joonki!” The door flew open and it was mom. She turned the lights on and ran towards him. “Stop!”

     “This is probably dating some guy. Stupid .” He said bestowing a look of disgust upon me.

     Mom made a signal that I should go to my room. I stood up and shut the door.

     He should’ve killed me when he had the chance.  I am not scared. 

 


a/n: i am not that English proficient and for that im truly sorry

here's a chapter for u lovely subbies :-)