002

Blaze of Glory

     I jumped on the bus and made my way to my seat. I saw my mom outside glaring at me with scissors in her hand. I hate her.

     The bus stopped just a block past my home. A new kid with a long face is now looking for a seat. No one offered him a seat until he stopped at the aisle, looking at me. I rolled my eyes as I remove my things beside me. Now I have to sit every day with long face. Take note, the Cheerleaders and the rest of the girls in the bus are calling me names. You know... , , boyfriend stealer, ugly, murderer and stupid.

     I can feel rather than see long face looking at me. It’s making me uncomfortable. I crane my neck outside the window. I really don’t have options. I have to ride this stupid bus along with stupid people and a kid with a long face because of a stupid man named Joonki.

     God, is he from a province because he looks like it. “What the do you want?” I asked. He flinched for a second and rubbed the back of his head.

     “Uhh... are they talking about you?” he asked sticking out his finger on the aisle. I hate when this happens. Like, what made you think that I’m the and the who is stupid enough to steal someone’s boyfriend or worst, murder him? So judgmental!

     “I don’t know. I don’t care.” And again, I sink onto my seat feeling humiliated.

     I put my headphones on and turned the volume up. Though the volume’s up, I can still hear them and feel long face’s stare.

 

xxx

     I decided to not skip History to make my mind busy. When I was on my way, I saw Sungjae. He was wearing his basketball uniform. All yellow with black details. He smirked and did not say a word. Maybe I shouldn’t go to History. Maybe I should go to the bathroom and cry my eyes out.

 

 

     Still, I decided to go History. Everyone is yawning and Mr. Park talks so slow. He’s not even 40! I gaze up to sky. History.... the whole series of past events connected with someone or something. Maybe it is part of the history.

 

“You and Sungjae don’t suit each other! Popular people are for popular people. You can’t date him!” Krystal shrieked.

I sighed with pain, “I don’t want this to affect our friendship. Sungjae and I have been dating for almost 3 months! And you know that I really do like him.”

Krystal shrugged and turned her back. “No. I am your best friend and you are supposed to support me. Sungjae doesn’t look at you the way you look at him. I can see it. You can’t date him, Joy. You can’t.”

 

     History class was a blur and I decided to sit on the porch to wait for the bus. Ever since Krystal got mad at me, everyone left me. But that’s okay.

     I fished out my phone and played Candy Crush. Who needs friends? I don’t need friends.

 

     The bus came and I went inside. I noticed that long face is already at his seat. He stood and I made my way to my seat beside the windows.

“You’re always alone,” he said. “And girls are mean to you.”

Ha! Talk about being alone. “You’re alone too.” I said without looking at him.

“No...”

I rolled my eyes. Long face is a struggle.

“I just wanted to be alone. Everything in this school is so modern. I don’t even have a phone.” He’s staring at me. I can feel it.

“You should get one. Phones are amazing.” I hugged my books toward my chest.

“Really? Like... really cool?”

“Yes. Really cool.”

 

     I didn’t realize I was talking to long face all the way until the bus stopped at his block. I didn’t even get his name and he’s so excited about getting a phone. I told him he should get an android phone or a smart phone, not the phones with keypad and antenna.

 

xxx

 

     I threw my bag to the floor and lay to my bed. I survived. I put our picture down and cried.

 

     We were best friends since middle school. She was always the awkward girl but many boys were attracted to her. Until now actually. I was very outgoing. I told her not to be shy and I introduced her to my friends. They welcomed her to the squad. I remember when our teachers told us to bring some lace, ribbons or beads because we were going to make a friendship bracelet and we will give it to our best friend. I gave Krystal mine and she gave me hers. Hers was made of a black thick ribbon and a pendant. It looked like a choker but a bracelet.  Mine was made of purple and pink ribbons and some beads that say “JK”.

     Maybe ‘JK’ isn’t ‘Joy’ and ‘Krystal’. Maybe it stands for ‘JoKe’.

 

     Maybe everything was a joke.