Dodgeball

For the First Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Having PE as our first class the next day, Mr. Dong made us run ten laps around the gym to start the morning. The five of them (yes, the gang from lunch yesterday) are all in my PE class, as well as the “third-year kingkas” (Seokjin, Yoongi, Hoseok) and Nayeon. Basically, all the students that I know of at this school are in this class; coincident much. I guess there are grade mix-ups for PE classes.

After the ten laps, Mr. Dong blows his whistle and brings in a bag of dodgeballs. “Okay class, since it’s only the first PE class, let’s chill for today and have some dodgeball fun!” Most of the guys cheered, while the rest of the people, including myself, groaned in boredom. “This class is half second-years and half third-years, so let’s have a second-year vs third-year match.”

Namjoon walked over and whispered to me. “It’s probably best if you don’t try to win them. They’re our sunbaes.” I gave him a nod and turned my attention to the opponents. Nayeon and a group of girls were standing on the senior’s side eyeing up on me. I stepped back and tried to hide behind some people, but they continued to stare at me.

Mr. Dong blew his whistle, and the game officially starts. While everyone started moving around and grabbing balls, Namjoon just stood at the frontline and was the first to get hit. He turned around and gave me a thumbs up before sitting to the side. Dodgeball was obviously not something he enjoyed.

One of Nayeon’s girls threw a ball at me, but I dodged it at the last second. Then I realized that all of them were trying to target me, except most of them were either not throwing hard enough, or had very bad aim.

For the whole first round, I didn’t even try to pick up a ball and just ran around the gym dodging balls, but amazingly enough, I was one of the few who was still standing in the end. I didn’t know any of my teammates still in the game, but I still see Nayeon and a few of the girls still in the game on the other side, probably because no one dared to hit her. They took this opportunity to throw at me in full force. I felt like I was hit by five bullets and fell on my bottom. Yura came to me and pulled me to the side. Maybe I should just learn from Namjoon next time and not try so hard.

Round two started, and once again, Namjoon was the first person out. One ball came flying to my face, and I ducked just in time, but the person behind me did not react fast enough. My instincts told me to dodge the balls, but my mind told me to just get hit and get it over with. Before I could make up my mind, one guy threw a green ball at me with full force right onto my left shoulder, and my foot instinctively stepped back, but instead of gaining balance, I slipped on a ball and twisted my ankle before falling down. I looked at the ground, and I was hit by a tennis ball. What the fudge? No wonder it hurt so much.

No one seemed to notice what happened, but I saw Nayeon smirk at me before high-fiving the guy who threw the ball at me. Oh God, am I going to be like that poor girl that gets bullied in dramas? I swear I’m not main girl material.

As I tried to get myself up, the whole gym all of the sudden turned quiet, so I looked around to see what was going on. Everyone was watching as Seokjin walked across the gym to our side and stopped right in front of me. Uh-oh, a warning signal started flashing in my brain as I saw Nayeon’s infuriated face in the back.

He grabbed onto my two forearms and helped pull me up into a standing position. “Are you okay?”

Mr. Dong came over after seeing the whole class stop their movements. “What’s going on here?”

Seokjin was about to say something, but I stopped him. “Nothing. I just, uh, fell. Yeah. My feet kind of hurts, can I go see the nurse?” I figured I should get out of here before I lose my life.

Mr. Dong looked at my starting-to-swell foot and began to panic. Obviously, he didn’t want my parents to know that their precious daughter got hurt in his class and possibly lose his job. “Oh yes, of course, please do go see the nurse, or even hospital. I’ll pay for everything. Have someone walk you there, don’t hurt yourself even more.”

Seokjin spoke up, “I’ll walk her there.”

That would just make my life worse. I looked around the gym. “Thanks for the offer, sunbaenim, but can I have Namjoon walk me to the nurse? We’re in the same class next period anyways.”

Mr. Dong gave me an okay before telling the class to resume the game. As I turned to leave, Seokjin grabbed onto my elbow. “I’m sorry. If something like that happens again when I’m not around, please let me know.”

So he does know what was going on. “It’s okay, I can take care of myself. Thanks.” Seokjin walked back to the other side, while the five of them came over to check up on me. I turned to Namjoon. “Yo, I’m getting you out of class. Walk me to the nursing office.”

Namjoon’s face lit up. “Wait, really? Yay! Hyemin, you’re the best.”

Yura smacked him in the head. “You’re so mean. How can you be so excited when she just got hurt?”

Namjoon muttered a sorry to me and bowed. “But you’re still the best, I don’t take that back.” He gave me a big, cheesy smile, showing off the dimples on his cheeks.

I gave them a reassuring smile. “I’m fine. I just wanted an excuse to skip class too.” Jungkook rolled his eyes and walked back to the side. The rest of them told me to take care and also walked back while I held onto Namjoon’s shoulder and limped to the nursing office.

The nurse examined my foot and put an ice pack on it after bandaging it up. “I believe you just pulled on a ligament when you twisted your feet, and that’s why your ankle is swelling, but I still suggest you go to the hospital after school to do an X-ray check-up on it just to make sure nothing’s broken inside. Rest for a bit before going to your next class.” She walked out of the room, leaving me and Namjoon in the room.

“Thanks for letting me skip class with you. I’ve always hated PE.”

Haha, I knew it. “No problem. I needed someone to walk me here anyways.”

“I saw what happened earlier. It’s only the second day of school, and Nayeon’s already targeting you. What did you even do to piss her off that much?”

Technically, nothing. She’s just being overly sensitive. “Seokjin sunbaenim saw me in the library yesterday and came over to introduce himself and stuff. Nayeon sunbaenim saw us and came over to take him away. That’s about it.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter