My First Friend

For the First Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Leaving SPP, I went to the coffee shop after getting some lunch. Junmyeon gave me the contracts to sign and told me all the rules and pay and shift time that I needed to know.

“So you’ll be working four hours on weekdays and eight hours on Saturday. Previously, a guy named Youngjae works for this shift with Jungkook, but he’s moving to the US for college, so you can take his place now. Jungkook also goes to Seoul High, so you can make a new friend before school starts! He should be coming in any time now.”

Right when he finished, a guy wearing a big white T-shirt, black jeans, Timberland boots, and a backpack on one shoulder came strolling in. There was a bandage on his hand and a purple bruise on his forehead in which his hair was trying to cover up. He made brief eye contact with me before greeting Junmyeon. His facial features looked very familiar, except I can’t recall ever seeing him before.

“Hi Junmyeon, I’ll get going on work now.”

“Wait, Jungkook, so this is Hyemin, and she will be replacing Youngjae from now on. I want you to help guide her and train her with doing orders. She had experience working in a coffee shop before in China, so it shouldn’t be too hard for her to catch up.” One of the customers called out to him. “Okay, you guys can get to work now. Have fun!” He sounded a bit too excited about work.

Jungkook stuck his hand out for a handshake. “Hi, I’m Jungkook.”

I returned the handshake. “Hi, I’m Hyemin. Nice to meet you.” I paused before pointing towards his forehead and hand. “Uhmmm, you look… hurt.”

He was a bit taken aback from my comment before he touched the bruise and messed with his hair to try to cover it up, “Oh yeah, it’s just a small scratch, it’ll go away soon. So… I guess we should start working now. Follow me.”

I stood there for a few seconds before I turned to follow him. Small scratch? That looked like more than a big scratch to me.

-----

For the rest of the day, he basically showed me how to use the coffee machine to make all the different types of coffee and snacks when I wasn’t busy at the cashier, and he made me deliver all the orders to the customers as well.  There were also quite a number of girl customers trying to get a glimpse of his face, which was quite amusing to watch because he seemed to be avoiding them the most.

For example, one group of girls were especially loud when they all screamed in unison at an extremely ear-piercing pitch in the beginning. “Jungkook OPPA.” Cringe. Several heads turned to look, while Jungkook merely nodded at their existence and continued working.

“Jungkook OPPA, do you have a girlfriend?” Wow, what a straight-forward question.

“No.” Judging from the situation, he should have probably said yes.

“Jungkook OPPA, when are you getting off work today?”

He answered while making their orders. “I don’t remember.”

Someone else pouted while bashing their eyelashes. “Jungkook OPPA, do you want to watch a movie later after work? I can give you my phone number and you can call me when you’re done.” Wow, do girls these days just casually watch a movie with a guy that they don’t even know? How dangero

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter