Chapter 4

Hey Notebook
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hey Notebook!

Chapter 4

 

Jung Eunji

                Destiny is accidentally pulling the trigger of a gun and hit someone else’s heart. It was something that could hurt both of you for a minute, but could end up like Cupid’s arrows. Besides, the only way you can go forward is to step back. I guess I’d stepped back for a moment, to find out what I am after.

                Strangely, it goes straight at Naeun.

                Remember when I set up the list of signs for my destiny? Remember when Naeun did everything perfectly that very same day? Starting from that moment, I guess I referred to her as my destiny. Inside my head, I kinda embraced it too. And like a stupid kid, I ended up following her around like some stupid high school student doing everything for the senior she has fallen in love with deeply.

                Love is such a big word though… don’t you think?

                It was the start of the midterms, or let’s say two weeks before, when at least I could say things started to get better between me and Naeun. I was still overly clueless as to why she somehow hated me back then. I guess maybe because I forgotten her. But who is she really in my life? Why does she seem so disappointed? Above all, JUST WHO IS SHE TO MAKE ME THINK OF HER LIKE THIS? Even Onew of Shinee can’t make me feel this.

                As I was saying, it was near the midterms. And when I said that things getting better between me and Naeun, I meant this.

                “Hey Naeun! You had Math 51 last year right? Can you help me with this one?” I asked that vacant time I share with Naeun. It was around ten in the morning, too early for lunch and too late for breakfast. I wasn’t planning to have either anyway. Coffee is much better.

                I took the seat next on Naeun as she was busy jolting down notes, probably already studying for the midterms. We were in the school’s plaza, a small park-like place in the school. It was built up there for students to study on since sometimes it gets too stuffy back in the library. However, since it was like a park, most of the people that goes there were lovers and sweethearts who do nothing but flirt and do all those sweet things I just ignore. I hate seeing cheesy people being lovey dovey to each other. I can be one too but I do that to annoy my friends, not because I like them.

                “You’re smarter than me. Why ask for my help?” she asked, not even daring to look up to meet my eyes.

                I pouted before turning my head and seeing my precious best friend Solar coming to our way. “Solar!!! Come here!!!” I screamed once again too before excitedly waving my arm in the air.

                Solar greeted me with a hug before plopping on the chair on the other side of Naeun. I didn’t bother asking for her help since I know that she was bad at math either. My only hope is Naeun.

                “Naeun-ah~~~ Help me with this please?” I tried to do it cutely but she didn’t raise her head up high. Instead, she just continued doing here thing.

                Yep, that’s what I mean with being better. She’s not pushing me away anymore or at least being rude or bad at me. And yep, she just ignores me. Ouch on my part but hey if she’s not hating me anymore, I can make her like me back easily too, right?

                Looking at her silent face as she was studying, I ended up just laying my head on the table and staring at her. Solar must’ve noticed me too but ignored it. I swore I saw her face uncomfortable but I didn’t bother it that moment. I was just lost in my own world where Naeun was in it.

                When I got so bored, I decided to take the other earphone on Naeun’s ear and pressed it on my own. Just then a certain song started playing on my ear and my heart thumped for a moment.

I don’t like walking next to you

Our hands brush once in a while

Each time, I wanted to hold it

But then I can’t…

                A strange familiar pain suddenly struck my heart hearing those words. It felt sad and lonely… above all, it hurts.

I don’t like sitting next to you

You’re gonna lean on me and fall asleep

 Until you wake up,

We’ll dream of different dream

“Hhmmm…? Standing egg?” I voiced out suddenly, which made Naeun stop her writing for a moment and look at me.

“Y-you like them too?” she asked in disbelief, taking her earphone slowly and looking at me judgingly. She must’ve thought that it was just another part of my scheme to have her attention. I got it anyway so what?

“Yeah… indie bands too. Peterpan Complex, Blue Paprika, and uhmm… Sugarbowl too!” I said excitingly before grinning at her. “I never really had someone who has the same music taste as me. Solar here is typically useless since she likes Justin Bieber and such--- oww! Chill, Solar! I was just kidding!”

Solar just stuck her tongue out but back to the topic.

I saw a slight smile on Naeun’s lips that makes me somehow happy. I didn’t disturb her anymore and just listened to the song playing on her playlist. Who cares about midterms when I get to share a moment with her like this? When this moment is actually the first moment she never really hated me?

A song of Blue Paprika entitled In this Rain started playing on the back ground when she muttered something under her breath. I didn’t quite hear it since I was so into the song but then she repeated it again, this time she was facing me.

                “You know, hearing a song from years ago can bring back memories… Songs has a certain feel on it and when a certain feel was there in a certain memory, you might end up regaining it.”

                She didn’t say anything anymore as she stood up and prepared to leave. I thought it was like any other moment when she did something I never expected.

                She smiled at me before sticking a note on my forehead, and leaving something on the table.

                I was about to call out to her because of what she left however, I noticed that it was for me after all. And it took me a while to actually decipher what was written on the note…

                “Meet me in my house this Saturday. Let’s study together, smartass.”

 

                I was about to squeal in delight and happiness when I noticed my best friend sleeping soundly on one side, completely clueless of whatever happened.

                A small smi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter