Episode Four

Closer to You

________________________________________________________________________

 

Scarlett sighed, her head leaning against the back wall as she stretched out her weary arms. She observed the bustle around the set - the number of people dying slowly upon Director Kyungsoo’s arrival.

Apparently, the man sent ahead a few specific instructions on the exact number of people he wanted on the set. There was no need for non-essential staff or on-lookers. And since only one camera was being used for that day - only eight people, not including the actors, were left waiting around.

Sehun walked over and joined her, handing over a small styrofoam cup of coffee.

“Two creams, one sugar,” Sehun relayed her exact order.

“Thanks,” she smiled.

“So?” Sehun leaned next to her, their shoulders side by side, “What are you going to do?”

She shrugged.

Scarlett had shared her earlier conversation with Baekhyun, and her best friend had adamantly scolded her for accepting the deal.

This is not the time to jeopardize your position here,’ he had warned, ‘What if you seriously piss off the big guy and end up getting fired?

 

To be honest, Scarlett had not considered the consequences - the contents of the deal had been too tempting.

A once in a lifetime chance to meet an artist she had long admired? When would she ever get luck like that again?

 

She blinked, gaze focusing on two moving figures taking their places on the set. Baekhyun and Chanyeol were running through their lines together - completely immersed in their own world.

Their resonance was without question.

Despite its rarity, it was a curious thing - how Baekhyun could masterfully make Chanyeol smile even for a moment. Especially since most of a day a disgruntled frown pulled at the corners of his lips.

Maybe opposites do attract, Scarlett thought.

The stark differences in their character had also affected their compatibility with the staff. It was obvious that everyone felt more comfortable working with Baekhyun - some even going so far as to joking about the multitude of characters he had played in the past.

On the other end of the spectrum sat Park Chanyeol - a man of distance. Not many words were exchanged between the actor and the staff, save for a few moments when he needed something. It was, of course, out of reverence of his status but there was also a coldness in his tone that seemed off-putting.

So, ultimately, only Baekhyun was left to brighten or even change Chanyeol’s stoic complexion.

And that was why Scarlett had been ever so curious to watch their interactions - every exchange unique and intoxicating.

 

“That’s him,” Sehun nudged her, nodding his head towards a man dressed in a navy blue jacket and black NY cap.

Scarlett couldn’t see his face, he stood halfway within the shade of darkness and to the side - odd, for a director. She squinted, only able to see the outline of his heart-shaped lips.

“He’s not going to run through the script with them?” she pondered out-loud.

“Weren’t you here when he introduced himself?” Sehun sighed.

“I had to go grab them some water,” she replied, gesturing to the two actors, and slightly irritated because it had taken her almost twenty minutes to find the specific brand of water that Chanyeol was able to drink.

And even when she did find it, there was a lack of gratefulness in his silent nod.

She rolled her eyes just thinking about it.

“Kyungsoo likes to watch the first run,” Sehun explained, “He’s worked with them before so he wants to see how they interpret the script. It’s actually really interesting. You’ll see.”

 

Scarlett turned her attention back to the set and subconsciously followed Chanyeol’s every subtle move - the way his hand traced over the lid of the piano or the tilt of his head.

He would repeat the same line over and over with different intonations of his voice as if searching for the right one. And when he did, he would move on.

Despite Sehun’s failed attempt at adjusting Chanyeol’s outfit, the actor eventually fixed it himself. His dark grey tee was half tucked into his dark fitting jeans. He even went so far as to fold the cuff of his sleeves - the same way Scarlett had folded Baekhyun’s jacket.

The lights slowly dimmed, the make-shift moonbeams from the clerestory windows filtering his back with a soft highlight.

Scarlett gulped and then closed her eyes - the drawl of his deep voice filled her mind. It hummed, overlapping and resounding with Baekhyun’s higher tone.

The colors were vivid, emerging and slow as it took shape. She shivered - the surface of her arms littered with goosebumps.

 

It was odd, how conscious she felt even when she knew his eyes were not on her. There was something about him - an unnoticeable tug and pull of magnetic energy.

It was faint, and yet it filled her with a warmth she had not felt in a long time.

What was it? That feeling now leaving her breathless.

 


 

“Hey!”

Her eyes snapped open - Sehun nudged her.

“They’re starting,” he smirked, his arms now comfortable linked with hers.

 

And so it began –

– after a brief nod of acknowledgement from both actors –

– they were ready.

 

This was the first moment Scarlett felt it - the temptation of a siren to a wandering sailor -

- the first time she drowned into the depths of Park Chanyeol’s mysterious world.

 


SCRIPT


 

(Establishing shot - camera match dissolve)

Chanyeol is alone in the basement, bent over the piano as he works through some notes on his sheet music.

(Camera swivels, pans to face)

His eyes droop slowly - a lull of sleep as his unkempt bangs are twisted loosely into a knot - a habit of stress. He stretches his long arms, lips parting into a loud yawn and settling into a troubled sigh.

(Medium shot)

He leans back - the creak of the wooden bench interrupting he silence as he stares at the notes on his half-filled sheet music.

He closes his eyes as brows scrunch together in deep thought. The hum of cars buzzing past the highway just a few blocks away fill in the soundless moments.

His cell-phone buzzes against the oak coffee table - reverberating endlessly but he ignores it. It resumes - relentless interrupting his train of thoughts until it slowly dies with one last angry buzz.

(Camera pans out)

Moments later, a door slams. Footsteps patter against the wood floor and then down the stairs until it stops.

Chanyeol sighs, groaning and preparing himself for the worst of it. He turns his head to face the door - the tick of his watch clicking on his wrist.

(Camera switches to door)

The aluminum cased door knob turns and then abruptly swings open - hitting against the wall with absolute strengths - bits of ambient light poor into the room, flushing against the silhouette of a figure standing at the doorway.

Baekhyun walks in, his face depicting every bit of irritation in the center of his dark pupils.

 

Baekhyun: You realize dinner with the producers is in an thirty minutes right?

 

He walks briskly across the room - grabbing the cell phone on the table and shaking his head at all the missed calls. He glares at Chanyeol and then at the mess around the room - a bag of open Cheetos on the coffee table, an empty coffee mug, and the scattered sheet music on the floor.

He walks over to Chanyeol and glances at the sheet music on the piano.

 

Baekhyun: Please don’t tell me you’ve been ditching my calls because of this.

Chanyeol: I was ditching your calls because of this.

Baekhyun sighs again because he doesn’t see an ounce of regret on his friend’s face.

 

Baekhyun: New song?

Chanyeol nods his head.

 

Baekhyun walks over to the coffee table and grabs the bag of cheetos, smirking with secret revenge as he drops into the tattered couch and tears into the bag.

Baekhyun: So? Let’s hear it.

 

Chanyeol begins to play. The melody is soft with deep undertones. He stops halfway.

Chanyeol: That’s all I have so far.

Baekhyun: Need me to save the day?

Chanyeol chuckles at the cockiness in his friend’s tone.

Chanyeol: Like you could do any better.

Baekhyun shrugs, his smirk widening and creasing into his eyes. He leans his head back into the couch.

 

The lightly dims even more - a dim glow of neon light flooding the room. The carelessly stuck glow-in-the-dark stars on the ceiling begin to awake. The number is endless - one for everyday they dared to dream.

Baekhyun silently counts them in his head - his eyes glazing with childlike wonder.

Chanyeol watches his expression and instantly knows - it doesn’t take much because they’ve shared the same dream since childhood.

 

Baekhyun: We’re really doing this huh? Finally releasing our music to the world?

Chanyeol: ….yea…

 

Chanyeol gets up and joins his friend on the couch - they sit together, side of side, their heads leaned back as they stare at the ceiling - remembering all the years of hard work that brought them to where they are today.

 

Baekhyun begins to smile and then chuckle and then laugh.

A hearty laugh.

It resounds inside the small room, filling every crack on the concrete floors.

The laughter is infectious - paralyzing.

 

Chanyeol’s lips pull aside and he follows suit - their laughter bellowing from the depths of their gut as they think of everything they’ve been through together.

 

Two friends lost in time.

 

Once again, they’re back to the beginning.

 

Back to being just another boy dreaming of endless dreams.

 

(Camera pans back. Dissolves and fades out)

 

[END SCENE]

 


 

The scene was short.

However, every part latched onto her like a leech and time passed as quickly as it stilled. With every lift of her chest, she could feel her breath leaving her lips - feel herself sinking into this world that they had created together.

With every fall of her shoulders, she could feel Sehun beside her and know that he was lost too in some ethereal piece of time.

 

After it was over, the two actors returned to their usual selves - a casual banter evaluating their performance and exchanging ideas with each other. Without notice, each would sneak glances across the room to the back wall - each with a different certainty and curiosity.

Baekhyun’s glances were easy to read - Scarlett could sense his cunning ploy swirling around his twinkling eyes and upturned lips. There was also a tiny ounce of something in his brows at the sight of Sehuns’ arms intertwined with hers, but it was too quick to be noticeable.

Chanyeol’s glances were difficult - like figuring out one of those old Chinese puzzles. Blindfolded. There was not anything clear in his expressions and if there was - she was not able to figure it out. For a moment, though, as he was smiling at something Baekhyun had said - his gaze lingered towards her.

Lingered. Not for more than a second, but enough that when it met hers - it surged with infinite electricity, pouring through her every nerve and causing her cheeks to flush.

 


 

No one noticed Director Kyungsoo’s missing presence. He left with stealth becoming of a ghost, without so much of a word of compliment or advice to the actors. Their boss, Joe, shared that it only meant the director was thoroughly satisfied with how the actors had interpreted the script.

Apparently, this was Kyungsoo’s usual way since neither of the actors seemed to mind. Joe, on the other hand, was in a brilliant mood - his face beaming after the shoot and sharing how he was going to brag to his friends about what he had witnessed today. His good mood even went so far as to directing Scarlett and Sehun to treat the two actors to dinner on the company card.

Now that was a surprise to them both - seeing as Joe was usually a penny-pincher.

Although, a free meal was appreciated especially since they had both skipped lunch, neither seemed the least bit comfortable with the idea of spending some intimate time with Baekhyun and Chanyeol.

 

“Heard you’re treating us to lunch?” Baekhyun strutted over, carelessly throwing his arm over Sehun’s shoulder.

Sehun shrugged it off - already now used to Baekhyun’s disregard of other people’s personal space.

“There’s a few places walking distance from here,” Sehun commented, “Any specific preference?”

“Ramen” Baekhyun replied quickly, “No wait, definitely seafood JJamppong!”

“Jjamppong?” Scarlett raised her brow. She found it odd that an A-list celebrity such as Baekhyun would want seafood noodles when most of her usual clients would demand either high-end sushi or steak.

“Yep,” Baekhyun smiled and then paused - turning to his tall friend, Chanyeol, who had joined mid-conversation. He nudged him. “Right?”

“Sure,” Chanyeol replied nonchalantly as if he already had no say in the matter.

“Okay,” Sehun affirmed, “Jjamppong it is then,” he checked with Scarlett, “Gomo Mirei’s Noodle House?”

Scarlett agreed, gulping as Chanyeol’s shoulder accidently brushed against hers.

 


 

“So?” Baekhyun stepped up beside her - grabbing the empty cups from her hands. Despite how busy the noodle house was, they had managed to grab a private room in the back, away from all the noise.

Baekhyun had followed her to help get some drinks from the serve-yourself section of the bar - or more like Baekhyun had volunteered the both of them, dragging her along before she had any say in the matter.

She raised her brow.

“Your plan,” Baekhyun explained, “About Yoda.”

“oh…,” she pressed her lips together, “I don’t know yet, I mean….I hardly know what ticks him off.”

 

And it was true, she had only known Park Chanyeol for a whole day after all. It wasn’t like she was avoiding it - although the thought of angering the man did make her limbs melt like butter.

 

Baekhyun chuckled. “Yoda’s really not that hard to figure out.”

“Easy for you to say,” she scoffed, “You’re his best friend.”

“True,” he smirked, handing her two filled cups of water to put on the tray, “Too bad there’s only a few days till Saturday.”

Scarlett groaned heavily.

 

“Since I know him so well,” Baekhyun offered, pitying her misery, “Should I give you a hint?”

She nodded, waiting for him to elaborate as an ever so-composed smirked remained plastered on his face.

 

But then she paused. Everything from Baekhyun came with a price - that was one thing she had learned from their brief conversations. 

 

“What do you want in return?” she questioned.

Baekhyun winked and then laughed.

“I knew you were smart,” he plopped half cut lemons into their cups, “Here’s what I’m offering. We’ll exchange numbers and I’ll give you hints about Yoda’s weaknesses from time to time. In return, you and Sehun take us out to lunch everyday till the weekend.”

“Okay, but…” Scarlett frowned, “Why is Sehun part of the deal?”

Baekhyun’s eyelids crinkled with delight. “That’s a secret,” he whispered.

She stared at him with curiosity, but Baekhyun already was walking away, the tray of water in his hand, as if he had explained it perfectly.

 

As soon as they walked back in the room, Scarlett could feel the intense silence and Sehun’s pleading glare at leaving him alone in the room with Chanyeol.

“Sorry,” she mouthed to him. 

They mostly ate in silence, while Baekhyun and Chanyeol continued on discussing how to further expand on their roles. It wasn’t until Chanyeol had left to use the bathroom that Baekhyun scooted over next to her.

Sehun stared at them pensively - a deep dissatisfaction on his face but didn't bother to say anything. 

 

“Here’s your first hint,” Baekhyun leaned closer, a whisper in her ear, “Did you see the bracelet Yoda wears on his right hand?”

Scarlett thought back and then remembered the silver chain and hammered metal -it had an inscription on it but she couldn’t picture those details.

She nodded.

“He wears that everyday and everywhere - even when he showers.”

“Okay….”

 

Baekhyun smirked, waiting.

“So….?” she stared back.

He sighed.

“I wonder what would happen if that somehow went missing.”

Without waiting for any comment, he scooted back to his side as the door slid open and Chanyeol returned to their table.

 

Scarlett’s lips parted as she watched Baekhyun returning to his usual banter with his friend, as if the conversation he had with her never happened. And she was pretty sure then that Baekhyun was a fox, a sly and mischievous devil.

 

She didn’t notice then as she was lost in thought, her gaze still on Baekhyun’s perfect composure.

 

But when she did, she found Chanyeol’s deep eyes watching her, studying her reaction. This time, his gaze stayed, unwavering and still. 

It stayed that way for what seemed like endless time.

With every countless blink, she could feel herself giving away and diving deeper - deep into the array of endless colors shifting and growing inside of her. 

 

___________________________________________________________________________________________

 

A/N:

A little longer chapter this time ^~^. Hope you guys are enjoying the story so far! It's been so much fun trying to figure out how to write each character. Let's see what Scarlett ends up doing, haha!

Thanks always for your support and reading!

See you guys next Monday!