Episode One

Closer to You

You were unexpected

A drift in the wind, distant and fleeting.

 

She traced the words, ink buried deep on a napkin stuffed within her moleskin diary. In her eyes was a vision of colors, deep yet light, centered yet moving - the engine hummed in rhythm; the low chatter of passengers drowning in her mind.

Next Stop. Kensington and Way.

Next Stop. Kensington and Way.

The announcement was abrupt and yet unheard; her focus distant until the shriek of metal, of foot hitting pedal as her forehead collided against the cool glass of the bus window.

She hissed, groaning as a few of the other passengers stared at her pitifully. A line was already forming, everyday office workers impatient to get to work on time. She quickly put her diary away in her backpack and got up.

“Sorry, excuse me,” she muttered - bumping past a few people standing, refusing to give her way. She scrunched her nose - a waft of sweat and thick cologne filling her senses as she quickly slipped out the bus door and onto the street.

One look around and she cursed out loud. She had missed her stop, this was at least two to three blocks away from the cafe.

As the bus engine roared away - she sighed, lugging her bag over her shoulder and plopping on her overly large pair of shades.

Her phone chimed in her palm, a blinking screen alerting of an incoming call. She swiped the screen and when she saw the time, she cursed again.

 

“Hey,” she answered, cringing at the oncoming scolding she knew she was going to get.

“Scar, where the hell are you?!” an exasperated male voice burst through her earpiece.

“On my way, I missed my stop, are you at the cafe already?”

“I’ve been here waiting for twenty minutes now,” the voice whined, “Hurry up!”

She grinned, picturing the image of a puppy curling into an adorable pout.

“Got it, boss! I’m almost there. Hey, get me a green-tea latte will you?”

“Okay. Want something to eat?”

“Mmm…no.”

“Well, I’m getting you something anyway. Today’s going to be a long shoot, you’ll need the energy.”

“My latte is energy,” Scarlett joked.

“Shut up and you better start running. If you’re not here in five, I’m leaving…..with your latte.”

 

Scarlett rolled her eyes as her friend hung up, and then jolted into a run - swerving past the onslaught of people on the sidewalk.

 


 

Nothing wakes her up better than the smell of fresh coffee and bread. The cafe was packed with a line of people as usual - no one could resist the breakfast croissants.

“Scar!”

She scanned the room, grinning as she caught her friend waving her over to a corner table. She walked past the crowded tables, greeting a few of the baristas she knew.

 

“Morning, ” she smiled as she sat down, tucking her backpack onto the chair next to her.

Her best friend, Oh Sehun, was dressed immaculately as usual and of course, sat in the best possible lighting in the cafe. The sunlight danced on his baby blue shirt as it hung loosely on his build, his ed collar teasing a flash of pale skin. His eyes twinkled a honey brown. always a complete opposite to his sarcastic tone of voice.

“Took you long enough,” he complained, sliding her latte and a freshly baked croissant egg sandwich in front of her.

“Thanks for this,” she mumbled between bites, “Why are we working today anyway? I thought we had the day off?”

Sehun frowned, reaching over to brush the few crumbs on her lips.

“How old are you? Don’t talk with your mouth full,” he chastised, now scraping the crumbs on the table into a neat pile, “Believe me, I was not happy when Joe called me last night. Apparently it's a special case - some famous director or something.”

“Great,” Scarlett sighed, “There goes my one day of soaking in the tub.”

Sehun raised his brow. “Please don’t tell me that’s all you were planning to do.”

Scarlett smiled cheekily back.

Sehun shook his head, “Why do I put up with you?”

“Because you love me.”

“That’s questionable,” Sehun answered, chuckling as Scarlett threw her napkin at his face.

 


 

“So?”

“So….” Scarlett glanced over at Sehun who was sprawled on their studio couch, sipping his coffee from a traveling mug.

“Oh come on, are you going to tell me or do I have to pry it out of you?”

They had both rushed to the studio that morning and spent the past two hours setting up the equipment before Joe, their boss, got ready to call their weekly meeting.

“Tell you what?” Scarlett teased, flipping through another issue of Apartamento because she knew it would drive her friend mental.

“About your DATE?.”

Scarlett smiled, “You are nosy, you know that?”

“Shut up and spill,” Sehun jumped up, dropping down next to her and waiting eagerly.

“Uh…there’s not much to tell….it kind of .”

“Where did you guys go?”

“Some weird restaurant in Millet Town.”

“What restaurant?”

Scarlett laughed, “Why does that matter?”

“Just tell me!”

“Um….something Ailan or something….” she thought out loud.

“AILAN? AS IN LE AILAN?” Sehun was now yelling in her ear.

She grimaced, pushing him back, “Yea that, seriously can you be any louder?”

Sehun fell back onto the couch, arms outstretched as he stared at the tacky stars plastered on their tiled ceiling.

“You need to date this guy,” he pondered out loud.

Scarlett rolled her eyes. “Please, it wasn’t that impressive. The food was expensive sure, but the taste? It was just okay.”

“Not that impressive,” Sehun sat up suddenly, “You realize I’ve been on the waitlist for reservations on that damn restaurant for six months now? SIX!,” he accentuated the words, “You get one y date and get to eat Chef Jacque’s incredible food.”

Scarlett laughed, “French food is way overrated.”

“Over….”Sehun gaped at her and then frowned, “Say that again and I’ll flick your head into oblivion.

 

Scarlett burst into laughter. “Ok Ok sorry to offend your dear Chef’s food. Anyways like I said the date , I won’t be seeing him again.”

Sehun calmed down, tilting his head, “Why?”

She shrugged, “Dunno, not my type I guess.”

Sehun sighed, “No one’s your type.” He leaned lazily against her.

“You’re my type,” she teased.

“Oh please,” he scoffed, “You wouldn’t be able to handle me.”

“I seriously feel bad for the people that you date.”

“Trust me, babe,” Sehun winked slyly, “I leave my partners thoroughly satisfied.”

Scarlett faked a gag and then went back to work and her friend continued to chatter on about some new reality show he was watching.

 



“Pass around the schedule for the next few weeks!”

 

A flutter of paper passed around the lounge room. Scarlett tucked herself between the embrace of long legs, Sehun’s arms wrapped around her waist and chin resting on her shoulder lazily.

A few questionable glances turned to them, mostly the new staff who were not used to their close friendship. The rest of their co-workers had gotten used to it and knew that they were simply childhood friends.

 

A few grumbles erupted as Joe, the supervisor, stumbled in with a couple of ringed binders. No one was happy to be there on a Saturday.

“Morning everyone,” Joe’s low voice boomed across the room, “Trust me this is the last place I want to be today, but this request is from upstairs so expect a long day today….”

Another groan across the room.

Joe continued, “As you all probably know, we’ve been in talks with a certain director over the course of the past months. Nothing was confirmed until a few days ago. Because of the status of the director and also the two actors joining as today, we will be going over a few security procedures. Stan, I expect you to make sure everyone knows this inside and out.”

A muscular man named Stan to Scarlett’s right nodded his head.

“What are they filming, Joe?” one of the senior videographers inquired.

“Today’s just a test shot,” Joe confirmed, “All the info you need is on those sheets that were passed out earlier. I’m sure everyone will be a little more enthusiastic when you take a look at the director.”

Everyone glanced down at their sheets. A rush of murmurs and excitement began to build in the small room.

Scarlett pulled out her sheet. Under director was a name: Do Kyungsoo.

Who’s that?” she whispered to Sehun.

“Seriously? Don’t you watch TV?”

“Don’t have one remember?”

Sehun rolled his eyes. “Kyungsoo is THE trending director right now; every movie he’s produced so far has been a huge hit. Didn’t you see all the ads for his last movie, ‘Fallen’?”

Scarlett shook her head.

“Seriously,” her friend frowned, “Sometimes I wonder why I’m friends with you.”

 

 

Joe went on to explain the security procedures about keeping this shot a secret from the public and who he would need handling Director Kyungsoo’s set up and all.

“And ” he continued, “I wanted this to be a surprise so I didn’t write it down on the sheet. The two actors that will be filmed for this test shot are ones you all have seen everywhere now - Byun Baekhyun…..”

A round of cheers and surprised screams raged in the room. Joe waved his arms to calm them down.

“…and Park Chanyeol.”

The cheers got louder, the excitement vibrated from one person to another.

“Now remember,” Joe warned, “I don’t want to hear about his being leaked into the public, alright?”

Everyone nodded.

“Lastly, I know this is a bit unusual since we’ve never done this before, but I will need two personal assistants to work with the actors and make sure that they remain happy throughout the shooting.”

A few began to volunteer.

“I know everyone wants to,” Joe explained, “But I’ve already decided….Scar and Sehun–”

Envy eyes turned towards them.

“You two will be in charge of their schedule for the next few weeks. This will not excuse you from your regular tasks, of course. Sehun I still need you to work with the Director for set design, and Scar, we’ll be needing your coordinating skills for their outfits. ”

Sehun beamed. Scarlett’s jaw dropped.

“Weeks?” she piped immediately, her brows furrowed, “But Joe, I—.”

“And remember!” Joe interrupted her on purpose, “This is a really great opportunity also for you guys to move up in this industry. If the director and the actors are pleased, it is without a doubt you will be recommended for bigger jobs in the future. So, I am sure none of you will disappoint me.”

 


 

“Ughhh…..”Scarlett rubbed her forehead, “I’m exhausted.”

“How was the talk?” Sehun asked curiously.

“Kyungsoo’s assistant is way too picky.” After going over the script with Sehun, she had personally called Kyungsoo’s assistant to go over what he was expecting as far as the costumes for a short dry-run scene such as today.

After all, they only had a few options in their inventory and its not like she had time to go buy some more.

 

Seemed like this time, Kyungsoo wanted to do a more serious drama - a memoir of a young genius played by Park Chanyeol, who started up a band with his best friend, played by Byun Baekhyun. It was to portray their struggles gaining fame and of course, the love triangle with the daughter of a rich business man.

It sounded like any typical drama, in Scarlett’s opinion. Apparently, they were still casting for the female lead role as Kyungsoo had not found anyone yet that he liked.

 

“How’s this?”

She turned to see the sketch Sehun was working on. It was a loose marker sketch of the inside of a basement.

“Amazing,” she praised, “your perspectives are always spot on.”

He winked, “How about you? Any ideas starting up there?”

“Not sure,” she laid out a few combination of outfits, “I was thinking simple at first, but looking at the script it seems like the main character would have a more uncaring, unkempt look….h.mmm.”

Sehun smirked.

“What?”

“Five seconds ago you were complaining about this whole thing, and here you are actually taking it seriously.”

Scarlett shrugged, “Well Joe did say its important.” She held up a shirt, “how about this one?”

“Could work,” Sehun nodded, “Although dressing Chanyeol might be a challenge. You might want to make sure , he’s ridiculously tall.”

Scarlett paused. All the clothes she had were for average height men. She had forgotten to look at their heights.

“How tall?” she raised a brow.

Sehun grabbed a bottle of water, “You have looked them up right?”

“uhhhh….”

Her friend sighed, grabbing his tablet, “The things I do for you. Here,” he flipped the screen to show her.

“The one on the left is Chanyeol and the right is Baekhyun.”

Scarlett squinted at the screen.

There, on the screen was an image of two men posed against a brick wall. Even from a distance, she could see the difference in their height.

She glanced at Baekhyun first. He was posed very casually, his head cocked to the side just a little with a b smile plastered on his pale face. Despite his short stature in comparison to the other, his presence was equally compelling. The crinkles in the corners of his eye were mischievous and telling.

She glanced to the left. Her heart stopped, a gulp stuck in the back of the throat. The certain stoic pensiveness on his face was familiar. He was more dramatically poised, his chin slightly up, eyes looking down. The jacket slipped halfway down his arm, revealing a plain white T underneath.

In all her life, there had only been a few men who had taken her breath away. It was like a spark, a light going off in her mind as the dark mystery lurking in the shadows of his face reached into her memory.

 

“Oh God,” she mouthed.

“Yea,” Sehun smirked, “Crazy good looking huh?” mistaking her shock and walking off to get some more material.

 

Scarlett shut her eyes and then stared back down at the screen. The face was familiar and yet unfamiliar.

She remembered the sound of the ocean, the breeze winding through his dark hair - the way his lips curled to a smile.

She took a deep breath.

She remembered one last look, his studying gaze, his words as he spoke his name to her.

 

 

“Park Chanyeol.”