Chapter 1: The End

This Star

A/N: Dark blue is for flashbacks.

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

“We’re done. I realized this relationship won’t go anywhere. I don’t see myself spending the rest of my life with you. I loved you. And I thought we would last longer. But you see, I was wrong. Feelings fade away. I’m sorry. But we can’t be together anymore.”

 

She holds my hand and places something on palm, and then she slowly closes my hand and pushes it back to me. The object feels cold in my hand. I look at it and see a ring.

 

Our engagement ring. No!

 

“No. No. Jaehee. Please don’t do this. Please.  I love you.” “I’m sorry.” She turns her back to me and starts to leave.

“Don’t leave me."  

 

I stare at her retreating back. Here it is. She's finally leaving me. The moment I've been dreading. And I can't do anything to hold her back. I can't move my feet. It's like I've been stuck to where I am standing right now the moment she said those words.

 

And then, she’s gone.

 

She broke it off. Our happiness. Our love.

 

Seven years of being together. I didn’t know it would end just like that. In 20 seconds, she ended our seven long happy years of being together. I didn’t know I was counting the seconds while she was speaking. It was like my mind was trying to block out her voice so my heart wouldn’t get hurt with her words.

 

“Jaehee-yah…..”

“You said you would never leave. We promised each other.”

“Jaehee”

 

I call out to her. I hear the door slam. And I feel weak in the knees. I feel like all the strength in my body was out the moment she turned her back from me. I lose my balance and fall to the floor.

 

I feel dizzy all of a sudden. This isn’t happening. Please let this be just a dream. The girl I’ve spent my whole life loving, left me.  I thought I’d spend the rest of my life with her. We’ve had everything planned out for us. We’d buy a house. Get married and have kids and spend every waking moment together.

 

But now, it’s all gone.

 

I can hear my heart shattering into a thousand pieces. And unknowingly, tears start to fall from my eyes. I haven’t blinked since she closed the door.

Sobbing, I look around and see our memories together. The abandoned warehouse we made into an art room years ago. More like, our diary.

I see photographs of us. Hundreds of it. Pasted on the wall. Paintings of her I made. Her sculptures of me. Sketches of her. Our doodles on the wall.

Everything flashes back in my eyes. Our moments. And it makes my heart hurt.

 

I scream and scream. Wanting all this pain to go away. My head is throbbing. It hurts so much. My sanity is slowly slipping away.

Pain. I can feel pain everywhere. I try to glance around my surroundings and everything’s becoming so blurry.

I scream one more time.

I see black. And then, nothing.

 

---------

 

“Hey! Stop it! What are you doing!? Stand up! People are staring already.”

 

She looks at me, clearly confused. She looks around and true enough, people are starting to gather around us.

I too, glances around us and I can see the autumn leaves falling and being carried by the wind. Right, it’s already autumn.  Everything’s so beautiful. Everything is perfect. I look at her again.

 

“Jaehee, my beautiful princess. The star that lights up my dark world. I want to spend the rest of my life making you happy and feel loved. You’re the best thing that has ever happened to me. And I want to be the one for you. I love you. Till forever.”

 

She covers and she looks down on her feet, I can see her blushing. The wind blows her long hair. She looks so perfect.

 

“Will you give me the chance to be the father of your children and be yours forever? Will you be my star? Will you marry me?”
She looks up at me and our eyes meet.

 

“Jinyoungie…” Her eyes are wide and moist. They’re sparkling. And I don’t know if it’s because ofthe sun that’s reflecting her eyes that makes them sparkle much more, adding effect to her beauty, or it’s because of the tears that are slowly forming in her eyes.

 

“Jaehee??”

 

She pulls me up from my position and grabs my hands and hugs me. Her arms tightening around me and I can hear her sob.

 

“Yes! Yes! I will marry you Jinyoung. I will be your bride. And I want to be the mother of your children.”

 

My world suddenly stops and it’s just the two of us. My tears start to fall and hug her like it would be our last hug together.
“I love you so much Jaehee. Thank you. Really.”

 

“I love you too, Jinyoung, I will stay by your side forever.”

 

“Promise?”

 

“Promise. Forever and always.”

 

-----------

 

I wake up with tears in my eyes. I have been crying in my sleep.

Why does my bed feels so cold. No, this isn’t my bed. I try to sit myself up and look around my surroundings. I shiver from the cold. Right, it’s winter already.

 

But, where am I?

My eyes dart everywhere and scenes from last night flashes back to me and I find myself crying again.

 

Suddenly, I hear a banging from the door.

“JINYOUNG!!! ARE YOU THERE!?”

It’s a male’s voice and it’s frantic. “Jinyoung! Open the damn door!”

 

I stand and slowly drag myself to the door. I turn the knob and the door immediately opens.

 

“Jinyoung! I’ve been looking for you everywhere!” “Mark??? Why are you here?” Confuse evident in my voice.

 

“What’s happening?” He looks at me and I can see something in his eyes. He’s holding something back. He takes one deep breath and looks at me straight in the eyes.

 

“It’s Jaehee.”

 

Just hearing her name makes my heart thump faster. And I step closer to him, clearly curious of what he has to say.

 

“Why? What happened with Jaehee??” Confuse evident in my voice. Mark pauses and I can sense him doubting himself if he should tell me.

 

“She’s gone.”

 

Mark looks down as he takes another deep breath.

 

I close my eyes and I see her face. She’s smiling. She’s so beautiful. My star. It pains my heart knowing she broke up with me.

 

“I know. She left me. She was here last night. She broke it off.” I shrug nonchalantly. Mark takes me by surprise as he grabs my shoulders.

“No idiot! I didn’t mean moving away. Jaehee…”

 

His voice falters and I can see tears springing in his eyes.

 

“Jaehee…

She’s dead.”

 

I squeeze my eyes shut and I hear her voice in my mind. Sweet and soft and faint.

 

“Always and forever Jinyoung.”

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*