Rose Petals are for Farewells & Begin again Beginnings

I Don't Do Valentines

~Listen: Taeyeon - UR

Of course they hadn’t gone all the way; just as things really got going, Kibum rolled from beneath Jonghyun and onto the floor. Jonghyun places Kibum’s hands to his crotch and the cupids eyes widen. “You’re…erect…” he breathes and Jonghyun rolls his eyes. “Of course. What were you expecting? I’m attracted to you and we’re in a kind-of-sort-of-very arousing predicament.” Jonghyun moves Kibum’s hand against his crotch and the younger chews on his bottom lip. Jonghyun grunts, moving his free hand to Kibum’s hair where he gently tugs on it. Kibum watches his expression and with a heavy sigh he pushes Jonghyun away and rolls off of the bed and onto the floor. There’s a thudding sound and Jonghyun looks down to see what had happened. “What the hell Kibum!?” Kibum was sprawled across the floor, his feline eyes staring blankly up at the ceiling. “I can’t…”

“I thought we went over this.”

“It’s not that you can’t, but I can’t.” he pushes himself off of the floor and meets Jonghyun’s gaze, he wore a bittersweet smile. “If I have with you now it’d be like a one night stand.” Jonghyun crosses his arms over his chest, trying to ignore the poking against his lower abdomen. “Why?”

“I have to leave soon, very soon.”

“Oh…” Jonghyun pushes his bangs out of his eyes. “I forgot…”

Jonghyun mindlessly thrums the strings on his guitar, his gaze focused ahead of him as he thought about Kibum. He has to leave. Today’s the last day and he has to leave. The door to the café jingle opens and Jonghyun blinks, breaking his trance. Jooyoung walks into the café, lifting his hand in a modest wave. He glides over to Jonghyun and pulls up a chair to sit beside him. “You look a bit down.” Jooyoung notices, reaching up to adjust a loose strand of hair in Jonghyun’s eyes. “Yeah…a friend of mine is leaving.”

“Is it that roommate of yours?” Jonghyun nods. “Even though he annoys you, you’ll miss him.” Jonghyun nods again. “Even though you won’t tell me, you’re in love with him.” Jonghyun’s eyes widen and his head snaps around to look at Jooyoung. Jooyoung laughs lightly. “It was hella obvious.” Jooyoung says gripping Jonghyuns nose between his thumb and forefinger. “Aigoo and now he’s leaving.”

“Yeah…” Jonghyun mutters, his hands stilling against the guitar strings. “Where is he going?”

“Very, very far away.” Jooyoung his head to the side. “That far, huh?”

“Yep, that far.” Jonghyun’s tone was dry and his eyes felt heavy. See? This is exactly why I don’t bother myself with love. I should have stopped it in the first place. I should have--“If you don’t fall in love by the end of this week,” He takes an elegant step forward, the hand behind his back holding a silver bow and arrow. “I’ll steal your heart.” He points the of the arrow at Jonghyuns chest, staring into his eyes. “Understand?”—Lets think about it Jonghyun, ever since Kibum, with his gorgeous face and sweet aura dropped in, you never had the chance of stopping it. It was already decided since the beginning that Kibum was going to steal your heart, admit it, you wanted him too.

Jonghyun swallows and ever so slowly he places his guitar aside and rises to his feet. “Jooyoung…”

“Yeah?”

“I’m sorry.” Jonghyun bows deeply. “For getting your hopes up, for dating you while I loved someone else.” He kept his head down and with a hearty chuckle, Jooyoung says “So he finally admits it.” He places a hand to Jonghyun’s shoulder. “No need for such formalities, we aren’t in the Han dynasty times.” Jonghyun raises his head and their eyes meet. “Thanks.” He smiles at Jooyoung, taking a step forward and hugging him. A few people look towards them, leaning towards each other to whisper and blush. “We’re being stared at.” Jonghyun notices, his cheeks flushing, but Jooyoung wasn’t going to let him go. “Let me hold you for a little longer so I won’t miss what I could have had.” Jonghyun’s lips part in a small gasp and his heart flip-flops in his chest. Love hurts. Love heals. Love…comforts. “Okay,” Jooyoung pats Jonghyun’s back and pushes him away by his shoulders. “Thanks.” He says looking into Jonghyun’s eyes. Jonghyun shakes his head. “Don’t mention it.” They end on shaking hands and Jonghyun picks up his guitar, leaving the café to go search for Kibum.

<3

He was mindlessly watching the drama on TV, his legs crossed as he contemplated all things Valentines Day and cupid. Jonghyun had yet to fall in love…well…he did, but not with who he was supposed to. “God damn it.” Kibum jumps to his feet, turning the TV off and blasting the radio. He dances up and down the living room, his hips moving, hair whipping from side to side and he tried not to think about Jonghyun’s hands on him or what he had said the other day. Or how Kibum had felt during it all. He missed it. Being loved, being cared for. He was a cupid and he was tired of seeing others so happy with their loved ones—even if it was his job—for once he’d like to be happy with someone he loved and someone who loved him back. He’s so caught up in the music and his thoughts, to notice the front door opening and Jonghyun slipping inside. Jonghyun closes the door with his foot, being that his hands were full with a bouquet of bright red roses. His eyes land on Kibum’s dancing figure and he smiles, inching his way closer to Kibum. If he could keep him in his arms, hold him there so that every morning he could awake to his dazzling face…he’d do it. But he knew that, that wasn’t what Kibum wanted. Jonghyun hides the roses behind his back and calls Kibum’s name. “Hey, cupid!” But Kibum didn’t hear him, nor see him since he kept twirling ‘round and ‘round, his blonde hair glittering. Jonghyun steps closer to Kibum, so close he almost gets knocked out by Kibum’s swinging hands. “Hey, Kibum!” this time Kibum spun around, tripping into Jonghyun’s arms, his eyes wide. He looks up and Jonghyun looks down at him with a crooked grin. “Having fun all by yourself, huh?” Kibum nods pushing himself away and lowering the volume. “May as well make the most of my last day.” He smiles meekly. Jonghyun watches Kibum’s graceful movements and says abruptly. “I’m going to miss you.” Kibum turns to meet his eyes and he laughs to himself. “You won’t ever be able to get away from me, babe, no matter how hard you may try.” Kibum winks, shoving his bright bangs out of his eyes.

Jonghyun reveals the roses in his left hand and s them out to Kibum. “What are—“

“I never liked roses.” Jonghyun begins to say. “Or chocolate or love and all that other mushy junk.” His brown eyes were steady on Kibum. “I think it’s because I never gave it the chance or because I could never find the person who would make me smile daily…like you do Kibum.” Jonghyun sighs his lips and continuing on as though he had to get the words out. “I think that some part of me knew that you existed and so I spent all those years, dating, messing around, but never falling in love because I was waiting for you.”

“Don’t you think that’s a little too—“ Kibum begins to say but Jonghyun shushes him. “Hush, please, give me this moment. I’m trying to stop you from leaving.”

“I’m not leaving Jonghyun, you just won’t see me as often…for a few years or maybe months depending.”

“But I want to see you; I want to take you places, I want you to hear music you’ve never heard before. I want to sing for you and make love with you—I want to hold your hand and spend Valentines day with you and nobody else.” Jonghyun steps forward shoving the roses into Kibum’s chest. “Even if I ask you to give me that…I know that you can’t.”

“You’re being a bit dramatic Jonghyun and also very cute, why can’t you do this with someone else?” Kibum asks with a small smile, his hand now resting on Jonghyun’s arm. “You aren’t taking me seriously, Kibum.”

“I know and I’m doing that purposely because otherwise, I’ll stay with you and I’ll end up doing something I vowed never to do.”

“And what was that?” Kibum looks at the roses, toying with the petals and then replying softly. “Falling in love with you.” Jonghyun takes a step back and Kibum takes the bouquet from him, bringing the flowers to his nose and inhaling. “They’re sweet.” He murmurs and Jonghyun stares at him. “You’ll…fall in love with me…” he starts slowly and Kibum nods without looking away from the roses. “You’ll fall in love with me.” Jonghyun repeats, but slowly his expression was changing, his lips were curling up and he smiles revealing his white teeth. “Kibum, my stupid-cupid will fall in love with me.”

“Hey,” Kibum looks up with a glare. “I’m not stupid.” But Jonghyun rushes forward as though he hadn’t heard Kibum and he kisses him. He slides both his hands up Kibum’s neck and rests them against his cheeks, where his thumb moves in circles across his skin. He tilts his head continuing to kiss Kibum, taking another step forward so their bodies could press together. After a moment Jonghyun finally pulls away, his eyes sparkling. “Go ahead, fall in love with me.” He states. “And I won’t hurt you nor will I leave you.” Kibum blinks trying his best to make sense of what just happened. Dazedly he touches his lips that were just kissed and stares at Jonghyun. “Don’t act like that surprised you,” Jonghyun begins to say slipping a hand around Kibum’s waist. “We went farther yesterday.” He smirks and Kibum looks to him with squinted eyes. “You’re persistent aren’t you.” Kibum murmurs and Jonghyun shrugs. “If I had dated, my past girlfriends would have told you that I always got what I wanted.”

“Uh-huh.” Jonghyun grins pulling Kibum closer and kissing the side of his neck. Kibum’s eyes flutter, his head tilting slightly to give Jonghyun more access. Seeing that he is distracted, Jonghyun takes the chance to Kibum’s behind. His hand descends slowly down and then his fingers curl into the back of Kibum’s jeans. Kibum jolts, his eyes widening. Jonghyun continues to plant kisses up and down Kibum’s neck, roughly squeezing his . “Hey!”

“I bet Haeil got to you.”

“Yeah, but he wasn’t so rough. It’s not going to run away from you.” Jonghyun chuckles deeply, giving Kibum’s a nice little slap before turning away from him. He sighs, running a hand through his hair and saying to the ground. “When…are you leaving?” Kibum places the roses onto the coffee table and replies. “Sometime tonight.”

“Tonight…” Jonghyun echoes and Kibum walks around him falling back onto the couch. “Yeah, they’re waiting up on my report.” He groans, his hair. “I’m gonna get in trouble because I couldn’t complete my mission. Subject Kim Jonghyun: failed.” Kibum hits his fists into his chest and sighs. Jonghyun thought the action was cute despite Kibum’s frustration. He grins and extends his hand towards Kibum. “Lets go on a date.” Kibum stares up at him a question forming on his face. “A date?”

“Yeah, to the movies, shopping or whatever you want to do.”

“Jonghyun, please, lets just stay here.”

“And do what? Because I only have one thing on my mind if we stay here.” He says honestly, his eyes locking onto Kibum’s. With a sigh and a grin, Kibum rises to his feet. “Fine, a date it is.” He takes Jonghyun’s hand, but instead of shaking, Kibum pulls Jonghyun into his body and hugs him tightly. “I’m going to miss you too.” He confesses and Jonghyun blinks, his heart racing. “You’re not like, going to have to watch over somebody else are you?” he asks, worry seeping into voice and Kibum shakes his head. “No, I just won’t be able to see you up close or hug you like this.” Kibum sighs. “Or whisper in your ear and call you babe.” Jonghyun shivers as Kibum’s lips brush against his ear. Kibum steps back, grabbing up his coat and bouncing towards the front door. He glances back at Jonghyun with a bright smile. “Coming?”

“Huh? Yeah, yeah.” Jonghyun follows after him thinking that he really was going to miss the smell of roses and chocolates more than anything in the world.

They held hands on their way to wherever they decided on going. Jonghyun kept his eyes on Kibum afraid that the cupid would flutter away, afraid that he wouldn’t see him again. And the air smelt sweet and was cool against their skin and the setting sun cast a pink hue across the sky. It was as if the world was pushing them together, giving Jonghyun a helping hand so that he could further convince Kibum to stay. And he wondered what would have happened if he said those three words. If it would have worked like magic. Kibum turns to look at Jonghyun, his lips spreading into a smile. “What is it?” he asks and the sun glows across his face and Jonghyun came so close to saying “I love you.” So very, very close and he could tell that Kibum knew that he was close to saying it. He’s a cupid, of course he knows. But instead of saying anything like that, he pulls Kibum down into a kiss and takes off down the sidewalk. Kibum blinks, staring after Jonghyun in shock. “Come on!” Kibum laughs to himself before taking off and after Jonghyun.

Kibum was close to saying it to—he knew—as a cupid; he understood his limits and his feelings. He loved Jonghyun, watching him, guiding him and showing him that love wasn’t as horrible as he thought. He was glad that he could show that to Jonghyun…he was glad that Jonghyun was his subject and no one else’s.

…..

Kibum had left in the middle of the night leaving behind a note: You’re probably going to be really upset when you read this. Jonghyun was more than upset, he was heartbroken. But I had to leave, if we did that cliché “Don’t go” thing I probably would have gagged and you too. Romance to me is more than a drama you see on TV, it’s real life and in real life such goodbyes are hard to word. In real life you don’t just say “don’t go” you force that person to stay. And I couldn’t let you do that and I didn’t want you to because I know I would have stayed. Jonghyun’s eyes flitted across the words. Sooo, I had to leave. I’ll be back, I’ll always return, haah, it’s tougher than I thought it’d be. He imagined the sound of Kibums nervous laughter and it warmed and broke his heart at the same time. When I return I’ll have that golden arrow I always talked about^^ I’ll shove it up your like I promised ;) Jonghyun laughed aloud, his eyes pricking with tears. Why am I crying? Why the does it feel so bad? Don’t remember this as something you’d rather forget, don’t think that all love is like this. Sure, hearts get broken, tears are shed, people are missed but it isn’t all that. Spend your Valentines day with your friends or your mom and sister and also spend it with the memories you have of me. And at the bottom of the letter, written in bold English letters was those three words sparkling in Jonghyun’s eyes. “I love you.” And it was like a dam broke and he started sobbing, crying his heart out like a little baby. “I love you too.” He choked into the letter, gripping the paper to his chest and sniffing.

His cupid, forever shining brightly like the sun, calling him by a name that only he could call in such a gentle way. His cupid—Key…Kibum.

A few months later…

Jonghyun places his guitar aside as he stands up to bow to his fans that had come to see his first stage. They were screaming his name and waving their fansigns from side to side hoping to catch his attention. He raises his hand and waves out to the crowd. “Thank you all for coming.” He says into the mic, his eyes glittering beneath the spotlight. They scream and he smiles brightly. “I worked hard to get here,” he begins to say. And that was the truth. After Kibum had left he began to focus on his music, pouring out all his heartbreak and memories into his songs. He produced song after song: It’s Late, U & I, I’m Sorry and so on. It was like Kibum had sparked something in him. The damn annoying cupid and his annoyingly cute smile. Jonghyun was thankful to him. “And I’m so grateful that my hardwork is being recognized by you all.” He bows once more and his fans cheer. He looks across the crowd and inhales. “Thank you.” He exhales, bowing several more times before picking up his guitar and stepping backstage. “Kim Jonghyun! Kim Jonghyun! Kim Jonghyun!” his fans began to cheer and Jonghyun wanted to see Kibum now and tell him “Look at all the people that love me now! It may not be the same type of love, but I love them too.” And he wanted to see Kibum shake his head with that adorable grin of his. He wanted to see Kibum. A year had almost gone by since he had seen him. He dated since then thinking that it would make Kibum happy, but he never got the same bubbly, airy feeling in his chest that he had gotten with Kibum. Late at night he wondered if it had all been a very long and very sweet dream. “Jonghyun, you did great man.” Jooyoung says, patting him on his back. They had become great friends after the dating thing didn’t work out between them. They worked on music together and their voices—although very different—went quite well together. “Thanks, my legs felt like jello up there.” Jooyoung laughs leading Jonghyun down the hall and towards the changing room. “There’s a few fan gifts left in there, so beware.” Jooyoung warns and Jonghyun laughs opening the door to his changing room and slipping inside.

It was quiet and so Jonghyun let out a shaky breath, running a hand down his face. “It’s over…” he exhales, stumbling towards his clothes. He hurries to slip out of his stage clothes, his heart still hammering from the excitement of his performance and the fans screams. Like Jooyoung had said, there were tons of gifts from his fans; teddy bears, cards, candies, flowers and chocolates. Jonghyun liked the chocolates the most because of course they reminded him of Kibum. He stares at the pack of chocolates and reads the name brand. “Only KEY…huh?” he begins to tear into the packet but freezes. The catch phrase on the packet read: Make sweet deals with these chocolates and win a heart. Jonghyun’s eyes widen and his heart races. The words were similar to that of the logo on the business card Kibum had given him from months ago. “Kibum…” he murmurs, dropping the chocolates and swinging the door open. He looks up and down the hall, before taking off, his heart pounding harder with each image of Kibum that flashed across his mind.

Kibum

He’s here

He has to be here

“Woah, Jonghyun!” A stage hand says as he comes flying past him, but Jonghyun pays him no mind, he keeps running. He’s here. He ends up running back out onto the stage. A few of his fans were still waiting to leave and noticing that he’s returned, they scream. “Jonghyun!” He smiles weakly at them, looking around for blonde hair—sparkling blonde hair. “Kibum, Kibum, where are you?” he grips his hair spinning ‘round and ‘round. He was waiting for the sound of Kibum’s voice, for the sweet scent of chocolate and roses and for Kibum to whisper in his ear “I’m back babe.” But none of that happened, instead Jonghyun kept spinning, realizing that he was stupid to assume that out of all the people in world, out of all his fans, that Kibum had sent him those chocolates.

Kibum was gone. He hadn’t come back.

Just like love—he had come and gone.

<3

Jonghyun was walking down the street towards the café in which he had begun his guitar and singing gig. It was a place he went to every now and then when he had a lot on his mind. He opens the door and steps inside; the café smelt comfortingly of coffee and sweets. “Oh, welcome!” the new entertainer at the café—Taemin—greets. Jonghyun bows towards him thinking that he was a pretty young man and that Kibum would probably have fun trying to hook them up. “Would you like something to drink?” Taemin asks and Jonghyun raises his hand as though to say “no thanks.” He sits in the corner of the café and sighs. The sun was setting and the pink hue it cast reminded Jonghyun of his last evening with Kibum. Where are you? Did you lie to me? Jonghyun fidgets with his wrist watch. “How does this cupid thing even work…?” Jonghyun thought aloud, running a rough hand through his hair. The door to the café jingles, but Jonghyun doesn’t look up instead he buries his head in his hands. He expects me to fall in love, but he has my heart… “Welcome.” Taemin greets the man that just walked in but Jonghyun kept his head down. I miss you. I miss you so much.

Footsteps pad against the wooden floor, approaching Jonghyun. “Hello.” A deep voice greets him and just like déjà vu, Jonghyun’s eyes round over with surprise and he stares up at the bright man in front of him. “I’m looking for a Kim Jonghyun? He used to work here…” the man spoke teasingly, a light smile on his lips. “I came to return his heart, but I don’t mind keeping it for a while longer.” Jonghyun jumps up from his seat staring at the man with wide eyes. “Who…are you…?” he asks dumbly and the man laughs. “You should know my name.” he takes a step towards Jonghyun. “The devil? No, no, my cupid.” The man hooks a finger beneath Jonghyun’s chin and says softly. “That’s cute,” He pulls Jonghyun into a gentle kiss, tilting his head up and kissing him as though he would slip away. He pulls back and says with a tender smile. “My name is Kibum, sorry for making you wait.”

That’s right. Kibum was like love—coming and going and returning when missed the most. “I waited for you…” Jonghyun murmurs. “Yes, thank you.”

“I dated for you.”

“Yes…you did.” Kibum smiles, his hand moving towards Jonghyun’s arms. “I tried for you and yet I still love you.” Kibum’s eyes sparkle and he clutches Jonghyun’s hand in his. “And you know what Jonghyun…”

“What?” Kibum pulls Jonghyun towards him so that he could whisper in his ear. “I love you too.” And Jonghyun felt complete. Completely and utterly—complete.

“Hey, did you get that arrow?” Jonghyun asks once their reunion is over. Kibum blinks and then taps his forehead in an ah-hah moment. “Sure did!” Jonghyun smiles and then he grins, dropping his voice to a whisper. “Think we could use it?”

“Use it for what?”

“You know.” His eyes drop across Kibum’s body and a slow smirk snakes across Kibum’s face. “I said I was going to use it on you.” He places his chin in his hands and leans across the table towards Jonghyun. “Wh-what!?”

“Having your penetrated by my golden arrow should be a heavenly experience.” Kibum rattles on and all the color drains from Jonghyun’s face. “Lord no…” Kibum chuckles, gripping the front of Jonghyun’s shirt and pulling him so close their lips touched. “Fine, but you have to say you love me at your next concert.” His breath was hot against Jonghyun’s lips. Jonghyun scoffs. “Is that it?”

“Yeah, there’s nothing else I can think of.”

“Haha, you’ve got yourself a deal, Kibum.” They kiss on it, their eyes closing.

~

Jinki stares into the heart shaped globe atop his desk, Jonghyun and Kibum’s figures reflected in the pink glass and sighs. His partner—Minho—shakes his head. “Are you sure it’s okay leaving them like that?” he asks and Jinki snaps his fingers, turning the globe off. “I’m sure it’ll be fine. Kibum’s cute and he’s been through a lot.”

“So have other cupids, are you making him part of the exception because he’s cute?” Minho questions teasingly. “Maybe, maybe not.” Jinki glances back at Minho. “But what they have surpasses anything I’ve seen from the other cupids. You see it too don’t you Minho.”

“Yes, Kibum’s subject went so far as to have his heart stolen so that they could be together.”

“If that isn’t true love, then I don’t know what is.” Jinki sighs dreamily and Minho hums in agreement. “The other cupids are placing bets to see when they’ll have .” He says and Jinki laughs. “I wonder too.”

“I think it’ll happen by accident.”

“Oh? Really?” Jinki raises a brow and Minho nods. “Kibum’s extremely cute when he’s drunk and I don’t think his subject—Jonghyun—would be able to handle that.” Jinki chuckles warmly. “True, true.” Jinki—the Father of Love—if you’d like to say; made it so that Kibum could happily be together with Jonghyun, lessening the effects of Kibum’s cupid powers. So now, if the two became one, Jonghyun’s heart wouldn’t be locked away or sapped of life—instead his heart would thrive on, beating and loving Kibum only. That’s how it was supposed to be, ever since the beginning.

In Jinki’s eyes he had knocked down to birds with a single stone. Jonghyun’s fear and disdain of love and Kibum’s fear of loving again. You could say that he planned it since the beginning or you could see that it was a spontaneous invasion of love. Helping them both to heal and overcome.

“Happy Valentines Day.” Jonghyun would say in the future with a smile. “I love you.” Kibum would say without fearing for the person he loved. And they could take their “arrow penetration” to the next level.

Marriage always seemed to be a lovely option. 

 

A/N TA-DAH!! So it's over *sighs* this was so sweet anf fluffy and I hope you guys enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it ^^ I feel like i may write an epilogue, but as of now I hoped you enjoyed the adventrues of Cupid Key and Moody Jonghyun! Till next time~!