Chocolates

I Don't Do Valentines

They remind the part-time guitarist of dog-—chocolates—with their brown color and smooth exterior. It melts in your mouth and the texture is somewhat grainy, sometimes smooth—depending—but it’s all . “Excuse me?” Jonghyun looks up from his sheet music, locking gazes with a young woman who wore an anxious smile. Seeing that she has his attention, she smiles and dips her head in a slight bow. “I was applying for a job here.” She points with her thumb to the sign up front. “Aah, you’ll have to talk with the manager.”

“Ah, really?” Jonghyun nods, tuning the strings of his guitar. “Yeah, I only play here on the weekends.”

“What do you usually play?” Jonghyun looks up again, his expression devoid of emotion. “If you get a job here, I guess you’ll find out.” Her round eyes widen and she looks almost offended, but Jonghyun doesn’t catch it or doesn’t care to. With a slight giggle, she escapes the way she came leaving Jonghyun to ponder about her scent. He got a whiff of it when she bowed her head—it was the thick scent of chocolate. His nose wrinkles and then he sneezes, he wipes his nose with the back of his hand and pushes his grey-blue bangs back. Jonghyun’s dated once or twice in his life, but that was only during highschool. He always had a knack for dating girls who couldn’t understand his sense of depth or how he sometimes suffered from insomnia. So when he got tired of dating girls, he started hanging out with guys—even dated one—they messed around, but it was nothing committed. He plucks a single string, feeling the gentle vibrations that thrummed against his palm and caressed his ear. The typical scenario of falling in love and then having your heartbroken and so you vow to never fall in love again, that didn’t happen to Jonghyun. Since the get go love was just sort of “there.” He could obviously tell when others were in love—their eyes would dart around or they’d bite the corner of their lips, there was this one couple who kept tugging at their bangs when they saw each other. He’d watch them with glossed over eyes and then go back to scribbling music notes in his notebook. He looks up to check the time on the mute green clock that hung on the wall diagonal of him. The café was a laid back, mellow and chic type of place, the music he played was of the same sort—somewhat y and husky (if music could be described as husky.) With a belated sigh, he rises up from his seat, placing his guitar down in its case and zipping it up. He slings the case over his shoulder and bows to the man behind the counter. “On your way out?” The man asks, Jonghyun nods, tilting his head in the direction of the clock. “My shifts over.”

“Don’t wanna stay for a little bit longer? There’s a new group over there who hasn’t heard you play.” The man urges, jutting his chin towards a trio of highschool girls, Jonghyun shakes his head. “Not today.” He bows before making his escape. He pushes through the glass door, the brisk air of winter melding into spring hitting his face. He turns to his left and begins his walk to his apartment. Jonghyun slept in most of the time, only getting up when he became restless, which was pretty much always. He’d sit at his computer desk and fiddle around with the idea of meeting someone and starting up a relationship. He’d jot down three good points and three bad points. Thus far the list only contained preconceived ideas.

The good:

  1. Someone to rest my head on
  2. Someone who’d keep my hand warm with theirs

The bad:

  1. Having to worry about them
  2. Rules around Roo and face
  3. No staying up at the three in the morning

Jonghyun thought the cons outweighed the pro’s, it was just too much work falling in love, he could only imagine the process of being in love and then having a relationship. Goosebumps prickle up and down his arm and he turns a street corner, passing a sweet shop that had a goofy looking guy wearing a goofy red hat and holding a just as goofy heart sign with the words BUY DISCOUNTED SWEETHEART CHOCOLATES FOR YOUR SWEETHEART and then beneath that 25% OFF IF YOU BUY A TEDDY BEAR. Jonghyun scoffs, his eyebrows shooting up in contempt. He had the sudden urge to knock the poster out of the guys clammy hands. It wasn’t so much so jealousy towards other happy couples, only a lack of understanding. He didn’t get why they went through so much trouble for a single day—Valentines day—which speaking of, was only a week away. Adjusting the bag hanging from his shoulder, he continues on his trek humming to the tune of some BuskerBusker song from long ago. They were playing a lot on the radio as of late. He reaches his apartment complex—a red brick building that had way too many windows for his liking.  He walks up the concrete steps and unlocks the door. A fresh pinecone scent wafts up his nose—it was from the electric candle he had lit before he left earlier this morning. He closes the door with his foot and gently places his guitar bag on the table to the left of him. “Thank god…” he heaves, pulling his shirt up and flinging it aside. He stood with his torso bare, stretching and basking in the silence. It was a little early to get a shower, but this was his usual schedule. Finish work, shower, play with Roo, listen to music and then write his own lyrics. He scratches his back and trudges down the hallway, his eyes heavy. There were pictures of his sister and his mother lining the paper thin walls and his eyes glimpsed them as he passed. With the grace of pianist at his keys, Jonghyun whisks into his room and looks around for the flannel tshirt he had washed last night. He finds it strewn across the edge of his bed and beside the shirt was the business card of someone he had met while walking the street late last night. “I’ll pay you a visit sometime soon.” The man had said, but Jonghyun didn’t catch a glimpse of his face, but the sound of his voice was quite appealing.

Jonghyun sits on the edge of his bed, his legs spreading as he rests his elbow on each knee. He picks up the card, flipping it each way and then turning it face up to see what was written on the front. ‘I make deals using hearts as payment.’ The logo says, echoing somewhat eerily in Jonghyun’s mind. “What the hell…” He murmurs, his eyes squinting to read the three letters beneath the fluffy wing image printed on the card: KEY, it read. “Key…” Jonghyun says aloud. The moment the name leaves his lips, there’s a snap in the air and an almost cartoonish puff of smoke—that’s as fluffy as the clouds—envelopes the room. Jonghyun jumps up from his bed, frantically looking around. He slips on his shirt quickly buttoning it and making a beeline for the door. He believes the smoke is because of a fire and not because of some unknown force. He reaches for the doorknob, twists and pushes the door open. “Hello.” A deep voice greets him, Jonghyun’s eyes round over with surprise and he stares blankly at the white haired man in front of him. “Hello,” The man repeats, the smoke fading away. He was a few inches taller than Jonghyun, with broad shoulders protruding from the blood red shirt he wore and he had eyes that were slanted devilishly. The devil, Jonghyun thought, he’s the devil. “Who…are you…?” He asks stupidly and the white haired man laughs, dimples appearing in his cheeks. They were just a little too cute for a devil, Jonghyun thought relaxing somewhat. “You should know my name.”

“The…devil?” He questions taking a cautious step back, the young man stares at him, his bottom lip rolling out in what seemed to be a pout. “That’s just rude,” He snaps and Jonghyun’s lips press together nervously. “It was on the card, ,” The man sighs, shoving a hand through his hair, the strands are pushed back before fluttering down over his eyes—it was hypnotizing in a way. Jonghyun stares at him almost forgetting that he had been called a . “Come on Jonghyun, at least humor me, I’ve been watching over you since I started this job.”

“Excuse me?” Jonghyun leans forward. “I started ‘my work’ when I was around mmm, eighteen, they told me to choose one subject.”

“Subject?”

“So I chose you.” The man slugs him in his shoulder, Jonghyun stumbles back. “I read all about you in the files up-top; sister complex at age ten? That’s really cute.” The man smiles and it made Jonghyun feel this weird sensation in his heart and then elsewhere that he hadn’t felt in ages. It was a snarky smile, but at the same time there was an undertone of ual intrigue in the way the mans lips curled up. “I didn’t have a complex….”

“Right, you were too young to know about love.”

“Yeah….” The man looks at him, his feline eyes settling on Jonghyun. “My name is Key.” He finally says, so this is the person whose name was written on the card. “My human name is Kibum, I prefer that one more.”

“So you’re telling me to call you Kibum?”

“Yeah,” Kibum takes a step forward, breaking the distance between them. “Doesn’t it feel nice to say my name?” There was a gleam in his eyes, but still an air of innocence surrounding him. “I like the way it sounds.”

“Aren’t you a bit self-centered?” Jonghyun asks, but Kibum doesn’t seem the least bit fazed by the accusation. “Self-centered, rude, honest, confident…” He leans in again. “You choose.” Jonghyun could smell a scent that was reminiscent of chocolate and roses, his nose wrinkles up causing Kibum to laugh gently. “Just like the reports said.” He murmurs and Jonghyun’s eyebrows furrow with confusion. “Reports?”

“You dislike the smell of chocolate.”

“Maybe…”

“You can’t lie to your cupid.”

“I’m not lying—wait…cupid?”

“You have a lot of questions.” Kibum says brushing past him to lay across his bed. Jonghyun spins around. “Of course I do, you appear out of nowhere and just—get off my bed!” He yells, Kibum looks over to him, the smile on his face dropping away. “You need to fall in love.” He states and Jonghyun’s expression falters. “What?”

“I can’t improve my status if you don’t fall in love.”

“Stop talking to me as though I’m someone who knows what you’re talking about.” Jonghyun snaps, his fists clenching at his side. Kibum rolls his eyes. “I’m a cupid, the giver of love, I have wings. Where I come from the more subjects you get to fall in love, the higher your status and the higher your status you can attain a nice golden bow.” Kibum’s eyes twinkled as he spoke. “I’ve been waiting for years for you to fall in love.” He sits up, his slender legs crossing. Nice legs, Jonghyun thought briefly. “I thought for sure that girl you dated in twelfth grade was the one.”

“She didn’t understand when I spoke in metaphors.”

“No, you did that purposefully because you grew bored.”

“I only grew bored because she stopped being interested in what I was interested in.” Jonghyun fires back and Kibum quirks his left brow. “Aren’t you a bit self-centered?” He questions firing Jonghyuns previous question back at him. “You—just get out.” He goes over to yank Kibum off of his bed, but the cupid disappears before Jonghyun could reach him. “I’ve been looking around and you had a chance with that girl at the café.” He was leaning against the door of Jonghyun’s closet now. Jonghyun gasps. “How’d you…”

“Listen, babe,” Kibum begins and Jonghyun’s heart hammers. “If you don’t fall in love by the end of this week,” He takes an elegant step forward, the hand behind his back holding a silver bow and arrow. “I’ll steal your heart.” He points the of the arrow at Jonghyuns chest, staring into his eyes. “Understand?” Jonghyun nods, his head bobbing up and down stupidly. Kibum pulls the arrow back and it disappears in a flash. His gaze lingers on Jonghyun and with an approving hum he hooks a finger beneath Jonghyun’s chin. “You’re handsome and you’re smart,” He says, his voice softening. “Use that to your advantage and not just for .” Jonghyun stares at him. “And why not?” He says smartly. Kibum continues to smile. “Because, if you do that, love will find you.”

“Love doesn’t have legs, it can’t go out searching for me.”

“Do I look like a regular ol’ human to you? This arrow of mine, its love and I’ll shove it up your and make you see hearts and roses for the rest of your life.” Jonghyun’s eyes bug and his buttocks clench together in fear. Kibum removes his finger from Jonghyun’s chin and announces. “I’ll be staying here with you and I’ll also be following you around.”

“You’re not a cupid, you’re just a freeloader.” Jonghyun bites and Kibum looks to him with obvious disdain. “I’m serious about shoving my arrow up your , don’t think I haven’t done it before.” Jonghyun swallows; he was scared out of his wits but also intrigued by this so-called “cupid” he wondered how far he could push him. “So you’re into arrow penetration then?” He asks with a smirk and Kibum walks towards the door, the scent of roses and chocolates in his wake. “I never thought of it like that…” He murmurs and Jonghyun’s smirk broadens thinking he actually won whatever this was becoming. “Huh,” Kibum says with a tone of amazement. “I think I prefer the usual, an arrow’s just a little dangerous.” The expression he wore was promiscuous. “Then why do it to me?” Jonghyun asks, his voice high, Kibum grins. “As punishment for not falling in love.”

“But you have nothing against penetration in general?”

“These questions are a bit personal.” Kibum says stepping out of the room. “Don’t just evade my question like that.” Jonghyun calls and Kibum glances over his shoulder. “All of this interest you have about me, focus it on that girl you saw earlier.”

“But, why?”

“It’s for your own good.”

“I’m not scared of your threats, Kibum.”

“They won’t just be threats, Jonghyun, if you don’t fall in love.” Kibum’s expression turns grim. “Do you know what happens when a cupid steals a humans heart?”

“N—no…”

“We keep it, we keep it forever locked away—imprisoning you and once your life ends, your heart is devoured by us.”

“That doesn’t sound so bad.”

“Oh my god, you’re an idiot.”

“I wouldn’t go that far.” Jonghyun says offended. “It’s horrible, even when you feel yourself falling in love with someone else, you can’t be with that person, because the cupid has taken claim of your heart and love….love will become nothing.”

“It already is to me.”

“You say that now…” Kibum sighs. “I’m tired of all this talk upon our first meeting.” He waves his hand. “Where’s the bathroom?”

“Are you going to—“

“I just want to shower.”

“Oh…then down that hall.” Kibum nods, following Jonghyun’s directions and walking down the hall. Jonghyun stares after him thinking—despite all that had happened—would Kibum still come out smelling like chocolates and roses after showering?