Don't Break My Arrow

I Don't Do Valentines

Jonghyun paces up and down his bedroom his cellphone clutched in his hand. There were three days left and right now he was deciding whether or not he should call Jooyoung. “Make Kibum happy or go in the bathroom? Make Kibum happy or go in the bathroom, make--“ suddenly his phone rings and it flies out of his hands as the continuous ringring penetrates his ears. He snatches it up falling onto his bed and staring up at the ceiling. “Hello?” he answers and a warm voice answers on the other end. “Jonghyun, hey, I just wanted to call you.”

“Haha, do you want to meet up?”

“No, no, I just wanted to talk.”

“Oh…” it had been a while since he actually talked to someone and not just go straight to the making out part. And now dating seemed like a speeding truck coming straight for him. “About what?”

“Anything and everything, babe.” Jonghyun shifts uncomfortably as he thought about Kibum calling him that. Babe; it was such a simple word coming from Jooyoung’s lips. “That’s cute.”

“What is?” Jooyoungs voice was soft and Jonghyun thought about that same tenderness coming from Kibum’s lips. What would it sound like? Was such a voice, such an affection, reserved for Haeil? That was the past, he’s gone and done with—look at me, I’m right here—in the present! Jonghyun’s heart was racing and it felt like he had run a mile. You can’t think like that—he can’t steal your heart. “The way you say babe.” Jonghyun lies, rolling onto his stomach and closing his eyes. “Really? Or do you just like it because you know it’s directed towards you?” Jooyoung questions in a teasing tone and Jonghyun knew that if he didn’t stop, this conversation was going to take a more ual turn. “Maybe…”

“Listen, babe,” Kibum said upon their first meeting. Jonghyun’s hand slips down and he hesitates as he turns on his side.  “I want to know more about you, Jonghyun.”

“Really?”

“Yeah, I want this to become something.” Jooyoung sounded sincere and Jonghyun just wanted to cut the conversation and think of the way Kibum’s hair glittered. “…me too…” but he didn’t sound nor feel as sincere as Jooyoung. As they talked Jonghyun kept thinking about Kibum’s wings and the little sound he made and with every thought of Kibum his hand would snake down his stomach and towards his sweatpants. “Have you composed anything?”

“Not really, I’ve been busy…” he murmurs thinking back to how his life was interrupted by Kibums sudden appearance and he smiles. “Maybe I’ll inspire your next song.” Jooyoung teases and Jonghyun snorts because that wasn’t happening. He had already begun a mental piece with the first line already thought of: not bland yet not too heavy. It didn’t make much sense now but it would later at least he hoped it would. “Yeah, maybe you will.” Jooyoung talked on about how he got into guitar playing and Jonghyun half listened as he thought about doing something with his hand that Kibum probably wouldn’t approve of. “And so your mom got you into music?” He questions. “Yes, the first song I wrote was for her.” Jonghyun replies softly, his brown eyes flicking towards the window where the bright sun was shining a warm yellow. “That’s sweet.”

“Really? I always thought that I should do more for her.”

“But that was the best you could do then.” Jooyoung replies and Jonghyun hums but not in agreement. His hand was hovering over the band of his boxers and he kept plucking at it with his forefinger. He wondered where Kibum was; maybe he was floating up and down the hall or in the clouds and watching, waiting for Jonghyun to take the next step in the dating process. The clocks a’ticking. “What are you really doing right now Jonghyun?” Jooyoung’s voice reappears with curious skepticism.  “I’m thinking…” Jonghyun’s tongue was stuck to the roof of his mouth. “About…someone..”

“Who?” Jooyoung asks and he swallows. “Someone who won’t leave me alone.” Jooyoung laughs dryly. “Are you talking about me?” Jonghyun returns his just as dry laugh and closes his eyes. “Yeah, guess so.”

“What are you thinking about me?” Jonghyun’s hand slips past the band of his boxers and down to the heat of his groin. “Your eyes and their almond-y shape and your lips…” his tongue flicks out to run across his chapped lips. “I don’t think this is right…he warns me…but I can’t stop it…”

“Jonghyun are you talking about someone els—“ the door swings open, hitting the wall and startling Jonghyun in the process. He jerks upright, his hand still down his pants and he stares with wide eyes at Kibum’s sparkling figure. “What the hell!? Is there a fire!?”

“No.” Kibum deadpans and Jonghyun exaggeratedly rolls his eyes. “Then why the did you just barge into my roo—“

“Sssh,” Kibum places a finger to his lips and Jonghyun’s cheeks flushed slightly and he couldn’t help but think about how hot that simple action was when Kibum did it. “He’ll hear you.” Kibum mouths pointing to the phone, Jooyoung was still on the line. “It’s too late for that, may as well put him on speaker.” Jonghyun replies doing just that. “Jooyoung, my roommate decided to join in our conversation.” He says sweetly, a corner of his lips twisting into a grin. Kibum rolls his eyes and flips Jonghyun off, the action had Jonghyun rolling with laughter. “Such a cute face.” he cracks and Kibum picks up a pillow from the floor to throw at him. Jonghyun doges it, his expression shining brightly. “Plan a date, hook-up and say that you’ll continue seeing him.” Kibum says soft enough so Jooyoung couldn’t hear. Jonghyun’s eyes narrow. “Are you leaving?”

“Soon enough.” Kibum replies matter-of-factly and Jonghyun tugs on the collar of his shirt. He knew it was coming, but still so soon. “Come sit.” Jonghyun pats the spot beside him on his bed. Kibum eyes it suspiciously, Jooyoung remained silent on the other end. Hesitantly Kibum walks over to Jonghyun, he stares him down before plopping on the bed beside him. Jonghyun smiles. “Jooyoung?”

“Yes?” His voice reappears gruff and a hint annoyed. Kibum clutches his hands in his lap. “Kibum wants me to go out on another date with you.” Jonghyun keeps his eyes locked on Kibum’s. “That’d be nice.”

“Wouldn’t it?” Jonghyun’s hand was creeping up Kibum’s thigh, but his expression remained blank as though his hand had a mind of its own.  “Tell me about Haeil.” Jonghyun’s eyes read, but Kibum said nothing. “Hey, Jooyoung..”

“Hmm?”

“I’ll call you later.”

“Huh? Oh…okay.” Jonghyun hangs up, placing his phone behind him and tilting his head as he stared at Kibum. “You know all about me, it would only be fair.”

“No.”

“Why not?” and there his hand was, creeping further along Kibum’s thigh. “Because I told you already.”

“No…you didn’t.”

“Stop messing with me Jonghyun.” Kibum turns away from his gaze. Jonghyun leans towards Kibum and whispers. “I’m not messing with you, I like yo—“ Kibum turns and slaps a hand over Jonghyun’s mouth. “Don’t say it.” Jonghyun blinks, his eyes wide. “You can’t say it.” His heart was racing and he quickly rises up from the bed. Jonghyun stares after him offended. “Kibum, what…why…?” Kibum turns to him and shakes his head. “It’s happening and I can’t stop it.” He murmurs placing a hand to his heart. “It’ll happen all over again and it’ll trap you.”

“What are you talking about?”

“Love, Jonghyun, cupids and humans aren’t supposed to mess around with it.” Jonghyun rises to his feet and steps towards Kibum. “But didn’t you tell me that you would steal my heart, isn’t that what’s happening right now?” he was mad now, his eyes wavering as they rested on Kibum’s frantic expression. “How come Haeil got to experience your love and I can’t? Huh?”

“That…it was my fault…”

“Was it now?” Jonghyun grips Kibum’s shoulders. “Make it your fault all over again, I don’t care if I’m trapped by you, I don’t care.”

“You should!” Kibum knocks his hand away and glares. “Hearts aren’t supposed to be trapped, that’s how they die off.”

“How can my heart possibly die off when you give me a new reason to live!?” Jonghyun screams and Kibum’s eyes widen in shock, he takes an airy step back. “Jonghyun…”

“I think—no—I know I’m falling in love with you. I couldn’t give two s about Jooyoung.” Sad but true. “I only went out with him because it made you happy and when you’re happy you smile and I like your smile, okay.” He runs a shaky hand through his hair. “.” He curses turning from Kibum, his hand still in his hair. Kibum stares at Jonghyun’s back, his blonde hair shining brightly and his heart flutters. Ever so softly he begins to speak. “Haeil…was my everything…”

“I don’t want to hear that right now, Kibum.” Jonghyun grunts, biting his bottom lip. “Listen,”

“I don’t wa—“ Kibum rushes forward and grips Jonghyun’s wrist, he spins him around and slams his hand against his chest. “I know you feel it.” And Jonghyun sure could—the steady thumpthump of Kibum’s heart was beating against his palm. “Haeil made me feel that way, I loved him, admired him even. He was into that save-the-earth type stuff.” Kibum laughs lightly. “He made me see so many things and I knew he loved me too, but it couldn’t work…” Jonghyun listens. “So I…I found him a nice girl and shot them both with my arrow…they fell in love.” Jonghyun’s eyes widen, Kibum’s gaze drops to his feet. “It didn’t take long…he didn’t forget about me, he thanked me and then told me that my job was done…”

“Kibum,”

“They married each other.” Jonghyun didn’t want to hear the rest of it. “Sometimes I think about what would have happened if we went all the way, if I didn’t shoot him and we continued to be together.” Kibum sighs. “I even thought about stealing his heart and trapping him forever.” He laughs bitterly. “I both despised and congratulated myself for ever loving him…his eyes were so warm….” Kibum moves Jonghyun’s hand away and looks into his eyes. “Don’t make me do that again, please.” He begs and Jonghyun begins to shake his head. “I won’t mind.”

“You don’t know that.” Kibum begins to turn away, but Jonghyun grips his arm. “You don’t know me then, Kibum.” Kibum looks over his shoulder and smiles sadly. “You tell me to fall in love, but how am I supposed to do that when I already have you?” He pulls Kibum back and pushes him down onto the bed. “I want to know…” he climbs ontop of Kibum. “What Haeil missed out on, what you didn’t give him,” He leans towards Kibum’s lips. “Give it to me.” Kibum blinks and he brings his hands to Jonghyun’s chest to push him away but stops before doing so. “Jonghyun…”

“What is it?”

“Your heart feels like it’s going to explode.”

“Yeah well, it’s the first time I’ve ever felt so nervous about making love to someone.” He admits shyly and Kibum laughs. “Lets not do this.”

“I’m not afraid.” Kibum sighs and begins to get up, but Jonghyun pushes him back down. “I’m not afraid.” He repeats and as though to affirm this he kisses Kibum. There’s a tangible shock that passes between them and Jonghyun pulls back slowly to look into Kibum’s eyes. “You can steal me away, trap me forever, you’re my cupid right?” he begins to lift Kibum’s shirt. “So teach me all you know about love.” He grins cheekily and Kibum stares up at him in shock before laughing to himself. “I thought you thought love was stupid.”

“It isn’t if it’s from you.” He replies instantly, kissing Kibum again to keep him from talking any further. Kibum’s eyes flutter and slowly his arms spread across Jonghyun’s back. Jonghyun inhales his scent of chocolates and roses and lets out a breathy groan. His hands crawl up Kibum’s shirt, feeling along his smooth skin. Kibum arches into his touch and Jonghyun thought something he hadn’t thought about at all, at least since he was ten. Could I marry this man? Kibum’s almond eyes look at Jonghyun gently and purely and his blonde hair creates that halo effect over his head again. “You’re ing beautiful.” Jonghyun blurts cupping Kibum’s face and pressing their lips together again.

Valentines day was fast approaching, but Jonghyun’s heart was already claimed by his annoyingly cute cupid. Chocolates no longer seemed like , but like the color of Kibum’s eyes and roses no longer looked like prickly cactus’s of superficial love, but of the red and pink hickeys lining Kibum’s skin. 

 

A/N sooooooo I think the next chap will be the last one ^^ things went by quicker in this one because I didn't have plans of making it as long and in depth as my other fics. The arrow is a symbol of the heart, so yeeeep. Thanks for reading! I'll see you next time!