-02-

Mystery? Or Jealousy.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Sit down.” He orders. I’m confused. “I say, sit down.” He repeats again. I sit on the nearest seat on the sofa. Mark walks into the kitchen, opens the fridge and takes out an ice pack. He comes back and sit beside me. He puts the ice pack on my swollen injury. “Hold this.” He commands and I follow. Then, he slightly unties the laces of my heels and takes it off. I am surprised and fluttered by his action. We keep in this silence and Mark just continues working on my injury with that ice pack. He yawns out of nowhere. I guess he is really tired as well.

“It’s okay, Mark. I can fix it myself.” I refuse his help but he insists by holding my foot up to his lap. He doesn’t talk much and I don’t know what to do. He continues to massage my swollen foot. It is pain and I try to endure all this pain by biting my lower lips.

I know he scans me from the corner of his eyes, “This will help.” His words are all indeed short while he is yawning more. His massage turns to something really comfortable that it drives away my tiredness after a few moments.

“Mark,” I call and he doesn’t say anything or signal so I call again. He nods, “I’m listening.”

“Just leave me if you’re tired. I can handle it by myself.” I say. He stands up from the sofa and I follow. “Just sit down. Get some rest. I can leave by myself.” He insists and walks toward the entrance, “Don’t move too much.” With that, he leaves in the dark.

 

A few days after all the incidents, my feet is still in the process of recovering after visiting the doctor. Of course, about the assignment, I have written a letter to Mr. Lee and explained that I would gladly prefer a solo assignment rather than working with people. However, the reply is not what I was expecting. It says no, and I should learn to work with new people starting with this project. Not a good news for me. And Mr. Lee should try to work with some cold people just like Mark and he would know why I am this mad.

I should at least let Mark know we are STILL in a group. So, I text Jaebum.

Emmelynn: Hey Jaebum, are you with Mark?

Jaebum: Yes. Why?

Emmelynn: Please tell him that I had failed to withdraw myself from the group. And we still have assignment to work out.

This is so embarrassing to tell Jaebum and also Mark after that day that I have said those things with all my dignity. After a few minutes, my phone beeps.

Jaebum: He says, “Whatever”.

Emmelynn: What does that mean?

Jaebum: I don’t know. And I am not your carrier pigeon.

Emmelynn: I am sorry Jaebum. I am truly sorry.

Jaebum: It’s okay Emmie. We are in Bean Café now if you want to meet him in person.

Well, I think I should not trouble Jaebum with my problem. I should talk to Mark to get all these stupid things done. After changing in my usual tees and jeans, with my jacket, I leave to the said café. I try any possible way to start this conversation with Mark, but I just can’t think of anything that I would be less embarrassing.

With a heavy heart, I push open the clear glass door. The bell chimes notifying the staffs that a new customer arrives. I see the table that fits 7 person and walks over with my still-painful foot while I am acting all well.

“Hey, Emmie.” Youngjae notices me and greets. Well, they probably calling me some sort of nicknames after that day that brings us closer to each other. “What brings you here?”

“I am here for…” I stutter, “Mark.” The boys except Jaebum look surprise while eyeing each other. “It is not what you think. I- uhh…” I turn to Mark. “Can we talk privately?”

I try to be less embarrassing with this suggestion but I was wrong. The guys are more concern and worry. “Did anything happen to you, Emmie?” Jinyoung asks worriedly.

“No. Nothing’s wrong.” I brush my nape while smiling bitterly. “Just some assignment to do with th- Mark.”

“Oh I see.” Bam Bam looks at both Mark and I. “Mark hyung! You should help Emmie! She looks like she is in big trouble!”

Oh my gosh! Thank you Bam Bam! I truly owe you once. He does help me being less embarrassing in front of Mark. Because I know, Mark is kind of attached to his so-called ‘brother’ and he couldn’t reject them if they want him to help me.

I look at Mark, “You know, I tried Plan B, but it failed. So please~” I try to act cute and plead him by rubbing my palms together. He probably knows what I am talking about.

He sighs and gives me his phone. “What?” I am confused.

“Your number.” He signals me to take his phone. I quickly enter my phone number and return his phone back to him. A few moments later, my phone vibrates in silence. “That’s my number. Text me when you want to do the assignment.”

I look at my phone probably smiling like an idiot. “Great! Awesome! Thank you so much, Mark! I promise I will finish this as fast as possible.” I back away from the group while still smiling to myself and I don’t notice I am walking too fast until my injured foot is hurting. “Ahh~!” I whimper quietly.

“Are you okay?” Youngjae and Yugyeom rush over to my side. I just wave to them, signalling I am all fine. Luckily I am wearing pants that they can’t see the swollen on my left foot. With half bowing half backing, I manage to leave the guys, “Gotta go. See you guys around.”

Thank God. Finally, I have gotten Mark to do this group assignment with me.

 

Getting a seat in the library during school break is easy, especially at 9am. I have texted Mark the day before, saying that we should meet by this day early in the morning and get things all done just in one day (which I hope we can). However, this guy didn’t reply me. I still hope he read the message and meets me here.

The chair beside me is being pulled out after 15 minutes wait. I look up and see Mar

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter